Topic Wiki

Arizona has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1332.0

South Utah
St. George & Hurricane UT
  • Chabad of Southern Utah: 569 E 200 S, St. George, UT 84770  https://www.jewishsouthernutah.com/
  • Red Hills desert Garden 375 E. Red Hills Parkway, St. George, UT 84770  Small & Free. Nice stop to see various desert plants for 20-60 minutes
  • Fiesta Fun Center (Bowling, Lazer Tag, Batting Cages, Go Karts, Arcades, bumper boats). Mostly indoors.
  • Kayak Rentals in Quail Creek State Park; 472 N 5300 West, Hurricane, UT 84737  https://digpaddlesports.com/
  • River Tubing 771 W Sr 9; Virgin, Utah 84779 https://www.tubingzion.com/   

In general alltrails.com is a good resource to find hiking trails that meet your interest (you can filter by length, difficulty, popularity, and review pictures and comments).

Zion National Park
--Fantastic hiking and waterfalls among magnificent red rocks scenery. Temperatures are usually substantially cooler than surrounding cities.
--Unique and popular trails include Angels landing (Hard), The Narrows (hike up a shallow creek in a narrow canyon, be aware of flashflood risks at certain times of year, or following rain), Canyon overlook trail (right after the tunnel along the right artery) among many others stunning hikes.
--There is also stunningly beautiful scenic drives both along the main road (only via shuttle in the summer) and the right artery (via your own vehicle), and there are also bike and e-bike rentals in Springdale UT (near the main entrance to the park).
--There are trails that are only accessible via other entrances (Kolob)
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1-2 days
--PDF map of Zion National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/ZionUnigrid.pdf

Bryce National Park
--Bryce is a relatively small national park, but a geological wonder, with uniquely colored rocks and hoo-doos (stone pillars formed by repeated freezing/melting).
--The visitor center has a 25 minute video playing every 30 minutes for some background on the uniqueness of the park.
--There are a variety of stunning scenic viewpoints right off the main road (you can take a shuttle or your car), that give you a lay of the land and provide stunning photography opportunities. 
--There are a variety of trails along the rim, and many hikes that descend into the basin where you can see the unique structures up close.
--The beauty of the park shines even more around sunrise/sunset.
--Bryce is also a "dark sky park" (particularly good place to view stars on a clear night).
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1 day
--PDF map of Bryce National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/upload/Newspaper-for-Web.jpg

Other

East Utah
Moab/Arches/Canyonland

North Utah
Salt Lake City

Author Topic: Utah Master Thread  (Read 60381 times)

Offline princea143

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Utah Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2016, 03:06:15 AM »
My wife and I are going to be at HC Park City for Sundance starting this Saturday with a DSU (last one for the period apparently, but I know that I used it 4 times already last year). We actually fly in on Friday evening and are staying at HP SLC Downtown that night. I spoke to the reps at the HC, and they said that parking was available at the hotel, but since it is going to be super busy in the city center, it is unlikely that parking could be found; parking is also $25 throughout the city.

So, my wife and I just opted to Uber to and from SLC instead of renting a car for 4 or 5 days. There's a complimentary shuttle that takes us to and from the city and a town nearby once at HC PC, so we have no issues with that. Just wanted to see if anybody else was doing the same or renting a car. I checked how much it would cost to Uber both ways and it's about $110 max, but we have a $20 credit and 21.5% off as we have our Capital One Quicksilver attached to it. Much cheaper than a car rental.

This will also be our first time skiing, and we are borrowing gear from friends exc skis etc. Can anybody recommend rental places for the skis and also cheapest prices for lift tix or tutorials? What are we to expect? This will be my wife's 2nd time seeing snow also. haha

Lastly, assuming anybody here will be there, what's everyone doing for Sundance? Any movies to look out for? I'd love our stay to be memorable, so I'll take any recommendations. Thanks for the info.

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
My wife and I are going to be at HC Park City for Sundance starting this Saturday with a DSU (last one for the period apparently, but I know that I used it 4 times already last year). We actually fly in on Friday evening and are staying at HP SLC Downtown that night. I spoke to the reps at the HC, and they said that parking was available at the hotel, but since it is going to be super busy in the city center, it is unlikely that parking could be found; parking is also $25 throughout the city.

So, my wife and I just opted to Uber to and from SLC instead of renting a car for 4 or 5 days. There's a complimentary shuttle that takes us to and from the city and a town nearby once at HC PC, so we have no issues with that. Just wanted to see if anybody else was doing the same or renting a car. I checked how much it would cost to Uber both ways and it's about $110 max, but we have a $20 credit and 21.5% off as we have our Capital One Quicksilver attached to it. Much cheaper than a car rental.

This will also be our first time skiing, and we are borrowing gear from friends exc skis etc. Can anybody recommend rental places for the skis and also cheapest prices for lift tix or tutorials? What are we to expect? This will be my wife's 2nd time seeing snow also. haha

Lastly, assuming anybody here will be there, what's everyone doing for Sundance? Any movies to look out for? I'd love our stay to be memorable, so I'll take any recommendations. Thanks for the info.

Ha- We did the exact above this past Sat night-Tues night. Hyatt is great, and perfect for skiing as it's the only true ski on/off, as the ski valet leads straight to a lift. Use Aloha rentals- They are in the hotel and if you reserve online you save, and is comparable to all the other places. We did uber too, and is definitely a good idea with 2 exceptions; 1) The driver we had said that during sundance there will probably be surge pricing, but you could probably just cab it if it's too crazy. 2) If it's raining in SLC it's definitely snowing on the road up to PC which could be dangerous in a civic or camry. We got lucky with uberx and got a pickup, but woulda been scary without. There's also uberski which i think is just $4 extra but gets you AWD.
Lastly, conditions are great for skiing, and don't be deceived by the lack of green runs. Many of the blues(esp the dotted blues) are catwalks. No clue re: sundance,

Offline princea143

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 02:58:38 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll contact Aloha tomorrow.  The prices are reasonable, but I'd have to find out which package we will need as this will be both our first time skiing.  I am going to assume that we will be under the Bronze package, but it doesn't have any details with what each package comes with (ie. instructions, training, etc).

Regarding Uber, I sure hope there are no surges when we try to go there.  I will definitely cab it, if so, assuming that it isn't snowing hard.  I'll check out uberski for sure, but after I check out uberx.  If the vehicle ends up being a civic or camry or comparable, I'll just cancel.     

Anything else we should try out while there that you thought was a great experience?

Offline westman812

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll contact Aloha tomorrow.  The prices are reasonable, but I'd have to find out which package we will need as this will be both our first time skiing.  I am going to assume that we will be under the Bronze package, but it doesn't have any details with what each package comes with (ie. instructions, training, etc).

Regarding Uber, I sure hope there are no surges when we try to go there.  I will definitely cab it, if so, assuming that it isn't snowing hard.  I'll check out uberski for sure, but after I check out uberx.  If the vehicle ends up being a civic or camry or comparable, I'll just cancel.     

Anything else we should try out while there that you thought was a great experience?

Call Aloha to ask. We did Silver but we're intermediate. Forgot to mention; stop off at Walmart on the way into PC, everything on or near the mountain is very expensive and if you have a suite, you should have a kitchen to make most of your food. We visited PC town and although it's a nice experience, it will be mobbed due to sundance. Stay on the mountain.

Offline princea143

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
Noted.  Thanks again.

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
Flying in to SLC in about a month and want to fly out of LAS three days later. Wanted to stop at Bryce Canyon and Zion Park on the way for a day. Any tips/ suggestions? Also where to stay at SLC/Bryce area? Any where to get Kosher food (before Vegas)? TIA

Offline mord1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2016, 01:54:21 AM »
Flying in to SLC in about a month and want to fly out of LAS three days later. Wanted to stop at Bryce Canyon and Zion Park on the way for a day. Any tips/ suggestions? Also where to stay at SLC/Bryce area? Any where to get Kosher food (before Vegas)? TIA
that is a long drive, no food before vegas that I am aware of. there was a best western by the entrance to Bryce, a bunch of small motels by zion

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Any Kosher food/ Minyan around SLC? Would a Walmart there have the same Kosher bread etc. options as in the tri-state?

Offline mord1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
Any Kosher food/ Minyan around SLC? Would a Walmart there have the same Kosher bread etc. options as in the tri-state?
I have never been to SLC, I don't think there is more than chabad there, call him and ask

Offline GreatFoodinMiami

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »
I am looking to spend Shabbos at or near Zion National park the weekend of August 20th. I would love to know that there will be others tere who can join for shabbos minyan and meal. If you will be there at the same time, please let me know.

Offline aarony

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »
Post on godaven.com for temp minyan. 

Offline csl1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:46 AM »
we are going August 22- 30th Iyh.... based in washington, UT to hike Zion and drive to Bryce for one day

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2016, 02:07:57 AM »
i got my info. here it is in case anyone else comes to this thread because of the upcoming overstock event:

Kosher-on-the-go will serve lunch (paid for by OS). the owner's name is Israel Lefler: 801.755.6194 israellefler@yahoo.com.
He is only open for OS that entire week. you can also get dinner from him as well.

he gets his meat from Denver. (will find out more about hashgacha when i speak to Rabbi Z.

rabbi in charge is RabbI Zippel:
Chabad Utah Info

i left him a message and will let you know when i have an answer regarding Minyan
Did you end up getting more info? What meat does he use?

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2016, 02:29:33 AM »
Did you end up getting more info? What meat does he use?
This was for a meeting which I arranged for one of our salesmen. Sorry I don't have more
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »
This was for a meeting which I arranged for one of our salesmen. Sorry I don't have more
Not a problem. Thanks.

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 03:07:06 PM »
Any update on kosher options in Salt Lake/Park City. Going there in a few weeks.  The restaurant in Park City is closed for the summer.  Best supermarkets for kosher food? TIA

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
Any update on kosher options in Salt Lake/Park City. Going there in a few weeks.  The restaurant in Park City is closed for the summer.  Best supermarkets for kosher food? TIA
Kosher on the go.

See here
http://www.jewishutah.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/56830/jewish/Kosher.htm

Offline pghtown

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
Kosher on the go.

See here
http://www.jewishutah.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/56830/jewish/Kosher.htm

THANKS! Which supermarket is best for kosher food (e.g. frozen meat etc)

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2017, 09:47:36 PM »
THANKS! Which supermarket is best for kosher food (e.g. frozen meat etc)
See link above.

"More Kosher groceries are available at the following supermarkets:

SMITH'S MARKETPLACE
3215 South Valley Street 
Salt Lake City (Canyon Rim Area) 
(801) 486-7514
Frozen Kosher Food is Aisle 14 and Dry Goods Kosher Foods in Aisle 8

FRESH MARKET 
1638 South 900 East
Salt Lake City
(801) 484-8741"

Btw you need to call Kosher on the go in advance, and it's takeout only.

Offline Champ365

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
Would anyone know if chabad park city is walkable from St regis Deer Valley?