Author Topic: Finger Lakes, NY  (Read 13543 times)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Finger Lakes, NY
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »
This place looks nice and expensive, but will be closed on Chol Hamoed
http://www.thesagamore.com/
Give me a nice, modern, brand-name hotel and I'll be happy.
Happier if I can book with points.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
I stayed with a group at the Ramada inn in Queensbury. Nothing to write home about. Small room. But clean and they took care of us nicely. If I was going by myself would probably stay in lake George proper but IIRC they are no name brand hotels there. Also if you want to daven with a minyan may be kdai to stay in Queensbury as it's closer to minyan (will post details later, not sure it happens during bein hazmanim anyways)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:02 AM »
How about this?
I didn't do much research but seems like a pretty good choice besides for their check-in and checkout times (4PM-11AM)..
Anything better?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
Anyone ever been to Skaneateles? Thinking about taking a trip there sometime this summer.

Offline solls108

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Finger Lakes, NY
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Take out a boat
Anyone have experience with renting a motor boat there?

Offline yossi621

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
How about this?
I didn't do much research but seems like a pretty good choice besides for their check-in and checkout times (4PM-11AM)..
Anything better?

I'm actually going to be there August 30-Sep 1, will report back

Offline solls108

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
Thats when I want to go :)

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 01:16:24 AM »
How about this?
Anything better?
Please report back in the Lake George, NY Master Thread

Thats when I want to go :)
Just making sure you realize this hotel is by Lake George.

The last dozen posts are almost all about Lake George. Let's get this thread back on topic and put new Lake George information in the proper thread.

Offline chaim0m

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:42 PM »
Please report back in the Lake George, NY Master Thread
 Just making sure you realize this hotel is by Lake George.

The last dozen posts are almost all about Lake George. Let's get this thread back on topic and put new Lake George information in the proper thread.
Just putting this out there. Throughout the academic year there are 3 minyanim a day at Cornell University (Ithaca,NY) there is a kosher dining hall under the star k with a mashgiach temidi although there is not CY or Pas Yisroel. There is also an Eruv which covers most of Ithaca. This is all in the finger lakes region. There is a Hilton Garden Inn and a Marriott  (brand new Nov. 16) and other nice hotels. Search for Center for Jewish living at Cornell for more info.
travelcm

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
Anyone know of any activities near the northern end of the lakes? Near Route 90?

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
Stumbled across this thread (because someone tried starting a new thread)

A couple of things:
- Watkins Glen Racetrack (Nascar)
- https://www.visitithaca.com/

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 04:11:56 PM »
Watkins Glen State Park is awesome.

There's also the Corning Glass Factory.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Sounds like some here have been to Watkins Glen (so I'm @'ing all the people who have mentioned it and hopefully someone can help). @saw50st8 ; @yehuda ; @iwlw2 ; @shaulyaakov ; @Yonah   

We're planning to stop for a hike at Watkins Glen on the way up from the Poconos area to Niagara. We're aiming to be in Buffalo before 7 for dinner, so I need to budget out the time for various stops, including this hike. We have 2 couples and a 7, 6, 3, and <1 year old. One of the adults has limited mobility, and will therefore have to stay back (by the car, or in the general entrance area). The baby will either stay back with that adult, or come in a carrier.
  • So I guess the first question is whether there's anywhere to hang out at the entrance/parking area?
  • I see some suggestions that it might be best to hike to the best of the falls areas and then just turn back. What trail and to what point is this? I'm using this map as a reference, but I can't nail down where to go exactly:
    https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/WatkinsGlenTrailMap.pdf
  • ETA: Forgot the important part. How much time should I budget for the 'shorter' version of the hike?
  • Can younger kids handle it? The older boys are usually up for this kind of thing, but obviously can't handle anything too extreme. The 3 year old is somewhat limited, but might be able to hack it following his brothers if it's short enough.
TIA
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:21:48 PM by skyguy918 »

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2019, 01:24:10 PM »
Sounds like some here have been to Watkins Glen (so I'm @'ing all the people who have mentioned it and hopefully someone can help). @saw50st8 ; @@yehuda ; @iwlw2 ; @shaulyaakov ; @Yonah   

We're planning to stop for a hike at Watkins Glen on the way up from the Poconos area to Niagara. We're aiming to be in Buffalo before 7 for dinner, so I need to budget out the time for various stops, including this hike. We have 2 couples and a 7, 6, 3, and <1 year old. One of the adults has limited mobility, and will therefore have to stay back (by the car, or in the general entrance area). The baby will either stay back with that adult, or come in a carrier.
  • So I guess the first question is whether there's anywhere to hang out at the entrance/parking area?
  • I see some suggestions that it might be best to hike to the best of the falls areas and then just turn back. What trail and to what point is this? I'm using this map as a reference, but I can't nail down where to go exactly:
  • Can younger kids handle it? The older boys are usually up for this kind of thing, but obviously can't handle anything too extreme. The 3 year old is somewhat limited, but might be able to hack it following his brothers if it's short enough.
TIA

Well, as hashgacha would have it, I just made my third visit to Watkins Glen two days ago on my way back from Toronto, so I can give you a completely updated report!  :)
Sometime within the last year or so they completed an upgrade and redoing of the visitors center and gift shop on the bottom of the Glen (at the entrance/parking of the park) and while I didnt spend much time in there as I too was in a rush, it looks really nice. My reccomendation would still be to take the shuttle up and then walk down. The shuttle stop is right across the street from the park entrance, and it's only $5 a person with 10 and under being free. That meant for my family of two adults and six kids with only one being over 10, it cost only $15. The schedule seems a bit unclear, but definitely seems to go at least twice an hour (Be aware though that it says the last shuttle is at 5:30 P.M.). It takes about 10 min. to get to the top. Then just follow the Gorge trail down for some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen! (I wish I knew how to upload my pix...  ;)). The trail is very easy, mostly steps, and was easily navigable for my kids including a 10, 8, 5, and almost 3 year old, and the <1 baby who my wife and I traded off carrying the whole way down (I dont think a stroller can work). I am not one for much hiking, and this was seriously easy, more like a walk than a hike. It took us right around an hour without speeding through, but also not hanging around too much, as we were rushing a bit, it can easily stretch to 1.5 hours if you want to be a bit more leisurely about it. All in all, you will not regret doing it, I can guarantee that.

ETA: A couple of things I forgot to mention. First of all the trail is quite wet with puddles etc through a lot of it (probably varies depending on recent rain, did make for nice waterfalls though  :D) and you will get a bit wet from some of the waterfalls, dress and footwear accordingly. Also a good idea to take some water with you, although much of the way is shady due to the walls of the gorge, it can get hot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:33:14 PM by iwlw2 »

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »
Sounds like some here have been to Watkins Glen (so I'm @'ing all the people who have mentioned it and hopefully someone can help). @saw50st8 ; @yehuda ; @iwlw2 ; @shaulyaakov ; @Yonah   

No, other than just in the car/parking lot, although it was going under some sort of renovation in 2017 so maybe now there is a visitor center.
You go in the entrance tunnel, then follow the path along the water, which I think it called the Gorge Trail. Either way, almost everyone will be going the same route, so you won't get lost. IIRC Rainbow Falls is the last interesting point and you can turn around then. Alternatively, park at the upper lot and walk down the whole way, just turning around at each fall to see it and take pics. You'll be against traffic, but it'll be so much easier to walk. It's annoying to wait for the shuttle and have cash, so probably best to do the first option.
It's lots of steps, not too extreme. 3 year old will have difficulty IMO but like you said you can turn around 20 min in and be done, then it's all downhill steps and easy.
[/list]
TIA
Final point: remember my comments are from doing it at the end of a vacation, spending hours at the Museum of Play and all that driving. It was a stop we should have skipped in our situation.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

• ETA: Forgot the important part. How much time should I budget for the 'shorter' version of the hike?
TIA
It's a walk up steps, no hiking needed. I'd aim to spend 4 hours there.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »

Well, as hashgacha would have it, I just made my third visit to Watkins Glen two days ago on my way back from Toronto, so I can give you a completely updated report!  :)
Sometime within the last year or so they completed an upgrade and redoing of the visitors center and gift shop on the bottom of the Glen (at the entrance/parking of the park) and while I didnt spend much time in there as I too was in a rush, it looks really nice. My reccomendation would still be to take the shuttle up and then walk down. The shuttle stop is right across the street from the park entrance, and it's only $5 a person with 10 and under being free. That meant for my family of two adults and six kids with only one being over 10, it cost only $15. The schedule seems a bit unclear, but definitely seems to go at least twice an hour (Be aware though that it says the last shuttle is at 5:30 P.M.). It takes about 10 min. to get to the top. Then just follow the Gorge trail down for some of the most stunning scenery I've ever seen! (I wish I knew how to upload my pix...  ;)). The trail is very easy, mostly steps, and was easily navigable for my kids including a 10, 8, 5, and almost 3 year old, and the <1 baby who my wife and I traded off carrying the whole way down (I dont think a stroller can work). I am not one for much hiking, and this was seriously easy, more like a walk than a hike. It took us right around an hour without speeding through, but also not hanging around too much, as we were rushing a bit, it can easily stretch to 1.5 hours if you want to be a bit more leisurely about it. All in all, you will not regret doing it, I can guarantee that.

ETA: A couple of things I forgot to mention. First of all the trail is quite wet with puddles etc through a lot of it (probably varies depending on recent rain, did make for nice waterfalls though  :D) and you will get a bit wet from some of the waterfalls, dress and footwear accordingly. Also a good idea to take some water with you, although much of the way is shady due to the walls of the gorge, it can get hot.
Thanks, great info. Is the shuttle drop off point accessible to the public? If so, we could probably just have the adult who can't come drop us off, and wait for us at the visitors center. If we did that, you think an hour and a half from the drop off point is for sure enough?

Thanks everyone else for your responses as well.

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
Thanks, great info. Is the shuttle drop off point accessible to the public? If so, we could probably just have the adult who can't come drop us off, and wait for us at the visitors center. If we did that, you think an hour and a half from the drop off point is for sure enough?

Thanks everyone else for your responses as well.

Yes the shuttle drop off point is accessible, there's a parking lot up there as well (non-shuttle driving probably only 5 min. from park entrance) not sure exactly how to get there though, maybe ask at the visitor center. I think an hour and a half is for sure enough for just the gorge trail.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »
Yes the shuttle drop off point is accessible, there's a parking lot up there as well (non-shuttle driving probably only 5 min. from park entrance) not sure exactly how to get there though, maybe ask at the visitor center. I think an hour and a half is for sure enough for just the gorge trail.

I ended up setting Google maps to the Watkins Glen Upper Visitor Center. Paid the entry fee there and went in with my wife and kids. My in-laws both stayed in the car, driving around to the main entrance and waiting for us there. We did it pretty quickly due to time constraints - probably right around an hour. I wore my infant in a baby carrier, and also ended up carrying my 3yo down a bunch of the larger stair sections, but it wasn't particularly taxing for us overall. It's really a beautiful and pleasant walk when you do it backwards and don't have to hike up so many stairs. Thanks for the tip!

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »
Is the watkins glen hike doable for a 3 yo?
Are there any activities for young children in the region?