Topic Wiki

Arizona has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1332.0

South Utah
St. George & Hurricane UT
  • Chabad of Southern Utah: 569 E 200 S, St. George, UT 84770  https://www.jewishsouthernutah.com/
  • Red Hills desert Garden 375 E. Red Hills Parkway, St. George, UT 84770  Small & Free. Nice stop to see various desert plants for 20-60 minutes
  • Fiesta Fun Center (Bowling, Lazer Tag, Batting Cages, Go Karts, Arcades, bumper boats). Mostly indoors.
  • Kayak Rentals in Quail Creek State Park; 472 N 5300 West, Hurricane, UT 84737  https://digpaddlesports.com/
  • River Tubing 771 W Sr 9; Virgin, Utah 84779 https://www.tubingzion.com/   

In general alltrails.com is a good resource to find hiking trails that meet your interest (you can filter by length, difficulty, popularity, and review pictures and comments).

Zion National Park
--Fantastic hiking and waterfalls among magnificent red rocks scenery. Temperatures are usually substantially cooler than surrounding cities.
--Unique and popular trails include Angels landing (Hard), The Narrows (hike up a shallow creek in a narrow canyon, be aware of flashflood risks at certain times of year, or following rain), Canyon overlook trail (right after the tunnel along the right artery) among many others stunning hikes.
--There is also stunningly beautiful scenic drives both along the main road (only via shuttle in the summer) and the right artery (via your own vehicle), and there are also bike and e-bike rentals in Springdale UT (near the main entrance to the park).
--There are trails that are only accessible via other entrances (Kolob)
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1-2 days
--PDF map of Zion National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/ZionUnigrid.pdf

Bryce National Park
--Bryce is a relatively small national park, but a geological wonder, with uniquely colored rocks and hoo-doos (stone pillars formed by repeated freezing/melting).
--The visitor center has a 25 minute video playing every 30 minutes for some background on the uniqueness of the park.
--There are a variety of stunning scenic viewpoints right off the main road (you can take a shuttle or your car), that give you a lay of the land and provide stunning photography opportunities. 
--There are a variety of trails along the rim, and many hikes that descend into the basin where you can see the unique structures up close.
--The beauty of the park shines even more around sunrise/sunset.
--Bryce is also a "dark sky park" (particularly good place to view stars on a clear night).
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1 day
--PDF map of Bryce National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/upload/Newspaper-for-Web.jpg

Other

East Utah
Moab/Arches/Canyonland

North Utah
Salt Lake City

Author Topic: Utah Master Thread  (Read 61120 times)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Utah Master Thread
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Would anyone know if chabad park city is walkable from St regis Deer Valley?
Ask the Rabbi.

PM me for his #. ( Not sure he wants his cell  posted on a public forum )

Offline sarafrankel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
Going to Bryce and Zion National park next week. Any advice on where to stay ? Would prefer something upscale. Hotels on tripadvisor don't look very appealing. Had thought to stay in Springdale near Zion, but now weather forecast is heat wave and Bryce looks cooler. (Flying into Las Vegas , driving to parks. Prefer to stay in single place all week and do day trips to other parks).
Would appreciate any recommendations !

TIA

Offline Moshe_N

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2018, 03:39:21 AM »
Heading to Utah this winter break and was wondering if you can give me any recommendations. I know the ski free first day of arrival isnt being offered this year (http://www.utahstate.com/park-city-quick-start) but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good deals I could take advantage of. Is it worth it to take a car? Best place to get skiing gear. Any other activities besides for skiing that is special to Utah? Shul nearby? Really anything. Thanks! I will be staying at canyons village

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »
Heading to Utah this winter break and was wondering if you can give me any recommendations. I know the ski free first day of arrival isnt being offered this year (http://www.utahstate.com/park-city-quick-start) but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good deals I could take advantage of. Is it worth it to take a car? Best place to get skiing gear. Any other activities besides for skiing that is special to Utah? Shul nearby? Really anything. Thanks! I will be staying at canyons village
Don't wanna splurge for St Regis Deer Valley? Rates should fall to 20k after 8/18.
Risk is opportunity

Offline Moshe_N

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
I'm paying 20k for a 4 room suite. Unless deer valley can beat that, then I prefer to stay there

Offline RJ898

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
I'm landing in SLC this sunday (8/12). Landing just after 9pm
Leaving from SLC on Wednesday (8/15) just after 5pm.

That leaves me with just over 2 full days there.

Do I plan a trip to Zion or Bryce, or do I stay local, pay the 30k points a night for the st Regis, and just enjoy SLC?

Just me and my wife, no kids.

Thanks
Part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Offline challah baker

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
I'm paying 20k for a 4 room suite. Unless deer valley can beat that, then I prefer to stay there
where did you stay?

Offline Moshe_N

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
where did you stay?
Havent left yet. Were gonna be staying at the hyatt centric park city from the 17-20

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »
Suggestions were to stay for Shabbos near minyan?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline LZK

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2019, 08:29:14 PM »
Suggestions were to stay for Shabbos near minyan?
https://www.parkcitymountain.com/explore-the-resort/during-your-stay/kosher-vacations.aspx

If you find other decent options, please post

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Looks like a few DDF’rs (@ganizzy, @aarony) have done The Narrows hike at Zion with kids who are novice hikers. Anyone try it and turn back before reaching Wall Street or Orderville because it was too hard? Is it too strenuous for my 9 year old daughter?

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2019, 09:35:29 AM »
Nine year old will be perfectly fine.  I don’t remember where we turned around. 

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
Looks like a few DDF’rs (@ganizzy, @aarony) have done The Narrows hike at Zion with kids who are novice hikers. Anyone try it and turn back before reaching Wall Street or Orderville because it was too hard? Is it too strenuous for my 9 year old daughter?
Not at all strenuous...If it gets too long, just turn around wherever...

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02:43 AM »

There's a chabad there. We did snowmobiling and loved it. We also visited the ice castles in Midway which was kind of cool, but mostly a tourist attraction. A car is certainly useful for Walmart, visiting Park City, etc. But depending on what else you do, you could probably get away without it
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2019, 12:09:52 AM »
Havent left yet. Were gonna be staying at the hyatt centric park city from the 17-20
how was?

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
We hiked the Narrows with kids who were 10 and 8 with no particular hiking experience, plus a 1.5 year old in a child carrier on my back. We made it past Wall Street with no issues whatsoever. We only turned around when the water level got too high for everyone's comfort, which wasn't so far before the turn-around point at the end. Highly recommended! We rented the hiking package from one of the outfitters in town to help everyone's mobility.

We've never been to the Ice Castle in Midway, but absolutely love the one in NH.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
We also did a sleigh ride, which was cute. I looked into dogsledding, which looked really awesome but expensive.
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.