Topic Wiki

Trip Reports
Yordai Dooma, leis4794, shoobi, dpk4588, AtallD, Joel, itreu001, Moshe26,

Map of Kosher SD (eruv information: http://www.adatyeshurun.org/eruv)

Things to do:
Sea World             number 1 attraction
San Diego Zoo Safari Park (Formerly known as Wild Animal Park)
Petco Park (SD Padres)
Mission Brewery (5 minute walk to Petco Park)
La Jolla Cove (beach with seals, nice boardwalk)
La Jolla cove kayaking
Legoland
Carlsbad Shopping Outlets
Biking around Coronado
SD 59 mile scenic drive
torrey pines state reserve (hike and quiet beach)
gaslamp quarter
Balboa Park
mission beach bike rental
Go Car Tours Drive go karts around the city)  http://www.gocartours.com/sandiego.html
Jet skiing http://www.sdbayadventures.com/
USS Midway
http://www.seasthedaysandiego.com/

Tijuana Mexico is very close but nothing much to see there unless you would like to see what Mexico looks like.
(could be long lines to enter back to us)

Kosher food:

Moishes Grill in the Beth Jacob Shul
Sun-Wed 5-9pm flayshig (Summer Months only)
Thursday night is pizza
Cash and check only
Check in advance if open: https://www.facebook.com/MoishesGrill/

Menchies frozen yogurt (not CY)

Orly's Cafe and Bakery [CLOSED]
14791 Pomerado Rd
Poway, California
https://www.facebook.com/orlyscafeandbakery/
858-391-9111
Menu: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/12697383_1753375438223954_1016627340705562680_o.jpg
Mon-Thu:    10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sun:    10:00 am - 7:00 pm
Home made pizzas, bakery goods, bagels, sandwiches, soups and salads. Cholov Yisroel under the supervision of Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein of Chabad of Poway

The Place Catering
Shabbat Meals, Delivery Only.
10785 Pomerado Rd
San Diego, CA 92131
(858) 549-7000
(858) 549-7010 FAX
(619) 254-4420 CELL
catering@sandiegokosher.com
http://www.sandiegokosher.com

North Park Produce [Just Grocery, No Longer Kosher Prepared Food]
Produce, Butcher, Grocery
4220 Balboa Ave.
San Diego, CA 92117
Tel: 858.810.8228

The “PLACE” at JCC
4126 Executive Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
858-362-1353
Menu: http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/CrvqMuUehVaDG7UM-lRZgg/o.jpg

Catering by Charles Rubin
Delivery Available
(619) 583-1636
(619) 583-1635 FAX
http://www.shmoozers.com

Ralphs Kosher Experience
Takeout, Baked Goods, Pizza (now available Saturday night)
8657 Villa La Jolla Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858)-597-1550

Lang’s Bakery (Wholesale Only)
5490 Complex St #601
San Diego, CA 92123
(858) 496-LANGS (5264)
(858) 565-6691 FAX

LiquidKosher.com
High End Wine delivery to hotels
619-663-9613
sales@liquidkosher.com

Ralph’s & Albertsons Downtown
Check out the kosher aisle and aisle 11 for a small selection of kosher products.
« Last edited by Joel on January 01, 2023, 07:16:09 AM »

Author Topic: San Diego Master Thread  (Read 357683 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: January 22, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
You know that the prices what you listed are not to compare..... 12K points VS $400
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
You know that the prices what you listed are not to compare..... 12K points VS $400
I think its 24k vs $440
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Rose101

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 22, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
Thanks Guys! I know i can save 440 bucks with choosing the US Grant. My question is if any of you have been to the 2 hotels??

Offline california

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:42 AM »
I was staying at the Hyatt regency but went to look at paradise point (half minute drive) if I would know b4 what it is I would of stayed at paradise point, its a gorgeous resort, BTW on room77.com u could have a night at paradise point for 164 including taxes!!

Offline LA2NYC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »
Free SeaWorld ticket for 3-5 yr old

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=37705

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
From amazon local
Two-Night Iconic Beachfront Getaway at Hotel del Coronado or Beach Village at the Del
Hotel del Coronado
1500 Orange Ave, Coronado
From
$1025
While is (very) expensive, it is supposed to be an iconic hotel (people pay to tour the hotel)
http://local.amazon.com/national/B00HNCXVYA?src=email&cid=em_dd_001_101_na_s1_&ref_=pe_628140_112236250_fd
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline eskay

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 25, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »
The Grille has great food and the prices are really good! The hot sandwich with grilled chicken and onions on Chiabatta bread was awesome and crispy sweet potatoe fries too.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #467 on: January 25, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Anyone know if the San Diego Andaz offers a Kosher breakfast?

