Author Topic: Blackberry Q10  (Read 68287 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Blackberry 10 Unveiled
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
Wow, just wow.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/28/rim-3/?hpt=hp_t2
As a fan of my BB bold and someone who has said that they will stand by bb until i am forced out yesterdays news was as bad as it gets.  The layoffs and poor quarter isnt the issue, its the delay of the BB 10 phones.  I just dont see how BB is going to survive long enough for BB 10 to save them if it is even good enough to do that.  I think if BB 10 is a very good OS and they have strong phones it will still take a couple quarters to get ppl back on board so we are now talking about 6 losing quarters in a row.  Tough to survive that.  Their only chance was to launch in the Fall but if the OS wouldnt have been ready that would have failed too so I think they were in a lose lose situation. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
Doesn't matter how good BB 10 is.
Web OS was an excellent OS, it was just too late to save Palm which was then sold to HP and later shut down.  Ditto for BB, expect the same scenario play out as it did for Palm.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:02:27 AM »
Doesn't matter how good BB 10 is.
Web OS was an excellent OS, it was just too late to save Palm which was then sold to HP and later shut down.  Ditto for BB, expect the same scenario play out as it did for Palm.
I know you were a Palm enthusiast but I think the two are different.  BB has/had a committed strong user base and fills a need in the phone world.  Palm's were never as big as BB and competed more directly with the iphone in terms of purpose.  The OS may have been excellent (I dont remember it being talked about as being so great and the phones were not that great IMO) but there wasnt room for it in the market.  I dont think BB stood a chance at becoming the top or even 2nd in the mobile world but I think it had a shot of staying as a strong 3rd. 
Alas, this discussion is moot as the delay killed any shot it ever had. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:52 AM »
Palm's were never as big as BB 
Lol...
Palm was the biggest in the smartphone market from its inception in 2000 or so until 2007 when RIM overtook it and Palm suffered a rapid decent due to complete lack of innovation of its OS.
RIM has been suffering that same rapid decent over the past 2 years and there's no saving that ship now.  There's no way they survive as a stand-alone company, though BBM may be purchased by Apple or Google.

Offline outinstyle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
Yesterday there were a few stories written in the business media about how Prem Watsa of Fairfax Financial, nearly doubled its stake in RIM.  Regulatory filings show that Fairfax is now a 9.9% shareholder in RIM, up from the mid 5% level previously.

For those who don't know, Watsa also sits on the RIM board of directors.  He joined the board in January of this year.  He's been called "Warren Buffet of the North", and he has quite the reputation for making brilliant market calls such as selling equities in advance of the 1987 crash, and buying credit default swaps on bonds prior to the subprime disaster of 2008.   

Given that this guy already took a large stake in RIM when he joined the board, one has to wonder what he knows about RIM's plans in order to justify his return to the trading desk to double down on the stock.  As a board member, he is privy to plenty of insider information.  When insiders buy, it is usually viewed as a bullish sign to outsiders..............................................

http://crackberry.com/does-prem-watsa-know-something-we-don%E2%80%99t-about-future-rim

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
I'm a RIM diehard and even I don't buy it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »
Asher,
Don't destroy my last glimpse of hope...   :'(

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »
Asher,
Don't destroy my last glimpse of hope...   :'(

There are still a lot of holdouts here. Springles, SF, BISPRO etc.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I had enough pain switching from NEXTEL to BB a hundred years ago. It was very painful. I’m not ready to move from BB yet. Add me to the list of procrastinators/holdouts/optimistics. I will wait for the BB10 before jumping ship.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
There are still a lot of holdouts here. Springles, SF, BISPRO etc.
Yup! I am going down with the ship.

As far as this move, its more of a market maneuver then a comment on the company. Watsa has now cut his average cost per share in half (or so) and gave a slight bump to the current stock price.  I wouldnt read too much into it. He did this in January too and it didnt mean that much then.
Although the company shouldnt ever be worth any less then its at right now (just in terms of it's patent portfolio) and has potential if somehow they figure out a way to survive long enough for BB10 to save them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:50:48 AM by springles »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »
I'm a RIM diehard and even I don't buy it.

You may not buy it, but the points raised are rather compelling.

And by compelling, I mean for an investment in RIM, not that RIM is going to necessarily be able to right the ship.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
You may not buy it, but the points raised are rather compelling.

And by compelling, I mean for an investment in RIM, not that RIM is going to necessarily be able to right the ship.

Compelling, but risky. I'd say RIM will definitely be volatile, but the billion dollar question is where their stock price will be in 12-months (if they won't be scrapped by then...)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
But, you see, therein lies the rub.

Even if RIM doesn't exist in 12 months, it doesn't make an investment in RIM necessarily a bad idea...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »

Even if RIM doesn't exist in 12 months, it doesn't make an investment in RIM necessarily a bad idea...

I agree, as long as whoever is investing is aware of the risks.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
I agree, as long as whoever is investing is aware of the risks.

Anybody who is not aware of the risks attendant to investing in RIM should not be investing at all.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
Anybody who is not aware of the risks attendant to investing in RIM should not be investing at all.

I follow RIM pretty closely, so I'm more attuned to the risks than your average investor who's going to put in a few hours of research.

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »

I agree, an investment in Rimm at its current price is not any more risky than most buys.  Even if you assume that it will not survive more than another year.  The patent portfolio and value of the company even if BB 10 fails should be around $10 a share, and the potential is even greater if BB 10 is good.  The risk is in whether a company like Rimm will actually get sold for its value when its got no where to turn.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
I agree, an investment in Rimm at its current price is not any more risky than most buys.  Even if you assume that it will not survive more than another year.  The patent portfolio and value of the company even if BB 10 fails should be around $10 a share, and the potential is even greater if BB 10 is good.  The risk is in whether a company like Rimm will actually get sold for its value when its got no where to turn.

Could be palm all over again

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
Could be palm all over again
even palm was sold at almost $6 a share, if thats the risk then at $7 rimm is really not as risky as many people think.  Personally I think that rimm would sell for more than palm did even if there is no good news over the next year.