Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

So what do you get for having the card? These incredibly sweet benefits:
-Expanded award ticket availability
See DDMS for details, including here.
-Full United Club membership:
 This membership normally costs $395 per year for non-elites and it’s the only club network that can’t be accessed with the AMEX Platinum card or the Priority Pass lounge membership that comes with that card.
 A full United Club membership allows your entire family, or you and 2 guests, to enter hundreds of United and partner lounges worldwide, regardless of which airline you are flying of even if you are even flying at all!  Just show your membership card and you’re in!
 Here is a dreadfully incomplete list of lounges.  For example I’ve used my United membership card in Tel Aviv but they’re not listed. 
-Unlimited Airport Terminal Access:  **ENDING AUGUST 2016**
 Another very nice benefit of being a full United Club member is that you can access the secured part of the airport even when you’re not flying! When I pick someone up from the airport I often like to meet them at the gate and surprise them and go for a free drink in the club. All you have to do is go to the checkin counter, show your United Club membership, and request a gate pass to get past security to access the lounge.
 This will work in any airport where there is a United or USAirways lounge.
 With free wifi, snacks, drinks, newspapers, magazines, and even showers and free ironing services in some locations, you can even make the United Club your new office if you wanted to!
 Or you can just take your kid past security to see the planes taking off when not rushing to a flight, just like in the pre 9/11 days.
 See here more detailes about this benefit.
-1.5 United Miles per dollar spent everywhere!
 This blows every other card out of the water. You’ll get 1.5 miles for every dollar you spend anywhere.  No other card out there offers anything near this earning rate on everyday purchases!  Even the great Starwood card earns an effective 1.25 miles per dollar spent and those can’t be directly transferred to United (though they can be used on United via an airline like USAirways though they have harsher award policies), or the excellent Freedom card with checking offers 1.1 points per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
It’s not hard at all to get at least 1.8 cents value per mile (or much more than that), but at that rate it’s a 2.7% rebate on everything you buy. Considering you can pay your federal income taxes for a 1.89% fee, you will be able to load up on miles the next time you pay taxes and be excited about getting a discounted vacation out of it!  It would come out to a cost of just 1.26 cents per United mile, which is an incredible bargain (A business class ticket to Europe is 100,000 miles with no fuel surcharges, so you would be paying just $1,260 for business to Europe or $1,512 for business to Israel or the Maldives), plus you may even be able to deduct the 1.89% fee!
You also earn 2 miles per dollar on United purchases, though that is beat by the 2.14 points per dollar offered by Sapphire Preferred.
-2 Free Checked Bags:
 You and one companion automatically get 2 free checked bags on United worldwide. If you bring 2 bags each that’s a savings of $240 domestically or a savings of $400 to most international destinations (Europe, Israel, Argentina, Asia, Australia, etc) on a round-trip.
Not only that but additional cards are free, and although additional cardholders don’t automatically get 2 free bags like the primary cardholder, they will at the checkin counter by just showing the agent their United Club card. I have tested this out many times to confirm that this works. For a family of 4 with 8 checked bags you can split your itinerary into 2 after purchasing it, and then with 1 primary card and 1 additional card all 8 checked bags will be free, a savings of $480 domestically or $800 to most international destinations on a round-trip.
As the free luggage benefit can be attained by just showing a checkin agent your credit card, it will last until the card’s expiration date, which is 3 years from when you are approved.
-Premier Access and Boarding:
 You’ll get priority check-in, priority baggage handling (your bags will arrive ahead of the general public’s), and priority security line access.
 Plus you will board at the same time as Premier Silver elite members, ahead of Explorer cardholders, ahead of families with children, and way ahead of the general public, so that you will have plenty of space for your carry-ons.
-Waived Award Expedite/Close-In Fees:
 Those pesky $75 per passenger fees for booking an award ticket within 21 days (which is right when the best award availability starts to open up) are automatically waived for cardholders!
-No foreign Transaction fees:
 Get the best rates and pay no exchange rate fees.
-Hertz President's Circle Status:
 Cardmembers get President's Circle status at Hertz. After getting the card, register at https://hertzstatus.mileageplus.com/
-Hyatt Platinum Elite Status:
 Cardmembers get Platinum status at Hyatt, giving them free internet, upgrades, and bonus points. After getting the card, register at https://hyattstatus.mileageplus.com
As with the Explorer card, you also get these benefits:
-Primary CDW Rental Car Insurance:
 Almost all credit cards only offer secondary CDW rental car insurance, meaning that you must first file a claim with your personal insurance which will affect your rates. The United consumers cards cover accidents without the need to make any claim with your personal insurance and should definitely be your go-to card for all car rentals outside of Israel.
-Premier upgrades on award tickets:
 Premier members will be eligible for upgrades by being a United cardholder.
-Non-expiring miles:
 As long as you’re a United cardholder your miles will never expire.
-Last-Seat Standard Awards:
 As long as there’s a seat on the plane you’ll be able to use double miles for it. This level is now capacity controlled for general members.
-Other protections:
 -Travel Accident Insurance
 -Emergency Assistance
 -Trip Cancellation Insurance
 -Lost Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Luggage Reimbursement
 -Delayed Trip Reimbursement
 -Extended Warranty Protection
 -Price Drop Protection
 -Purchase Protection
 -Return Protection
 -Worldwide Emergency Card Replacement

Source
Getting the AF waived After being approved for the card, you could SM and ask for the AF to be waived for the first year.

