Topic Wiki

I'm trying to summarize success stories mentioned in this thread.
From @TC610
It never hurts to ask - retention is a big YMMV.  If you don't like the offer given to you when you call for retention, ask for a better one.  Scan through the thread (use the search bar - reading through 130+ pages of posts can be time consuming) to see what others have been offered. Please post what you've got if its better then whats in the WIKI

Citi:
AA
Retention: $95 Statement credit after 5 transactions (no minimum...) in the next 3 months
09/17/2014 $95 refunded no need to make any transactions + 1000 Bonus Points per month for 16 months if made purchases of $1000+
05/12/16 AA Executive: $50 credit every month spend $1500 or 15K Miles for $5K in 5 Months
08/14/17 AA Exec $250 credit for spending $3,000/m * 3m OR 15K Miles for $5K in 3m.

Chase: - Call 800-945-2006.
  • IB/IP
     Retention: 10k UR after 5k spend
  •  IC
     Retention: $50 SC
  • UA (Club)
     Retention: $150 account credit
     Retention: 10k Miles for spending $2000 in 3 months.
  • UA (Presidential)
     Retention: $100 account credit
  • BA
     Retention: 9k Avios for spending $1500 in 3 months
  • Freedom (5x catagories)
     Retention: 2,500 UR

Barclay's:
M&M
Retention: Waived by SMing

Arrival
Retention: 5K miles, for keeping the card open randomly.
AF waived, HUCA

US air:
AF waived

American Express

Seems to be clearly spend related while also no rhyme or reason to who gets offers

• Business gold:5k-15k/$100 statement credit no spend required.
 • Delta Gold Skymiles - 12.5k Delta miles for paying the annual fee (no extra spending required) or $100 Credit on the account
 • SPG personal: 7k for 1k spend in 3 months.
 • SPG business: 10k no spend.
 • Personal Platinum - 20,000 MR for $3,000 spend in 3 months. (Actually gave me 5,000MR immediately, then 15,000 when I spend the $3k)/up to 50k/$150 SC for 1k spend.
 • Personal Platinum (another data point [zow]) - 30,000 MR for $4,000 spend in 3 months.
 • Business Platinum: 10k no spend/20k for 10k spend/30k no spend +50k for 40k spend

Retention contact numbers:
Citi: 800-444-2568
Chase: 800-945-2006
Amex: 800-452-3945
Barclays: 18664084064 (credit dept)
US Bank:

Click on link to get backdoor numbers for most banks:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066
« Last edited by zow on May 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Retention Bonuses  (Read 1851784 times)

Offline Nitantnel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #1540 on: July 14, 2013, 01:26:25 AM »
Right. Bad mistake.  :-[

For some reason I saw club Carlson

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 14, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »
I agree with you and even if let's says you could of hit up some cat bonuses, it would be a pain to deal with.
Why?
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #1542 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
I agree with you and even if let's says you could of hit up some cat bonuses, it would be a pain to deal with.
I do put the category bonuses on other cards. This was what was leftover. General spend. And yes this was the ua club. Sorry I didn't make that one clear

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 14, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »
Why?
The truth is it really depends on what his bulk spending is on.

If most of it is a non cat. bonus, for the extra couple points IMHO I don't think it's worth it to having to keep track of different cards.

ETA: Here's the answer
I do put the category bonuses on other cards. This was what was leftover. General spend. And yes this was the ua club. Sorry I didn't make that one clear

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 14, 2013, 01:33:18 AM »
Looks like you made it pretty clear  :)

Chase Club Card- $100 statement credit and 15,000 UA miles.

It did help that i spent approx $285,000.00 on the card this year...at first they wouldn't do anything until i pointed out that number to the penny ;)
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #1545 on: July 14, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »
Looks like you made it pretty clear  :)

he and i had been discussing the club carlson card via pm at the same time and likely didnt realize i switched cards

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 14, 2013, 01:56:36 AM »
I think from now on people should include how much they've charged on that card during the year (past years) as it is a factor in many cases.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:01 AM »
Chase Hyatt Card - 3500 points

Offline LA2NYC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 21, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
Hey everyone,

Did a Amex 3 B/M this time last year and just got hit with the fees for the following cards:

1. Starwood Personal - $65 AF,15K yearly spend
2. Amex PRG - $175 AF, 4K yearly spend
3. Amex Delta - $95, 1.2K yearly spend

I would like to keep the Starwood and no real desire for the Delta or PRG.  BUT, a) I have no other Amex MR cards so I need to downgrade to keep the MR points somehow (for PRG), and b) don't want to lose the Delta CL.

My questions are:
1. What should I aim for as a retention bonus for the SPG given my spend? Credit/points?
2. How can I get out of the Delta without losing the CL (it's actually the largest CL I have)?
3. What's the best strategy for the PRG? Aim for a MR retention bonus so I can keep the MR points?

