Author Topic: Hawaiian Airlines Awful New Interline Policy  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Hawaiian Airlines Awful New Interline Policy
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »
Beginning May 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the PNR for which the passenger is checking in.

Found here: http://help.hawaiianair.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1922#codeshare

This seems to add a tremendous headache to all those that buy separate inter-island flights to catch a red-eye from HNL, as know you would have to go claim your bags>re-check them in>go back through security. What a drag.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:50:01 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Hawaiian Airlines
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Wow, stinks!
If someone tries please let us know if they're really enforcing this.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Airlines
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
Wow, stinks!
If someone tries please let us know if they're really enforcing this.
+1

If I book a one way United award with my LIH-HNL flight being 12pm and HNL-EWR at 7 would I be able to pay HA to change the 12pm to 5pm? Like this it'll be the same PNR.

Otherwise taking the direct is worthless as it can take over hour for the whole hassle.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Airlines Awful New Interline Policy
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
major pain in the a.. what happens with tickets bought before this date?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »
major pain in the a.. what happens with tickets bought before this date?
PUTPAC?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
PUTPAC?
I did. I got 2 different answers each time I called. HA has such uninformed CSR its unbelievable.
One supervisor confirmed that the changes are internal and now you just need to go to the counter and they it'll still be business as usual after the 1st. Another disagrees and says the changes are as thought. Go figure.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »
I wonder if other carriers will respond to this by severing their own interline agreements with HA booked with a sperate PNR.

I recall reading about this change before our trip in March. I would imagine that it will take some time before it is actually enforced. To the extent that the computer system still allows interlining (at least when the flights are on the same PNR), its possible that it will be a matter of discretion as to whether the agent can accommodate an interline in other circumstances.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
I wonder if other carriers will respond to this by severing their own interline agreements with HA booked with a sperate PNR.
The airline isn't the one that suffers it's the passengers. I don't know why any other airline would want to tick off their customers just because some retarded airline did.
I recall reading about this change before our trip in March. I would imagine that it will take some time before it is actually enforced. To the extent that the computer system still allows interlining (at least when the flights are on the same PNR), its possible that it will be a matter of discretion as to whether the agent can accommodate an interline in other circumstances.
Maybe so, still would be risky if the connection is less than 1.5 hours.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »
On second thought, other airlines stand to gain from this policy because they will now be able to collect a baggage fee from the interlining customer who previously would have just checked his bag all the way through to the mainland at the HA origin point.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:09:43 PM »
From FT:
According to several HA executives, HA will still interline bags after May 1; however, the other airline segments must be on the same PNR. In addition, the connection between the interline partner must be within the "minimum connection time" and 4 hours. If the other airline segments are not on the same PNR and/or the time between connecting segments is longer than 4 hours, it's considered a "stopover" and you'll have to collect your bags and check them in on the other airline starting on May 1.

The "rationale" behind this policy change is three-fold. First, HA wants folks to use them for all of their travel needs to and from Hawaiʻi, considering that it has expanded its routes to Asia and the continental United States during the past few years. Second, HA can collect baggage fees from non-status passengers that don't have their HA flight segments on the same PNR as the other airline flight segments and/or "stopover" times in excess of 4 hours. And, third, HA doesn't want to be responsible if another airline mishandles a passenger's baggage

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 10:10:08 AM »
It seems this policy is effective June 1st...Did they push it off? Maybe they will push it off again? Makes things really difficult!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
Sorry to post in an old thread, but it's the right topic, and very relevant to a lot of people who booked the Delta glitch to HNL but intend to visit other islands.

If I'm flying in and out of HNL, and I plan on booking a RT United award on Hawaiian to on of the other islands, can I have the bags checked straight through each way so that I don't have to pick up by baggage and recheck it in HNL each time?

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 11:43:28 AM »
Sorry to post in an old thread, but it's the right topic, and very relevant to a lot of people who booked the Delta glitch to HNL but intend to visit other islands.

If I'm flying in and out of HNL, and I plan on booking a RT United award on Hawaiian to on of the other islands, can I have the bags checked straight through each way so that I don't have to pick up by baggage and recheck it in HNL each time?
+1 -- I need to know this too.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Elgnt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
I called up delta they told me I'll have to claim them and then bring them to Hawaiian and recheck them