Author Topic: ZFV Master Thread  (Read 33299 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: ZFV Master Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
Took the train @ ZFV. Nobody asked to see the train ticket at EWR. But didnt check luggage, and went straight to the gate.
Also, if you use the automated kiosk to get your ticket, you need a CC in your name to begin the process.
Thanks for taking the time to post the data point.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2017, 12:27:29 AM »
If I book a ZFV-XXX-ZFV round trip and I actually ride the train from Metropark instead of ZFV, is there any likelihood that UA will notice and cancel my ticket?

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2017, 05:09:48 AM »
Hi everyone! I see cheap tickets to Brussels train station from tlv on KLM via AMS and Antwerp train station. I wanted to know: do they scan my boarding pass on the train? Can I get off the train in Antwerp and skip the Antwerp-brussles train? Can I take the return train from Antwerp or do I have to board the train in Brussels? Thanx for your help.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »
Looking for a United award flight from Phila., and i see nothing from ZFV.
Is this recent?
^^^

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
Any recent DP about dropping ZFV before EWR?

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
Any recent DP?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2019, 12:47:50 AM »
Looking for a United award flight from Phila., and i see nothing from ZFV.
Is this recent?
Are UA awards available ex-ZFV?

Looking to book a RT, but saver only available from EWR at convenient time and return only to PHL at convenient time. Was thinking of doing ZFV-EWR-IAH-PHL but I can't see ZFV when searching award travel.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
Any recent DP?
+1.
Can you just scan in at EWR and not take it?
Scan in at the nearest station to EWR on the return?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
Quote from: FT
So just for reference for anyone looking to get on the train "downline" on TRE instead of ZFV. This is how I did it:

1. Within 24 hours of the amtrak departure, call Amtrak at (800) 872-7245 and provide them the train that you are booked on and ask for the amtrak confirmation number. They should give to you.

2. On the DAY of departure (not 24 hours before), go to an Amtrak station that has the quik-trak self service machine (Trenton has one) and insert any credit card. The machine likely wont recognize it but there will be an option to enter your confirmation number. Enter the confirmation number obtained from step 1.

3. The machine will spit out your boarding pass/ ticket which you can use to board from Trenton on that same train which you were booked on from ZFV. Just make sure that train stops at Trenton (most do) and its the same train number. You cant use this ticket on another train.

4. Make sure the conductor on the train scans it. Its only a 30 minute ride so you need to make sure its done.

The only risk with the above is that if the ONE quik-trak machine is not working, you might get screwed. Not sure if the agents at the ticket counter can manually print out a ticket or will they ask too many questions. Since Trenton is only 18 minutes from my house, I usually go there a few hours before on the morning of and just print out my ticket from the machine. That way if its not working, I can always go to ZFV as a last resort.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
Looks like UA sells options where you can board or exit at Metropark, NJ, a 13 minute ride from EWR.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
I wanted to write to thank everyone and write that I was able to change my Amtrak ticket and get on an earlier train for my return home, even tough this was an Economy Basic fare. In fact, I changed my train twice! First, I asked a United agent at the transfer desk outside customs. The agent called someone and they put me on a train that departed in one hour (my original train departed in four hours). Second, I called Amtrak Guest Rewards while walking to the Amtrak station and the agent put me on a train that departed in 30 minutes. Regarding the type of fare, these are not Saver or Value fares, they are a special United fare class. Thankfully, the trains I wanted had inventory. The only issue with UA/Amtrak ticket was that I had to apply for a mileage credit for the Amtrak segments because these did not post automatically.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »
United usually doesn't "buy" your ticket on Amtrak until very close in, anywhere from a week prior to departure to a couple days before, so you most likely won't be able to change until very close in.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
Two ZFV datapoints that have had the same problem:

When I realized my original train was late from ZFV, I went to the ticket window to be put on an earlier train to protect my connection in EWR. No problem making the change and the codeshare number stayed the same on the new train.

I even called UA in both cases to let them know what I was doing and to document the wazoo out of my reservation in case I looked like a no-show. Sure enough, both times when I took an earlier train, my reservation had been marked as a no-show by UA.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2019, 06:16:52 PM »

So you actually need to take the train? Hmm... Maybe I should cancel my reservation
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.