Topic Wiki

I'm trying to summarize success stories mentioned in this thread.
From @TC610
It never hurts to ask - retention is a big YMMV.  If you don't like the offer given to you when you call for retention, ask for a better one.  Scan through the thread (use the search bar - reading through 130+ pages of posts can be time consuming) to see what others have been offered. Please post what you've got if its better then whats in the WIKI

Citi:
AA
Retention: $95 Statement credit after 5 transactions (no minimum...) in the next 3 months
09/17/2014 $95 refunded no need to make any transactions + 1000 Bonus Points per month for 16 months if made purchases of $1000+
05/12/16 AA Executive: $50 credit every month spend $1500 or 15K Miles for $5K in 5 Months
08/14/17 AA Exec $250 credit for spending $3,000/m * 3m OR 15K Miles for $5K in 3m.

Chase: - Call 800-945-2006.
  • IB/IP
     Retention: 10k UR after 5k spend
  •  IC
     Retention: $50 SC
  • UA (Club)
     Retention: $150 account credit
     Retention: 10k Miles for spending $2000 in 3 months.
  • UA (Presidential)
     Retention: $100 account credit
  • BA
     Retention: 9k Avios for spending $1500 in 3 months
  • Freedom (5x catagories)
     Retention: 2,500 UR

Barclay's:
M&M
Retention: Waived by SMing

Arrival
Retention: 5K miles, for keeping the card open randomly.
AF waived, HUCA

US air:
AF waived

American Express

Seems to be clearly spend related while also no rhyme or reason to who gets offers

• Business gold:5k-15k/$100 statement credit no spend required.
 • Delta Gold Skymiles - 12.5k Delta miles for paying the annual fee (no extra spending required) or $100 Credit on the account
 • SPG personal: 7k for 1k spend in 3 months.
 • SPG business: 10k no spend.
 • Personal Platinum - 20,000 MR for $3,000 spend in 3 months. (Actually gave me 5,000MR immediately, then 15,000 when I spend the $3k)/up to 50k/$150 SC for 1k spend.
 • Personal Platinum (another data point [zow]) - 30,000 MR for $4,000 spend in 3 months.
 • Business Platinum: 10k no spend/20k for 10k spend/30k no spend +50k for 40k spend

Retention contact numbers:
Citi: 800-444-2568
Chase: 800-945-2006
Amex: 800-452-3945
Barclays: 18664084064 (credit dept)
US Bank:

Click on link to get backdoor numbers for most banks:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066
« Last edited by zow on May 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Retention Bonuses  (Read 1819976 times)

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #420 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »
I tried to waive the annual fee  with a spg sm, they said we can cancel just reply and let us know. ::)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:08 AM »
there are conflicting reports here onn ddf some members write tht u cant downgrade and some say ask for retention and then downgrade

so can somone pls confirm if u can downgrade a platinum to a free credit card or only to a lower fee charge card

So do you think that some members are lying? You already said you've seen reports both ways so how is someone else saying what happened to them going to change anything? Apparently people have had different experiences with this and while officially its prob not allowed some CSR will do it anyway.

I tried to waive the annual fee  with a spg sm, they said we can cancel just reply and let us know. ::)

Try offering solutions that you would be happy with besides for waiving the fee (ex. getting points)

Offline APoshiterYid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 19, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
So do you think that some members are lying?
With a name like bubbles you really ought to chill.....
If you have my email PLEASE don't PM me :)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
With a name like bubbles you really ought to chill.....
k

Offline easy48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
I just noticed that my Amex SPG card which I signed up for several years ago is now changing from the introductory APR rate that I had when I signed up to 2.90%.  I dont have any balances on my credit cards and never had so this really wont be affecting me. 

BUT, I am thinking about calling to see if they can offer some goodwill points because of the upcoming change in my APR plan which will make a big difference to me (as far as they are concerned at least).  Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?  Worth going for it?  Advice?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »
I just noticed that my Amex SPG card which I signed up for several years ago is now changing from the introductory APR rate that I had when I signed up to 2.90%.  I dont have any balances on my credit cards and never had so this really wont be affecting me. 

BUT, I am thinking about calling to see if they can offer some goodwill points because of the upcoming change in my APR plan which will make a big difference to me (as far as they are concerned at least).  Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?  Worth going for it?  Advice?

