Poll

Who keeps the points?

Globalist Member
2 (9.5%)
10 (47.6%)
Split the points
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Hotel Compensation on Hyatt Guest Booking, who keeps the points?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Who keeps the points?

Hyatt Globalist account booked a room on points and added a 2nd person as the guest, who then checked in and used the night themselves. No charge for the booking and 2nd guest would send points to Globalist after the stay.

The hotel charged the guest $1k, and they caught it on their CC bill.

The guest called the hotel, got a runaround, eventually figured it out, and got the CC bill refunded. Globalist member also emailed the hotel explaining what happened and asking for a refund.

Hyatt deposited a 20K point inconvenience credit into the Globalist members' account after the guest asked for compensation.

Who keeps those points the Globalist member or the guest?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 09:46:03 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel Compensation on Hyatt Guest Booking, who keeps the points?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 09:48:23 PM »
Who keeps the points?

Hyatt Globalist account booked a room on points and added a 2nd person as the guest, who then checked in and used the night themselves. No charge for the booking and 2nd guest would send points to Globalist after the stay.

The guest called the hotel, got a runaround, eventually figured it out, and got the CC bill refunded. Globalist member also emailed the hotel explaining what happened and asking for a refund.

Hyatt deposited a 20K point inconvenience credit into the Globalist members' account after the guest asked for compensation.

I would say the guest, especially since they handled the case. If the Globalist was the one who was busy with it, I would say he should keep it. Practically, if I were the guest I would offer to split it.

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:47:28 PM »
Split

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.

Offline zalman2bis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 11:04:32 AM »
Lichora would say guest, as it was clearly for the inconvenience, which was only the guests inconvenience.
I don't see how the account holder was inconvenienced over here.
Unless you want to say, that they offered it because of the globalist status. Is that shayach?

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 11:30:45 AM »
Who keeps the points?

might be a ribbis issue. ask your LOR
#TYH

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 12:57:55 PM »
It's very simple:

The guest is entitled to keep the 20K (as he, in most cases, had to suffer the harm that occasioned the goodwill gesture). However, if the goodwill gesture was only given (or it was increased) because of the Globalist status, that amount should probably be split, as neither would have gotten without the other.

This option isn't in the poll options, so I did not vote.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »
Also one caveat, he does not have to transfer it to you. You can use it for a booking.

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 01:10:50 PM »
AH but I'm biased since I'm always on the sell side of the points/certs exchange
Risk is opportunity

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 01:13:40 PM »
Who keeps the points?

I had a case where my 2nd guest got refunded 10k because of an inconvenience that happened. If it comes into my account I think I should keep it. Why should I be busy with transferring points that came into my account?

Offline dealsrus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 01:14:18 PM »
I had a 2nd guest on my Globalist account getting 15K for the hot water not working! Let him keep it and he used it towards a later stay. As I was not involved with the complaint or the inconvenience. 

Online mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 01:15:36 PM »
I had a case where my 2nd guest got refunded 10k because of an inconvenience that happened. If it comes into my account I think I should keep it. Why should I be busy with transferring points that came into my account?
no one said you should transfer, but you were not the one who was inconvenienced

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 01:15:53 PM »
Also one caveat, he does not have to transfer it to you. You can use it for a booking.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 01:17:26 PM »
no one said you should transfer, but you were not the one who was inconvenienced
I agree he can use the points in my account but don't bother me about it. I'm not sure how he's going to only use 10K.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 01:19:29 PM »
If the hotel would have refused check in, I assume the guest would have had to eat the loss. Since that’s true, he should be entitled to the fringe benefits of his stay as well (and in this case he dealt with the accompanying inconveniences).

This reminds me very much of the sugya of the various benefits and responsibilities of the Kesuba.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 01:24:21 PM »
If the hotel would have refused check in, I assume the guest would have had to eat the loss. Since that’s true, he should be entitled to the fringe benefits of his stay as well (and in this case he dealt with the accompanying inconveniences).

This reminds me very much of the sugya of the various benefits and responsibilities of the Kesuba.
I agree Globalist bookings are only for the booking itself, Globalist members should not be contacted after that. After that happened I started telling the "bookees" to do everything themselves and not to contact me. I have people using my account on the daily and all I ask for is a text "booking Hyatt...."

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 02:10:05 PM »
I agree Globalist bookings are only for the booking itself, Globalist members should not be contacted after that. After that happened I started telling the "bookees" to do everything themselves and not to contact me. I have people using my account on the daily and all I ask for is a text "booking Hyatt...."
Fair point.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 03:41:30 PM »
or it was increased because of the Globalist status
How would you know?