AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 956000 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #2680 on: August 22, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
You can lock the room when inside with the deadbolt.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 22, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
oh true - BUT depends on if they have the deadbolt
do all hotel rooms have the second deadbolt? i feel like some started to not put it?
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2682 on: August 22, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
Never seen a hotel room without a deadbolt.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 22, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »
i dont have photos of the doors to check....
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 22, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
Never seen a hotel room without a deadbolt.

".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »

Offline Redbull3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2686 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »
Tape the part of the door where the lock goes into and put on the do not disturb.
worked like a charm, ty!

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: August 24, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
Trip Report

Intro:
So.. this is my first TR. I was never much of a DDF TR reader, like for fun or anything... but that might change. So I mostly partake in The Hobby for domestic travel and selling. Only other trip before this was a week in Italy in 2013 and this was the only other time I've been out of the US besides Israel & Canada. So as I was saying... not much of a TR guy.. But I booked this trip months ago and we never got around to planning it until the last minute, and the TRs and this thread were a huge resource - equally important to good reco's are the places/menus to skip that don't tickle your pickle. So a huge TY to all TR providers, especially: Wiki editors, Yehoshua - I just loved the way you did it - your layout and the way you took photos of the store fronts seriously gives a solid idea of the vibe of the place.  And AJK - bolding the names of restaurants so your eye can kind of scan straight there... awesome. Stealing that. So now I feel like I have to give back a shtickel and add to the knowledge base. We took some pics which I'll possibly get around to later... or not.. lets not push it.

Flights:
Flew out Delta J direct. I'm biased b/c I'm not "used to it" but I loved it. It was lie flat. Someone next to DW was whining about it not being updated plane he was expecting or s/t, but I have no idea what he was talking about. Whatever, it was awesome. The food sucked but who cares.
Flew back AF coach direct. We paid $50+ to have our "own 2 seats" in a mostly 3-4-3 config plane which backfired when we were in the back by the bathroom and some smelly travelers (literally). It was horrible. An epiphany many here have had and a club I have joined: Bli Neder I will never fly coach internationally again even if I have to pay cash.

The flight to Paris was 7pm-8am landing Friday AM, so we were supposed to sleep, but we were too jacked up about being in business class and got sucked into Allegiant (horrible movie but we saw the earlier installments and meant to finish it off so took the opportunity). The flight was very comfortable, only complaint would be - the lights being on for the first and last 3rd of the flight for dinner and "breakfast" (in quotes b/c let's be honest it's midnight NY time when they served it... as if that's necessary... fat americans..) so even if we wanted to sleep, we couldn't really.

Getting around:
When we landed we took Roissybus to Opera and walked to PHP. Bus was comfy enough and relatively quick - it goes through all terminals but then doesn't stop until Opera which is very close to hotel. However If I could do it again, I would probably Uber like we did everywhere the rest of the trip. Ubers were all comfy, cheap (relative to US IME) and would have taken us straight there. I believe in splurging on vacas a little, a couple hundred in Ubers is worth it if you have the same mindset. In Rome 2013 I spent time learning Metro and like that wasn't bad.. but didn't bother this time and really am glad. You get what you pay for.

Hotel:

I think the PHP is overrated. Very good, but overrated just based on what I've been reading.
Pros - location, cleanliness, service. The service is legit 10/10. You ask for something and it's at your door 5 minutes later which for some reason just isn't a given even at other luxury hotels IME. Also great shower. And great face scrub "something corps".
Cons - The "queen bed" is 2 twins shoved next to each other, so there's the notorious crack in the middle. I know the room is small, b/c, Europe, so I won't take off points there, but also just not a fan of the design - the gold, the statues, that stuff works in the larger lobby but the small room it just seemed a bit tacky to us. And maybe it was just our room, but the toilet was weak - like it can't handly my manly American poops. It was struggling to take down a couple tissues and was frustrating.

