Author Topic: Best skiing and deals out there  (Read 11341 times)

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best skiing and deals out there
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
Lots of yidden in killington this week. I was there sun-mon and we had 70 ppl for shacaris all crammed into the coordinators condo it was quite funny.

Great conditions they were making snow as well as lots of natural snow from a storm earlier. Very cold

So much fun! Thank you Roy!
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline FJA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2022, 08:24:14 PM »
Do you know if they are having the trip again at Killington this year during winter break with minyan, etc? Anyone have contact info for the organizer? Any other groups going to VT during yeshiva week?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2022, 08:50:19 PM »
Do you know if they are having the trip again at Killington this year during winter break with minyan, etc? Anyone have contact info for the organizer? Any other groups going to VT during yeshiva week?

See upthread, you’re looking for snomazel
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »
Snomazel wasn't able to get the rates at Killington that he's gotten for years, so he's not organizing the usual program. There is someone else who got a discount code (I believe 20%) valid for the last 2 weeks of January, so I assume there will be frum skiers there, but not the same organized program as in past years.

Offline FJA

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »
Is anyone aware of a trip to any Vermont ski resorts during the last week of January with a minyan?

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2023, 04:26:43 PM »
Where would I go (in the tristate area) to buy half-decent set of used downhill skis/boots/poles, including potentially old-rentals, (for intermediate skiers, who ski 1-3 days a year), (ideally with a chance to try those on, as opposed to online)?

And how much would those cost? (They look to be $200-$300 on ebay, for adult sizes).

P.s. If you are looking for inexpensive skiing/rental. Shawnee mountain in the Poconos has (1) 3 tickets for $168 or (2) 3 tickets-with-equipment-rentals for $263.
These can be shared within a family. But must be used in the 2023/2024 season. Offer expires Dec 15.
It's not Vermont or Colorado but you'd be hard pressed to find better pricing.
https://www.shawneemt.com/tickets-rentals/maxi-misers/
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 04:32:45 PM by David61 »

Online Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2023, 06:02:42 PM »
Where would I go (in the tristate area) to buy half-decent set of used downhill skis/boots/poles, including potentially old-rentals, (for intermediate skiers, who ski 1-3 days a year), (ideally with a chance to try those on, as opposed to online)?

And how much would those cost? (They look to be $200-$300 on ebay, for adult sizes).

P.s. If you are looking for inexpensive skiing/rental. Shawnee mountain in the Poconos has (1) 3 tickets for $168 or (2) 3 tickets-with-equipment-rentals for $263.
These can be shared within a family. But must be used in the 2023/2024 season. Offer expires Dec 15.
Actually, it's quite easy to find better pricing. Montage mountain, Monday-Wednesday, $40 including rental and lift ticket. Could be you need to get there by 3.

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2023, 06:33:14 PM »
Actually, it's quite easy to find better pricing. Montage mountain, Monday-Wednesday, $40 including rental and lift ticket. Could be you need to get there by 3.

Thanks! That's a great deal, albeit an hour further north.

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2023, 12:00:48 PM »

bump

Offline SimonBawlsSki

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »

I like this guy nick in Shrewsbury NJ (not far from deal) you can get used boots there at great prices $60-$120
I feel like the used skis they sell there are a bit overpriced and I bought a new pair online for the same price
In general you should try ski boots on before you buy them however there's no need to buy skis in-store
Ski Spot in Shrewsbury 732-747-0585

As far as cheap resorts go belleayre is about 1 hour 20 min from Monsey and a great resort for beginners to experts for 1 or 2 consecutive days
Lift tickets are cheapest starting 3 days in advance and usually go up about 10 dollars a day
There are never lines compared to hunter which is packed on Sundays
In addition they just got $30mm of funding from nys and build an indoor gondola which no other local resorts have also they blow snow freely due to unlimited funds as aposed to all other mountains that just care about the $$
I skied 5 days at belleayre and 4 days at hunter last season belleayre won by far in price, open terrain, snow conditions, lines
Enjoy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 10:51:11 PM by SimonBawlsSki »

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2023, 12:12:30 AM »

