AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 962441 times)

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #2540 on: May 11, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
it is not available on points for my dates - unless  there is some work around that i don't know about.  I don't know if that affects its availability on sign-up free nights.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 11, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »
it is not available on points for my dates - unless  there is some work around that i don't know about.  I don't know if that affects its availability on sign-up free nights.
Same availability.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 11, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
so back to being open to suggestions for a second choice...

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 15, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
Need a fleighig place for business meeting -  Rav Rottenberg. Is the Indian place the only real choice?

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: May 15, 2016, 12:54:09 PM »
Actually, would consider dairy if there was an exceptional choice.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 15, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »
Actually, would consider dairy if there was an exceptional choice.
Lots of good dairy places in the wiki.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: May 15, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
Thanks - but just looking for one that's appropriate for business.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: May 15, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks - but just looking for one that's appropriate for business.
I know. I saw people ok business meetings in Il Conte and and L'Inté Cafe.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2548 on: May 15, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
Need a fleighig place for business meeting -  Rav Rottenberg. Is the Indian place the only real choice?
Darjeeling, Thai One, and Le Shine are the best glatt meat restaurants.
L'inte Cafe is the best dairy restaurant.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:56 AM »
Merci beaucoup!  :)

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: May 18, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »
Just figured I owe the forum something so let me share a few trip notes, for what they're worth. I ended up staying at a boutique hotel in la Marais called Dupont Smith. It is private so you're not going to get here on points and it isn't cheap but the room was good sized by Paris standards and very clean and comfortable. Staff was impeccable, per the limited interaction I had. Most importantly for me was that it is literally steps from Rue de Rosier which is the centre of kosher and shuls in the 04 area. There is another good and larger hotel in the area called Pavillon de la Reine but it wasn't available for my dates.
Davened at shul at 10 rue Pavais (shachris 7:50 and mincha/maariv about fifteen minutes before plag). There's a yeshiva directly across the street that davens shachris at 7:30.
I didn't really have time for touring as this was a business trip but I did do a bit of (trying) to shop for things to bring back for family etc. In general,  prices are expensive by North American standards, even for the things made in France and Europe. There is a built in tax of 20% and you can only get it partially refunded for purchases over 175 euros. There is a decent department store called BHV Marais about 3 minutes from the hotel and from Rue de Rosier. It is on Rue de Rivoli.  Beware that most discounts advertised on items in the store are only available to locals. You can ask a local to lend you their name at check out or else you have to settle for 10% discount that they offer to foreigners - much less than the 30-40% off that the French can get on many items. Don't expect to find many sales on top names, though.
There are a lot of stores featuring French made designs and handbags etc in the peripheral Marais neighbourhood so it is a good option for high quality stuff that is priced well below the super high end designers (most of which do have locations near BHV Marais).
If you're looking for that Guccu/Chanel type stuff but don't want to pay anywhere near the store prices, there are a number of consignment shops around the city where items that are usually in very good condition can be had for fractions of the cost. Probably the best is called Reciproque and it occupies a number of storefronts on Rue de la Pompe, just steps from the metro station Rue de la Pompe on line 9. It had far more for ladies than for men.
Another place you might want to check out is the outlet mall LA Valee Village. It is minutes away from Disney Land and can be reached by the RER which is to the Metro sort of like the LIRR is to the NY subway. You can pick it up at major metro stations and you need the Eastbound train to Disney. The mall is at the stop called Val d’Europe, the second last stop on the route, and the fare from Paris is about 8 euros.  When you exit the station, you first have to walk through a very large regular mall to your right to get to the outlet mall.  The trains run every 5-15 minutes and the trip is about 45 minutes from mid-Paris. Most of the big designers have outlets here and there are some bargains to be had - though I found them few and far in between.
As far as food, obviously you need to go by your Local Rabbi -  but I consulted with the head of a prominent North American kashrus organization and talked to people in Paris shul and heard the same thing. Rav Rottenberg haschgah is fine. He supervises a few places in Marais including a couple of bakeries and a few restaurants as well as Damyel - a confectionery store. As far as Beit din places, there is the glatt issue for North Americans, as well as an apparent issue with how bug checking is performed. I can't comment more than that. No one mentioned the chabad hashgacha so I don't know what the story is with that. I was told that there are a handful of non-Rav Rottenberg places that are individually reliable (ex-meat) but you need to get  personal recommendations on from locals who know. I found kosherinfrance a good website to use.
I ate at Pitzman a couple of times. Falafel was ok, pasta delicious and desert crepes very good. The bakery stuff at Korcarz and Benguigui was ok but I didn't try the more interesting stuff as I mostly was taking things to have with me for meetings etc throughout the day so it needed to be easily portable. The chocolate and macarons at Damyel are excellent and parve and they will package things in a hard box if you want to bring them back.
I held a businesses dinner meeting at Darjeeling. The food was good and the non-kosher people I was meeting with all said it was very tasty and authentic Indian food. Service was fine and the restaurant was somewhat noisy but still ok for our meeting.
Getting around town by Uber was pretty fine. Most places are within 15 minutes of each other, though rush hour can be busy, and the metro is also a good option.
I ubered into the city from Orly and the car was there in moments. The drive to the city was less than 30 minutes. On the way out it was rush hour so it took the Uber about 10 minutes to arrive as he navigated the busy local streets but even so the ride to CDG was only about 45 minutes.
It took me about 30 minutes to make it through customs and security, including dealing with the VAT refund but I was fasttracked on a business ticket so I'd recommend allowing at least double if not triple that much time. Some gates are also quite far from the checkin.
Hope this will be helpful for someone, one day.

