Topic Wiki

Arizona has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=1332.0

South Utah
St. George & Hurricane UT
  • Chabad of Southern Utah: 569 E 200 S, St. George, UT 84770  https://www.jewishsouthernutah.com/
  • Red Hills desert Garden 375 E. Red Hills Parkway, St. George, UT 84770  Small & Free. Nice stop to see various desert plants for 20-60 minutes
  • Fiesta Fun Center (Bowling, Lazer Tag, Batting Cages, Go Karts, Arcades, bumper boats). Mostly indoors.
  • Kayak Rentals in Quail Creek State Park; 472 N 5300 West, Hurricane, UT 84737  https://digpaddlesports.com/
  • River Tubing 771 W Sr 9; Virgin, Utah 84779 https://www.tubingzion.com/   

In general alltrails.com is a good resource to find hiking trails that meet your interest (you can filter by length, difficulty, popularity, and review pictures and comments).

Zion National Park
--Fantastic hiking and waterfalls among magnificent red rocks scenery. Temperatures are usually substantially cooler than surrounding cities.
--Unique and popular trails include Angels landing (Hard), The Narrows (hike up a shallow creek in a narrow canyon, be aware of flashflood risks at certain times of year, or following rain), Canyon overlook trail (right after the tunnel along the right artery) among many others stunning hikes.
--There is also stunningly beautiful scenic drives both along the main road (only via shuttle in the summer) and the right artery (via your own vehicle), and there are also bike and e-bike rentals in Springdale UT (near the main entrance to the park).
--There are trails that are only accessible via other entrances (Kolob)
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1-2 days
--PDF map of Zion National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/ZionUnigrid.pdf

Bryce National Park
--Bryce is a relatively small national park, but a geological wonder, with uniquely colored rocks and hoo-doos (stone pillars formed by repeated freezing/melting).
--The visitor center has a 25 minute video playing every 30 minutes for some background on the uniqueness of the park.
--There are a variety of stunning scenic viewpoints right off the main road (you can take a shuttle or your car), that give you a lay of the land and provide stunning photography opportunities. 
--There are a variety of trails along the rim, and many hikes that descend into the basin where you can see the unique structures up close.
--The beauty of the park shines even more around sunrise/sunset.
--Bryce is also a "dark sky park" (particularly good place to view stars on a clear night).
--The average visitor will likely get most of the beauty of the park in 1 day
--PDF map of Bryce National Park is at https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/upload/Newspaper-for-Web.jpg

Other

East Utah
Moab/Arches/Canyonland

North Utah
Salt Lake City

Author Topic: Utah Master Thread  (Read 61108 times)

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Utah Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »
Has anyone been to Red Canyon aka Peek-A-Boo Canyon? I wanted to go to Antelope Canyon but it will most likely still be closed in July, I was told the Red Canyon in Kenab, UT is most similiar to it.

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »
Has anyone been to Red Canyon aka Peek-A-Boo Canyon? I wanted to go to Antelope Canyon but it will most likely still be closed in July, I was told the Red Canyon in Kenab, UT is most similiar to it.

Didn't go to Red Canyon but there are so many nice canyons/hikes in that area that you really can't go wrong

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2020, 12:21:37 AM »
I highly suggest anyone going to SLC to visit Bonneville Salt flat. really cool and beautiful place!! not sure why it's so little known. Driving there was so amazing and the scenery is unmatched! as someone (ex ddf'er) told me, I'm not sure why people go all the way to Bolivia to see salt flats when we have this in our backyard

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
Didn't go to Red Canyon but there are so many nice canyons/hikes in that area that you really can't go wrong

I was told we would need a tour guide because of the road conditions, is that true?

Offline mimb

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
I was told we would need a tour guide because of the road conditions, is that true?

I have no idea. What is wrong with the road conditions?

Offline chaimh770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2020, 06:12:08 PM »
Anyone know of someone familiar with Zion National Park that can be a tour guide for a large group? Specifically want to do the narrows

Offline chaimh770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
Would also love to know.. is it actually similar? What's it like?

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »
I have no idea. What is wrong with the road conditions?

Sand that cars can easily get stuck in and they said rental insurance won’t cover it.

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »
Anyone know of someone familiar with Zion National Park that can be a tour guide for a large group? Specifically want to do the narrows
Don’t just plan around the narrows, we were there for a few days and each day it was high risk for flooding. Didn’t end up doing that hike. We did something else similar it’s call Kannara Creek.

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
We didn't do Peek-a-boo, but it's supposed to be amazing. Some of the slot canyons require a fair amount of off-road driving, which can be an issue depending on your rental rules and personal comfort. I still don't think it's the same as Antelope, which is famous for its midday light rays that you won't find elsewhere.