Food and activities chronologically:
After checking in Friday we went to the 19th with idea of getting croissants/pastries and coffee for now/shabbas. The Wiki is awesome, but doesn't do the # of kosher places justice, there were dozens that we discovered not in the wiki. We were blindsided to learn that Damyel, Ardleys, Charles Traiteur and most bakers/chocolate places were all closed, one of the locals told me "b/c they just take off mid to late August". (Later learned this was 19th district only). Normally I love the European lackadaisical attitude toward commerce but not when it's at my expense! The local jew + a later on chabad guy both did direct us to a place called Saraden which turned out to be the same as "Boulanger Bio" from the wiki. The pareve one (says Saraden on top) is 54 rue petit- go there and say hi to shlomo working the dairy/coffee area. Super nice dude. This place takes their dairy stuff in the AM from Boulanger bio which is a couple blocks away - same owner, the dairy one says Boulanger Bio on the front. Anyway we didn't realize all this on Friday, we just knew this place as Saraden. We got an absolutely insane caramel/nut pastry thing with cappuccinos. The capuccinos were very good and tasty, although not super foamy. But not even a pastry guy and that caramel nut thing was light and fluffy and just so so good. We took one to go for shabbas as well with the last chocolate croissant from the dairy area which turned out to be awesome and a baguette. I'm a huge bread guy in general and the bread was good but not fresh enough for me when I had it on shabbas.

Oh yeah wait.. on the way to Saraden we stopped at a very sub par pareve bakery (we later learned it was the same one Dan said to skip... Maxime.. and we loaded up on stuff that we mostly bal tashchised, very sorry to say... please listen to Dan and skip it ). We stopped there b/c it was kosher and we were disappointed from seeing the other stuff closed for August and we felt desperate to get our pastry on. Then we found Saraden that was reco'd twice to us and had a great experience and got better stuff to go.

Then we went to L'as Du Fallafel. We ended up going here twice on our short trip. We love falafel and this did NOT disappoint. Balls, eggplant, cabbage etc was all crispy and salty. I recommend ordering the fries and shoving them into your pita. Also falafel plate comes with several Pitas, if you get that and just order balls (very cheap) and get techina (free) you can make multiple pitas. Just a tip which we applied on our second visit lol. This place is a must hit if you like falafel. Our favorite falafel place in NY is Murray's and this place is better. That is a huge compliment from us.

We knew we were skipping Friday night chabad meal b/c we needed to crash after getting like an hour of sleep on the plane. Shabbas lunch at chabad was surprisingly good, if you like traditional food (chulent was meaty, schnitzel, potato kugel type of stuff). Walk back on Champs Elysees was really nice window shopping etc if you're into that. Good views of the arc as you walk (closer to chabad side) and Eiffel (closer to PHP side). Went back to hotel and napped/pounded pastries.

Saturday night we should've booked an Eiffel tour to go to the top in advance but we didn't realize that. We considered doing a hookah bar but decided not to based on... demography... so we kind of wasted the night. Slight regret there. Oh... NOTHING was opened (based on our research) but we did find out Monday that La Marina was open Saturday night. That would have been helpful to know. Oh well. We ended up having soup which we brought from our freezer back home and double wrapped it with saran and microwaved it. This was our backup in case things were closed Saturday night upon further research which we feared they would be and BH for that.

Sunday we went back to 4th district - happy to see Damyel open, the macarons were really good, DW liked them more then me. Did boutique shopping, zaras everywhere, cappuccino from starbucks. I must have had a dozen cappuccinos in France.
Food for this day we didn't really want to try Il Palazzo b/c the pics looked bad in some TR, L'inte b/c the menu looked kind of weak... Also complicating things we had a 130 Louvre timeslot. Pitzman's was opened but the mixed reviews scared us away. So we ended up going back to L'as Du Falafel. And we were more than happy with that.

The Louvre. No line b.c of slight rain. We got an audio guide on a Nintendo DS. AFTER I bought it a few days before the trip I read AJK saying he dl-ed a free Rick Steves app.. I had regret.. but after actually using the thing I was glad I had it. It had a built in GPS which wasn't so easy to use for navigation (easier to just ask staff for specific exhibits) but there was a feature where u push a button, it finds u and then starts just talking about what room your in, and then an interactive map where u can click a specific piece to hear more.. really cool.

