Topic Wiki

I'm trying to summarize success stories mentioned in this thread.
From @TC610
It never hurts to ask - retention is a big YMMV.  If you don't like the offer given to you when you call for retention, ask for a better one.  Scan through the thread (use the search bar - reading through 130+ pages of posts can be time consuming) to see what others have been offered. Please post what you've got if its better then whats in the WIKI

Citi:
AA
Retention: $95 Statement credit after 5 transactions (no minimum...) in the next 3 months
09/17/2014 $95 refunded no need to make any transactions + 1000 Bonus Points per month for 16 months if made purchases of $1000+
05/12/16 AA Executive: $50 credit every month spend $1500 or 15K Miles for $5K in 5 Months
08/14/17 AA Exec $250 credit for spending $3,000/m * 3m OR 15K Miles for $5K in 3m.

Chase: - Call 800-945-2006.
  • IB/IP
     Retention: 10k UR after 5k spend
  •  IC
     Retention: $50 SC
  • UA (Club)
     Retention: $150 account credit
     Retention: 10k Miles for spending $2000 in 3 months.
  • UA (Presidential)
     Retention: $100 account credit
  • BA
     Retention: 9k Avios for spending $1500 in 3 months
  • Freedom (5x catagories)
     Retention: 2,500 UR

Barclay's:
M&M
Retention: Waived by SMing

Arrival
Retention: 5K miles, for keeping the card open randomly.
AF waived, HUCA

US air:
AF waived

American Express

Seems to be clearly spend related while also no rhyme or reason to who gets offers

• Business gold:5k-15k/$100 statement credit no spend required.
 • Delta Gold Skymiles - 12.5k Delta miles for paying the annual fee (no extra spending required) or $100 Credit on the account
 • SPG personal: 7k for 1k spend in 3 months.
 • SPG business: 10k no spend.
 • Personal Platinum - 20,000 MR for $3,000 spend in 3 months. (Actually gave me 5,000MR immediately, then 15,000 when I spend the $3k)/up to 50k/$150 SC for 1k spend.
 • Personal Platinum (another data point [zow]) - 30,000 MR for $4,000 spend in 3 months.
 • Business Platinum: 10k no spend/20k for 10k spend/30k no spend +50k for 40k spend

Retention contact numbers:
Citi: 800-444-2568
Chase: 800-945-2006
Amex: 800-452-3945
Barclays: 18664084064 (credit dept)
US Bank:

Click on link to get backdoor numbers for most banks:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066
« Last edited by zow on May 19, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Retention Bonuses  (Read 1848616 times)

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
I got an offer on my thankyou card 10k points after $3000 spent

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 25, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »
My promised $50 credit never posted from Citi for my AAdvantage card(retention bonus that equals my annual fee). Called them and just said I would like to cancel because I don't have time to keep calling in to get credited for something they promised me. They now upped it to $100 :)

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #562 on: March 26, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »
by saying what? also how long ago was this?
for co i told i want to close it and got 10k a week later i called to close it and asked what i can get for my old UA card he told me 15k or 2 red carpet passes
last week

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
for co i told i want to close it and got 10k a week later i called to close it and asked what i can get for my old UA card he told me 15k or 2 red carpet passes
last week
You must spend a lot, I never heard them giving that

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #564 on: March 26, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
You must spend a lot, I never heard them giving that

Offline jmail

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
Any limit on how soon you can call up after receiving a retention bonus to ask again to cancel? Chase continental/united card.

Thanks!

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
I am new to "mileage" scene and haven't paid much attention to points/miles with my cards over the years. That is changing now. I have a BOA Worldpoints card that, in comparing to other rewards cards, I am now realizing is not very good at all.

I've put a little more than $800,000 on it in the last 5 years (business spending). I am wondering if it is worth it to even ask for some kind of retention bonus since I am going to be applying for an Ink Bold card.  I would hope that with the amount I have put on this card they would want to do something for me, but if I can't transfer points anywhere outside of the world points ecosystem ( I don't fly on Air Canada) then they are not of much use to me (other than redeeming for cash).

Should I even worry about getting a retention bonus on a Worldpoints card or just cut my losses with it and move on to a better card?
not sure if this is allowed in forum rules, mods delete if it's not OK.
I believe you can transfer to anyone's AC account, so find someone who does fly and see if it's worth more to them as AC points than to you as cash...

