AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 946827 times)

Offline penina

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #1760 on: July 24, 2014, 03:08:55 AM »
We took the one at Notre Dome.the schedule varies but is around every 2 hours

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:28 AM »
Where does the Seine River Cruise start and end? How often does it run?
As others said, there are several companies that run tours and leave from different locations. We took one by the Eiffel Tower (don't remember the name, but it seemed like there was only 1 in that area) and it took 1 hour for a round trip. There are other tours that I'm sure go just one way so you don't have to end up where you started, but we just got on the first one we found.

Offline alt123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 24, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »
It doesnt matter to me which company. I'm having a hard time finding online a schedule for any of the cruises. Any suggestions where to look?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 24, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
It doesnt matter to me which company. I'm having a hard time finding online a schedule for any of the cruises. Any suggestions where to look?
No need to book online IMO. Just find one by the water and wait till it goes. I doubt you'll wait more than 20 min. I think the one I took left on the hour.

Offline yls2011

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 24, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
On Bateaux Mouches, the company we went on,  we couldn't find a set schedule online. We just showed up to the "dock" and bought tickets to the next leaving cruise, which was in about 10 min. It was far from full, so I don't think they wait for the boats to fill up.

Offline mendoul

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #1765 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
On Bateaux Mouches, the company we went on,  we couldn't find a set schedule online. We just showed up to the "dock" and bought tickets to the next leaving cruise, which was in about 10 min. It was far from full, so I don't think they wait for the boats to fill up.

http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/en/peniches-paris/horaires-13.html

http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/cruise-tours-paris/sightseeing-cruise-paris.html

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/home/
mendy

Offline alt123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »
Thanks to all for the extremely helpful info.
I'm looking for a cholov yisroel cafe in the champs élysées area that's open 9:00am. Any suggestions?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:57 AM »
Thanks to all for the extremely helpful info.
I'm looking for a cholov yisroel cafe in the champs élysées area that's open 9:00am. Any suggestions?
I think the only one on the wiki list near there is Il Conte. Look into it to see if it's CY.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1768 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
All dairy restaurants in Paris are CY.
Not sure when L'inte cafe opens.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 30, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »
This TR is extremely late, and I wasn't really going to put it up because of all the ones on here, but I decided I should post it since I have yet to read about another DDFer going to Normandy, which incidentally was the highlight of the trip for me.

Disclaimer: My France trip took place in April 2013, about three months before I started applying for credit cards, so if you’re looking for information about luxury flights and hotels and the points they were booked with, this is probably not the right report to read.

Sunday
I landed in Paris on Sunday morning… Coming from the States that never works, but I was flying from London where I had spent the week before. I met up with a friend in the airport (who had flown from Israel) and after purchasing our museum passes we hopped on board the metro to head to our hotel. Once we had checked in we made a beeline for the Eiffel Tower and hung out in the Trocadero gardens watching it get dark. We must’ve stayed for at least three Eiffel Tower light shows (which happen every hour, on the hour, once it gets dark and last 5 minutes) before finally going back to our hotel.

Monday
We started the day off with the Louvre. Now, most people are content with just going to the Louvre, seeing the Mona Lisa, and calling it a day. Not me. I enjoy art, and the friend I was with practically lives and breathes it, so we spent about half the day there. Seeing all the paintings that I had learned about in my tenth grade art appreciation course was a neat experience!
From the Louvre, we went outside to the glass pyramid, which Parisians despise so much. Being a huge fan of The Da Vinci Code, I loved it. :) We walked straight down through the Tueleries Garden (which were in full bloom since it was April/spring time) and along Avenue Champs de Elysees, until the Arc de Triomphe. We stopped in many stores along the way, but even with those breaks we were exhausted and opted to skip climbing the Arc. The final thing we wanted to do for the day was to visit the village of Montmartre. With no idea how to get there and sunset quickly approaching, we hailed a taxi. SMARTEST. IDEA. EVER. The cabbie was an adorably friendly old guy who, to avoid traffic, drove through random streets essentially giving us a tour of “authentic Paris” along with his commentary. It was better than a paid tour guide.
If you are going to Paris, go to Montmartre! You will see breathtaking views of the city!

Tuesday
We headed out early for Versailles, but even so the lines to get in (with our museum passes) were ginormous! Slightly desperate we pretended to be absorbed with taking pictures and blended in with a group of Chinese tourists all the way in the front. I know, I know, not the best but it cut at least two hours off our wait! ;) The palace was amazing. I love history almost as much as my friend loves art, so to see the palatial luxury that essentially sparked the French Revolution was really something. We went through using the Rick Steve’s guide, which we both downloaded on our iPhones before the trip. We also went out to the gardens, and watched the water show, but honestly, the fountain at the LA Grove does a more impressive job.

