Author Topic: Trip Cancellation Insurance Worthless?  (Read 683 times)

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Trip Cancellation Insurance Worthless?
« on: August 07, 2023, 12:45:39 AM »
I put together a complicated itinerary with a mix of airlines booked through miles on some legs and cash on others and the same with hotels combining points and cash reservations.
We almost had to cancel but BH we were able to travel. One of the reasons we pushed through is Chase/Cap1’s contractor ‘eclaimsline’ trip cancellation insurance seemed like a complete nightmare to navigate. The rep I spoke with had no idea if points/miles reservations were covered (taxes and fees paid on the right cc’s) and when I looked at reviews the universal consensus was that submitting claims was an exercise in futility or at the very least extremely frustrating with requests for the same documents multiple times and no clear timeline on processing.
Does anyone have experience with the trip cancellation insurance included with Chase/Cap1/Amex cards or maybe better yet ones that cost money but at least you get reimbursed for claims in a somewhat normal manner?

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Cancellation Insurance Worthless?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 02:24:56 AM »
I can't answer to your question, but... Username sure checks out.

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 08:24:21 AM »
I put together a complicated itinerary with a mix of airlines booked through miles on some legs and cash on others and the same with hotels combining points and cash reservations.
We almost had to cancel but BH we were able to travel. One of the reasons we pushed through is Chase/Cap1’s contractor ‘eclaimsline’ trip cancellation insurance seemed like a complete nightmare to navigate. The rep I spoke with had no idea if points/miles reservations were covered (taxes and fees paid on the right cc’s) and when I looked at reviews the universal consensus was that submitting claims was an exercise in futility or at the very least extremely frustrating with requests for the same documents multiple times and no clear timeline on processing.
Does anyone have experience with the trip cancellation insurance included with Chase/Cap1/Amex cards or maybe better yet ones that cost money but at least you get reimbursed for claims in a somewhat normal manner?

I totally am not claiming to know the answer for sure, but at least with chase, your points are tied to a specific card that you are redeeming from, i.e. most likely a reserve if its through chase travel. So your points are k’ilu youre using your card, so if it would qualify for insurance reasons then you would get the sapphire reserve insurance policy in the amount of the cash value of your trip. I dont know if this is accurate but based off of observation, that is what it would seem

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 08:54:27 AM »
I totally am not claiming to know the answer for sure, but at least with chase, your points are tied to a specific card that you are redeeming from, i.e. most likely a reserve if its through chase travel. So your points are k’ilu youre using your card, so if it would qualify for insurance reasons then you would get the sapphire reserve insurance policy in the amount of the cash value of your trip. I dont know if this is accurate but based off of observation, that is what it would seem
Thanks. I should have been clearer in that I meant Chase points transferred to airline/hotel currencies. I think you’re right if booking through the Chase travel portal.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
You have to rest the T&CS of the insurance policy you're using. Not all companies will cover award redeposit fees.

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 02:05:44 PM »
I had two trip cancellation claims with the old Citi Prestige card. They were both processed and paid in a timely manner once they had all the paperwork. This was a few years ago (4-5).

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »
What reasons do the trip insurance allow for a cancellation refund?
My favorite cause: cssy.org