Can't hurt to try.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yudel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
I have a continental business card with the $85 annual fee due. They won't give me any retention bonus - should I just close the card or is it better to switch it to a no-fee ink classic?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
I have a continental business card with the $85 annual fee due. They won't give me any retention bonus - should I just close the card or is it better to switch it to a no-fee ink classic?

I'd switch to a no fee card.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #429 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
Open a new card with a signup bonus and have recon garb the credit line and close the CO card to get the new card approved.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline am32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 20, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Just tried again and got same offer for one hundred dollars. I asked for miles instead and guy said sure I'll give you ten k miles so worked out in end. Thanks for the encouragement AsherO.

Anyone ever have success with a retention bonus on Sapphire Preferred?  My renewal is a few months away and debating if its worth keeping with the fee (it probably is, but a bonus can't hurt :) )

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »
I'm not sure how much clarification this will provide (you can draw your own conclusions), but I'm reporting back regarding three SPG retention bonus requests for three different family members (and 3 different accts)....

FamilyMember(FM)#1 with $18k annual spending on Amex Business SPG (and 2 other open Amex Business card accounts) - Requested some SPG bonus points via SM to offset annual fee that just came due.  CSR responded via SM that they can't provide any points, and that account could be closed to avoid annual fee. FM#1 responded via SM that she would expect Amex to value her loyalty as a cardholder for 44 yrs, and to look for a way to accomodate her request. CSR provide this response via SM "We are sorry for the inconvenience in this regard. It is my sincere hope that you will understand that we are bound by certain Policies and Procedures and sometimes we may not be able to completely satisfy your needs due to this reason."

FM#2 with $26k annual spending on Amex Personal SPG card (and 1 other open Amex card acct) - Requested some SPG bonus points via SM to offset annual fee that just came due. CSR responded via SM that because he is a cardholder for 40 years, they will issue 3k SPG points as a one time goodwill gesture.

FM#3 with $52k annual spending on Amex Personal SPG card (and no other Amex card accts) - Called Amex SPG customer service and asked whether they could waive annual fee or request some SPG bonus points via SM to offset annual fee that just came due. CSR responded they would be happy to provide 3k SPG points as courtesy. Asked CSR if they could do any better, and CSR said that is the best they could do.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 21, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
FamilyMember(FM)#1 with $18k annual spending on Amex Business SPG (and 2 other open Amex Business card accounts) - Requested some SPG bonus points via SM to offset annual fee that just came due.  CSR responded via SM that they can't provide any points, and that account could be closed to avoid annual fee. FM#1 responded via SM that she would expect Amex to value her loyalty as a cardholder for 44 yrs, and to look for a way to accomodate her request. CSR provide this response via SM "We are sorry for the inconvenience in this regard. It is my sincere hope that you will understand that we are bound by certain Policies and Procedures and sometimes we may not be able to completely satisfy your needs due to this reason."

This is extremely surprising, did this person try the retention/cancellation dept. by phone?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »
This is extremely surprising, did this person try the retention/cancellation dept. by phone?

No, but I did advise her to

Offline ashers

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 22, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
Had a nice long interesting convo with the CSR at amex trying to get them to waive the annual fee on my SPG card.
She explained to me that the system is computerized and when she puts in a request to cancel,  the system will either tell her to cancel it or it will tell her to pass the customer over to "customer retention dep."
I would have thought as myself as a pretty good customer for Amex to keep but apparently im not THAT valuable.  :P
it CAN be done!

Offline DBpoints

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Called to Cancel my AA Business card - got 2500 miles
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
So I called to cancel my aa business card which i got a 75k bonus signup with, was offered 2500 for staying a customer and the rep said I can cancel anytime I want afterwards. He then asked me in a voice that sounded like he was winking at me if I had issues with any other cards...i said I also had an issue with my aa personal (75k signup) and he offered me 2500 for 500 in spending over the next 3 months  (have to book a flight with them anyway in the next 3 weeks)....

1 phone call 5000 miles

Love the free points!

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
just tried getting the annual fee waived on my chase continental. csr told me chase is not letting the fee be waived (not sure if he meant just this card or all cards). now i know i cant trust a csr but did anyone else have an experience like this. does it make sense? (of course i will try calling again)
and now a second csr told me the same thing almost word for word.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:26:45 PM by mclovin »

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
I was told the same thing 3 times for my CO.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »
I was told the same thing 3 times for my CO.
when was this? did u get it in the end?

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
In December. I ended up closing it in order to open a United.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss