Author Topic: Around the world using aa miles tlv-bkk-hkg-pek-nrt-hnl-lax-jfk  (Read 20122 times)

Offline momo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Around the world using aa miles tlv-bkk-hkg-pek-nrt-hnl-lax-jfk
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
Hi everyone . My wife and i will im'h be going on a round the world trip in early march(in biz class thanks to citi and the mint ;)) I will be in bangkok for 2 days Hong Kong for 3 including shabbos, beijing for 4 days, and finally HAWAII FOR A WEEK  ;D!!!!!! We are not sure which islands yet. If anyone has any info regarding kosher food (i know that all these places have a chabad which is gr8, but just wondering about other rest.etc) and any fun and/or interesting things that we can do if they would share some tips/ knowledge with us . Thank you in advance. I will bli neder try to write a trip report.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Around the world using aa miles tlv-bkk-hkg-pek-nrt-hnl-lax-jfk
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
Wow-AWESOME!!!!!
How many miles was that?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
Wow, very exciting!
I think if you read Dans Trip reports on the main site of his Hawaii trip and Eli's trip report on the forums of his Asia trip  that should give you a very good starting point as they both were extremely detailed.
Here is the link to Eli's report;
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=1070.0

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
Thanks! It was 2 separate tickets first one was 30000 miles from tlv to bkk in biz. Second 1 was 115000 miles for the rest. I could have gotten one ticket for 130000 but award availability on rj in biz was impossible to find and instead of flying tlv-lon-bkk on ba or cx i figured i was best off just making 2 sep tix even though it cost me a bit more miles.
Thanx i read the trip report. Good stuff. Dan your hawaii trip and pics got me so excited about the week in hawaii i really cant wait. I only hope i can score a room close to the one you had.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
Thanks! It was 2 separate tickets first one was 30000 miles from tlv to bkk in biz. Second 1 was 115000 miles for the rest. I could have gotten one ticket for 130000 but award availability on rj in biz was impossible to find and instead of flying tlv-lon-bkk on ba or cx i figured i was best off just making 2 sep tix even though it cost me a bit more miles.
Thanx i read the trip report. Good stuff. Dan your hawaii trip and pics got me so excited about the week in hawaii i really cant wait. I only hope i can score a room close to the one you had.
if there wasnt availability, how did it help to make a separate ticket?

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »
when using a oneworld reward ticket you can only fly on one world airlines such as aa ba cx ib rj etc. I could not find any availability on royal jordanian so i booked a All Partner Award on elal which is a direct flight and really very cheap at only 30000 miles one way for biz class. I then booked a seperate ticket from bangkok for the rest of my trip
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:11:46 PM by momo »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
when using a oneworld reward ticket you can only fly on one world airlines such as aa ba cx ib rj etc. I could not find any availability on royal jordanian so i booked a All Partner Award on elal which is a direct flight and really very cheap at only 30000 miles one way for biz class. I then booked a seperate ticket from bangkok for the rest of my trip
Great strategy!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
for a oneworld, you dont have to start and end in the same city?

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
no you are allowed one open jaw as its called

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
did you book it thru elal or aa?

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
aa

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »
no apology necessary. if i dont end up buying them ill be sure to let you know where you can get them

thanks but as hard as it may be to believe Im not interested in them. I have  a ton of Hilton,.Marriott and SPG that I cant burn thru as fast as I earn them

That aside there are only a few Hyatts that I would want to stay at anyway, thusly why Im not a Hyatt member

that said I hope you want them for your World Tour, The Hyatt in PEK (Beijing and HKG are AWESOME) make sure to check out the pool at PEK it reminded me alot of the Hotels in Vegas not their pools its kewl Didnt stay at either a friend did so I was able to check them both out I was doing my Marriotts with Premium Pound certs (no longer around) so it cost me next to nothing and got some very nice Suites as a Plat and needed the night credit as well

havent made it to BKK as of yet

for Beijing heres a link for a great tour person and cheap  http://sinohotelguide.com/travel/index.php  I used them and people I know who booked via their Hotel spent for 1 day of tours what I did for 2 days I did the 1st 2 which basically is rushed but gets you to all of the main attractions
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:45:17 PM by steve2 »

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »
ok i agree with that im looking at the one that dan just stayed in in kauai its between that and one of the spgs there and also the one on maui also versus the spgs

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
as per your open jaw ? it is allowed 1 time anywhere in your itinerary

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
ok i agree with that im looking at the one that dan just stayed in in kauai its between that and one of the spgs there and also the one on maui also versus the spgs
On Kauai definitely stay at the Hyatt and NOT either of the SPG's.