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
Just figured I owe the forum something so let me share a few trip notes, for what they're worth. I ended up staying at a boutique hotel in la Marais called Dupont Smith. It is private so you're not going to get here on points and it isn't cheap but the room was good sized by Paris standards and very clean and comfortable. Staff was impeccable, per the limited interaction I had. Most importantly for me was that it is literally steps from Rue de Rosier which is the centre of kosher and shuls in the 04 area. There is another good and larger hotel in the area called Pavillon de la Reine but it wasn't available for my dates.
Davened at shul at 10 rue Pavais (shachris 7:50 and mincha/maariv about fifteen minutes before plag). There's a yeshiva directly across the street that davens shachris at 7:30.
I didn't really have time for touring as this was a business trip but I did do a bit of (trying) to shop for things to bring back for family etc. In general,  prices are expensive by North American standards, even for the things made in France and Europe. There is a built in tax of 20% and you can only get it partially refunded for purchases over 175 euros. There is a decent department store called BHV Marais about 3 minutes from the hotel and from Rue de Rosier. It is on Rue de Rivoli.  Beware that most discounts advertised on items in the store are only available to locals. You can ask a local to lend you their name at check out or else you have to settle for 10% discount that they offer to foreigners - much less than the 30-40% off that the French can get on many items. Don't expect to find many sales on top names, though.
There are a lot of stores featuring French made designs and handbags etc in the peripheral Marais neighbourhood so it is a good option for high quality stuff that is priced well below the super high end designers (most of which do have locations near BHV Marais).
If you're looking for that Guccu/Chanel type stuff but don't want to pay anywhere near the store prices, there are a number of consignment shops around the city where items that are usually in very good condition can be had for fractions of the cost. Probably the best is called Reciproque and it occupies a number of storefronts on Rue de la Pompe, just steps from the metro station Rue de la Pompe on line 9. It had far more for ladies than for men.
Another place you might want to check out is the outlet mall LA Valee Village. It is minutes away from Disney Land and can be reached by the RER which is to the Metro sort of like the LIRR is to the NY subway. You can pick it up at major metro stations and you need the Eastbound train to Disney. The mall is at the stop called Val d’Europe, the second last stop on the route, and the fare from Paris is about 8 euros.  When you exit the station, you first have to walk through a very large regular mall to your right to get to the outlet mall.  The trains run every 5-15 minutes and the trip is about 45 minutes from mid-Paris. Most of the big designers have outlets here and there are some bargains to be had - though I found them few and far in between.
As far as food, obviously you need to go by your Local Rabbi -  but I consulted with the head of a prominent North American kashrus organization and talked to people in Paris shul and heard the same thing. Rav Rottenberg haschgah is fine. He supervises a few places in Marais including a couple of bakeries and a few restaurants as well as Damyel - a confectionery store. As far as Beit din places, there is the glatt issue for North Americans, as well as an apparent issue with how bug checking is performed. I can't comment more than that. No one mentioned the chabad hashgacha so I don't know what the story is with that. I was told that there are a handful of non-Rav Rottenberg places that are individually reliable (ex-meat) but you need to get  personal recommendations on from locals who know. I found kosherinfrance a good website to use.
I ate at Pitzman a couple of times. Falafel was ok, pasta delicious and desert crepes very good. The bakery stuff at Korcarz and Benguigui was ok but I didn't try the more interesting stuff as I mostly was taking things to have with me for meetings etc throughout the day so it needed to be easily portable. The chocolate and macarons at Damyel are excellent and parve and they will package things in a hard box if you want to bring them back.
I held a businesses dinner meeting at Darjeeling. The food was good and the non-kosher people I was meeting with all said it was very tasty and authentic Indian food. Service was fine and the restaurant was somewhat noisy but still ok for our meeting.
Getting around town by Uber was pretty fine. Most places are within 15 minutes of each other, though rush hour can be busy, and the metro is also a good option.
I ubered into the city from Orly and the car was there in moments. The drive to the city was less than 30 minutes. On the way out it was rush hour so it took the Uber about 10 minutes to arrive as he navigated the busy local streets but even so the ride to CDG was only about 45 minutes.
It took me about 30 minutes to make it through customs and security, including dealing with the VAT refund but I was fasttracked on a business ticket so I'd recommend allowing at least double if not triple that much time. Some gates are also quite far from the checkin.
Hope this will be helpful for someone, one day.
It's helpful already