But for the actual slot canyon experience, which is amazing for kids, you can definitely find substitutes in Utah, possibly even better, since you won't be subject to the tour guide's timing and regulations. We went to Little Wild Horse and had an amazing time. It's also right near Goblin Valley, which to me is a can't miss.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2020, 12:34:44 AM »
We didn't do Peek-a-boo, but it's supposed to be amazing. Some of the slot canyons require a fair amount of off-road driving, which can be an issue depending on your rental rules and personal comfort. I still don't think it's the same as Antelope, which is famous for its midday light rays that you won't find elsewhere.

But for the actual slot canyon experience, which is amazing for kids, you can definitely find substitutes in Utah, possibly even better, since you won't be subject to the tour guide's timing and regulations. We went to Little Wild Horse and had an amazing time. It's also right near Goblin Valley, which to me is a can't miss.

Thanks, we will be in Page, AZ so Kenab is doable in one day but Little Wild Horse will be too far.

Offline Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
I'm looking to do week itinerary in March
Landing in PHX Thu noon, planning on chilling @ the Hyatt regency in scottsdale till early Sunday morning
Sun I wanna cover Sedona (the basics) and cover South rim of GC for late noon and sunset
Mon cover basics in Page, AZ then do Bryce canyon for late noon and sunset
Tue (from what I hear Zion really needs a full day) Zion Park and drive to Vegas till Thursday noon (hoover dam).
If someone can please help me with the basics of Sedona, GC, Page, Bryce, Zion I would really appreciate it.
Again I'm planning on getting up early. And driving every night after sunset to my next morning location
TIA!!

Offline Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2021, 11:25:23 PM »
If someone can please help me with the basics of Sedona, GC, Page, Bryce, Zion I would really appreciate it.
I have a lot planned and figured out already, just wanted to hear from previous travelers what to do TIA

Offline mord1

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2021, 12:12:51 AM »
I have a lot planned and figured out already, just wanted to hear from previous travelers what to do TIA
that is very ambitious and a lot of driving, you wont have that much time to hike- if you were planning on doing any of that.  I dont know what the current story is- but if you can go to "the wave" its near page

Offline Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2021, 07:51:36 AM »
Due to my wife "waiting for a simcha" I'm not planning on doing all that much hiking, wanna do more sight seeing - getting the taste of it all sun-tue
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:57:46 AM by Young explorer »

Offline mimb

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2021, 09:16:15 AM »
Due to my wife "waiting for a simcha" I'm not planning on doing all that much hiking, wanna do more sight seeing - getting the taste of it all sun-tue

Adding my mini-TR below but just so you're aware, a lot of the sight seeing is thru hiking (except maybe in Bryce)
-Saturday night: flight from JFK-LAS on Jetblue. Used Chase CSR points to book. Drove 2 hours to St. George and stayed at Hyatt Place St. George. Pretty nice accommodations and room size. Breakfast was fine the next morning. Didn't get in till pretty late so slept in a little Sunday morning.

-Sunday: drove to Zion. Parking lot fills up pretty early we learned so can be difficult if you drive in after 10AM. Got the annual national parks pass for $80 which will save you some money if you're visiting the other NP in the area. Hiked the lower emerald pools, Pa'rus trail, and riverside walk. Stayed at Springhill Suites Springdale right next to Zion (40k points). Fairly new hotel and the surrounding scenery is breathtaking. Soaking in the hot tub after a long day was phenomenal.

-Monday: decided we would try the infamous Angels Landing early AM to beat the crowds. Very strenuous hike but feels great when you make it to the top. We didn't originally think it would be possible but after seeing everyone in their waterproof gear, we really wanted to hike the Narrows. With rain in the forecast we rushed to Zion Outfitters and quickly rented some gear ($40 pp) despite them telling us it wouldn't be the best weather and flash floods can happen unpredictably. Yes, we were crazy but it was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities so we felt we had to do it. Took the long bus ride all the way to the top and started hiking thru the river. The water level was very high in some parts (coming up to my waist) but the waterproof gear worked like a charm and although our feet got wet, they magically didn't get cold! We loved hiking thru the river and although the rain cut our hike short it was really unforgettable. With the rapidly changing weather in the park, we got treated to a rainbow which was a nice ending to the day. Started the 1.5 hour drive to Kanab to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Kanab (5k CSR points).

-Tuesday: drove from Kanab to Bryce Canyon. Bryce had some snowfall so driving was a bit tough in our Hyundai Elantra but the park was beautiful covered in a blanket of now. The downside was standing outside the lookouts was FREEZING and some trails were closed. Hiked down the hoodoos into the navajo loop and queens garden. Also did a short hike in a different section of Bryce that we exited the park to get to, but I can't remember the name. Bryce Canyon was my personal favorite park as the rock formations are just out of this world. Long drive from Bryce Canyon to Page, AZ. Stayed at the Hyatt Place Page using my free night certificate. Hotel was busy, shower had no water pressure for some reason but overall nice place.