On Maui it's a toss-up...but you may want to wait for that Maui trip report before you decide!

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »
 In bangkok i will probably stay in an spg not sure which one yet.In Beijing i am planning on staying at the st regis using c&p having a platinum spg make me the reservation. I've heard that they really treat plats well over there. In Hong Kong i'm looking to stay at the ic Gran Stanford just because its near the cahabad and i will be there over shabbos. That leaves me with hawaii where i have the option of either buying a bunch of hyatt nights or staying at spgs with c&P. Dan when you said that i should definitely not stay at the spgs in kauai  was that including the new st regis princville. It looks really gorgeous on the website and VERY expensive, but i think i can do 2 nights using the c&p of 8000 +150. Do you think it is worth it.(also a factor is that i will have to buy the nights to the stay at the hyatts, where i have no status, but for the spg hotels i already have the points plus i am a gold member+ i may have a plat make the reservation for me) As far as maui is concerned i am waiting for your trip report to help me decide. Sorry if this is ot dan, not sure where to post it.
And thanks steve2 for the link the prices look great. Did you do a personal tour or did you go with a group?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »
In bangkok i will probably stay in an spg not sure which one yet.In Beijing i am planning on staying at the st regis using c&p having a platinum spg make me the reservation. I've heard that they really treat plats well over there. In Hong Kong i'm looking to stay at the ic Gran Stanford just because its near the cahabad and i will be there over shabbos. That leaves me with hawaii where i have the option of either buying a bunch of hyatt nights or staying at spgs with c&P. Dan when you said that i should definitely not stay at the spgs in kauai  was that including the new st regis princville. It looks really gorgeous on the website and VERY expensive, but i think i can do 2 nights using the c&p of 8000 +150. Do you think it is worth it.(also a factor is that i will have to buy the nights to the stay at the hyatts, where i have no status, but for the spg hotels i already have the points plus i am a gold member+ i may have a plat make the reservation for me) As far as maui is concerned i am waiting for your trip report to help me decide. Sorry if this is ot dan, not sure where to post it.
And thanks steve2 for the link the prices look great. Did you do a personal tour or did you go with a group?

did the group it was all in English and was nice meeting people from all over the World 1/2 the van was empty as they do hold to that 10 people max. I didnt eat the meals but did drink the soda. also at the Great Wall instead of taking the cable car up I walked up and down a much better experience and had more tehn enough time

As for HKG there are 2 Chabads 1 on HK Island he used to be at the MO and now is up on top, the other in Kowloon where we stayed alot more touristy and I took the Star Ferry over after my friends moved after Shabbos to the Hyatt

Much better at Kililat Zion a reg minyan of Biz SYs and others doing biz in HKG and China. BTW join KZ for shaharis and they serve a free breakfast. They too have Shabbos meals theres a Sheraton thats a  5-10 min walk from KZ. I stayed across the road at the Renaissance that is closing up 2/10 link to KZ http://www.kehilat-zion.org/

If you want HKI theres a Hotel called Bishops Lei not far from the reg Chabad or Ohel Leah , its owned by the Church I know numerous people who when collecting in HKG stay there

Ill stick with KZ and next time the Sheraton or Holiday Inn around the corner on Nathan Lane from the Sher

KZ is located in a mixed use building with the 1st few floors being a shopping mall in an attirum , KZ is on the top floor of that mall and the restaurant is in the same place

<Post edited to delete "political" comments>
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:34:10 AM by Dan »

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »
Daven where ever you want - but don't write negetive things (especailly false) about others.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:35:04 AM by Dan »

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »
I have been to KZ many times and the food there is world-class. Definitely the best in Hong Kong. R' Meoded is a big Talmud Chacham and I feel lucky every time I spend Shabbos there. I have spent time at Chabad as well and they are very nice people and are very helpful as well

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:35:37 AM by Dan »

Offline Shlomi

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »
I can't believe it!
This is like watching the news on CNN - where the vicious Israeli soldier abusing the poor Palestinian!! >:(
Chabad has been sending Bochrim to Kowloon much before anyone was there. Chabad has been in HK for 26(!!) years.
Besides, even if you were here for a few times - you cannot judge and certainly not overrule.
(BTW, Chabad has more than one evidence the letters and the so-called 'Cheirem' are fake. It simply doesn't want to go that low...)

In the end of the day - every one knows Chabad is there simply to help other Jews, as oppose to other 'Communities' and 'Organizations' that were formed in the recent years which are there just for making money out of wealthy business people. (Trust me - you won't find them in Nepal, Cambodia or Vietnam selling a piece of Schnithzel for 200$ ;) )

And what does this all have to do with this forum? You are suppose to write about miles & hotels - not about politics...