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: May 20, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
Should that report be in the trip reports section or does it belong here because it is light on travel and hotel arrangements?

Offline Elchay

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:20 PM »
I have a 12 hour stopover in Paris next week. Landing at 5:00 am and departing 5:00 pm. Would like to daven, eat breakfast, do some sights and then a late lunch before heading back to the airport. I think we will do the "hop-on hop-off" bus ending at teh Arc and walking down Champ-Elysees to Il Conte for lunch.
Any ideas where to catch an early shachris and eat breakfast?

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: May 23, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
Should that report be in the trip reports section or does it belong here because it is light on travel and hotel arrangements?
TR section can be linked to here

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: May 23, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
TR section can be linked to here
Ok. Don't know how but if someone wants to do so, go ahead please.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 23, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
I have a 12 hour stopover in Paris next week. Landing at 5:00 am and departing 5:00 pm. Would like to daven, eat breakfast, do some sights and then a late lunch before heading back to the airport. I think we will do the "hop-on hop-off" bus ending at teh Arc and walking down Champ-Elysees to Il Conte for lunch.
Any ideas where to catch an early shachris and eat breakfast?
Can only speak for Marais. The the yeshiva across from the shul at 10 Rue Pave has a netz minyan so that might work depending what time of year you travel and how quickly you get there. The shul itself davens 750 but there are other shuls in Marais davening about 720. Pave shul is 2 minutes from 2 bakeries but they open 8 and won't serve you sitting until 10.

Offline David1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: May 26, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
Planning on going to Paris in the summer, Any must do restaurants and Bakeries?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:25 AM »
Planning on going to Paris in the summer, Any must do restaurants and Bakeries?
I don't think any food place in Paris is a "must do," but L'As du Falafel has great falafel and Damyel has great dark chocolate.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 26, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
Well, I'd add the macarons at Damyel.