Topic Wiki

I'm trying to summarize success stories mentioned in this thread.
From @TC610
It never hurts to ask - retention is a big YMMV.  If you don't like the offer given to you when you call for retention, ask for a better one.  Scan through the thread (use the search bar - reading through 130+ pages of posts can be time consuming) to see what others have been offered. Please post what you've got if its better then whats in the WIKI

Citi:
AA
Retention: $95 Statement credit after 5 transactions (no minimum...) in the next 3 months
09/17/2014 $95 refunded no need to make any transactions + 1000 Bonus Points per month for 16 months if made purchases of $1000+
05/12/16 AA Executive: $50 credit every month spend $1500 or 15K Miles for $5K in 5 Months
08/14/17 AA Exec $250 credit for spending $3,000/m * 3m OR 15K Miles for $5K in 3m.

Chase: - Call 800-945-2006.
  • IB/IP
     Retention: 10k UR after 5k spend
  •  IC
     Retention: $50 SC
  • UA (Club)
     Retention: $150 account credit
     Retention: 10k Miles for spending $2000 in 3 months.
  • UA (Presidential)
     Retention: $100 account credit
  • BA
     Retention: 9k Avios for spending $1500 in 3 months
  • Freedom (5x catagories)
     Retention: 2,500 UR

Barclay's:
M&M
Retention: Waived by SMing

Arrival
Retention: 5K miles, for keeping the card open randomly.
AF waived, HUCA

US air:
AF waived

American Express

Seems to be clearly spend related while also no rhyme or reason to who gets offers

• Business gold:5k-15k/$100 statement credit no spend required.
 • Delta Gold Skymiles - 12.5k Delta miles for paying the annual fee (no extra spending required) or $100 Credit on the account
 • SPG personal: 7k for 1k spend in 3 months.
 • SPG business: 10k no spend.
 • Personal Platinum - 20,000 MR for $3,000 spend in 3 months. (Actually gave me 5,000MR immediately, then 15,000 when I spend the $3k)/up to 50k/$150 SC for 1k spend.
 • Personal Platinum (another data point [zow]) - 30,000 MR for $4,000 spend in 3 months.
 • Business Platinum: 10k no spend/20k for 10k spend/30k no spend +50k for 40k spend

Retention contact numbers:
Citi: 800-444-2568
Chase: 800-945-2006
Amex: 800-452-3945
Barclays: 18664084064 (credit dept)
US Bank:

Click on link to get backdoor numbers for most banks:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066
« Last edited by zow on May 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Retention Bonuses  (Read 1852215 times)

Offline HoKo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #7780 on: July 05, 2023, 10:47:53 AM »
Amex Business Platinum- 5K spend in 3 months for 70K MR

wow, that's basically like getting another SUB

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #7781 on: July 05, 2023, 03:47:20 PM »
wow, that's basically like getting another SUB
Pretty much, in fact this is better than the 150K/15K original SUB. The card costs me ~$100 a year after Airline/Dell/Wireless benefits (besides for the points rebate benefit although I have others) so this is definitely worthwhile. However when you sign up you generally have the benefit of timing for double dipping things like the Dell/Airline credits so there’s value there.

GE is worth ~$15, clear is nearly worthless, I have no use for Adobe/Indeed, and lounge access or hotel status are useless as I already have several others.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: July 05, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »
Pretty much, in fact this is better than the 150K/15K original SUB. The card costs me ~$100 a year after Airline/Dell/Wireless benefits (besides for the points rebate benefit although I have others) so this is definitely worthwhile. However when you sign up you generally have the benefit of timing for double dipping things like the Dell/Airline credits so there’s value there.

GE is worth ~$15, clear is nearly worthless, I have no use for Adobe/Indeed, and lounge access or hotel status are useless as I already have several others.

I have the personal Plat and I actually have grown to like the Clear benefit. I tend to cut it close for my flights so I like being able to consistently get through security quickly.

Did you get that retention offer via chat or phone?

Offline 5/3

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: July 05, 2023, 06:56:16 PM »
$10 for taking time out of day to check for offers; no spend. Told to check back after billing cycle to see if there is any offers. This was with Discover. 2nd Call in about almost two months. Took less than 10 minutes between the two calls combined and had to be transferred to the promotions department after asking for special offers.

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #7784 on: July 09, 2023, 12:32:33 AM »

Double dipping is only if you cancel after the first year, otherwise there is no double dipping as you will then pay for a new annual fee…

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #7785 on: July 09, 2023, 01:37:58 PM »
Double dipping is only if you cancel after the first year, otherwise there is no double dipping as you will then pay for a new annual fee…

I double dip the first year. Every subsequent year I keep it open I am banking on the following year’s benefit to justify paying the AF. I always use the next year’s benefit before closing the card after the AF hits. (You are technically correct if someone keeps the card open forever, but that is unlikely for me on any version of the Platinum card, eventually they reach the end of their utility and then it’s time for another NLL offer).