When we got back to Paris we still had half a day ahead of us. We went the Musee d’Orsay (another incredible art experience – while the Louvre houses more classical art, the Orsay has a huge collection of Impressionist paintings). We went to Pizman for dinner and then went back to the Eiffel Tower to watch the sun set.

Wednesday
We started our day out in the Musee l’Orangerie… a small almost hidden museum in the Tuileries Gardens. This is the museum that has Monet’s Water Lilies paintings in huge circular rooms (more on why that was so important below!) We used the museum’s free audio tour to go through the entire building, which is so small it only took us a little over an hour. We then walked around the Latin Quarter and the Marais District... just being tourists. We picked up dinner, climbed the Eiffel Tower (another highly recommended activity), and ate dinner on the top, as it got dark. Watching the tower light up while you’re on it is one cool experience!

Thursday
Ok… here comes my favorite part of the trip! At this point, we decided to rent a car and drive to Normandy. Of course, not having planned this out too much, both being underage drivers, and neither of us knowing how to drive stick shift, this rental ended up costing us a mini fortune. But it was SO worth it! We drove around the Arc de Triomphe, where there are no lanes, just cars driving wildly, out of Paris, and through the countryside until Giverny, where we went to see Claude Monet’s home and garden that inspired his paintings, Water Lilies. Seeing the real life of the painted picture was something that can’t be put into words. From there we drove to the small picturesque town of Bayeaux, where the only thing open past 7pm is a tiny pool hall and bowling alley.

Friday
We started off at Arromanches 360, a circular theater that shows a 20-minute film about World War II, which is both informative and haunting at the same time. After that, we drove down to the D-Day beaches to see it all for ourselves. We also drove to the American Cemetery and Museum (about a half hour west of Arromanches 360) on Omaha Beach. It’s a self-guided museum about the battles that took place on the beaches of Normandy.  A couple of the highlights of the museum for me were the memorial dedicated to the brothers who inspired the movie Saving Private Ryan, and the guestbook at the end in which people signed their names and “wrote” to the soldiers. On the way back to Paris we stopped in Rouen, which would have been really fun to walk around but we were too rushed for Shabbos. Unfortunately, we also didn’t realize that the rental car had a mileage, or rather ‘kilometage‘ limit, so we had to pay for that too!

Shabbos
We spent with a friend of a friend of my family (gotta love Jewish geography!) and then Motzei Shabbos we headed back to the airport.

Mercedes store-it's a velour car! (Avenue Champs de Elysees):

Stunning view of Paris from Montmartre:

Seeing the Eiffel Tower from Montmartre (this pic is from my phone, so it's tiny):

Some views from atop the Eiffel Tower:

The madness of Parisian driving (note the car driving in the opposite direction!):

Driving through the beautiful countryside:

Monet’s home and gardens:

The beaches of Normandy:

The Niland brothers, who inspired the storyline of Saving Private Ryan:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:21:12 AM by MC »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 30, 2014, 12:55:30 AM »
Nice TR! Loved the pics of Monet's home. Cool that you went there!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1771 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
First Paris TR I've read with new info in quite some time :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
  • Programs: Flying blue Gold Petroleum, BMI Gold, Accord hotel platinium, Avis gold, Aegean Gold
« Reply #1772 on: July 30, 2014, 03:09:53 AM »
very nice TR!
next time someone rent a car in France send me a PM i have good cooprates codes 
mendy

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #1773 on: July 30, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »
My thoughts exactly. Ive been to Paris three times, yet I enjoyed reading this report. well done.

Offline joelr773

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:03 AM »
I have a reservations for paris for 1 day in November on the way home from the UK to the usa I'm still thinking of changing the ticket not to go through paris because of the Muslims in Paris but if I go I have a full day what's the most interesting thing to do besides the eifel tower

Offline SRM

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »
Great TR Thanks!

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
Nice TR! Loved the pics of Monet's home. Cool that you went there!
My thoughts exactly. Ive been to Paris three times, yet I enjoyed reading this report. well done.
Great TR Thanks!
Thanks!

Exactly why I wrote it :)

very nice TR!
Thanks! Wish I had known the awesomeness of DDF beforehand.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 30, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
I have a reservations for paris for 1 day in November on the way home from the UK to the usa I'm still thinking of changing the ticket not to go through paris because of the Muslims in Paris but if I go I have a full day what's the most interesting thing to do besides the eifel tower
November is a long time away, see how things are as you get closer.

I was able to do the Louvre (2 hours), Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower in one day. Was still enough time to go to Monmarte but we were too tired.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 30, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
very nice TR!
Was nice finally meeting you :)

Offline mendoul

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:30 AM »
mendy