Author Topic: United MileagePlus Club Card  (Read 406106 times)

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the new United MileagePlus Club Card
« Reply #1160 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
BTW just got email from united with 50K offer on Explorer card

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPYoureIn50kAFW.aspx
You can always SM to get matched to that.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
When I clicked it, it said 30k+5k+10k=45k

" 30,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months your account is open. 5,000 bonus miles when you add an authorized user to your account and make a purchase with your Card during the first 3 months as a Cardmember. 10,000 bonus miles every calendar year you spend at least $25,000 on your Card."

When spending 25k on this card to get the 10k bonus you have to remember the lost opportunity cost. Is the best way to spend additional 24k on this card or on your other cards.

Maybe targeted? hope i can get matched to it

Offline mawmaw

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 19, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »
I sm chase for 50+5+25+50$ statement credit and got it for 1000$ in three month and if

Offline AharonInIsrael

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
I sm chase for 50+5+25+50$ statement credit and got it for 1000$ in three month and if
?

As Marco Polo said, you can always So to get matched to that. Read up on the Explorer Card thread (as well as the wiki there)

Offline hertzinstl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »
For the 5k for AU, do you add them during the application or after you receive the card?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 19, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
For the 5k for AU, do you add them during the application or after you receive the card?
Either will probably work. Though during the application would probably be better.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 19, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Doesn't make a difference.

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Just got the Sapphire preferred and United Club together, they are nearly identical cards besides the united logo. the united club is metal as well

Offline BBM

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 21, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »
Just got the Sapphire preferred and United Club together, they are nearly identical cards besides the united logo. the united club is metal as well
You didnt need to apply for them to know that, I could have told you.  :P

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »
You didnt need to apply for them to know that, I could have told you.  :P

So why didn't you, would've saved me a hard pull

Offline lyla

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: December 09, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »
I just got my new United Club membership card in the mail (expires 12/31/14) but was also billed the AF on my latest statement which is not due until 12/21. I already asked for the AF to be waived for the 2nd year and was declined. If I cancel the card will the membership card not work or will it be like the AMEX platinum that still works at lounges even though the amex platinum card was cancelled.

Offline lifetimedeals

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: December 11, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
can the united card be downgraded to any free card?

Offline BBM

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
can the united card be downgraded to any free card?
YMMV. But i was not able to downgrade even a explorer card. (i think there used to be free cards, but they have been terminated).

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:57 PM »
i have a "very.very  old" ( 25 YEARS ?) chase united gold card  --no fee --I keep because of age --  but only 1/2 point per dollar spent 

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: December 23, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »
Any links to first year waited annual fee? (without sm)

Offline nacho2100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: December 30, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
Hey guys,

First time poster here, wanted to give some data for these topic. I sm'ed to see if I could get the AFW club card.

TL:DR 1. you can call and say you got targeted at the bank and they will match (still not confirmed, will do so when I get the credit)
2. Chase lending won't promise 3 days but chase CS will .
3. Chase has some really nice agents :)
4. 5k is supposed limit per account of UR that a CSR can give

Originally they mentioned its was a targeted offered and I would not get it. I messaged them again because the agent that responded to me had matched to another forum member and was redirected to another agent (lesson learned: sm does not let you have a conversation)

I then called a banker at a branch and he said that the offer was not targeted and you could get it by walking in the door. I then called back chase and they said that if that banker told me that they can send the request to marketing who is responsible for the promotion and it will be matched if I am approved for the card.

I also asked when I would get the card, since I am traveling to TLV on weds night (thanks @Dan for the cheap UA tix) They said they can't guarantee weds but they could guarantee thurs.

After approval I called and they said the account number hadn't been created since it needs to be attached to my MP UA number and that will take a week or 2 (which seems odd since many FT and DD members got the card in 2 days).

I am now on hold with CS for SP to get someone to take responsibility for the misinformation and see if they can help me with the baggage fees and luggage (I had planned to pay for an upgrade to get the free bags for me and a companion-don't know if that would work yet, will update if it does)

-they just informed me that they will post 5k points on each of my chase accounts (3 accounts Freedom, SP, and BA)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:20:14 PM by nacho2100 »

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
Data point for those inquiring.
I got my new United Club membership card and subsequently cancelled my United Club credit card.  However, the membership club continues to work.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Free VIP Lounge for United Explorer Members
« Reply #1177 on: January 08, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Just got an email from Chase.

"Come join us for Big Game Week at the Chase United VIP Lounge at Guy's American Kitchen and Bar in NYC from Jan. 29th – Feb. 2nd. The VIP Lounge will feature celebrity chefs, football legends and much more. Exclusively for United MileagePlus® Cardmembers from Chase."

Link
Reservations

*Complimentary Amenities
Complimentary appetizers, snacks, and beverages all day
Alcoholic Beverages - Each guest will receive 3 tickets upon arrival for alcoholic beverages to enjoy during their lounge visit
Entry is first-come, first-served; capacity may be limited from time to time. There may be a wait outside of the lounge, so please dress accordingly for cold weather
Limited coat check is available. Requests to check packages or strollers will be fulfilled on a space available basis at the discretion of the VIP Lounge management
Guests must take all items with them from coat check when leaving the lounge. Checked items are the full responsibility of the guest

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Data point for those inquiring.
I got my new United Club membership card and subsequently cancelled my United Club credit card.  However, the membership club continues to work.

for how long

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 09, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
for how long
i would assume until the expiration date listed on the card.