Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

So what do you get for having the card? These incredibly sweet benefits:
-Expanded award ticket availability
See DDMS for details, including here.
-Full United Club membership:
 This membership normally costs $395 per year for non-elites and it’s the only club network that can’t be accessed with the AMEX Platinum card or the Priority Pass lounge membership that comes with that card.
 A full United Club membership allows your entire family, or you and 2 guests, to enter hundreds of United and partner lounges worldwide, regardless of which airline you are flying of even if you are even flying at all!  Just show your membership card and you’re in!
 Here is a dreadfully incomplete list of lounges.  For example I’ve used my United membership card in Tel Aviv but they’re not listed. 
-Unlimited Airport Terminal Access:  **ENDING AUGUST 2016**
 Another very nice benefit of being a full United Club member is that you can access the secured part of the airport even when you’re not flying! When I pick someone up from the airport I often like to meet them at the gate and surprise them and go for a free drink in the club. All you have to do is go to the checkin counter, show your United Club membership, and request a gate pass to get past security to access the lounge.
 This will work in any airport where there is a United or USAirways lounge.
 With free wifi, snacks, drinks, newspapers, magazines, and even showers and free ironing services in some locations, you can even make the United Club your new office if you wanted to!
 Or you can just take your kid past security to see the planes taking off when not rushing to a flight, just like in the pre 9/11 days.
 See here more detailes about this benefit.
-1.5 United Miles per dollar spent everywhere!
 This blows every other card out of the water. You’ll get 1.5 miles for every dollar you spend anywhere.  No other card out there offers anything near this earning rate on everyday purchases!  Even the great Starwood card earns an effective 1.25 miles per dollar spent and those can’t be directly transferred to United (though they can be used on United via an airline like USAirways though they have harsher award policies), or the excellent Freedom card with checking offers 1.1 points per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
It’s not hard at all to get at least 1.8 cents value per mile (or much more than that), but at that rate it’s a 2.7% rebate on everything you buy. Considering you can pay your federal income taxes for a 1.89% fee, you will be able to load up on miles the next time you pay taxes and be excited about getting a discounted vacation out of it!  It would come out to a cost of just 1.26 cents per United mile, which is an incredible bargain (A business class ticket to Europe is 100,000 miles with no fuel surcharges, so you would be paying just $1,260 for business to Europe or $1,512 for business to Israel or the Maldives), plus you may even be able to deduct the 1.89% fee!
You also earn 2 miles per dollar on United purchases, though that is beat by the 2.14 points per dollar offered by Sapphire Preferred.
-2 Free Checked Bags:
 You and one companion automatically get 2 free checked bags on United worldwide. If you bring 2 bags each that’s a savings of $240 domestically or a savings of $400 to most international destinations (Europe, Israel, Argentina, Asia, Australia, etc) on a round-trip.
Not only that but additional cards are free, and although additional cardholders don’t automatically get 2 free bags like the primary cardholder, they will at the checkin counter by just showing the agent their United Club card. I have tested this out many times to confirm that this works. For a family of 4 with 8 checked bags you can split your itinerary into 2 after purchasing it, and then with 1 primary card and 1 additional card all 8 checked bags will be free, a savings of $480 domestically or $800 to most international destinations on a round-trip.
As the free luggage benefit can be attained by just showing a checkin agent your credit card, it will last until the card’s expiration date, which is 3 years from when you are approved.
-Premier Access and Boarding:
 You’ll get priority check-in, priority baggage handling (your bags will arrive ahead of the general public’s), and priority security line access.
 Plus you will board at the same time as Premier Silver elite members, ahead of Explorer cardholders, ahead of families with children, and way ahead of the general public, so that you will have plenty of space for your carry-ons.
-Waived Award Expedite/Close-In Fees:
 Those pesky $75 per passenger fees for booking an award ticket within 21 days (which is right when the best award availability starts to open up) are automatically waived for cardholders!
-No foreign Transaction fees:
 Get the best rates and pay no exchange rate fees.
-Hertz President's Circle Status:
 Cardmembers get President's Circle status at Hertz. After getting the card, register at https://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com/
-Hyatt Platinum Elite Status:
 Cardmembers get Platinum status at Hyatt, giving them free internet, upgrades, and bonus points. After getting the card, register at https://hyattstatus.mileageplus.com
As with the Explorer card, you also get these benefits:
-Primary CDW Rental Car Insurance:
 Almost all credit cards only offer secondary CDW rental car insurance, meaning that you must first file a claim with your personal insurance which will affect your rates. The United consumers cards cover accidents without the need to make any claim with your personal insurance and should definitely be your go-to card for all car rentals outside of Israel.
-Premier upgrades on award tickets:
 Premier members will be eligible for upgrades by being a United cardholder.
-Non-expiring miles:
 As long as you’re a United cardholder your miles will never expire.
-Last-Seat Standard Awards:
 As long as there’s a seat on the plane you’ll be able to use double miles for it. This level is now capacity controlled for general members.
-Other protections:
 -Travel Accident Insurance
 -Emergency Assistance
 -Trip Cancellation Insurance
 -Lost Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Trip Reimbursement
 -Extended Warranty Protection
 -Price Drop Protection
 -Purchase Protection
 -Return Protection
 -Worldwide Emergency Card Replacement

Source
Getting the AF waived After being approved for the card, you could SM and ask for the AF to be waived for the first year.