I like this guy nick in Shrewsbury NJ (not far from deal) you can get used boots there at great prices $60-$120
I feel like the used skis they sell there are a bit overpriced and I bought a new pair online for the same price
In general you should try ski boots on before you buy them however there's no need to buy skis in-store
Ski Spot in Shrewsbury 732-747-0585

As far as cheap resorts go belleayre is about 1 hour 20 min from Monsey and a great resort for beginners to experts for 1 or 2 consecutive days
Lift tickets are cheapest starting 3 days in advance and usually go up about 10 dollars a day
There are never lines compared to hunter which is packed on Sundays
In addition they just got $30mm of funding from nys and build an indoor gondola which no other local resorts have also they blow snow freely due to unlimited funds as aposed to all other mountains that just care about the $$
I skied 5 days at belleayre and 4 days at hunter last season belleayre won by far in price, open terrain, snow conditions, lines
Enjoy

Thanks for the recommendation on the ski equipment shop!

Belleayre is a bigger mountain with longer runs than Shawnee, priced about the same (with adults tickets starting at $57).
It looks like a good value, though it's also about 40-60 minutes farther than Shawnee, and doesn't offer night-skiing (like Montage and most larger mountains). Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:06:31 AM by David61 »

Offline mal

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »
Any idea if there is a minyan over Chanuka near Belleayre?

Offline SimonBawlsSki

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2023, 10:51:43 PM »
Any idea if there is a minyan over Chanuka near Belleayre?

I skied belleayre last chanuka stayed at holiday inn near Kingston davened shacharis 8am in Kingston it was a agudas achim that merged with chabad if I remember correctly
This is the number I called: 845-331-1176
Also belleayre is 40 minutes from woodbourne via state rt 42 the navigation will always show longer however I did the drive a few times and the most it took me was 50 minutes in the snow
However Kingston is conveniently right of the nys thruway exit 19
I guess it depends where you coming from

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2024, 02:06:16 AM »
Snomazel wasn't able to get the rates at Killington that he's gotten for years, so he's not organizing the usual program. There is someone else who got a discount code (I believe 20%) valid for the last 2 weeks of January, so I assume there will be frum skiers there, but not the same organized program as in past years.
bumping this as this discount is a available again this year. And trying to drum up some action in killington for the week of Jan 21-30 who has a Sefer Torah they can bring :)  ?
Join for discount https://chat.whatsapp.com/CXSPdItqK751gOIn7WivFe
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline emineh17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2024, 11:42:45 AM »
Any minyanim in Vermont for midwinter Shabbos (Jan 27th)?

I have a few families that would join but we don't have enough for minyan.

Looking at the Okemo or Killington areas.

Online berny32

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2024, 05:09:02 PM »
As you probably know, skiing in Colorado or Utah costs a fortune, with lift tickets alone often running over $200/day.
Last week we went to the Arizona Snowbowl and it was absolutely awesome. Its about 20 minutes north of Flagstaff, AZ (2.5 hours from Phoenix airport). It has plenty of beginner, intermediate, and expert terrain, and the snow is awesome (over 260 inches of natural snow annually, we caught it after a 15" storm a few days earlier).
For midweek adult lift tickets + rentals we paid $85 total per day! We booked a few weeks in advance and brought our own helmets (saving about $16 each on those). The rentals were very good quality equipment. There are plenty of affordable hotels in Flagstaff. Just make sure to rent a 4 wheel drive SUV in PHX as the roads in Flag and heading to the mountain can be icy and often aren't well plowed. Airfare from NY to PHX is always pretty cheap, as are car rentals.
On the way from PHX you can stop in Sedona for a day of hiking and stunning views, the ride from Sedona to Flagstaff is only 45 minutes with stunning scenery all the way. After skiing you can drive another 1.5 hours north to the Grand Canyon which is gorgeous in winter (and no crowds, and very cheap in park accommodations). Grand Canyon back to PHX is about 3:45 hrs.
I don't know of a better skiing bang for your buck. Considering they're the only real skiing in the state, I'm not sure why they don't charge a lot more but I'm not complaining.