AJK's (very long) TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg150317#msg150317

Tzfas's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1573.msg271358#msg271358

Yehoshua's TR:
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=53999.msg1209038#msg1209038

Other TRs:
Yitzy93,
Moishy36, deals, chuchem, milechazzer, LAXtraveler, fdg9, ChAiM'l, rots5, Ergel, steve L, sy guy, waterpri, MC dvol
CGR

Map of Jewish Paris
Kosher Paris Map
Kosher List-July 2015 or Here.

RESTAURANTS (the best of)

There are hundreds of kosher restaurants in Paris.  The locals generally don't eat the meat under Beis Din as they don't require Glatt meat.  But they will eat everything else under Beis din.

Search for restaurants by cuisine and hashgocha here.

NameLocationMetroTypeHechsherNotes
Darjeeling17thArgentine-1MeatRottenberg
Sar Eden19thOurcq-5BakeryRottenbergOrganic bakery
Charles Traiteur19thOurcq-5BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur20thSaint-Mandé-1BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur11thRue-Des-Boulets-9BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur16thVictor-Hugo-2BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din
Charles Traiteur Halavi17thWagram-3BakeryBeth-Din Chalavi
Korcarz4thSaint-paul-1BakeryBeth-DinIn the Marais
Ardely’s19thOurcq-5Milk ChocolateKatz
Damyel19thOurcq-5Parve ChocolateRottenberg
L’As Du Fallafel4thSaint-paul-1FallafelBeth-Dinin the Marais
L’Inte Cafe12thMiromesnil-9,13DairyBeth-Din15 minute walk from the Park Hyatt
Kosher pizza4thSaint-paul-1PizzaRottenberg
Le Shine17thPorte Maillot-1ChineseLubavitchnear the Arc
Soumsoum11thVoltaire- 9MeatLubavitchGreat Israeli restaurent, there is a second one in the 8th
Doron ba Laïla19thGare Saint-Lazare 3-12-13-14MeatRottenbergNice meat restaurant
Tibs19thOurcq-5DairyKatz
Thai One2ndSentier-3MeatRottenberg
Le XXV16thTrocadéro-9-6BakeryRottenberg Chalavi
Le XXV8thTernes-2BakeryRottenberg Chalavi

Activities:
-Segway Tour. Please do not PM Ergel with requests for coupon codes. The codes are long dead
-Seine River Tour
-Eiffel Tour (Metro: Trocadero -6,9)
-Versailles Palace and Gardens. Never wait on line to buy tickets. 1. Use museum pass 2. Buy in advance 3. There are vending machines near the bathrooms (you have to poke around to find them) without lines. (if you go during a really busy time and the line seems endlessly long, go to the gardens first and return to the palace in the afternoon when lines are shorter). To get an audio guide, you usually proceed across the Royal Courtyard after passing security. If the lines for the audio guides are long, turn left in the Courtyard, to the Apartments of the daughter's of Louis XV’s. There you'll find another counter where you can get audio guides, with no lines at all. You can then exit the apartments and continue along the tour, bypassing the longer line.
-Louvre Art Museum (Closed Tuesday) (Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre -1,7) Shushan/Purim artifacts that can be seen at the Louvre, per the book Purim and the Persian Empire.
-D'Orsay Art Museum (Closed Monday) (Metro: Solférino -12)
-Musée de l'Orangerie des Tuileries (closed Tuesday) small museum featuring Monet's lilies (Metro Concorde: -1,8,12)
-Centre Georges Pompidou modern art museum open 11-9. closed tuedays (Metro: Rambuteau -11)
-Tuileries Gardens. (Metro: Tuileries -1)
-Paris sewer museum Smells really bad but an interesting look at the sewer system
-Champs Elysees shopping (Metro: Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau -1,13)
-Arc de Triomphe (Metro: Charles de Gaulle - Étoile -1,2,6)
-Operan National De Paris opera house. tours daily 11:30 and 2:30. Admission included in Museum Pass, tour extra
-Montmartre (Great neighborhood to walk around with boutiques, artists, and great views, and a funicular that kids will love) (Metro: abbesses -12, Anvers -2)
-The Great Synagogue (La Victoria) is beautiful but the main shul is only open on Shabbos mornings for Shacharis, but definitely worthwhile if you're there over Shabbos (Metro: Notre-Dame-de-Lorette -12)

Hotels:
-Park Hyatt Paris (Hyatt cat 7) is an outstanding value for your points. They used to give a phenomenal kosher breakfast but now it's barely even worth requesting.  Still rooms are a decent size for Paris, the Spa facilities are very nice, and the intoxicating smell used throughout the hotel for forever be linked with the romance of Paris. Ideally located between the Opera and Tuileries metro stations.
The Park Hyatt has free parking, though driving and parking elsewhere in Paris is very difficult.
The Park Hyatt has also complimentary bikes for guests.
There is a backdoor for entry on shabbos.

-The InterContinental Paris - Le Grand is not far from the Park Hyatt. It cost 70k IHG points per night or you can use IHG free nights. It is a good alternitive if the PH is not available or if you don't have/don't want to spend 30k Hyatt points per night.

-The Westin (SPG cat 6) is not as luxurious at the Park Hyatt but is located nearby and does the trick if you only have Starpoints and not Chase or Hyatt points.

Shabbos meals:
-Chabad of Champs Elysees has great shabbos meals and you're sure to bump into other tourists there as well to share tips.
It is a 30 minute walk to the Park Hyatt, but the walk is quite lovely via the Tuileries Gardens and the Champs Elysees.
Reservations are required: http://www.chabadchampselysees.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/888847/jewish/Shabbat-at-Chabad-Champs-Elyses.htm
-if you don't/can't eat at Chabad, they suggest getting takeout from Ben & Cook located in the 8th. Hashgacha: rabbinate Lubavitch De France 33 1 45 61 03 95. 35 Euro for 2 challas, 2 dips, meatballs with noodles or veggies for 2. they close at 3pm on Fridays (in the summer). call for more info
- Friday night meals at Grand Synagogue http://www.tiny.cc/chabbat

There is no eruv in Paris. Consider taking the metro to shul with your talis bag along with return tickets for motzei shabbos.

Transport from CDG:
-If you are going to the Opera area you can take the RoissyBus (pronounced Wahsee-Boos as you will get blank stares if you ask for the Royzee-Bus) which goes there nonstop. You can pay by credit card in the RoissyBus waiting station or on the bus.  The cost is €10.  It is a 5 minute walk to the Park Hyatt.

-There are also train options from CDG: the subway is located in terminal 2E/2F, to get to paris its ligne B (Blue) it should take approximately 30minutes to get to Gare Du Nord
it cost 9€10 each way per person

- Mendy Taxi: 0(1133) 6 50 99 82 93 http://mendystransport.com/en/
- Shimon taxi: 0(1133)6 98 27 16 08  Tamidshuttle@gmail.com

- Uber, Bolt are the best option to get to paris cheapest and fastest

Metro:
The subway is fast, efficient, and cheap. A book of 10 tickets is 13,30€ for adults and 6,65€ for kids.
The subway closes between 12:30 and 2am.

Map:
Streetwise Paris cannot emphasize enough, this is really a must. Of course, if you have GMaps and data you don't need this map unless you really like paper.

Guidebooks
Rick Steves' Paris 2013
Fodor's Paris 2013 (Full-color Travel Guide)

Other Tips
-If you plan on visiting several of the items covered by the Museum Pass - make sure to check it out and price out your options.  Many times it is worth it to get a one-day or multi-day Museum Pass to save some money and more importantly, time (see link for more details: http://en.parismuseumpass.com/)
-Double check days when museums/sites are closed as many do close on different days of the week.
« Last edited by yitzy93 on November 27, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »

Author Topic: Paris Master Thread  (Read 957213 times)

Offline israshot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Paris Master Thread
« Reply #3480 on: February 18, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »
Car Vs Public Transport Vs Uber Paris

I went to Paris on a short city break last week. I will not do a full TR as there are plenty, and besides, everyone would have their own tastes and interests in a city this size so it’s kinda unfair to put it in a box for the next guy.

I will discuss one issue that I got a bit of heat for when I asked before I went: Renting a car in Paris.

In the end I followed my gut and did rent a car. It was the best move ever and I really don’t understand how you can truly cover the city in 3-4 days without one.

I booked the cheapest automatic car on Europcar.com a week before I flew. Upon landing, we were given a Fiat 500X, which is a compact SUV. The rental was €115 ($130) for 3 full days. No shuttles, rental car lots are outside the terminals.

Yes, the traffic is rough, but definitely better than NYC. The Parisians drive like wild animals, which I found fun and thrilling (DW not so much...). My biggest fear was parking, as I come from a city where Valet is $100 a day and there’s no on street parking and a garage is $40 an hour with a ten minute wait at the end. But in Paris, I was pleasantly surprised to find on-street parking wherever I went, and in the rare place where you need to go underground, it’s self parking and the same prices! Parking is €4 an hour, and only costs from 8-5. So even if you are stationary all day it’s €36 in total. Anywhere! My total parking cost for the 3 days was $77.41

Paris is huge, much bigger than any European city center, and even bigger than Manhattan (Yes, I’m referring to the city within the Peripheral Road only, not to the Ile de France!) getting from place to place with a Metro must be nightmarishly slow. A car is a must if you want to get breakfast in the 19th, shop at Galleris Lafayette, walk the Pletzl and Notre Dame, get to the top of the Arc de Triomph for sunset, and ale Bazar for dinner. If you want to Uber, well, except for the chances you won’t be very comfortable with your drivers cultural background and country of origin, you need to wait 5-10 minutes, and can’t spontaneously decide “where to next” once seated and relaxed. Besides, I entered just half my trips (the longer ones) into the Uber calculator and came to over €400. Not surprised at all, but taxis are definitely more expensive than your own wheels.

The RoissyBus is not cheap, and neither is the RER to Versailles. My total cost for the car with parking and gas was $243.41. You will not lack for spots, I always had one on the backstreet of the PHP, got one 100 meters from the Eiffel, and there are lots under the Louvre and directly outside Versailles. Never more than a 1 minute walk. Public transportation for 2 would definitely have surpassed $100, so for $143.41 more I got the pleasure of no pushing and shoving and stopping and changing. When you go to Paris, rent.

And don’t forget to drive around the Arc 3-4 times. Funnest experience in town!
Thank you for your feedback but you're making some wrong assumptions too. Subway and train will always be faster in Paris unless it's at night. Finding parking is very tricky usually. I drove in paris for 2 years and took also the subway endless of time and it's heaven and earth. I drove only when I needed the car with me.

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: February 18, 2020, 06:56:16 AM »
How come I don’t see much talk about getting around with Bird. I heard it’s amazing but don’t see a lot of talk about it here. Is it possible to take Bird from PHP to restaurants, Eiffel Tower, Lourve, etc?

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: February 18, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
How come I don’t see much talk about getting around with Bird. I heard it’s amazing but don’t see a lot of talk about it here. Is it possible to take Bird from PHP to restaurants, Eiffel Tower, Lourve, etc?

Distances are very far, it would be a 20 minute bird pretty often, and it's cold and wet there at this time of year.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3483 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
There's definitely something to what @YesThatsMe is saying about renting a car. for someone coming from the city (Manhattan) Paris is heaven for parking. But at the end of the day renting a car on vacation is also a matter of personal preference. And when you have a baby/kids the calculation is also different (for example if the baby needs to be nursed/diaper change and you don't want to go back to where you're staying in the middle of the day, you have a "moving home")

Bird and the other scooter apps are amazing IMO! super convenient for short and medium distances where it's too annoying to walk, no subway/bus door to door and you get to see and feel the city. I would recommend it to any tourist unless it is raining

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #3484 on: February 18, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
I had a very hard time finding 2 of them that actually worked the few we did find were filthy or broken, also when u get to main roads its gets confusing where ur supposed to drive
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: February 18, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
There's definitely something to what @YesThatsMe is saying about renting a car. for someone coming from the city (Manhattan) Paris is heaven for parking. But at the end of the day renting a car on vacation is also a matter of personal preference. And when you have a baby/kids the calculation is also different (for example if the baby needs to be nursed/diaper change and you don't want to go back to where you're staying in the middle of the day, you have a "moving home")

Bird and the other scooter apps are amazing IMO! super convenient for short and medium distances where it's too annoying to walk, no subway/bus door to door and you get to see and feel the city. I would recommend it to any tourist unless it is raining
Right, if your comfortable riding scooters without a helmet in busy city traffic.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: February 18, 2020, 12:53:03 PM »
Car Vs Public Transport Vs Uber Paris

I went to Paris on a short city break last week. I will not do a full TR as there are plenty, and besides, everyone would have their own tastes and interests in a city this size so it’s kinda unfair to put it in a box for the next guy.

I will discuss one issue that I got a bit of heat for when I asked before I went: Renting a car in Paris.

In the end I followed my gut and did rent a car. It was the best move ever and I really don’t understand how you can truly cover the city in 3-4 days without one.

I booked the cheapest automatic car on Europcar.com a week before I flew. Upon landing, we were given a Fiat 500X, which is a compact SUV. The rental was €115 ($130) for 3 full days. No shuttles, rental car lots are outside the terminals.

Yes, the traffic is rough, but definitely better than NYC. The Parisians drive like wild animals, which I found fun and thrilling (DW not so much...). My biggest fear was parking, as I come from a city where Valet is $100 a day and there’s no on street parking and a garage is $40 an hour with a ten minute wait at the end. But in Paris, I was pleasantly surprised to find on-street parking wherever I went, and in the rare place where you need to go underground, it’s self parking and the same prices! Parking is €4 an hour, and only costs from 8-5. So even if you are stationary all day it’s €36 in total. Anywhere! My total parking cost for the 3 days was $77.41

Paris is huge, much bigger than any European city center, and even bigger than Manhattan (Yes, I’m referring to the city within the Peripheral Road only, not to the Ile de France!) getting from place to place with a Metro must be nightmarishly slow. A car is a must if you want to get breakfast in the 19th, shop at Galleris Lafayette, walk the Pletzl and Notre Dame, get to the top of the Arc de Triomph for sunset, and ale Bazar for dinner. If you want to Uber, well, except for the chances you won’t be very comfortable with your drivers cultural background and country of origin, you need to wait 5-10 minutes, and can’t spontaneously decide “where to next” once seated and relaxed. Besides, I entered just half my trips (the longer ones) into the Uber calculator and came to over €400. Not surprised at all, but taxis are definitely more expensive than your own wheels.

The RoissyBus is not cheap, and neither is the RER to Versailles. My total cost for the car with parking and gas was $243.41. You will not lack for spots, I always had one on the backstreet of the PHP, got one 100 meters from the Eiffel, and there are lots under the Louvre and directly outside Versailles. Never more than a 1 minute walk. Public transportation for 2 would definitely have surpassed $100, so for $143.41 more I got the pleasure of no pushing and shoving and stopping and changing. When you go to Paris, rent.

And don’t forget to drive around the Arc 3-4 times. Funnest experience in town!
While you may love driving in EU a lot of people dont, and Paris is the worst of all, the roads and intersections are just crazy confusing so anyone that asks me if they should rent or Uber i recommend Uber and public Transportation full heartily... lets face it Paris is mess to drive in, now you might enjoy that but my opinion is that most people dont.

I absolutely love driving i spend alot of money on good fast cars specially when im in EU cause i love driving there but when it came to Paris EVERYONE told me not to rent (friends that live there, friends that visited and people that i met there.)

I used Uber Berline was a breeze got really nice cars and nice drivers and was just a few bucks more.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3487 on: February 18, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
Depends on time of year. I had a car in August and was impossible to find a spot near the Pletzel

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: February 18, 2020, 05:00:21 PM »
Depends on time of year. I had a car in August and was impossible to find a spot near the Pletzel
It's always impossible to find near the Pletzel.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: February 18, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
I’ve read through a nice chunk of this thread & here’s what I’ve come up with. I’m planning a trip to Paris for 2.5 days with my wife & 2 kids (3.5 & 2.5). We’ll be landing in CDG at 1pm Mon & flying out of CDG 8:40am thurs. I booked the Sheraton in the airport for the last night & for the other 2 nights I did a GOH booking at the PHP. How is the PHP with upgrades & what do they offer for kosher breakfast?

I’m planning my itinerary & was thinking like this.
Mon afternoon - Arc de triomphe.
Tues - palace of Versailles.
Wed - Louvre, boat on the seine & then Eiffel Tower.

Anything here that should be switched / taken out? Anything I should be doing instead?

Is there some type of package I could buy for all these attractions or any discounts I can get when purchasing tickets? (Like in London where you get BOGO with a train ticket).

Is climbing the arc de triomphe, repetitive if going to the top of the Eiffel Tower anyway?

What’s some good easy meat places I can eat at or get dinner delivered (glatt)?

Is it easy taking public transportation to the palace of Versailles? Or is it worth renting a car from the airport for that trip cuz I think I’ll have free parking by the PHP?

Any & all tips are greatly appreciated.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: February 18, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

Is it easy taking public transportation to the palace of Versailles? Or is it worth renting a car from the airport for that trip cuz I think I’ll have free parking by the PHP?

On going debate.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: February 18, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
On going debate.

Yea I’m enjoying seeing all the diff opinions. Is public transportation easy to Versailles?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: February 18, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »
Yea I’m enjoying seeing all the diff opinions. Is public transportation easy to Versailles?
Not super easy, but not too difficult. I took a bus tour (some did that only one way and took public transit back).

Offline nescafe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: February 18, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

When we were there there was construction affecting the local trains so we took an uber to the station that has a direct train to Versailles. from there was a few minute walk to the palace.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3494 on: February 18, 2020, 06:59:42 PM »

A car is a must if you want to get breakfast in the 19th, shop at Galleris Lafayette, walk the Pletzl and Notre Dame, get to the top of the Arc de Triomph for sunset, and ale Bazar for dinner.
Sorry , but this is utter nonsense. It's perfectly fine that you enjoyed driving, but driving in a city like Paris isn't most people's idea of fun. And these statements are easily disproven by many TRs.

I wouldn't rent in NYC and the metro in Paris is much better and cheaper than the NYC subway. Ubers in Paris, for strategic use when the subway doesn't make sense, are cheaper than NYC.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: February 18, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Is climbing the arc de triomphe, repetitive if going to the top of the Eiffel Tower anyway?
FYI the steps up the Arc de Triomphe are a pain (and I'm in decent shape). Doubt young kids will make it to the top without lots of help (and complaints)

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #3496 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »

There should be some underground parking in the area for pretty cheap

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #3497 on: February 19, 2020, 02:24:33 PM »
There should be some underground parking in the area for pretty cheap
Problem was i was driving a 2 meter high vehicle which didnt fit into about 99% of the underground lots in all of France

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: February 19, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
Fleishigs that I ate in Best to Worst order:

Bassar (Top place. Reminded me of Mikes. Must get Scotch Egg and Lamb)
Le Bazar (Carpaccio is out of this world. As are the Mojito's)
Kavod (Foie Gras, obviously. Very Glatt-a-la-Carte'ish place)
Darjeeling (Not my taste, same idea as a grocery take out. Maybe because it was delivered)

Bakery:

Saredeen (Yummiest bread and pastries)
Korkaz (PHP breakfast, passable)
Chez Akol (Tasted like Sterns or Barons, unwrapped)

Still savoring my Damyel Pave's and Bon-Bon's. Best ever!

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: February 19, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
Sorry , but this is utter nonsense. It's perfectly fine that you enjoyed driving, but driving in a city like Paris isn't most people's idea of fun. And these statements are easily disproven by many TRs.

I wouldn't rent in NYC and the metro in Paris is much better and cheaper than the NYC subway. Ubers in Paris, for strategic use when the subway doesn't make sense, are cheaper than NYC.

Metro in Paris is not cheaper (Assuming you take the RER where appropiate) than NYC subway.

And the Parisian Uber drivers are going to make most Chareidi folks feel a bit uncomfortable, unlike NYC.