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Club Card  (Read 403200 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Introducing the new United MileagePlus Club Card
« Reply #520 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
Not sure if this was asked yet. Does the card get you free bags even after you cancel it? Also does the united club membership card work after you cancel this CC? Do they swipe it or just look at it when you enter the club?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #521 on: August 16, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
well, the club card has an expiration date on it, so i think even after u shut it down its valid thru the expiration date and the lugg q has been asked i just have never gotten it straight either  :D
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
Not sure if this was asked yet. Does the card get you free bags even after you cancel it? Also does the united club membership card work after you cancel this CC? Do they swipe it or just look at it when you enter the club?
Dan has said that even after you cancel your card all you have to do is show it to them to get free luggage. They dont look to see if it's active. The club I believe they must see your name in the computer so I don't know if just the CC will help.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline A European

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 16, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
I have the same question.
Any experience?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Dan has said that even after you cancel your card all you have to do is show it to them to get free luggage. They dont look to see if it's active. The club I believe they must see your name in the computer so I don't know if just the CC will help.

i am looking at my membershio card and it just says my name and my milage number and when its valid thru

also when i walked into the dan lounge they just needed to see my card (and my ticket which i wasnt flying with star alliance) but they were not sitting infront of any computers

this is what the card looks like its also very thin plastic

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #525 on: August 16, 2012, 02:28:17 PM »
i am looking at my membershio card and it just says my name and my milage number and when its valid thru

also when i walked into the dan lounge they just needed to see my card (and my ticket which i wasnt flying with star alliance) but they were not sitting infront of any computers

this is what the card looks like its also very thin plastic
1st of all they let you in the Dan lounge with that?
Second, IME they actually swipe the card.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
1st of all they let you in the Dan lounge with that?
Second, IME they actually swipe the card.

yes they can swipe it, but when i walked into the dan lounge there was a lady there when she saw me she asked why im here i showed her my club card, she rolled her eyes and opened a looseleaf and i looked it up to make sure that it was accepted, then she said wheres ur ticket and she said oh ur not flying united or even star alliance, then sorry u cant come here...

Offline MosheP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 16, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
yes they can swipe it, but when i walked into the dan lounge there was a lady there when she saw me she asked why im here i showed her my club card, she rolled her eyes and opened a looseleaf and i looked it up to make sure that it was accepted, then she said wheres ur ticket and she said oh ur not flying united or even star alliance, then sorry u cant come here...

With the United Club Card you can't get into the Dan lounge unless you are flying a Star Allience member?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #528 on: August 16, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
You should be able to but the lounge dragons probably mix up *G and UC access.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 16, 2012, 06:26:03 PM »

i asked about this before i went on my trip and then in the airport they didnt allow me to enter, then i called up united and they claimed (one rep) that i have to fly united or star alliance, i was annoyed bec i spoke to a rep before hand and she said that i can as long as i have my FF number, heres the post from when it happened,  crazytools also had an issue for no good reason.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15088.msg272047#msg272047

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 16, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »

Is there any way to provide documentation when visiting, to ascertain that you will be able to get in? I.e.a letter from United?

What's a *G? I assume UC is United Card? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 16, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »
Is there any way to provide documentation when visiting, to ascertain that you will be able to get in? I.e.a letter from United?

What's a *G? I assume UC is United Card? Please correct me if I am wrong.
*G is star alliance gold

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 16, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
*G is star alliance gold

So without the club card, you can only get in to the Dan lounge if you are  actually flying Star Allience, even if you are *G?

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »
I tried to get a pass to use the lounge when I wasn't flying and was told that unless I had a meeting room reserved, they couldn't give me one.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #534 on: August 17, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »
I tried to get a pass to use the lounge when I wasn't flying and was told that unless I had a meeting room reserved, they couldn't give me one.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=16914.0
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 20, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Is it still possible to have the $395 annual fee waived

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #537 on: August 20, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »
Is it still possible to have the $395 annual fee waived
Sure, just SM them before you even apply.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »
Sure, just SM them before you even apply.
I SM'd them they replied they can't confirm offer till after application.
Which departement should I SM
(I SM'd to other inquiry)

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »
Loving the metal card, besides for when I'm trying to destroy an old card that I'm throwing out.....

Any ideas?