-Wednesday: Lower Antelope Canyon tour with Ken's Tours. It is definitely a must see but be aware that it is always very crowded and unfortunately they do rush you thru the canyon a bit. Our tour guide wasn't the best but I overheard one of the other one's pointing out the cool rock formations and facts about the canyon. After Antelope Canyon we drove to Horseshoe Bend which is pretty close by. Parking is $10. Another natural wonder that you just don't get to see in the NY area. With updated weather forecasts and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon closed, we decided we were going to do the drive to the South Rim. It is a bit long but thankfully the roads are pretty straight and with the elevated speed limits, time went by fairly quickly. We made the bracha for a natural wonder b/c the first time you see the size and magnitude of the canyon it takes a few seconds for it all to sink in. We hadn't booked the hotel for our last night yet b/c we didn't know how the weather situation would affect our plans so I was scrambling to find a last minute hotel room. Luckily a winter storm was expected for Thanksgiving day so people were cancelling reservations and we were able to get a room at the Maswick Lodge in the park for only $100. It was a clean basic room but this gave us the chance to stay out later to watch sunset @ Mohabi Point and later the stars since the park is completely dark.

-Thursday: South Kaibab trailhead, Rim Trail to Mather's Point. Drove 4.5 hours back to Las Vegas for dinner at Ace of Steaks. Had some time before our flight and having never been to Vegas before, we walked through the Venetian hotel which we thought was pretty cool. Red eye flight back to JFK on Jetblue paid with cash.

To summarize: very busy and action packed 4.5 days but one of the most fun trips we've ever done and absolutely need to go see the other parks in Utah

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »
The Riverside hike in Zion is not strenuous. They have buses(not sure if they're open)that go to all the main points in the park. You can get out and walk around as much or as little as you want to. In Bryce there are lookouts and walks that are  accessible from parking lots. You can drive from place to place as opposed to hiking. Same thing for Grand Canyon;plenty of lookouts with little hiking needed.
If you will be in Bryce at night check out the night time lookouts, Bryce is a Dark Sky park.

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2021, 11:35:55 PM »
Thinking of going to Arches and Bryce after Pesach. Would fly into LAS and spend three days there. I had a couple of questions.

The other party on my trip is scared of hiking angels landing due to safety issues, any comment on that?

Is the narrows doable in April if it is open (is it too cold)?

This doesn't seem to be 3 full days worth. Anything else I should add?

TIA

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2021, 11:55:53 PM »
Thinking of going to Arches and Bryce after Pesach. Would fly into LAS and spend three days there. I had a couple of questions.

The other party on my trip is scared of hiking angels landing due to safety issues, any comment on that?

TIA
im excited to hear a question on angels landing. I did it and it was the best hike in my life.
Here’s the deal: the first 2-3 miles is paved walking . You are hiking up the side of a mountain so one end of the walkway is the cliff, but the walkway is about 10-12 feet wide. Very comfortable walking. If your more nervous just walk in the inner part near the wall . When you get to scouts lookout that’s a great accomplishment! Even if some of ur group doesn’t want to continue congrats to where you got to! It’s a great view from there.
But from scouts lookout to angels landing summit is about 1 mile and it’s the funnest part. You use chains to climb along the mountain. In my opinion you don’t need to be particularly muscular and fit to do it. I’m not fat but I’m not fit either and I loved it. It’s not hard like you’re scaling mt Everest but just be patient and have good balance don’t rush. (Unless you have some motion sickness issues , I assume you have good balance I’m not talking about Olympic grade talent)
All in all I met plenty of ppl on the trail (men, women , young, older) and it was the best !
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2021, 06:53:24 AM »

TIA
Spring is an extremely popular time to hike Angels Landing.  I haven't done it yet, but I remember Zion NP posting to its FB page about the looooong lines (I can't remember if it was in April or May, though) and proper etiquette to make it a positive experience for all hikers.

I believe that spring snowmelt and rain make the Narrows less likely to be safe.  The NPS may even close the trail if they deem it unsafe. 

You will have to take a shuttle in Zion, and that may be impacted by COVID-19.  I took a shuttle last summer in Bryce, and as usual, the rangers on the buses were zealous about enforcing the rules, this time mask-wearing and social distancing.  Fewer people on the buses may mean longer waits to get on.  IIRC, Zion began limiting the number of vehicles that were able to enter, on a first-come-first-serve basis.  Who knows what'll be this year.

In the Arches area is Canyonlands NP, and closer towards Bryce/Zion is Capitol Reef NP.  More than enough to do for three days.
44/50, 46/63