Of course went straight to the Mona, elbowed people out of the way to take some hilarious faced pics with her. But then seriously the Italian art nearby was all awesome - the 'raft of the medusa' was in that room, with lady liberty and a bunch of napoleon stuff.. I recommend that room with an audio guide and check out everything. I'm a semi-art guy. Personally I'm into: portraits that look as real as possible (like near photos) such as 'portrait of a man' which is behind the ML.. or giant pieces that capture intense emotion (raft of the medusa might be my favorite ever, look for the tiny sail of a boat in the distance they are all looking at to understand their behavior), symbolism in lady liberty.. or political stuff (napolean visiting plague stricken ppl.. learn why he had that portrait commissioned..) ok /art rant. There's just too freaking much to see. Oh in the Egypt section you can see Ramses III sarcophagus.. as in, his coffin. There were lots of other "sarcophagi" (had to) there, I didn't look into it but I wouldn't be surprised if like Pharaoh from the bible was there. Something to look into if you want. If I spent a week in Paris, I would go to the louvre every day instead of trying out other museums.

After Louvre went back to PHP cleaned up and went to boat tour on Siene. It was relaxing after a long day of lot of walking. But so something you can skip. Yay see the eiffel, the louvre, notre dame. Who cares. Jealous of people who did Segway tour that's probably a lot better. Still killed a lot of time. Got our mandatory Eiffel pics after the ride (that's where it boards).

Dinner at Darjeeling. Ok we were PUMPED for this, b/c DW and I LOVE Indian. Her fave restaurant in the world was Dakshin until it closed - we ate there a ton of times when we dated and that's when I got the bug. She never liked Shalom Bombay and I never ate there. Mumbai Grill opened late last year in Great Neck, and it's so freaking good it rivals Dakshin. We eat it 1x-2x a month. Now let's go in order. Tried e-mailing them to make a reservation and they never responded. We arrived and there was plenty of seating, no issue, phew. Appetizers - we got onion bhajias - they were really good, DW says they are 9.5, I don't know if I go that high, but they were damn good. They give you 3 sauces - one is spicy, one is green (lime ish), one is dark brown/black (sweet ish). I say skip the sweet one and lather the other two. Also use this for the other appetizer we got - beef rolls. Deliciousness, but small portions (even for France standards) they only give 2 and they are small. For the mains we got Chicken Tikka Massala - this is our favorite go to from Mumbai Grill, and it's solid but not nearly as good as MG. Still, it's very good. Chicken Korma - MG doesn't make this, dakshin did, and DW was psyched for it, but it disappointed her greatly. I ate the whole thing, actually thought it was good. So difference of opinion there. It was a little more "chicken-y" and less flavorful/spicey (which is the purpose of Indian I grant you... intensity...) than other dishes. If you are timid about Indian, you might want to start with this one. Anyway, last main we got was beef bhuna - this was good, a lot more vegetables than the MG version (similar dish not exactly the same... its beef + peppers and other veggies...) I actually thought it worked to have the veggie pieces more substantial at Darjeeling, and liked it more than MG.
Overall - Solid place, we would definitely go back. We were proud to know that MG is better place overall and our own backyard. Appetizers (fried stuff + sauces) were much better at Darjeeling, but the chicken mains were much better at MG. Beef was similar/slightly better at Darjeeling.

Monday our last day. We went back to our buddy Shlomo at pareve Saraden, I asked him why they have so little dairy displayed and that's when I learned what I said above about them being the pareve version to Boulanger Bio. Went to Bio and was disappointed - besides dairy chocolate croissants which DW is very into (and I'm not a big pastry person to begin with) they didn't even have much. Part of it is the macarons are not available until September. I got a sandwich for later which was very strong cheese and I wasn't quite up to the task though I gave it a valiant effort.
La Marina for lunch - we were very happily surprised by this place. Part of it is b/c we had low expectations from all dairy/pizza/pasta places from the TRs and stuff, part of it is b/c they followed our order perfectly. B/c of language barrier here and lack of English menu, we decided to KISS and ordered 2 things only- both basic. I ordered a regular pizza with no olives, and b/c of pics I had seen where it was so white, I put "cooked well done" into google translate and showed the waiter (who I think may have been the owner). This did the trick - crispy, well done, thin pizza came my way, which is a version I really like and they did it great. DW got a simple pasta dish - penne with pink sauce and parm on the side (which was fresh and strong - good stuff). That's all we got and it was super cheap (like $30 for that + couple of glass cokes).
Did some more shopping. BTW used Sapphire Preferred everywhere, didn't really encounter any cash only places or even strict minimums. Sprint is awesome for international roaming and made Ubering, using google translate at restaurants, etc a breeze.

Flew out Monday night.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:41:28 PM by Redbull3 »

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: August 24, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time! So glad it worked out.. And now I know you semi-like art  ;)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: August 24, 2016, 12:50:33 PM »
Nice TR! Thanks for writing it. I hope I didn't scare you away from the dairy places. We liked them all. Also I wouldn't call $30 super cheap. Maybe for Paris, but after going to South Africa I have a whole new understanding of super cheap kosher food.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: August 24, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
Nice TR! Thanks for writing it. I hope I didn't scare you away from the dairy places. We liked them all. Also I wouldn't call $30 super cheap. Maybe for Paris, but after going to South Africa I have a whole new understanding of super cheap kosher food.
fair enough haha
No you didn't scare from ALL dairy I read like 10 TR although I would credit il palazzo scare to your pics .. of how it was presented

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: August 24, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »
fair enough haha
No you didn't scare from ALL dairy I read like 10 TR although I would credit il palazzo scare to your pics .. of how it was presented
Sorry about that. Lighting was especially hard when/where we were eating. Food was good though.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: August 24, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
Trip Report

Intro:
So.. this is my first TR. I was never much of a DDF TR reader, like for fun or anything... but that might change. So I mostly partake in The Hobby for domestic travel and selling. Only other trip before this was a week in Italy in 2013 and this was the only other time I've been out of the US besides Israel & Canada. So as I was saying... not much of a TR guy.. But I booked this trip months ago and we never got around to planning it until the last minute, and the TRs and this thread were a huge resource - equally important to good reco's are the places/menus to skip that don't tickle your pickle. So a huge TY to all TR providers, especially: Wiki editors, Yehoshua - I just loved the way you did it - your layout and the way you took photos of the store fronts seriously gives a solid idea of the vibe of the place.  And AJK - bolding the names of restaurants so your eye can kind of scan straight there... awesome. Stealing that. So now I feel like I have to give back a shtickel and add to the knowledge base. We took some pics which I'll possibly get around to later... or not.. lets not push it.

Flights:
Flew out Delta J direct. I'm biased b/c I'm not "used to it" but I loved it. It was lie flat. Someone next to DW was whining about it not being updated plane he was expecting or s/t, but I have no idea what he was talking about. Whatever, it was awesome. The food sucked but who cares.
Flew back AF coach direct. We paid $50+ to have our "own 2 seats" in a mostly 3-4-3 config plane which backfired when we were in the back by the bathroom and some smelly travelers (literally). It was horrible. An epiphany many here have had and a club I have joined: Bli Neder I will never fly coach internationally again even if I have to pay cash.

The flight to Paris was 7pm-8am landing Friday AM, so we were supposed to sleep, but we were too jacked up about being in business class and got sucked into Allegiant (horrible movie but we saw the earlier installments and meant to finish it off so took the opportunity). The flight was very comfortable, only complaint would be - the lights being on for the first and last 3rd of the flight for dinner and "breakfast" (in quotes b/c let's be honest it's midnight NY time when they served it... as if that's necessary... fat americans..) so even if we wanted to sleep, we couldn't really.

Getting around:
When we landed we took Roissybus to Opera and walked to PHP. Bus was comfy enough and relatively quick - it goes through all terminals but then doesn't stop until Opera which is very close to hotel. However If I could do it again, I would probably Uber like we did everywhere the rest of the trip. Ubers were all comfy, cheap (relative to US IME) and would have taken us straight there. I believe in splurging on vacas a little, a couple hundred in Ubers is worth it if you have the same mindset. In Rome 2013 I spent time learning Metro and like that wasn't bad.. but didn't bother this time and really am glad. You get what you pay for.

Hotel:

I think the PHP is overrated. Very good, but overrated just based on what I've been reading.
Pros - location, cleanliness, service. The service is legit 10/10. You ask for something and it's at your door 5 minutes later which for some reason just isn't a given even at other luxury hotels IME. Also great shower. And great face scrub "something corps".
Cons - The "queen bed" is 2 twins shoved next to each other, so there's the notorious crack in the middle. I know the room is small, b/c, Europe, so I won't take off points there, but also just not a fan of the design - the gold, the statues, that stuff works in the larger lobby but the small room it just seemed a bit tacky to us. And maybe it was just our room, but the toilet was weak - like it can't handly my manly American poops. It was struggling to take down a couple tissues and was frustrating.

Food and activities chronologically:
After checking in Friday we went to the 19th with idea of getting croissants/pastries and coffee for now/shabbas. The Wiki is awesome, but doesn't do the # of kosher places justice, there were dozens that we discovered not in the wiki. We were blindsided to learn that Damyel, Ardleys, Charles Traiteur and most bakers/chocolate places were all closed, one of the locals told me "b/c they just take off mid to late August". (Later learned this was 19th district only). Normally I love the European lackadaisical attitude toward commerce but not when it's at my expense! The local jew + a later on chabad guy both did direct us to a place called Saraden which turned out to be the same as "Boulanger Bio" from the wiki. The pareve one (says Saraden on top) is 54 rue petit- go there and say hi to shlomo working the dairy/coffee area. Super nice dude. This place takes their dairy stuff in the AM from Boulanger bio which is a couple blocks away - same owner, the dairy one says Boulanger Bio on the front. Anyway we didn't realize all this on Friday, we just knew this place as Saraden. We got an absolutely insane caramel/nut pastry thing with cappuccinos. The capuccinos were very good and tasty, although not super foamy. But not even a pastry guy and that caramel nut thing was light and fluffy and just so so good. We took one to go for shabbas as well with the last chocolate croissant from the dairy area which turned out to be awesome and a baguette. I'm a huge bread guy in general and the bread was good but not fresh enough for me when I had it on shabbas.

Oh yeah wait.. on the way to Saraden we stopped at a very sub par pareve bakery (we later learned it was the same one Dan said to skip... Maxime.. and we loaded up on stuff that we mostly bal tashchised, very sorry to say... please listen to Dan and skip it ). We stopped there b/c it was kosher and we were disappointed from seeing the other stuff closed for August and we felt desperate to get our pastry on. Then we found Saraden that was reco'd twice to us and had a great experience and got better stuff to go.

Then we went to L'as Du Fallafel. We ended up going here twice on our short trip. We love falafel and this did NOT disappoint. Balls, eggplant, cabbage etc was all crispy and salty. I recommend ordering the fries and shoving them into your pita. Also falafel plate comes with several Pitas, if you get that and just order balls (very cheap) and get techina (free) you can make multiple pitas. Just a tip which we applied on our second visit lol. This place is a must hit if you like falafel. Our favorite falafel place in NY is Murray's and this place is better. That is a huge compliment from us.

We knew we were skipping Friday night chabad meal b/c we needed to crash after getting like an hour of sleep on the plane. Shabbas lunch at chabad was surprisingly good, if you like traditional food (chulent was meaty, schnitzel, potato kugel type of stuff). Walk back on Champs Elysees was really nice window shopping etc if you're into that. Good views of the arc as you walk (closer to chabad side) and Eiffel (closer to PHP side). Went back to hotel and napped/pounded pastries.

Saturday night we should've booked an Eiffel tour to go to the top in advance but we didn't realize that. We considered doing a hookah bar but decided not to based on... demography... so we kind of wasted the night. Slight regret there. Oh... NOTHING was opened (based on our research) but we did find out Monday that La Marina was open Saturday night. That would have been helpful to know. Oh well. We ended up having soup which we brought from our freezer back home and double wrapped it with saran and microwaved it. This was our backup in case things were closed Saturday night upon further research which we feared they would be and BH for that.

Sunday we went back to 4th district - happy to see Damyel open, the macarons were really good, DW liked them more then me. Did boutique shopping, zaras everywhere, cappuccino from starbucks. I must have had a dozen cappuccinos in France.
Food for this day we didn't really want to try Il Palazzo b/c the pics looked bad in some TR, L'inte b/c the menu looked kind of weak... Also complicating things we had a 130 Louvre timeslot. Pitzman's was opened but the mixed reviews scared us away. So we ended up going back to L'as Du Falafel. And we were more than happy with that.

The Louvre. No line b.c of slight rain. We got an audio guide on a Nintendo DS. AFTER I bought it a few days before the trip I read AJK saying he dl-ed a free Rick Steves app.. I had regret.. but after actually using the thing I was glad I had it. It had a built in GPS which wasn't so easy to use for navigation (easier to just ask staff for specific exhibits) but there was a feature where u push a button, it finds u and then starts just talking about what room your in, and then an interactive map where u can click a specific piece to hear more.. really cool.

Of course went straight to the Mona, elbowed people out of the way to take some hilarious faced pics with her. But then seriously the Italian art nearby was all awesome - the 'raft of the medusa' was in that room, with lady liberty and a bunch of napoleon stuff.. I recommend that room with an audio guide and check out everything. I'm a semi-art guy. Personally I'm into: portraits that look as real as possible (like near photos) such as 'portrait of a man' which is behind the ML.. or giant pieces that capture intense emotion (raft of the medusa might be my favorite ever, look for the tiny sail of a boat in the distance they are all looking at to understand their behavior), symbolism in lady liberty.. or political stuff (napolean visiting plague stricken ppl.. learn why he had that portrait commissioned..) ok /art rant. There's just too freaking much to see. Oh in the Egypt section you can see Ramses III sarcophagus.. as in, his coffin. There were lots of other "sarcophagi" (had to) there, I didn't look into it but I wouldn't be surprised if like Pharaoh from the bible was there. Something to look into if you want. If I spent a week in Paris, I would go to the louvre every day instead of trying out other museums.

After Louvre went back to PHP cleaned up and went to boat tour on Siene. It was relaxing after a long day of lot of walking. But so something you can skip. Yay see the eiffel, the louvre, notre dame. Who cares. Jealous of people who did Segway tour that's probably a lot better. Still killed a lot of time. Got our mandatory Eiffel pics after the ride (that's where it boards).

Dinner at Darjeeling. Ok we were PUMPED for this, b/c DW and I LOVE Indian. Her fave restaurant in the world was Dakshin until it closed - we ate there a ton of times when we dated and that's when I got the bug. She never liked Shalom Bombay and I never ate there. Mumbai Grill opened late last year in Great Neck, and it's so freaking good it rivals Dakshin. We eat it 1x-2x a month. Now let's go in order. Tried e-mailing them to make a reservation and they never responded. We arrived and there was plenty of seating, no issue, phew. Appetizers - we got onion bhajias - they were really good, DW says they are 9.5, I don't know if I go that high, but they were damn good. They give you 3 sauces - one is spicy, one is green (lime ish), one is dark brown/black (sweet ish). I say skip the sweet one and lather the other two. Also use this for the other appetizer we got - beef rolls. Deliciousness, but small portions (even for France standards) they only give 2 and they are small. For the mains we got Chicken Tikka Massala - this is our favorite go to from Mumbai Grill, and it's solid but not nearly as good as MG. Still, it's very good. Chicken Korma - MG doesn't make this, dakshin did, and DW was psyched for it, but it disappointed her greatly. I ate the whole thing, actually thought it was good. So difference of opinion there. It was a little more "chicken-y" and less flavorful/spicey (which is the purpose of Indian I grant you... intensity...) than other dishes. If you are timid about Indian, you might want to start with this one. Anyway, last main we got was beef bhuna - this was good, a lot more vegetables than the MG version (similar dish not exactly the same... its beef + peppers and other veggies...) I actually thought it worked to have the veggie pieces more substantial at Darjeeling, and liked it more than MG.
Overall - Solid place, we would definitely go back. We were proud to know that MG is better place overall and our own backyard. Appetizers (fried stuff + sauces) were much better at Darjeeling, but the chicken mains were much better at MG. Beef was similar/slightly better at Darjeeling.

Monday our last day. We went back to our buddy Shlomo at pareve Saraden, I asked him why they have so little dairy displayed and that's when I learned what I said above about them being the pareve version to Boulanger Bio. Went to Bio and was disappointed - besides dairy chocolate croissants which DW is very into (and I'm not a big pastry person to begin with) they didn't even have much. Part of it is the macarons are not available until September. I got a sandwich for later which was very strong cheese and I wasn't quite up to the task though I gave it a valiant effort.
La Marina for lunch - we were very happily surprised by this place. Part of it is b/c we had low expectations from all dairy/pizza/pasta places from the TRs and stuff, part of it is b/c they followed our order perfectly. B/c of language barrier here and lack of English menu, we decided to KISS and ordered 2 things only- both basic. I ordered a regular pizza with no olives, and b/c of pics I had seen where it was so white, I put "cooked well done" into google translate and showed the waiter (who I think may have been the owner). This did the trick - crispy, well done, thin pizza came my way, which is a version I really like and they did it great. DW got a simple pasta dish - penne with pink sauce and parm on the side (which was fresh and strong - good stuff). That's all we got and it was super cheap (like $30 for that + couple of glass cokes).
Did some more shopping. BTW used Sapphire Preferred everywhere, didn't really encounter any cash only places or even strict minimums. Sprint is awesome for international roaming and made Ubering, using google translate at restaurants, etc a breeze.

Flew out Monday night.
You should move this to a dedicated TR thread
-DMC

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
You should move this to a dedicated TR thread
I wasn't sure. Most of the TR quoted in the wiki are in this thread.

Offline Live N Learn

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: August 24, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
I have?

I've been to hotels that didn't have.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: August 24, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
I've been to hotels that didn't have.
Thanks for the support
-DMC

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #2696 on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:11 AM »
Is ANYTHING opened this Saturday night? I can't find one thing. :(
Maybe b/c shabbas ends at 9:48...

Tib's in the 19 I believe is open.

Offline yg99

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: September 07, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »
OK, I just went through the entire thread and I still have a few questions.

Nobody mentioned the Jewish Museum or the Holocaust. Are either of them nice and worth going to?

What is the situation with Uber in the airport? I've never ordered an Uber in any airport, but I've heard that some don't allow it. How do I go about getting one at CDG?

Thanks.

Offline yg99

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

Nobody mentioned the Jewish Museum or the Holocaust. Are either of them nice and worth going to?

What is the situation with Uber in the airport? I've never ordered an Uber in any airport, but I've heard that some don't allow it. How do I go about getting one at CDG?

Thanks.
bump

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: September 12, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

Thanks.

There is a deportation memorial along the Seine only a few steps from Notre Dame. It's moving and worthwhile if you are already at Notre Dame. 

We walked by the Holocaust museum but didn't go in. Sorry.

We took Uber from the city to the airport, flat rate 50Euro, IIRC.  I recall people saying you can get it from the airport, too, but we didn't try. Instead, we stupidly took the RER-B, which lacked air conditioning and took forever...bad move.