Topic Wiki

I'm trying to summarize success stories mentioned in this thread.
From @TC610
It never hurts to ask - retention is a big YMMV.  If you don't like the offer given to you when you call for retention, ask for a better one.  Scan through the thread (use the search bar - reading through 130+ pages of posts can be time consuming) to see what others have been offered. Please post what you've got if its better then whats in the WIKI

Citi:
AA
Retention: $95 Statement credit after 5 transactions (no minimum...) in the next 3 months
09/17/2014 $95 refunded no need to make any transactions + 1000 Bonus Points per month for 16 months if made purchases of $1000+
05/12/16 AA Executive: $50 credit every month spend $1500 or 15K Miles for $5K in 5 Months
08/14/17 AA Exec $250 credit for spending $3,000/m * 3m OR 15K Miles for $5K in 3m.

Chase: - Call 800-945-2006.
  • IB/IP
     Retention: 10k UR after 5k spend
  •  IC
     Retention: $50 SC
  • UA (Club)
     Retention: $150 account credit
     Retention: 10k Miles for spending $2000 in 3 months.
  • UA (Presidential)
     Retention: $100 account credit
  • BA
     Retention: 9k Avios for spending $1500 in 3 months
  • Freedom (5x catagories)
     Retention: 2,500 UR

Barclay's:
M&M
Retention: Waived by SMing

Arrival
Retention: 5K miles, for keeping the card open randomly.
AF waived, HUCA

US air:
AF waived

American Express

Seems to be clearly spend related while also no rhyme or reason to who gets offers

• Business gold:5k-15k/$100 statement credit no spend required.
 • Delta Gold Skymiles - 12.5k Delta miles for paying the annual fee (no extra spending required) or $100 Credit on the account
 • SPG personal: 7k for 1k spend in 3 months.
 • SPG business: 10k no spend.
 • Personal Platinum - 20,000 MR for $3,000 spend in 3 months. (Actually gave me 5,000MR immediately, then 15,000 when I spend the $3k)/up to 50k/$150 SC for 1k spend.
 • Personal Platinum (another data point [zow]) - 30,000 MR for $4,000 spend in 3 months.
 • Business Platinum: 10k no spend/20k for 10k spend/30k no spend +50k for 40k spend

Retention contact numbers:
Citi: 800-444-2568
Chase: 800-945-2006
Amex: 800-452-3945
Barclays: 18664084064 (credit dept)
US Bank:

Click on link to get backdoor numbers for most banks:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066
« Last edited by zow on May 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Retention Bonuses  (Read 1820368 times)

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #520 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
Why not get new cards and get them approved by offering up the BA card as a korban?

I just did a 2 browser applications for CO/Freedom. First I pushed through the CO card (card was expiring) and I managed to get it matched to 50k. To get the Freedom card approved I offered up my BA card and they made me send in paperwork. Anyhow I got approved and they didn't touch the BA card! Now I know if I apply right away I'm still within 30 days and I don't know if I have a chance at getting another card. My BA line is very small ($1500) so not much of an incentive for them. The annual fee is coming up in April.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #521 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
There's no need to wait 30 days and you also have 30-60 days from the posting of an annual fee to close the account and get it refunded.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
There's no need to wait 30 days and you also have 30-60 days from the posting of an annual fee to close the account and get it refunded.

Thanks Dan! I will hold off on closing just yet. Hopefully I'll be able to convince them into some retention bonus... I was just scared once I get hit w/ the annual fee they won't let me close and roll the line into another line unless I pay the AF...

Offline Zapruder

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:16 PM »
I am new to "mileage" scene and haven't paid much attention to points/miles with my cards over the years. That is changing now. I have a BOA Worldpoints card that, in comparing to other rewards cards, I am now realizing is not very good at all.

I've put a little more than $800,000 on it in the last 5 years (business spending). I am wondering if it is worth it to even ask for some kind of retention bonus since I am going to be applying for an Ink Bold card.  I would hope that with the amount I have put on this card they would want to do something for me, but if I can't transfer points anywhere outside of the world points ecosystem ( I don't fly on Air Canada) then they are not of much use to me (other than redeeming for cash).

Should I even worry about getting a retention bonus on a Worldpoints card or just cut my losses with it and move on to a better card?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »
I am new to "mileage" scene and haven't paid much attention to points/miles with my cards over the years. That is changing now. I have a BOA Worldpoints card that, in comparing to other rewards cards, I am now realizing is not very good at all.

I've put a little more than $800,000 on it in the last 5 years (business spending). I am wondering if it is worth it to even ask for some kind of retention bonus since I am going to be applying for an Ink Bold card.  I would hope that with the amount I have put on this card they would want to do something for me, but if I can't transfer points anywhere outside of the world points ecosystem ( I don't fly on Air Canada) then they are not of much use to me (other than redeeming for cash).

Should I even worry about getting a retention bonus on a Worldpoints card or just cut my losses with it and move on to a better card?

Why not do both, get the retention bonus (make sure it's a fat one) and move your spending to your new Ink Bold card :)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »

If you cancel the card will you lose the points?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Zapruder

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Why not do both, get the retention bonus (make sure it's a fat one) and move your spending to your new Ink Bold card :)

Yes, I suppose that makes the most sense.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Yes, I suppose that makes the most sense.

You're welcome.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline smart brit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
searched on the thread but didn't find anything on that yet my Amex platinum annual fee is coming up do they give retention bounses? if yes what's the best they will do

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
searched on the thread but didn't find anything on that yet my Amex platinum annual fee is coming up do they give retention bounses? if yes what's the best they will do
Search again its here
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
Search again its here
thanks :) but i doubt i will get the same deal but hey u never know will keep posted

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:34 AM »
got the same offer. didnt think 2K spend was worth 5K.
Square would cost you $55 to do that, so it probably is worth it.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
I called retention for AA citi card. They credited account for $85 and the annual fee doesn't get charged for another month. If I cancel now do you think they will take it back.
(I really upset with them b/c i used 30K link on DD main site instead of 75K links on forums last year. They wouldn't match it either. Citi stinks)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #533 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
(I really upset with them b/c i used 30K link on DD main site instead of 75K links on forums last year. They wouldn't match it either. Citi stinks)
When did I post a 30k link on the main site?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 15, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
I called retention for AA citi card. They credited account for $85 and the annual fee doesn't get charged for another month. If I cancel now do you think they will take it back.
Did they credit it on the spot? because i did the same thing and it only got credited after the annual fee was charged.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #535 on: March 15, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Did they credit it on the spot? because i did the same thing and it only got credited after the annual fee was charged.

My $85 got credited 5 months before it's even due :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 15, 2012, 11:32:49 PM »
My $85 got credited 5 months before it's even due :P

Interesting, I wonder what happens if you call recon ~six months later when it actually posts, might be able to get another $85 credited :D

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #537 on: March 16, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »
Interesting, I wonder what happens if you call recon ~six months later when it actually posts, might be able to get another $85 credited :D

It's def. poss, but I'm under the impression that there is like a "click box" for this offer per account, and once this is "redeemed" account is outta luck. But I'll be sure and see :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 16, 2012, 02:46:12 AM »
It's def. poss, but I'm under the impression that there is like a "click box" for this offer per account, and once this is "redeemed" account is outta luck. But I'll be sure and see :P

I tried in the past , every time they would tell me --" we gave you...... already on ..... "

I do not think the retention dept has any say in what they can do -- like AJK said --it is  all pre loaded in the computer --including what u are  worth to keep

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
When did I post a 30k link on the main site?

It was back in April 2011. Under the Credit card tab. I didin't know about the forums at that point