Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

So what do you get for having the card? These incredibly sweet benefits:
-Expanded award ticket availability
See DDMS for details, including here.
-Full United Club membership:
 This membership normally costs $395 per year for non-elites and it’s the only club network that can’t be accessed with the AMEX Platinum card or the Priority Pass lounge membership that comes with that card.
 A full United Club membership allows your entire family, or you and 2 guests, to enter hundreds of United and partner lounges worldwide, regardless of which airline you are flying of even if you are even flying at all!  Just show your membership card and you’re in!
 Here is a dreadfully incomplete list of lounges.  For example I’ve used my United membership card in Tel Aviv but they’re not listed. 
-Unlimited Airport Terminal Access:  **ENDING AUGUST 2016**
 Another very nice benefit of being a full United Club member is that you can access the secured part of the airport even when you’re not flying! When I pick someone up from the airport I often like to meet them at the gate and surprise them and go for a free drink in the club. All you have to do is go to the checkin counter, show your United Club membership, and request a gate pass to get past security to access the lounge.
 This will work in any airport where there is a United or USAirways lounge.
 With free wifi, snacks, drinks, newspapers, magazines, and even showers and free ironing services in some locations, you can even make the United Club your new office if you wanted to!
 Or you can just take your kid past security to see the planes taking off when not rushing to a flight, just like in the pre 9/11 days.
 See here more detailes about this benefit.
-1.5 United Miles per dollar spent everywhere!
 This blows every other card out of the water. You’ll get 1.5 miles for every dollar you spend anywhere.  No other card out there offers anything near this earning rate on everyday purchases!  Even the great Starwood card earns an effective 1.25 miles per dollar spent and those can’t be directly transferred to United (though they can be used on United via an airline like USAirways though they have harsher award policies), or the excellent Freedom card with checking offers 1.1 points per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
It’s not hard at all to get at least 1.8 cents value per mile (or much more than that), but at that rate it’s a 2.7% rebate on everything you buy. Considering you can pay your federal income taxes for a 1.89% fee, you will be able to load up on miles the next time you pay taxes and be excited about getting a discounted vacation out of it!  It would come out to a cost of just 1.26 cents per United mile, which is an incredible bargain (A business class ticket to Europe is 100,000 miles with no fuel surcharges, so you would be paying just $1,260 for business to Europe or $1,512 for business to Israel or the Maldives), plus you may even be able to deduct the 1.89% fee!
You also earn 2 miles per dollar on United purchases, though that is beat by the 2.14 points per dollar offered by Sapphire Preferred.
-2 Free Checked Bags:
 You and one companion automatically get 2 free checked bags on United worldwide. If you bring 2 bags each that’s a savings of $240 domestically or a savings of $400 to most international destinations (Europe, Israel, Argentina, Asia, Australia, etc) on a round-trip.
Not only that but additional cards are free, and although additional cardholders don’t automatically get 2 free bags like the primary cardholder, they will at the checkin counter by just showing the agent their United Club card. I have tested this out many times to confirm that this works. For a family of 4 with 8 checked bags you can split your itinerary into 2 after purchasing it, and then with 1 primary card and 1 additional card all 8 checked bags will be free, a savings of $480 domestically or $800 to most international destinations on a round-trip.
As the free luggage benefit can be attained by just showing a checkin agent your credit card, it will last until the card’s expiration date, which is 3 years from when you are approved.
-Premier Access and Boarding:
 You’ll get priority check-in, priority baggage handling (your bags will arrive ahead of the general public’s), and priority security line access.
 Plus you will board at the same time as Premier Silver elite members, ahead of Explorer cardholders, ahead of families with children, and way ahead of the general public, so that you will have plenty of space for your carry-ons.
-Waived Award Expedite/Close-In Fees:
 Those pesky $75 per passenger fees for booking an award ticket within 21 days (which is right when the best award availability starts to open up) are automatically waived for cardholders!
-No foreign Transaction fees:
 Get the best rates and pay no exchange rate fees.
-Hertz President's Circle Status:
 Cardmembers get President's Circle status at Hertz. After getting the card, register at https://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com/
-Hyatt Platinum Elite Status:
 Cardmembers get Platinum status at Hyatt, giving them free internet, upgrades, and bonus points. After getting the card, register at https://hyattstatus.mileageplus.com
As with the Explorer card, you also get these benefits:
-Primary CDW Rental Car Insurance:
 Almost all credit cards only offer secondary CDW rental car insurance, meaning that you must first file a claim with your personal insurance which will affect your rates. The United consumers cards cover accidents without the need to make any claim with your personal insurance and should definitely be your go-to card for all car rentals outside of Israel.
-Premier upgrades on award tickets:
 Premier members will be eligible for upgrades by being a United cardholder.
-Non-expiring miles:
 As long as you’re a United cardholder your miles will never expire.
-Last-Seat Standard Awards:
 As long as there’s a seat on the plane you’ll be able to use double miles for it. This level is now capacity controlled for general members.
-Other protections:
 -Travel Accident Insurance
 -Emergency Assistance
 -Trip Cancellation Insurance
 -Lost Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Trip Reimbursement
 -Extended Warranty Protection
 -Price Drop Protection
 -Purchase Protection
 -Return Protection
 -Worldwide Emergency Card Replacement