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
After calling for the continental card and getting a 100 credit (after fee +15$) I had my wife call for her card and they said nothing they can do and they cancelled the card so there would not be a fee . When she got off the phone I told her I didn't really want her to cancel it so she called back and told them she didn't want to cancel it and it was a mistake they told her they can reinstate it starting in the morning ( they said no credit check ) . Guess what they refunded the fee when they cancelled it and they never put it back on so got refunded the 85$ fee
Did anyone ever try this ? Do u think it was a fluke ? Would it work with other cards ???
It might, but you're risking them not reinstating the card.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
Man! SPG is getting tough!
Called earlier today, escalated, nothing.
Called just now, rep offered 3K, escalated, supervisor wouldn't budge, mentioned earlier call and wanted to give nothing. Then he put me on hold and came back on the line offering 1K! LOL! I finally convinced him to at least match the regular rep for 3K...
No patience to PUTPACA.
I used to think the amount of business and the kind of customer affected these things (in 2012 itself I spent over 25K with them and I always pay on time in full, plus plenty of referrals), I guess I was in for a lesson...

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Card Retention Bonuses
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »
Man! SPG is getting tough!
Called earlier today, escalated, nothing.
Called just now, rep offered 3K, escalated, supervisor wouldn't budge, mentioned earlier call and wanted to give nothing. Then he put me on hold and came back on the line offering 1K! LOL! I finally convinced him to at least match the regular rep for 3K...
No patience to PUTPACA.
I used to think the amount of business and the kind of customer affected these things (in 2012 itself I spent over 25K with them and I always pay on time in full, plus plenty of referrals), I guess I was in for a lesson...
Have you ever heard of anyone getting more than 3k?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »
Have you ever heard of anyone getting more than 3k?
Yes. Check this out from last year:
Post here your experience with your credit card company when calling in to try to take off (or get something in exchange of) your annual fee:

Just got off the phone with starwood  :D, told the rep. that I've given them a very substantial amount of business this past year, and that "a friend told me that they take off the annual fee for something like that". Obviously she said she cannot do it but she can offer me some Starpoints as appreciation. Puts me on hold and when she comes back on the line she announces that she gave me 3,000 points. to make it short, I said that won't cut it, escalated the call and got 5,000 additional (total of 8,000) points from the supervisor. I'm a happy camper today.
BH, this year I was lucky, got it on the first try and under 5 minutes on the phone.
Last year I got just 4,000 points from them.

Also my recent experience with Citi, they offered me 10.000 miles if I spend $5000 within 6 months (swiped $5000 a day later).

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »
anyone had any experience with closing or converting/downgrading the BA card?

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
anyone had any experience with closing or converting/downgrading the BA card?
I'm coming up on my annual fee 5/1 and I'm interested as well. I got a very small line on my BA card and If they don't give me good retention I'm just gonna roll the line into my freedom card...

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »
I received  $95 credit for my fee that will be due this month or next -I did not spend that much on the card maybe $8-10k the most  in a year , but I do have many other Chase cards and I think when I told him I am a good client of chase he saw all the cards and that is what did it

Offline PETERP

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 09, 2012, 07:02:33 AM »
Pray tell which version Chase card you got the retention bonus for !

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »
BA-- the 2 post above me were about BA-- BUT understand if was not clear

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »
I received  $95 credit for my fee that will be due this month or next -I did not spend that much on the card maybe $8-10k the most  in a year , but I do have many other Chase cards and I think when I told him I am a good client of chase he saw all the cards and that is what did it
I hope that will work for me. I carry the freedom/sapphire/co cards as well maybe it'll give me the clout I need.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »
I just got a letter from BA that I was automatically enrolled and will be receiving 2.5 Avios points on purchases from 4/1/12 until 6/30/12 on up to 4k spending(10000 bonus points). I'm pretty sure it's bc my annual fee is coming up 5/01....

Now I really want to keep this card if I can get the annual fee refunded... They say it'll only give me the bonus points 6-8 weeks after promo ends. Anyone else ever got this?

Offline springles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 18, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
I just got a letter from BA that I was automatically enrolled and will be receiving 2.5 Avios points on purchases from 4/1/12 until 6/30/12 on up to 4k spending(10000 bonus points). I'm pretty sure it's bc my annual fee is coming up 5/01....

Now I really want to keep this card if I can get the annual fee refunded... They say it'll only give me the bonus points 6-8 weeks after promo ends. Anyone else ever got this?
I got this now too and my annual fee is also up now.  I plan on waiting until I know if I will be getting my fee refunded before using it for purchases.  If I get it refunded then I will spend the 4000 in may and june.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:12 AM »
I got this now too and my annual fee is also up now.  I plan on waiting until I know if I will be getting my fee refunded before using it for purchases.  If I get it refunded then I will spend the 4000 in may and june.

fyi-- i called and was told i have a similar bonus --- only difference was i can get max 8000 points ----- I did get credit for this yrs fee  i blv it was $95.00 a few weeks ago that was due this month -