Your help would be truly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 21, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
Hey everyone,

Did a Amex 3 B/M this time last year and just got hit with the fees for the following cards:

1. Starwood Personal - $65 AF,15K yearly spend
2. Amex PRG - $175 AF, 4K yearly spend
3. Amex Delta - $95, 1.2K yearly spend

I would like to keep the Starwood and no real desire for the Delta or PRG.  BUT, a) I have no other Amex MR cards so I need to downgrade to keep the MR points somehow (for PRG), and b) don't want to lose the Delta CL.

My questions are:
1. What should I aim for as a retention bonus for the SPG given my spend? Credit/points?
2. How can I get out of the Delta without losing the CL (it's actually the largest CL I have)?
3. What's the best strategy for the PRG? Aim for a MR retention bonus so I can keep the MR points?

Your help would be truly appreciated!!! Thanks!
1. Just HCUA until you get what you want. At least 3K SPG
2. You can transfer it by calling, although "you may or may not receive a credit pull," whatever that means. To avoid this possibility, just transfer it on the day you apply for other amex cards, and hope that you would be able to remove the duplicate pull.
3. Both. Get a bonus, and then downgrade the the MR blue. Although you will not be able to transfer the MR points to airlines anymore.

Offline nocknock

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
Did anyone get from the chase explorer?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 21, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »
Did anyone get from the chase explorer?
What's that?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1552 on: July 21, 2013, 05:39:04 PM »
Chase BA

Offer of 9K for spending $1500 in 2 or 3 months (forgot).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 23, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »
1) I've been trying to get a retention bonus on my SPG Personal.  The only offer I've received after calling twice is a $10 statement credit or 1,000 points.  I know people on this board have received 3K points recently.  My spend on the card was around $15K over the year but I was spending about $3K per months last few months - trending upward.  After calling twice, both reps tried to get more points but said that "their systems" wouldn't allow anything more than the 1K.  The second rep said she looked into why it wouldn't give  anything more and "found out" that since I received such a large bonus of 10K plus 15K when I opened the card, I couldn't get any larger retention bonus.  She legit sounded like she wanted to help me, just wasn't able to do more.  Any tips on how to get more than the 1K offered?

2) I received the annual fee on the Delta Card as well, which isn't offering me any real benefits.  However, it is my highest CL.  Will I be able to add that CL to the SPG without a hard pull and close the card that way?

Thanks!

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 23, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »

2) I received the annual fee on the Delta Card as well, which isn't offering me any real benefits.  However, it is my highest CL.  Will I be able to add that CL to the SPG without a hard pull and close the card that way?

Thanks!

YMMV. Otherwise you can downgrade.

Offline aviz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
Chase BA

Offer of 9K for spending $1500 in 2 or 3 months (forgot).

I have had no luck with this card recently .. a year ago i got the AF waived .. but this year .. I have called 3 different times and asked about cancelling regarding the AF.. and they almost seem happy to do it...

I guess I didn't spend much on that card this year :-\ :-\ :-\
Pleas hold. Your call will be answered in the order it was received.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 24, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
1) I've been trying to get a retention bonus on my SPG Personal.  The only offer I've received after calling twice is a $10 statement credit or 1,000 points.  I know people on this board have received 3K points recently.  My spend on the card was around $15K over the year but I was spending about $3K per months last few months - trending upward.  After calling twice, both reps tried to get more points but said that "their systems" wouldn't allow anything more than the 1K.  The second rep said she looked into why it wouldn't give  anything more and "found out" that since I received such a large bonus of 10K plus 15K when I opened the card, I couldn't get any larger retention bonus.  She legit sounded like she wanted to help me, just wasn't able to do more.  Any tips on how to get more than the 1K offered?

Got the same offer. Going to transfer the CL and wait a year.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 24, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
The only offer I've received after calling twice is a $10 statement credit or 1,000 points. 

Got the same offer. Going to transfer the CL and wait a year.

Is it worth it to take the 1K points and eat the $65 fee? SBS should make up for it with 3 cards.

Or are you waiting a year so you can apply again? There doesn't seem any good way to accumulate SPG points (aside from their 25-30K sign-up bonuses) other than massive spending on the card...

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: July 24, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
Is it worth it to take the 1K points and eat the $65 fee? SBS should make up for it with 3 cards.

Or are you waiting a year so you can apply again? There doesn't seem any good way to accumulate SPG points (aside from their 25-30K sign-up bonuses) other than massive spending on the card...
I personally have other cards which i will use on SBS. Don't feel the need to keep my card open another few months just for that.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 25, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

Sorry for the bump - have bought bigger purchases on the SPG and want to keep it for warranty protections.  Any other thoughts on if worth it/possible to push harder for a larger bonus?

Thanks!