Poll

Have you ever gone skydiving? Or would you?

Yes
44 (55%)
No
36 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Skydiving  (Read 20409 times)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: Skydiving
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
Hawaii

Offline Columbiadorm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Delta Silver Medallion, SPG Gold
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »
Hawaii

Love the cursing at the bird in Russian :)

If birds can bring down a plane, can't be too surprised if they bring these people down as well. Guy is pretty luck from the looks of his 'fall'.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Planning to go skydiving for the 1st time. i will be going up north cali iy"h at the end of the week and i was thinking to stop by Monterey for some skydiving.

Anyone know any info about this place? besides that its the highest jump and it seems to be a pretty good deal.
http://www.skydivemontereybay.com/pricing.html

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
I know the conversation is old but just wanted to pitch in my to Agorot:
From talking to many guys who did both there is no doubt Bungee jumping is scarier. To your mind a threat that's 500 feet away is much more immediate than a threat that's 10,000 feet away.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
I know the conversation is old but just wanted to pitch in my to Agorot:
From talking to many guys who did both there is no doubt Bungee jumping is scarier. To your mind a threat that's 500 feet away is much more immediate than a threat that's 10,000 feet away.

+10

That's my take as well...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 01:59:59 PM »
Any deals around for hang-gliding? (ny area-or do you need more mountains to go hang gliding? )
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »
Any deals around for hang-gliding? (ny area-or do you need more mountains to go hang gliding? )

In flat areas they tow you up with an ultra-light and then release at altitude. Last time I went I paid around $115 but don't know of NY area pricing.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
In flat areas they tow you up with an ultra-light and then release at altitude. Last time I went I paid around $115 but don't know of NY area pricing.
That means no running to take off? U just start in mid air from a rope? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2016, 04:08:49 PM »
Where'd you go?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:52 PM »
Paragliding in the Swiss Alps and parasailing in the Pacific, and hang gliding? Are these all similer? Is anyone of them more fun then the other? (to me the all sound the same! )

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 05:22:18 PM »
That means no running to take off? U just start in mid air from a rope?

Correct.  You're laying with the instructor in the "cocoon," the tiny plane tows you up then releases you.  No timed jumps, no landing on your legs (it lands on wheels like an airplane), and no need for the right wind.

Where'd you go?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/highland-aerosports-ridgely

They just shut down this summer.  I went 3 weeks before my wedding, about 6 years ago.

Paragliding in the Swiss Alps and parasailing in the Pacific, and hang gliding? Are these all similer? Is anyone of them more fun then the other? (to me the all sound the same! )

All very different.  Hang gliding feels the most like I would imagine a bird feels, you can stall out, catch thermals, etc.  Paragliding feels like flying in a small open airplane.  Parasailing is more meh, IMO.

Skydiving is better than all 3.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 05:26:29 PM »

Correct.  You're laying with the instructor in the "cocoon," the tiny plane tows you up then releases you.  No timed jumps, no landing on your legs (it lands on wheels like an airplane), and no need for the right wind.
Meh, that's cheating.
At least half the exhilaration is running off that mountain. Can't compare those experiences IMHO.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
Meh, that's cheating.
At least half the exhilaration is running off that mountain. Can't compare those experiences IMHO.

The real thing is on the bucket list  :D

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
Meh, that's cheating.
I actually stumbled across the video of you on your shlichos! When you went hang gliding, having to run off the mountain! (he was driving you crazy abt you running off the mountain and not to get afraid.)that seemed fun in itself having to run straight off a cliff! Oh well I guess that's what you got to do in places with not so many mountains!(having to be pulled up with a string! ) (where was that where u went Brazil? ) 

Offline IGBES

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
I plan on going skydiving, this will be my first time. I'm debating whether I should pay an extra $120 to get a video of it?
I would love to hear some opinions from people that have gone skydiving before and paid for a video, whether they think it's worth it or not?

Offline chilugutbaum

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2020, 06:53:15 PM »
I plan on going skydiving, this will be my first time. I'm debating whether I should pay an extra $120 to get a video of it?
I would love to hear some opinions from people that have gone skydiving before and paid for a video, whether they think it's worth it or not?

I have friends who did it with and without. All who didn't take the video regretted it because there is nothing to share.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »
VOIDH

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »

Definitely.  Although pics are more important than vid IMO

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »
Can you perhaps borrow a friend's GoPro?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2020, 09:36:00 PM »
Definitely get video and pics.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.