Author Topic: US Airways and American Airlines merger  (Read 115750 times)

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:24:11 PM by Chaikel »

Offline Afight4ever

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: US Airways American Possible merger
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:30:11 AM »
I actually think its not too bad of an idea

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »
I actually think its not too bad of an idea
Unlike CO-UA merger, this will be a disaster IMO.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
Dumbest. Merger. Ever.
Yes, that even includes CNN Time Warner-AOL and Sprint-Nextel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Cashman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
Dumbest. Merger. Ever.
Yes, that even includes CNN Time Warner-AOL and Sprint-Nextel.
+1

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:47:58 AM »
Unlike CO-UA merger, this will be a disaster IMO.

Have you been reading FT or MP? The merger has been a disaster in many ways so far.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
Have you been reading FT or MP? The merger has been a disaster in many ways so far.
I don't think it's fair to judge a merger within the same month as such a massive systems integration.  A little patience for the PMUA reps to learn COs systems is required.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »
I don't think it's fair to judge a merger within the same month as such a massive systems integration.  A little patience for the PMUA reps to learn COs systems is required.

Perhaps but there were things that could have been done prior to full integration that weren't it seems. Such as training PMUA agents on Shares better. Also the LAX flight 90 craziness seems like t was an all PMCO issue (Perhaps arising from discontent from the merger??).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Perhaps but there were things that could have been done prior to full integration that weren't it seems. Such as training PMUA agents on Shares better. Also the LAX flight 90 craziness seems like t was an all PMCO issue (Perhaps arising from discontent from the merger??).
Nope, flight 90, along with all LAX flights, are staffed with PMUA agents with some roving CO agents to assist with Shares as needed.
And Shares is very hard to learn, no amount of "classwork" could prepare for real-world experience, though they did have some on the basics.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »
Nope, flight 90, along with all LAX flights, are staffed with PMUA agents with some roving CO agents to assist with Shares as needed.
And Shares is very hard to learn, no amount of "classwork" could prepare for real-world experience, though they did have some on the basics.

Did they fire all the PMCO agents? Where did you read/find out its all PMUA at LAX? It doesn't seem that way according to FT so I'm wondering where you would get that info from.

Maybe they should put one PMCO and one PMUA agent together to allow for better flexibility.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
Reread what I said.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:55:23 AM »
Reread what I said.

I understood what you said and if there are some roving then not all were fired but if only a few are roving there will still be too many if all the GAs are now PMUA. Nonetheless you still didn't answer my question about the veracity of your statement.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1326516-lax-meltdown-scary-situation-unbelievable-agents-18.html#post18238897
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1326516-lax-meltdown-scary-situation-unbelievable-agents-22.html#post18242452
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1328397-when-can-pmua-pmco-aircraft-use-others-respective-gates.html#post18261545

It seems from these that you're just conjecturing that because some people think that most stations are PMUA agents that all at LAX are. I don't think there is any proof in that. I think that no matter which airline you came from this is still terrible and handled improperly. The merger has not been smooth sailing and irrops seems to only be part of it based on the numerous threads on FT and MP.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
Are you joking?
Those 3 links are posts from sfogate, a PMCO gate agent, based in SFO, who said exactly what I just said.  PMUA agents are working the gates at most stations (presumably with the PMCO hubs of CLE, EWR, and IAH the notable exceptions) with PMCO agents like herself assisting as needed.

And btw UA compensated that OP with $1,000 in vouchers and 25K miles.  I'd go through that any day for that!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
I have to agree to LAX that this merger has been handled so far in a disastruous way, this after preemptively cutting them slack knowing that such a merger would not be easy at all.

I'm not basing my position on FT or others, but rather own experiences.

I would not exagerate if I'd say that this month alone I've spend an extra 30 hours on the phone related to their incompetence + system mistakes.

I wish Dan was right.

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
I'm loving this merger,they held an award flight for a week and already given 25,000 extra miles by mistake  :P
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline LAXtraveler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »
Are you joking?
Those 3 links are posts from sfogate, a PMCO gate agent, based in SFO, who said exactly what I just said.  PMUA agents are working the gates at most stations (presumably with the PMCO hubs of CLE, EWR, and IAH the notable exceptions) with PMCO agents like herself assisting as needed.

And btw UA compensated that OP with $1,000 in vouchers and 25K miles.  I'd go through that any day for that!

I saw who the posts were from and am aware where she works. But she doesn't work at LAX nor did she claim that those specific agents were PMUA agents. Doesnt really matter. But I have a flight out of LAX his week on UA and will see if I can find out and report back.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
I have to agree to LAX that this merger has been handled so far in a disastruous way, this after preemptively cutting them slack knowing that such a merger would not be easy at all.

I'm not basing my position on FT or others, but rather own experiences.

I would not exagerate if I'd say that this month alone I've spend an extra 30 hours on the phone related to their incompetence + system mistakes.

I wish Dan was right.

I'm not saying what's going on now isn't disastrous, however when you're merging 2 massive companies like CO and UA it's obvious that there will be merger pains for the first couple months.

I don't think it's fair to call the merger a disaster, though the month of March may go down as a disaster for UA.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
I saw who the posts were from and am aware where she works. But she doesn't work at LAX nor did she claim that those specific agents were PMUA agents. Doesnt really matter. But I have a flight out of LAX his week on UA and will see if I can find out and report back.
SFO is pretty much the exact same situation as LAX.  A PMUA hub with a massive UA presence and a tiny CO presence.

She said that "most stations it is sUA agents that are working all flights with sCO agents there to assist with any Share entry issues they have."

I'll take her word for it.