Author Topic: Honduras Master thread  (Read 11019 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Honduras Master thread
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
so I just booked flights to SAP I know it's a little off the beaten track, but thats what I like about it.

Staying at the intercontinental in san pedro sula for 5K PC a night flying with delta for $206 that's 5.01 CPM seems to be a Shul in town waiting on an email reply from them.. WIll probobly go to Roatan for a day or two not sure about the rest of the plan yet..

has anyone gone there or have info ?

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Honduras Master thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »
so I just booked flights to SAP I know it's a little off the beaten track, but thats what I like about it.

Staying at the intercontinental in san pedro sula for 5K PC a night flying with delta for $206 that's 5.01 CPM seems to be a Shul in town waiting on an email reply from them.. WIll probobly go to Roatan for a day or two not sure about the rest of the plan yet..

has anyone gone there or have info ?
How long are you there for?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
Are you going with anyone else?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
Are you going with anyone else?
Yes a freind, wouldn't go myslef

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
Yes a freind, wouldn't go myslef
yeah I was gonna say! I almost went a few weeks ago but stuck to Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Do you speak Spanish and are you planning on renting a car?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Honduras Master thread
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »
yeah I was gonna say! I almost went a few weeks ago but stuck to Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Do you speak Spanish and are you planning on renting a car?

How was your trip? Any chance of a trip report?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
How was your trip? Any chance of a trip report?
trip was awesome! I guess if you guys want I can do a trip report, just need a drop of spare time.

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
trip was awesome! I guess if you guys want I can do a trip report, just need a drop of spare time.
TRs are always wanted.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
TRs are always wanted.
Ok then I will put one together

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
did that a little while ago was awesome, I dont speak much but understand enough to get around I dont think Im gonna rent a car I did in costa rica..

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:30 PM »
So just got back from an awesome trip:
flew out of EWR with stop in ATL on to SAP got upgraded all the way thru with DL silver ? :) arrived in SAP in the afternoon, met someone on the plane who gave us ride to Intercontinental which is the nicest hotel in the city so sitting in first I assumed correctly that basicly everyone was staying in the intercontinental.

San Pedro Sula :
there is really nothing to do in San Pedro but here are the things we did
Guamilito market it's officially the handcraft market, probably around half the things there where made by hand the other half in china, most of the stuff is just junk you will never want but the hand made hammocks are really nice picked up some of those for $20.. went to "central park" shares about nothing with the NYC one :) walked around for 20 min at which point we figured we would probobly be murdered if we stayed any longer so took a cab back to hotel. Next morning we took the "hedman Alas" bus from central station to La ceiba the bus cost $25 each way for executive plus seats, it was forsure the most comfortable bus I have ever been on. From La Ceiba we took "galaxy Wave" boat to Roatan Island cost $54 round trip. total travel time was 3 hours for the bus and hour and a half for boat.
Roatan:
once on roatan island we took cab to the "west end" which is the more backpacker side of the island. There are a ton of small hotels / hostels we easily found a private "hut" right by the beach for $30  night link. There is tons to do on Roatan alot is centered around the diving. Roatan has the second largest barrier reef after the great barrier reef in australia so the island is covered in dive shops and all super cheap. There where many people who where staying there for 1-2 months getting their diving instructor certifications for ~$750. If you just want to go snorkeling you can do that to for ~ $5 for full day rental plus a boat ride to bring you out to the reef. The reef is closer to the beach in many locations so no need to take a boat we found the best reef to be by one of the "big resorts" in the west bay area... to be continued

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
wow cool! thanks and keep it coming :D

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
TRs are always wanted.
All done it is in the Costa Rica master thread.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:11 PM »
Roatan: - continued

we, rented mo-peds for $45 for the day it's a little expensive but i thought well worth it. the island is about an hour from one end to the other although at a certain point towards the east end roads are no longer paved. by renting bikes you really get to see the whole island and since there is such nice snorkeling we took along snorkeled and stopped to snorkel at any place that looked descent. there are plenty of other activities on the island you can rent horses, theres a nice looking iguana farm and much more, personally i would rather do diving.

Friday morning we headed back to the boat to get back to san pedro for shabbos, when we got off the boat in La ceiba, we met a couple backpackers who told us that there was another much cheaper bus back to san pedro, it was much cheaper we paid $4 instead of $25 although it wasnt as nice and didn't have A/C had a much more local flavor. Back in san pedro we were staying in the Intercontinetal on Point breaks nights but the shul had told us it was do dangerous to walk and to stay closer, luckily we found a choice hotel BRG right around the corner. the shul was only open fri night and although they said they started at 7 they only showed up at 8. The shul had just a minyan including us, everyone was very nice and welcoming. the davening was more traditional (most of the minyan had their phones out). after davening there was kidish and motzie made, and everyone went home. Slept in the clarion fri night, shabbos morning we walked back to the intercontinental ( 10 min walk) as we ddnt want to stay there all shabbos.

Bottom line if I were to go back I would try to go strait to roatan or even fly strait there, san pedro although was quite an experience had nothing to do. Kosher food wise there is absolutely nothing we were prepared and brought all food with us and bought fruit as much as we could.

Links:
Heres the hotel we stayed at in Roatan
Iguana farm in roatan

beach right across from hotel in roatan

main street west end roatan

Pcture out of but window in route san pedro - la ceiba

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
Anyone have experience with bringing kosher food in (Roatan, specifically)? There are no official published rules posted anywhere, and hardly any discussion online. The little bit of information I've found that talk about food and customs (not specifically kosher even) all contradict each other.

So other than "it's the luck of the draw", does anyone have any insight or personal experience to share?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »
Anyone have experience with bringing kosher food in (Roatan, specifically)? There are no official published rules posted anywhere, and hardly any discussion online. The little bit of information I've found that talk about food and customs (not specifically kosher even) all contradict each other.

So other than "it's the luck of the draw", does anyone have any insight or personal experience to share?

Flew into Roatan and the agent never even looked at his x-ray monitor. Had no issues whatsoever b"h.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 03:52:43 AM »
Flew into Roatan and the agent never even looked at his x-ray monitor. Had no issues whatsoever b"h.

They usually don't care if you bring frozen meat, cheese, etc. One can see coolers on the luggage belts. When you fly out, they do search your carry-on though.  If a hungry looking customs official confiscates your T-bone steaks, simply ask to borrow a lighter and let him know you would like to grill and eat that steak on the spot.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 11:06:39 PM »
Avianca has Honduras on sale from LAX, JFK and possibly other cities to SAP, TGU under $200 RT, September through January.