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #7786 on: July 09, 2023, 01:38:56 PM »
I have the personal Plat and I actually have grown to like the Clear benefit. I tend to cut it close for my flights so I like being able to consistently get through security quickly.

Did you get that retention offer via chat or phone?
I use Clear as well and it’s somewhat helpful but I already have several cards that offer Clear so it’s redundant.

Phone.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: July 09, 2023, 10:25:22 PM »
Amex Business Platinum- 5K spend in 3 months for 70K MR
I got the same.

Just as a PSA, I got a lot of pushback about benefits and the explanation as to why its a great card and benefits outweigh the cost. I have gotten that before, and it usually leads to a nothing available offer. When I was adamant that I was closing (I would have without a decent offer), at last minute rep pulled this out. Basically worth to keep pushing even when it sounds like they have nothing...

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #7788 on: July 10, 2023, 12:23:11 AM »

I double dip the first year. Every subsequent year I keep it open I am banking on the following year’s benefit to justify paying the AF. I always use the next year’s benefit before closing the card after the AF hits. (You are technically correct if someone keeps the card open forever, but that is unlikely for me on any version of the Platinum card, eventually they reach the end of their utility and then it’s time for another NLL offer).

Right, but that has nothing to do with a sign up bonus, thats just whenever you close your card time it right so you milk the benefits before paying for them, but if you keep your card open a second year, you did not “double dip” on your first year, its all about when you close your card

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: July 10, 2023, 12:24:32 AM »
I got the same.

Just as a PSA, I got a lot of pushback about benefits and the explanation as to why its a great card and benefits outweigh the cost. I have gotten that before, and it usually leads to a nothing available offer. When I was adamant that I was closing (I would have without a decent offer), at last minute rep pulled this out. Basically worth to keep pushing even when it sounds like they have nothing...

Just be careful if you don’t actually want to close your card, you don’t want them to take you up on your bluff

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: July 10, 2023, 01:19:52 AM »
Just be careful if you don’t actually want to close your card, you don’t want them to take you up on your bluff
You need to consent in the final step. Usually would not be an issue to pull out.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #7791 on: July 10, 2023, 10:05:50 AM »
You need to consent in the final step. Usually would not be an issue to pull out.
You’re right but I have had reps close it at that stage without getting consent, didn’t matter as I was serious about closing it but it wouldn’t be a problem to get it reopened if that happened.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #7792 on: July 10, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »
Right, but that has nothing to do with a sign up bonus, thats just whenever you close your card time it right so you milk the benefits before paying for them, but if you keep your card open a second year, you did not “double dip” on your first year, its all about when you close your card
Again, the double dip is a first year benefit which counts along with the general cost/benefit of opening a card with a large annual fee and a large SUB. If you keep it open you still double dipped the first year and the new cost/benefit is exclusively to the following year.

IOW: You receive the advantage of some of two years’ benefits when you time opening a card properly. That happens only upon the initial application.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #7793 on: July 10, 2023, 10:26:33 AM »
Example:

I open a Business Platinum card 12/10/22

Benefits:
SUB- 150K MR
4x (1x 2022, 2x 2023, 1x 2024) Dell credit
3x (2022, 2023, 2024) airline credit
3x (2022, 2023, 2024) Clear credit

Cost: 1x annual fee (have 30 days after the second AF hits to close)

I decide to keep it open with a retention offer 1/9/24

Benefits:
Retention offer- 70K MR
2x (1x 2024, 1x 2025) Dell credit
1x (2025) airline credit
1x (2025) Clear credit

Cost: 1x annual fee

Offline db23

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: hilton diamond,bonvoy gold, hertz president circle
« Reply #7794 on: July 10, 2023, 11:57:12 AM »
I got the same.

its either the system has an offer attached to your account or it doesnt. if this happens then there prob just pushing you to keep the card with out giving you the offer, or maybe they never really checked in the first place and only after giving you there whole shpeal then they decided to take a look and found you had an offer.

Offline db23

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: hilton diamond,bonvoy gold, hertz president circle
« Reply #7795 on: July 10, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »
are there ever CSP retention offers?

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: July 10, 2023, 02:33:19 PM »
its either the system has an offer attached to your account or it doesnt. if this happens then there prob just pushing you to keep the card with out giving you the offer, or maybe they never really checked in the first place and only after giving you there whole shpeal then they decided to take a look and found you had an offer.
Correct. My point was, hat IME when there is an offer they don’t make a whole shpiel about it and give it to you relatively easily. This was not the case this time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #7797 on: July 10, 2023, 02:42:54 PM »
Correct. My point was, hat IME when there is an offer they don’t make a whole shpiel about it and give it to you relatively easily. This was not the case this time.
Interesting, they usually give me some kind of speech about benefits even before they check.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: July 10, 2023, 07:42:59 PM »
Following

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: July 10, 2023, 08:24:36 PM »
Very rear. Best bet is to refer one friend a year..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/