Author Topic: Stolen and Cashed Check.. Bank is not Helping Either...  (Read 10568 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Stolen and Cashed Check.. Bank is not Helping Either...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
And BTW, seems that this could be the solution:

http://argentina.usembassy.gov/other-services.html
Great! My brother got quotes for around $20 for notary and around $50 for "international".. In any event, I still believe this is just the bank being a hassle and they won't even make use of the notarized documents..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
May determine if regulated by OCC.
Who is OCC? And would that change things?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
Who is OCC?

BBB isn't a government organization, I think he means something like one of these:

http://www.federalreserveconsumerhelp.gov/
http://www.occ.gov/topics/consumer-protection/index-consumer-protection.html
http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/complaints/index-file-a-bank-complaint.html

Hows that for options...

And would that change things?

As a gov/regulatory agency, they might be able to put pressure on the bank to resolve this quickly and with as little hassle as possible.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »
As a gov/regulatory agency, they might be able to put pressure on the bank to resolve this quickly and with as little hassle as possible.
The question is if he files a complaint with those agencies, and for some reason they don't help, could the bank just reject him later because he filed a complaint?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
The question is if he files a complaint with those agencies, and for some reason they don't help, could the bank just reject him later because he filed a complaint?

I don't know what the bank is legally required to do. If they're legally required to resolve this issue in a case of fraud (like the law is for CC issuers) then he's safe with filing a complaint.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »

+1
IME the bank was real quick to respond to them.  The OCC/OTC/FTC gives the bank a time frame for a response.  So they aren't able to just keep pushing them off like the way they push off customers.

My story was a bit different then yours, but I can tell you that the bank was really cooperative ehen the OCC got involved and they made sure to resolve everything in my favor.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:22:47 PM by Saver2000 »

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »
I think everyone is making this way too complicated. These are pretty much standard forms. Fill them out and send them in. The money will be put back in the account and most likely that will be the last you hear about it.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
I think everyone is making this way too complicated. These are pretty much standard forms. Fill them out and send them in. The money will be put back in the account and most likely that will be the last you hear about it.

+1

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »
Looks like you don't know Apple Bank...

Offline Side incomer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
+1
Banked with them for a month, and I real quick got their impression of שלי ושלך שלי.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
Never dealt with Apple but other banks in similar situations.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
Stolen and Cashed Check.. Bank is not Helping Either...
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »

Never had any real issues and the one time I had a check returned they gave me back the $35 without a second glance

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:32 PM »
Never had any real issues and the one time I had a check returned they gave me back the $35 without a second glance
You belong in the Guinness book of records then  ;D

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »
+1, better to stay away from them. Too many people have problems with Apple.

Side point: they seem to like to set up shop in frum communities.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Update: My brother is yet to go to the US embassy to get the form and affidavit notarized. Will keep whover is interested posted as the story unfolds.
Hope it doesn't become too much of a "story".

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »
Update: My brother is yet to go to the US embassy to get the form and affidavit notarized. Will keep whover is interested posted as the story unfolds.
Hope it doesn't become too much of a "story".
Update about this:
My brother got the papers notarized at the US embassy in Buenos Aires (actually the guy crossed out the word "notary public" and instead he used his stamp that says "vice consul", BH they accepted it). I think he had to pay around $50.
I submitted the papers to Apple Bank about a month ago. A week later the requested more of a lengthy statement regarding how the events of the theft took place.
Earlier this week I got a call from the local branch manager that I should come pick up the check. I was there this morning and among other thing he tells me: "We decided to terminate our relationship with him" (LOL as if we would EVER do any business with them again) he claims that my brother "neglected the checks" and was "inconsistent" and on his report and that they think he knows who stole it. Blah blah blah, because my brother has no clue who the heck stole it and he has different people working as cleaning ladies as he doesn't have a steady one.

I asked him if he would make the check out on my name so that I could endorse it and deposit it instead of having to send it half way around the world to get it endorsed and back and he said that his signature is their proof of payment so it has to be on his name.
In any case, I already gave it to someone who is flying there  tonight and returning after Shabbos so that should work out nicely IYH.

I'm curious about the legalities of this, because if they really thought that my brother was inconsistent or neglected the checks, they would have had a case against him and an excuse not to refund the checks...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
Update about this:
My brother got the papers notarized at the US embassy in Buenos Aires (actually the guy crossed out the word "notary public" and instead he used his stamp that says "vice consul", BH they accepted it). I think he had to pay around $50.
I submitted the papers to Apple Bank about a month ago. A week later the requested more of a lengthy statement regarding how the events of the theft took place.
Earlier this week I got a call from the local branch manager that I should come pick up the check. I was there this morning and among other thing he tells me: "We decided to terminate our relationship with him" (LOL as if we would EVER do any business with them again) he claims that my brother "neglected the checks" and was "inconsistent" and on his report and that they think he knows who stole it. Blah blah blah, because my brother has no clue who the heck stole it and he has different people working as cleaning ladies as he doesn't have a steady one.

I asked him if he would make the check out on my name so that I could endorse it and deposit it instead of having to send it half way around the world to get it endorsed and back and he said that his signature is their proof of payment so it has to be on his name.
In any case, I already gave it to someone who is flying there  tonight and returning after Shabbos so that should work out nicely IYH.

I'm curious about the legalities of this, because if they really thought that my brother was inconsistent or neglected the checks, they would have had a case against him and an excuse not to refund the checks...

I'm glad it worked out!

I'm not sure, though, what your confused about regarding the legalities in your last paragraph...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:38 AM »
I'm glad it worked out!

I'm not sure, though, what your confused about regarding the legalities in your last paragraph...
The bank manager kept on implying all along the way that it was my brothers fault that the checks were stolen.
I actually asked him about refunding some returned check fees, and he said something to the effect of "he should be happy that he got $2,200 and shouldn't ask for anything more" as if he is not rightfully entitled to getting refunded.

So my question basically is: If they're insisting that it was my brothers fault why are they refunding him then? Is it because they are legally required to regardless?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
The bank manager kept on implying all along the way that it was my brothers fault that the checks were stolen.
I actually asked him about refunding some returned check fees, and he said something to the effect of "he should be happy that he got $2,200 and shouldn't ask for anything more" as if he is not rightfully entitled to getting refunded.

So my question basically is: If they're insisting that it was my brothers fault why are they refunding him then? Is it because they are legally required to regardless?

I can't say for sure regarding the banking regulations, but it's very possible it was worth the $2,200 just to be done with it, and not deal with any possible repercussions associated with denying you the $2,200.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper