Topic Wiki

Arizona has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1332.0

South Utah
St. George & Hurricane UT
  • Chabad of Southern Utah: 569 E 200 S, St. George, UT 84770  https://www.jewishsouthernutah.com/
  • Red Hills desert Garden 375 E. Red Hills Parkway, St. George, UT 84770  Small & Free. Nice stop to see various desert plants for 20-60 minutes
  • Fiesta Fun Center (Bowling, Lazer Tag, Batting Cages, Go Karts, Arcades, bumper boats). Mostly indoors.
  • Kayak Rentals in Quail Creek State Park; 472 N 5300 West, Hurricane, UT 84737  https://digpaddlesports.com/
  • River Tubing 771 W Sr 9; Virgin, Utah 84779 https://www.tubingzion.com/   

In general alltrails.com is a good resource to find hiking trails that meet your interest (you can filter by length, difficulty, popularity, and review pictures and comments).

Zion National Park
--Fantastic hiking and waterfalls among magnificent red rocks scenery. Temperatures are usually substantially cooler than surrounding cities.
--Unique and popular trails include Angels landing (Hard), The Narrows (hike up a shallow creek in a narrow canyon, be aware of flashflood risks at certain times of year, or following rain), Canyon overlook trail (right after the tunnel along the right artery) among many others stunning hikes.
--There is also stunningly beautiful scenic drives both along the main road (only via shuttle in the summer) and the right artery (via your own vehicle), and there are also bike and e-bike rentals in Springdale UT (near the main entrance to the park).
--There are trails that are only accessible via other entrances (Kolob)
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1-2 days
--PDF map of Zion National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/ZionUnigrid.pdf

Bryce National Park
--Bryce is a relatively small national park, but a geological wonder, with uniquely colored rocks and hoo-doos (stone pillars formed by repeated freezing/melting).
--The visitor center has a 25 minute video playing every 30 minutes for some background on the uniqueness of the park.
--There are a variety of stunning scenic viewpoints right off the main road (you can take a shuttle or your car), that give you a lay of the land and provide stunning photography opportunities. 
--There are a variety of trails along the rim, and many hikes that descend into the basin where you can see the unique structures up close.
--The beauty of the park shines even more around sunrise/sunset.
--Bryce is also a "dark sky park" (particularly good place to view stars on a clear night).
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1 day
--PDF map of Bryce National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/upload/Newspaper-for-Web.jpg

Other

East Utah
Moab/Arches/Canyonland

North Utah
Salt Lake City

Author Topic: Utah Master Thread  (Read 61109 times)

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Utah Master Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
Spring is an extremely popular time to hike Angels Landing.  I haven't done it yet, but I remember Zion NP posting to its FB page about the looooong lines (I can't remember if it was in April or May, though) and proper etiquette to make it a positive experience for all hikers.

I believe that spring snowmelt and rain make the Narrows less likely to be safe.  The NPS may even close the trail if they deem it unsafe. 

You will have to take a shuttle in Zion, and that may be impacted by COVID-19.  I took a shuttle last summer in Bryce, and as usual, the rangers on the buses were zealous about enforcing the rules, this time mask-wearing and social distancing.  Fewer people on the buses may mean longer waits to get on.  IIRC, Zion began limiting the number of vehicles that were able to enter, on a first-come-first-serve basis.  Who knows what'll be this year.

In the Arches area is Canyonlands NP, and closer towards Bryce/Zion is Capitol Reef NP.  More than enough to do for three days.
so in regards to shuttles, i went in january so might be different now: theres a parking lot right by the angels landing trailhead and another lot half a mile earlier. if the lot fills up by the angels landing trailhead you have to park by the earlier one- the shuttle doesnt operate at the time i went. it wasnt bad walk
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2021, 02:31:54 AM »
I went last week (Apr 5- Apr 8 ) to Zion NP and Bryce NP in Utah and although I am not going to write a full trip report I figured I'll post some of the info here hoping it will be useful for others.

Mon evening flew into LAS (the airport is a royal pain, from landing to getting the car was over an hour) and drove straight to St. George Utah. We stayed at the Hyatt place for 5k points (for a room that was selling for $160). Hotels are much cheaper and more available than at the park or in Springdale. You can also stock up on provisions for reasonable prices which you cannot in Springdale.

Tues morning we drove to the park and hiked angels landing. It was a great experience although it was pretty crowded. It was about a 4 hour hike round trip, with a 1500 foot elevation gain and the last part features climbing with the aid of chains with 1000 foot drops on either side in some places. To me it wasn't as scary as the pictures videos make it look. If you are afraid of heights or out of shape you may want to consider skipping it. The weather was great low 70's but in the summer it gets to 100 degrees and most of the hike is under the sun with no minimal shade. We also did the emerald pools which didn't have that much water and wasn't that impressive.

Access to the park is closed to private vehicles and is primarily by shuttle which is limited due to covid. They release most of the shuttle tickets twice a month (Mar 16 9am MST for the tickets from Apr 1st thru Apr 15 and so on) and the tickets sell out within minutes. They also release some tickets the night before but they sell out faster than a v75 gold coin. Alternately you can get a private shuttle which is expensive or rent a bike or e-bike. You can enter on foot but it is many miles to the popular sites.

We stayed in Springdale Mon and Tues night at the Springhill Suites using 50k point certificates (rooms were going for over 700 a night). The hotel was totally sold out. The hotel seemed pretty new and very decent. There is also a Holiday Inn and a Hampton Inn that you may be able to book with points. Overall Springdale (which is the gateway to the park) is a nice place nestled in the canyon with the red rock formations towering on either side but it was very crowded. America seems to be done with the pandemic and is out traveling and spending their stimulus. Parking in the park is free but fills up very early and parking outside the park can be up to $30. There is a free shuttle but it doesn't run often enough and If it is full will leave you waiting for the next shuttle.

Wed we hiked the narrows. You hike thru the canyon along the virgin river, part of the time on the rocks along the river and part of the time thru the river itself. In a couple of places the water was waist high. This hike is usually closed in the spring due to the high volume of water but was open due to this winter being a dry winter. The water was 37 degrees. We rented dry suits with waterproof boots and neoprone socks (around 50 dollars a person) and barely felt the cold. You can go as far as you want and then turn around but the best parts (wall street) are about 3-4 miles in. Overall it took us about 5 hours with some stops. Here also it was pretty crowded but as you went further it thinned out. In the summer heat I can imagine this is a very enjoyable hike although I would assume pritzus is an issue.

Thurs morning we drove thru the zion carmel tunnel and explored the east side of the park a bit the we were off to Bryce (about 2 hours away). Bryce was interesting with the canyons, hoodoos (rock formations) and all. We hiked the sunrise point queens garden loop (a bit under 2 hours) and that was very nice. The other worthwhile thing we did was observation point. The rim trail was still closed. We spent 3-4 hours in Bryce and it didn't seem to need more than that. After that back to LAS (4 hours) and a redeye home.

Overall Zion and Bryce were beautiful and the spring weather made it very pleasant. Zion offers two World famous hikes and much awe inspiring scenery. Bryce while not as jaw dropping as Zion was also very nice and unique in its own way.

מה רבו מעשיך ה

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:43:02 AM by ari3 »

Offline lbch

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2021, 02:55:27 AM »
Just came back from Utah, don't have time for trip report, just want to warn fellow travelers that Zion National Park road is closed at nights for construction. If you are spending a day at Bryce, and then traveling at night to Springdale to be near Zion you need to pass that road. We got there at 1AM and had no way of going on. we were almost ready to just sleep in the car! we found a campground (through hashgacha protis) and then got cell phone service there. called the hotel who told us that our other option of driving to springdale is almost a 3 hour drive away! we ended up driving 40 minutes to Kanab and found hotels there.

also angels landing was very crowded & extremely hot. as per our tour guide its best to go at 4:30 when the sun isn't as strong & there's less of a crowd.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2021, 08:56:17 PM »
How much time is recommended at Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, and Zion? Can all four reasonably be done in two days?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »
Bryce and Zion in two days is not really giving each place its due justice. I wouldn't try to add more.

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2021, 04:54:22 PM »
Anyone know about minyan availability in the Bryce or Zion area this week?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline gswannabe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United gold, spg Plat, Delta silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, flying blue gold
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2022, 08:39:41 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for ski lessons?
Will be staying at the WA and I haven’t put on skis in over a decade!!

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »
How much time is recommended at Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, and Zion? Can all four reasonably be done in two days?
you can do Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, and deadhorse point in two days, you'd reasonably need three to add zion

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »
you can do Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, and deadhorse point in two days, you'd reasonably need three to add zion
Recommendations for how long to spend in each and best points to not miss in each?

Doing, deadhorse, canyonlands, and arches one day, then bryce the next.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
Recommendations for how long to spend in each and best points to not miss in each?

we didn't research much just hit the main spots, what ever time allowed for
All the big lookouts and a couple small hikes/loops
we felt we did the place justice
with Arches dont miss Sand Dune Arch- lots of fun playing with the sand and pictures in the canyon
Double arch area
Devils Garden - hike

Canyonlands - Mesa Arch and GrandView and maybe green river overlook are the big ones
from the visitor center you can cross the road and see dead horse point from the other direction

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »
When are you going?

I'm going in a week and I'm trying to make an itinerary for 2 days.

I've been to Zion and Bryce for 1 day (I know that doesn't scrape them but I'll need more time to properly go back).

Definitely want to do arches and canyonland one of the days.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »
we didn't research much just hit the main spots, what ever time allowed for
All the big lookouts and a couple small hikes/loops
we felt we did the place justice
with Arches dont miss Sand Dune Arch- lots of fun playing with the sand and pictures in the canyon
Double arch area
Devils Garden - hike

Canyonlands - Mesa Arch and GrandView and maybe green river overlook are the big ones
from the visitor center you can cross the road and see dead horse point from the other direction

Thanks!

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
When are you going?

April imyh.

Post a TR please or guidance! Thanks!

Offline mimb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »

Bryce is convenient b/c you can drive to the 4 major view points and then do small hikes from there. The park is much smaller compared to Zion

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2022, 07:10:52 PM »

Just a heads up, they are implementing a timed entry system at Arches NP, you have to buy a reservation in advance ($2 per vehicle).

Book now if they have the times you want, otherwise they will release day before tickets at 6pm MT/8pm ET each night.

ETA: this is besides for the park entry fee.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2022, 10:35:11 AM »
Obviously I don't recommend just 1 day in Utah, but if you are looking for an awesome off-the-beaten-path day to add to an itinerary, here's something.

I stayed the night in Green River (3 hours from SLC, 1 hour from Moab), didn't find any Marriott or Hilton options but the location was good for me.

Started the morning driving to Little Wild Horse Canyon (https://maps.app.goo.gl/JJ4T3StZSTtn3V756), took about an hour from Green River. If you've never been to a slot canyon I highly suggest you do this. The slot canyon was incredible, technical requirements were minimal (3-4ft boulders to scramble up or down), and for most of the time I didn't see anyone else.

The canyon makes a loop (I think 8 miles), but it's 0.6 miles until the slot canyon starts and you can go as far as your comfortable and turn back the way you came.

If you're driving between Moab and Bryce, see if you can add this to your trip, it's not too much out of the way and I think it's worth the detour.

Right next to Little Wild Horse Canyon is Goblin Valley State Park. I didn't visit but it's probably a good choice if you have the time.

I drove to Factory Butte and from there to Moon Overlook Rd (https://goo.gl/maps/43APLq4UVDXSUWez7), 1 hour and 20 minutes from little wild horse. If you have a 4x4 and a drone, this place is like a different planet. Don't attempt this in a 2WD, I had an SUV with AWD and I wasn't sure I would make it back out.

There are places that rent horses or ATV's and you can roam around these parts. Check to see what the rules are if you plan on doing this.

After that I drove to Arches NP (about 2 hours drive).

These places are remote save a few little towns, make sure you have plenty of gas and water.
Slot canyons are deadly in the rain, check the weather, if there is any rain on the forecast don't enter the canyon.
Some roads are not paved and may be difficult to drive if they are wet.

And wherever you go in Utah, the drive alone is full of incredible views.

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2022, 03:38:25 PM »
Planning to trip in August, with 4 days (5 minus one for travel), going to the national parks/wonders/beauty in Utah. Given wide ages in the group, our interest is in easy/moderate hikes (preferably with bodies of water, not excessively hot).

I was planning
--1.5 days for Zion
--1 day for bryce
--1-1.5 days for any others (depending on the distance).

It is worth the distance to go up north to Capitol Reef NP, Little Wild horse (slot) canyon, Goblin Valley State Park, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches?
How should I allocate time among them?
Is Moab too far and hot in August to enjoy? (seems pretty hot to hike there in late August)

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to allocate the time among the southern area highlights: Coral Pink Sand Dunes NP, Red Canyon (Kanab), North Rim of Grand Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Page, Horseshoe Canyon, Glen Canyon, other recommendation (taking travel time into account)?

Any specific recommendations on must do hikes/sights (outside of Zion/Bryce, which I've already planned using alltrails.com)?

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline miles lover

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »
What’s a better option to go with 2 couples each with a 9 month old baby, Lake Powell or Yellowstone ? (Lake Powell is a little easier since you fly in to las or phx where there is plenty of kosher food vs slc )

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2022, 05:48:11 PM »
Planning to trip in August, with 4 days (5 minus one for travel), going to the national parks/wonders/beauty in Utah. Given wide ages in the group, our interest is in easy/moderate hikes (preferably with bodies of water, not excessively hot).

I was planning
--1.5 days for Zion
--1 day for bryce
--1-1.5 days for any others (depending on the distance).

It is worth the distance to go up north to Capitol Reef NP, Little Wild horse (slot) canyon, Goblin Valley State Park, Moab, Canyonlands, Arches?
How should I allocate time among them?
Is Moab too far and hot in August to enjoy? (seems pretty hot to hike there in late August)

Alternatively, any suggestions on how to allocate the time among the southern area highlights: Coral Pink Sand Dunes NP, Red Canyon (Kanab), North Rim of Grand Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Page, Horseshoe Canyon, Glen Canyon, other recommendation (taking travel time into account)?

Any specific recommendations on must do hikes/sights (outside of Zion/Bryce, which I've already planned using alltrails.com)?

Personally, I loved Goblin Valley, Little Wild Horse, and Arches. I wasn't so enamored with Capitol Reef, though the road to get there is outstanding. That said, unless you're flying into LAS and out of SLC, I don't think it's worth all the extra driving on your tight schedule, not to mention the possible heat.

I would likely head to Page and go to Antelope Canyon (advance reservation required) and Horseshoe Bend. You could also spend a day enjoying Glen Canyon swimming and/or boating, or you could head to Buckskin Gulch or GC North Rim, depending on how much driving your family is up for.