Topic Wiki

Partner         Transfer Time      Names Need to Match?

Flying Blue          Instant

Virgin Atlantic      Instant

Etihad                 Instant (ymmv)

Hilton Honers      Instant

Jetblue                Instant
« Last edited by Yaalili on April 27, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »

Author Topic: A New Era For Citi Thank You Points  (Read 446973 times)

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: A New Era For Citi Thank You Points
« Reply #620 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »
If one has a Citi TY card that is ineligible to transfer points, would opening one of the eligible cards allow to transfer the points accumulated with the ineligible card?

Offline Nitantnel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 29, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
AA wants people to sign up for AA cards, not thankyou cards.
It works with BA for Chase, Delta with Amex, etc etc etc...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #622 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
It works with BA for Chase, Delta with Amex, etc etc etc...

And how many people actually spend on any of those cards?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
Out of the mileage community, I would assume a lot.

Offline Nitantnel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »

Well, I'm sure they have them for a reason. The average guy who wants to accumulate Delta miles does not look for an MR or SPG card.

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 30, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
If one has a Citi TY card that is ineligible to transfer points, would opening one of the eligible cards allow to transfer the points accumulated with the ineligible card?
Yes. Call Thank You and have them combine the Thank You accounts from both cards so that all points are in one pool. You should then be able to transfer the points earned from all the cards.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 30, 2014, 12:33:37 AM »
Yes. Call Thank You and have them combine the Thank You accounts from both cards so that all points are in one pool. You should then be able to transfer the points earned from all the cards.
Thanks.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #627 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »
Well, I'm sure they have them for a reason. The average guy who wants to accumulate Delta miles does not look for an MR or SPG card.

Just because Chase and AmEx are willing to cannibalize their other card offerings does not make it good business.

And, I'd argue the overwhelming amount of miles earned in DL/AA/UA are earned from transferrable currency cards (i.e. SPG/Plat/SP) and not their co-branded brethren. I imagine that most people who are even the least bit engaged with the their FFN programs are aware of both the existence of transferrable points and the ability to earn  to use the parent-cards in a more lucrative manner than their co-branded counterparts.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #628 on: July 30, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
And, I'd argue the overwhelming amount of miles earned in DL/AA/UA are earned from transferrable currency cards (i.e. SPG/Plat/SP) and not their co-branded brethren.
And you'd be wrong.

The transferable cards exist for the savvy ones.  Our blogosphere is very small.  Most people that have UR and MR don't even use it for miles.  And majority of the country loves using their co-branded airline cards.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 30, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Not sure how you can unequivocally say that.

The whales, the guys putting 3MM+ per month on their cards, ain't doing it on a co-branded Delta card. Trust me. I personally know four such people.

Each one of these guys equals 3,000 average Joe's who spend their $1,000/mo on gas and groceries.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #630 on: July 30, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »
Not sure how you can unequivocally say that.

The whales, the guys putting 3MM+ per month on their cards, ain't doing it on a co-branded Delta card. Trust me. I personally know four such people.

Each one of these guys equals 3,000 average Joe's who spend their $1,000/mo on gas and groceries.
From talking to the card heads.

According to your logic we can just tax the 1% and let everyone else live tax-free.
Except that math doesn't work.  The collective 99% pay far more than the 1%.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
Well, by consequence,  you're also saying that adding AA as a partner of TY wouldn't materially cannibalize their vanilla offerings. Yet they haven't done it. It's clearly not due to their not being a relationship... So what is it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 30, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I never pretended to understand Citi's ways.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
From talking to the card heads.

According to your logic we can just tax the 1% and let everyone else live tax-free.
Except that math doesn't work.  The collective 99% pay far more than the 1%.
But the top 20% pay 93% of the taxes and the top 10 over 70% and top 1% over 35%. So the top is a very weighted portion of the market
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 30, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
But the top 20% pay 93% of the taxes
97% of Americans have never heard of a Sapphire Preferred card (and 98% of stats are made up on the spot) but they do know that in the airport they can earn 25K miles by signing up for an airline card and get free bags.
And they keep using that card.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
97% of Americans have never heard of a Sapphire Preferred card (and 98% of stats are made up on the spot) but they do know that in the airport they can earn 25K miles by signing up for an airline card and get free bags.
For sure. And they will only have a single airline card and be loyal to that airline, for the free bags.
The question is, what percentage of the revenue are they vs. the top 10% spenders, some of whom know more (or will have a Amex Plat/Gold for the prestige)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline EP123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
Chase has been heavily marketing the Sapphire Preferred card on all form of media, I would guess that more americans heard of Sapphire Preferred than they did of Starwood or many other cards

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 30, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
It's not a contradiction that the vast majority of 'average people' use the co-branded cards, and yet the vast majority of spend is done on the MR/SPG/CSP because of the lopsided spending of big businesses. It's also not a contradiction that we can't always read Citis' mind. They can all peacefully coexist.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 30, 2014, 01:49:14 PM »
yet the vast majority of spend is done on the MR/SPG/CSP because of the lopsided spending of big businesses.
The 1% doesn't do the vast majority of spending, the masses do.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »
Yes, but a much higher % of 'the masses' spends on MR/SPG/CSP than business do on co-branded.
It's quite feasible that 25% of  'the masses' spends on MR/SPG/CSP and I'd be pretty surprised if you have more than 2-5% of the huge spenders using co-branded.

The point is that no-one really has any hard data, so its just speculation, I'm just saying that's it's not necessarily a contradiction.