Author Topic: 19 and needs to rent a car...  (Read 4220 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 19 and needs to rent a car...
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »
update: i called dollar rent a car and they said with chabad corp code the under age fee is waived the rep told me even for 18-21 not only the regular 21-25... so i dont know why anyone would use usaa? unless im missing something here?...
1st i'm hearing about this under 21...

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
update: i called dollar rent a car and they said with chabad corp code the under age fee is waived the rep told me even for 18-21 not only the regular 21-25
i dont think they knew what they were talking about although it would be  great if it does work, many people tried it and were charged for underage.

so i dont know why anyone would use usaa? unless im missing something here?...
IME hertz USAA is always cheaper then dollar but can be sometimes the other way around.
besides i personally like hertz better for the points, status and many more locations then the others

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
i dont think they knew what they were talking about although it would be  great if it does work, many people tried it and were charged for underage.
IME hertz USAA is always cheaper then dollar but can be sometimes the other way around.
besides i personally like hertz better for the points, status and many more locations then the others
+1 & +1
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
1st i'm hearing about this under 21...
+1 big news if it's true. Please report back.

@OP, there's no such thing as higher priced insurance for rental cars. It is a all a flat rate.

They do have an underage surcharge, but this isn't 'more expensive insurance'.

The big companies won't rent at all to people under 21, witht the exception of NY state and MI, where stats law requires them to rent to anyone over 18. They do impose a hefty surcharge, the least of which is $40/day at hertz (national is $80/day).

USAA bank has an agreement with hertz, so their clients can rent anywhere in the US if they are 18+, with no surcharges.

OT, but how do companies legally bar 18-21 from renting certain car classes in NY/MI?
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline why

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
@plat

@OP, there's no such thing as higher priced insurance for rental cars. It is a all a flat rate.

They do have an underage surcharge, but this isn't 'more expensive insurance'.

The big companies won't rent at all to people under 21, witht the exception of NY state and MI, where stats law requires them to rent to anyone over 18. They do impose a hefty surcharge, the least of which is $40/day at hertz (national is $80/day).

USAA bank has an agreement with hertz, so their clients can rent anywhere in the US if they are 18+, with no surcharges.

OT, but how do companies legally bar 18-21 from renting certain car classes in NY/MI?
and dollars fee for 18 is 70 but its removed with the chabad corp...

Offline SGF

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »
its not true and even if the let him rent it will be a 1 time exeption.

OT, but how do companies legally ban 18-21 from renting certain car classes in NY/MI?
the same way they can charge a hefty underage fee.
if you read up about it and find out theres a way to bypass it let us know   

Offline SGF

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
@plat and dollars fee for 18 is 70 but its removed with the chabad corp...
then it must be fairly new.
have them give it to you in writing

Offline why

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 11:33:39 PM »
this in the local polices section on dollars website:   "Important Local Policy Information
New York City - Manhattan West 52nd Street

Driving Restriction: Driving is restricted to the continental United States and Canada.
    Gasoline Policy: Return the vehicle with a full tank of gas to avoid refueling charges.
    Renter Qualifications: A valid driver’s license in the customer's own name must be presented at the time of pick up. Minimum age is 18 on most vehicles; please see Special Vehicle Requirements below. Renters under 25 may be subject to an additional fee. Driver age categories and associated fees as follows: Drivers 18 to 20 years - $72.99 per day, drivers 21 to 24 years - $35.00 per day. Any drivers that are within these categories are required to pay that specific per day charge" and according to the rep on the phone with this chabad corp code:CC0196 the fee is waived... :/