Author Topic: Oz Trip Report (w/ a splash of Abu Dhabi)  (Read 64492 times)

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Oz Trip Report (w/ a splash of Abu Dhabi)
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:41 AM »
Gearing up for the next adventure...

Sooo...back yet?  :)
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2013, 02:11:40 AM »
At the end of the tour, the ranger started going in to the religious aspects of the rock, and how it’s sacred to the Aborigines. Although technically it’s permitted to climb to the top, they strongly discourage it due to the religious sensitivity. This made for quite a lively discussion. Personally, I absolutely would have climbed, had I had the time.

It is interesting that the hike to the top was even open. When I was there they closed it due to the winds, and I have a friend who was there a different time and said it was closed as well.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
Sooo...back yet?  :)
yup, hit up new zealand for 18 days then a 2 day stop in seoul, awesome trip...

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #163 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:54 AM »

Welcome back! I was wondering where you disappeared to - I didn't have anyone to fight with... :P

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline moish

• View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Wow, TR please!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
Wow, TR please!
That should be some TR. 20 days. Nice!

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
Definitely deserves its own topic  , btw welcome back

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2013, 05:40:01 AM »
Wow, TR please!
gotta finish up this one first...

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Disclaimer: before I post the final installment, I want to reiterate that the primary reason for writing the tr is for myself, and as such, you might find that there is tmi.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
Part 9: Queensland – Cairns, Kuranda & Green Island

No trip to Australia is complete without a visit to Queensland. With the Great Barrier Reef, Kuranda, the Daintree rainforest etc. there’s plenty to see and do. There are basically 2 ways to “do” Queensland. There’s the Whitsunday Islands, with its beautiful beaches and its own airport, or the Cairns/Port Douglas way which is what I chose. Although I tried to work it out to be able to experience both, it was too difficult logistically to make it happen. 

I had been tracking the Queensland weather throughout the trip, and pretty much the whole time I was Australia until I got to QLD, the weather was terrible with storms galore. I spoke to someone at Ayers Rock who had just come from Queensland who told me it was so bad he didn’t attempt to go to the GBR, as during storms, the sand kicks up resulting in limited visibility. But B”H, the weather cleared up as soon as we arrived, providing a wonderful experience.

After arriving at Cairns (pronounced ‘cans’) airport, we took a taxi to the Hilton Cairns. As the hotel was pretty full, I wasn’t able to get a suite upgrade as a diamond for the first night, but they upgraded us for the second night to a beautiful suite and moved our bags. As a diamond, I received free wifi as well as access to a pretty good lounge with fruit, kosher cereal boxes and juice/soft drinks/beer. They even provided us doggy bags in the evening to take breakfast for the following day.

the regular room

the suite

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
One gripe, however, is that the hallways to the rooms are open to the elements, and with the tropical climate in Queensland, there are many bugs. When opening the door to your room, you gotta be careful not to let any cockroaches in with you.

(Cairns has millions of bats, and around dusk time, they leave the trees they were sleeping in fly to find food. Being on the top floor of the Hilton was cool as the bats were literally flying a few feet from us.)

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
For our first day, we decided to visit the city of Kuranda. The best way to get there is by getting the skyrail/scenic train combo which I booked ahead of time with hotel transfer. The skyrail itself affords beautiful sweeping views of Cairns and the surrounding areas.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
It consists of 3 different lines up, and at each of the 2 platforms, you can either get on the next one going up or take a short (sometimes guided) rainforest walk around, which we did. On one of the short walks, we encountered the enormous and dangerous Golden Orb spider which is as big as a human hand. One bite from her will put you in the hospital for a week, so don’t get too close! (for more on the golden orb, see here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134836/Arachnophobic-Then-dont-watch-incredible-footage-spider-eats-snakes-breakfast.html)

the Golden Orb extricates a leaf from her web

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »
After arriving in Kuranda, we took the shuttle bus to the Rainforestation Nature Park which is a bit out of the city center. Once there, we watched an Aborigine demonstration, where they demonstrate the art of spear throwing, teach you how to throw a boomerang, and play the didgeridoo, mimicking the sounds of various animals. Thanks to ddf member Asherbarkin, I was able to understand what he was talking about when explaining the ‘cycle breathing’ technique necessary to blow for a long time without pausing.

