Author Topic: Around the world  (Read 33983 times)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Around the world
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
i thought it was kurdish, supersocks.. i mean superflyer

Offline moish

• View Profile
Day 7 Shanghai
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
THIS PORTION OF THE TRIP REPORT IS DEDICATED TO Y.A.

The next morning we met up with an Israeli woman living in Shanghai to baby sit our daughter and then we proceeded to the fascinating Jewish history tour with Dvir Bar-Gal (http://www.shanghai-jews.com/index.htm). He basically gives you a thorough history of the Jews there, from the time the Sefardim came, and through the time of WWII when over 20,000 Jews were saved due to the open port policy (i.e. no visa necessary). You also visit the areas that the Jewish refugees lived, where you can still see some magen davids and the places where the mezuzahs were once affixed. You also visit an old shul which also houses the Jewish Refugees Museum. He also takes you inside a "house" which used to be inhabited by a Jewish refugee family, which they then sold to a Chinese guy after the war, to see how small and cramped the living conditions were. (It happened to be this Chinese guy's worst real estate deal, as just a few years later, the government confiscated all property.) I just want to point out that there is a ton of dialogue on this tour, but I personally enjoyed it very much. It's also quite expensive at 400 RMB ($58) per person but he does give a student discount. After the tour, I walked over to the site of where the Beis Aharon shul once stood, which was where the Mir yeshiva set up its temporary beis medrash. Unfortunately, it's nothing more than a construction site today. After that, we went to the Yuyuan Gardens but we didn’t really find the garden part only all the tourist shops. Next we went to Xintiandi which is basically a hip area with cafes etc. They also have a Coffee Bean there, but not sure if kosher. BTW, we went to all these areas by taxi which is dirt cheap. I think our most expensive taxi ride on the meter was no more than $5. After that, we strolled along the Bund area which is basically a bunch of buildings with 1920's architecture along the waterfront, that was the hub of business life when Shanghai was an open city. At night the buildings are lit up which is beautiful. Unfortunately, the boardwalk was closed due to construction for the then upcoming World Expo. We then returned to the hotel where we hit up the highest bar in the world for a beer and the view which being around 10 floors higher than our room, was better. After that we took a dip in the highest pool in the world after a long day, and called it a night.

P.S. Where's Waldo? I appear in one of the pictures below, can you spot me?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:37:40 PM by moish »

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
Nice reports!
 I guess if you found a Israeli lady to babysit your daughter there, then maybe someone would know of some decent babysitter in Israel while I am up North, for a few hours here or there?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
it wasnt easy, you gotta put in the effort, my friend. work those phones!

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
it wasnt easy, you gotta put in the effort, my friend. work those phones!

I'm sitting in the U.S. now. Maybe some residing in Israel would have some insight.

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:52 AM »

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2010, 03:51:54 AM »
Moish, nice report. As you can read im my trip report I stayend in the Grand Stanford in Kowloon. A really nice hotel and shabbes was no problem. Door to the lobby is not electric, steps and 3 min walk to Kehilat Zion. Whoever reads this tr, should consider it. Match your spg plat to Priority club and they will also upgrade you.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
what advantage does the grand stanford have over the sheraton? i doubt it beats the price with the cash + points option

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2010, 05:53:27 AM »
moish, since you're the first person that mentioned Kingfisher, this is for you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/1096082-kingfisher-airlines-india-our-newest-spg-airline-partner.html
interesting. the flights were cheap enough that it wouldnt have made much difference. besides, theyre in the process of becoming part of one world.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2010, 06:45:26 AM »
what advantage does the grand stanford have over the sheraton? i doubt it beats the price with the cash + points option

Its probably a little nicer then the sheraton. I liked it very much. Got upgraded to a nice harbour view suite. Their friends and fam. rates are also quite good.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »
Nice reports!
 I guess if you found a Israeli lady to babysit your daughter there, then maybe someone would know of some decent babysitter in Israel while I am up North, for a few hours here or there?

I really dont think this is the right forum. We are talking about a tripreport on India and China! ;-)

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
Its probably a little nicer then the sheraton. I liked it very much. Got upgraded to a nice harbour view suite. Their friends and fam. rates are also quite good.

I disagree. The Sheraton is definitely a nicer hotel. though when you can get the family & friends rate of HKD 887 the Intercontinental Grand Stamford is a great choice. The best choice is probably using the F & F rate at the other Intercontinental, which at USD $186 is an amazing deal with possibly the nicest hotel in Hong Kong with the most breathtaking views i've ever seen

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
I disagree. The Sheraton is definitely a nicer hotel. though when you can get the family & friends rate of HKD 887 the Intercontinental Grand Stamford is a great choice. The best choice is probably using the F & F rate at the other Intercontinental, which at USD $186 is an amazing deal with possibly the nicest hotel in Hong Kong with the most breathtaking views i've ever seen
The public F&F rates are dead I believe.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »

I cant believe that any of these Hotels are the nicest Hotel in HK, have U been to the Peninsula and the lounge on the roof (top floor) talk about viewing the harbour and light show. Then on HKI theres the Mandrian , 4 Seasons,Conrad, Hyatt etc etc

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
We were not talking about the nicest, its a question of price for value, close to kehilat zion and "shabbesdig"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
The Grand Hyatt looks awesome but appears to not be walkable to kowloon.

It is however just 1.4 miles from Rabbi Avtzon's chabad house which also has complimentary shabbos meals:
http://www.chabadhongkong.org/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
I cant believe that any of these Hotels are the nicest Hotel in HK, have U been to the Peninsula and the lounge on the roof (top floor) talk about viewing the harbour and light show. Then on HKI theres the Mandrian , 4 Seasons,Conrad, Hyatt etc etc

Yes, been to the Mandarin, Four Seasons, Shangri-La, (old) Ritz-Carlton and Peninsula. Intercontinental measures up to almost all. Why would you want to stay on the "Island"? I'm assuming that we are talking about for tourist purposes

Oh and don't believe all of the hype about the Peninsula. Totally overrated!

The public F&F rates are dead I believe.

No, Here's the new link:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/friendsandfamily?key=v82wHsdahdZ3rCpp6ADOjGzszbbEVsKFnf%252FjUryfVA8%253D&cm_mmc=DCE-_-FF-_-20090216-_-AM26648

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2010, 02:10:40 PM »
Whoops, I mixed this up with Fairmont getting rid of F&F...

That was a big loss. In the beginning, I was booking the Plaza in New York for less than $300 a night!