Source
Getting the AF waived After being approved for the card, you could SM and ask for the AF to be waived for the first year.

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Club Card  (Read 403253 times)

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Re: United MileagePlus Club Card
« Reply #1420 on: January 02, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
The membership wasn't raised for existing customers?
I just got charged $395
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:26:37 PM by Super Speed »

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 02, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
If I have no previous connection to United can I get the AF waived after applying online?
It's waived for the first year in branch.

Offline rockstarhockstar

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 02, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
It's waived for the first year in branch.
If I apply in branch will they ask for proof of income? Or is that something that is automatically done by their systems?

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 02, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
I'm assuming that the bonus doesn't apply within 2 years. How can I find out when I canceled this card (it was about 2 years ago)? I've tried sm, and they can't help me, as I don't have the card #. Even the social didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1424 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm assuming that the bonus doesn't apply within 2 years. How can I find out when I canceled this card (it was about 2 years ago)? I've tried sm, and they can't help me, as I don't have the card #. Even the social didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bonus isn't 2 years from when you close the card rather 2 years from when you received the last bonus.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: January 02, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »
Bonus isn't 2 years from when you close the card rather 2 years from when you received the last bonus.
You're kidding! So I waited 2 years for nothing? ??? :(

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: January 02, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
It says on all chase cards T&C's "This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months"

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: January 02, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
I'm sorry to hear...

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 02, 2016, 09:25:35 PM »
I'm sorry to hear...
Actually, on second thought, I only had it open for 2-3 months, so it's not that much of a difference. So back to my (revised) question: How can I find out when I got that bonus?

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:12 PM »
If I apply in branch will they ask for proof of income?
No, only proof of id

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 02, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »
How can I find out when I got that bonus?
The United club card has no welcome bonus (except a $100 statement credit). unless you're referring to the explorer card.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 02, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
The United club card has no welcome bonus (except a $100 statement credit). unless you're referring to the explorer card.
In back may be first year free.

Offline rockstarhockstar

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 02, 2016, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »
Maybe it was the Explorer card. I'm not so up on the details, as I let a yeshiva get the benefits, so they took care of it...

Offline Venilla

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Mothering
« Reply #1434 on: January 13, 2016, 09:21:29 PM »
In what form of payment is a current United Club member reimbursed, check?

What happens if I buy the membership today and get the card tomorrow, will I get the $50 Initiation fee back?
I like vanilla but my name is Venilla.

Online jackofall

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: January 14, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
What are my chances - using spouses club card to get Hertz PC status on my a account?
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline Venilla

• View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: January 18, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »
Does this card get me access to any partner lounges?

Online jackofall

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: January 18, 2016, 02:43:36 PM »
What are my chances - using spouses club card to get Hertz PC status on my a account?
Update: worked perfectly.
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline Venilla

• View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: January 20, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
How long dos it take for the card to be linked to my UA account? I was approved on the 13th.

I already see the digital club card in the app but it's still charging me the close in fee.

Offline gingyman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: January 20, 2016, 10:55:16 PM »
Just got a nice booklet for the plus card. Waiving the 450 fee for first year. Wondering if I should do it or not.