During the didgeridoo show, as is the case every time we encounter an Asian tourist group, they just go gaga over western babies/children and were taking pictures of/posing with my kids. Makes me laugh every time. So far that’s happened obviously in China, but also in Rome, Dubai and Seoul, to name a few.

After the demonstrations, they performed a traditional cultural dance.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
Rainforestation has a few more sections which include a duck boat tour which is supposed to be interesting, but due to the heavy rains prior to arrival, those tours weren’t running (Ditto with the Kuranda River Cruises located near the train station). There’s another area where you can pay to have your picture taken while holding a koala which we did. Queensland is one of the few remaining states in Australia that actually allows you to hold one. NSW and Victoria do not, so you can’t hold one in either Sydney or Melbourne. And yes, koalas are as cuddly and soft as they look. It’s worthwhile to note that at this location they did not allow pictures with personal cameras.

There’s also a kangaroo feeding/petting area where you can purchase food and feed them, but although the kangaroos were jumping around, we decided to catch the shuttle back to town since they run on the hour, skipping the lunch hour, so we would have been stuck for too long. Besides, there was a similar type place in the center of town where we could do the same.

Back in town, we made our way to the Butterfly Sanctuary. The main reason to go was to see the electric blue Ulysses butterfly that’s native to the region. As it turns out, we saw them in the wild as well so it was kind of a waste to go, but the kids really enjoyed going into the aviary and having hundreds of butterflies flying around.

Our next stop was the Koala Gardens where we bought some food to feed the roaming kangaroos. However, unlike the ones at Rainforestation, the ones here were all just lazing around and not interested in our food. They also have a small zoo, plus you can hold koalas here as well. But unlike before, they allow you to take pictures with your personal camera. So if I had to do it over again, I would have done the opposite; fed the ‘roos at Rainforestation, and held the koala at the Koala Gardens.

lazy 'roos

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »
We then headed to the Kuranda Scenic Railway for the trip back to Cairns. As its name suggests, this was a very scenic ride back and well worth it. For the best views, be sure to book a seat on the left side heading to Cairns (right side if taking to Kuranda) and obviously make sure to get a window seat, not an aisle.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
The next day we daytripped to Green Island. It’s basically a small island with beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. There are two operators that run ferries out there but I forgot which one we used. Either way, the ferry station was walking distance from the Hilton. There is actually a hotel on the island which is supposed to be a great experience as when all the daytrippers leave, it feels as if you’re alone on the island. I actually toyed with the idea of staying overnight, but in the end I chose not to, as it would take away too much from the next day.

Included in the cost of the ferry is a free glass bottom boat ride with various departure times. Initially I was bummed that by the time they got to us to make a reservation, the ride leaving as soon as the ferry arrived was sold out. But that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the water was very choppy on the ferry ride and my wife got nauseous, so it was good to get a few minutes rest, and explore the island with its rainforest, before the glass bottom boat ride.

The ride itself was nice; we got to see some coral and fish, especially when the captain threw some food out. He also was on the lookout for turtles and would scream out the word turtle in Japanese to the delight of the mostly Japanese tourists.

turtle!

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
After the glass bottom boat, we went to the Marineland Melanesia to see the crocs. It is home to the largest croc in captivity, at 5.5 meters.

We got there in time for the croc feeding where we were able to witness up close the tremendous power of the saltwater croc. After that we took pictures holding a small one (with mouth taped shut) and after feeling the underbelly of it, it’s pretty understandable why crocodile leather is so expensive. So smoooth…