Offline dhalpern1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
« Reply #468 on: January 26, 2014, 12:51:46 AM »
Just searched through kayak and the Catamaran Resort is 39/night from May 23-26. Other sites (hotels.com etc) have it for 288/night. Seems like a price mistake.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #469 on: January 26, 2014, 01:25:29 AM »
Just searched through kayak and the Catamaran Resort is 39/night from May 23-26. Other sites (hotels.com etc) have it for 288/night. Seems like a price mistake.
Odd that a day earlier or later and the price goes up.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline metziah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 26, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »

Thanks Guys! I know i can save 440 bucks with choosing the US Grant. My question is if any of you have been to the 2 hotels??
I've been to the US GRANT. It's a really beautiful hotel. The service is very upscale. The only downside is that it's downtown(not on the water).

Offline leis4794

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:07 AM »
Just came back from a 2 day/1 night budget trip to San Diego (1/26-27). Here is some info I think others can benefit from:

Stayed: I redeemed one of my Chase Hyatt free night awards (Thanks Dan) and we stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in downtown San Diego.  The place is beautiful. As a Platinum member, Shawn at the front desk upgraded us to a nice corner room on the 28th floor with excellent views of downtown and the harbor. The hotel itself is located in downtown, about a 20 drive from Sea world but only about 5 min from the San Diego Zoo. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel there is not much going on in terms of attractions, except Petco park (The Padre's) and the Gaslamp district. To be honest, there is not much to see there.

Chabad in Downtown (About a 10 min walk from the hotel) has a nice minyan for Shachris at 7:30, and although we were one short until about 8, the guys called a few people and made sure to get a minyan together. Only at Chabad...

Activities: As I wrote, this was a budget trip, so we did not do any of the big attractions like Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, LegoLand or any of the other must do's. Those will wait till next time. On the way down from LA, we visited the beach at Del Mar, where there is a nice little town to walk thru and a nice park overlooking the water for the kids to play. About 5 minutes from the hotel, there is Balboa Park (The Zoo is located in the park) which is a really big park with many museums, walking trails, gardens, and overall a nice place to enjoy the weather here. There is also a free trolley which runs thru most of the park, so you can pretty much park in any lot and get around that way too. We visited the Children's Pool and the cove at La Jolla (about 20 minutes from the hotel), where you can see the special sight of sea lions and seals relaxing on the beach. It is really amazing. There is also a nice walking trial along the coast and a cave trail located about a 10 minute walk north of the children's pool. There is also a nice little village here to simply walk thru and relax, while checking out the boutiques and enjoying the weather.

Food: Ralphs in downtown has very little kosher food, basically Manishewitz Geffilta fish in jars and some Osem crackers, but not much else. We ate dinner at the Grille, about 20 minutes from the hotel, and it was very well priced and decent food. There is also a small market there with cheeses and some meat items, including the full line of Jacks Gourmet Sauseges. They are open from 11 to 8 and serve breakfast (coffee and some baked goods), lunch and dinner.
The Ralphs in La Jolla (20 minutes from hotel) is very well stocked with kosher Pas/Cholov Yisroel food; Cheeses, fresh breads, rolls and cakes, sushi, soups, take out and two full isles of kosher crackers, snacks, candies etc. This Kosher Experience is even bigger than the one in LA.

That's my brief trip report, feel free to ask any questions, if I can be of any help.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2014, 12:21:28 AM »
http://www.sealtours.com/

Very nice tour. Its a bus turning in to a boat!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2014, 06:36:45 AM »
Just came back from a 2 day/1 night budget trip to San Diego (1/26-27). Here is some info I think others can benefit from:

Stayed: I redeemed one of my Chase Hyatt free night awards (Thanks Dan) and we stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in downtown San Diego.  The place is beautiful. As a Platinum member, Shawn at the front desk upgraded us to a nice corner room on the 28th floor with excellent views of downtown and the harbor. The hotel itself is located in downtown, about a 20 drive from Sea world but only about 5 min from the San Diego Zoo. In the immediate vicinity of the hotel there is not much going on in terms of attractions, except Petco park (The Padre's) and the Gaslamp district. To be honest, there is not much to see there.

Chabad in Downtown (About a 10 min walk from the hotel) has a nice minyan for Shachris at 7:30, and although we were one short until about 8, the guys called a few people and made sure to get a minyan together. Only at Chabad...

Activities: As I wrote, this was a budget trip, so we did not do any of the big attractions like Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, LegoLand or any of the other must do's. Those will wait till next time. On the way down from LA, we visited the beach at Del Mar, where there is a nice little town to walk thru and a nice park overlooking the water for the kids to play. About 5 minutes from the hotel, there is Balboa Park (The Zoo is located in the park) which is a really big park with many museums, walking trails, gardens, and overall a nice place to enjoy the weather here. There is also a free trolley which runs thru most of the park, so you can pretty much park in any lot and get around that way too. We visited the Children's Pool and the cove at La Jolla (about 20 minutes from the hotel), where you can see the special sight of sea lions and seals relaxing on the beach. It is really amazing. There is also a nice walking trial along the coast and a cave trail located about a 10 minute walk north of the children's pool. There is also a nice little village here to simply walk thru and relax, while checking out the boutiques and enjoying the weather.

Food: Ralphs in downtown has very little kosher food, basically Manishewitz Geffilta fish in jars and some Osem crackers, but not much else. We ate dinner at the Grille, about 20 minutes from the hotel, and it was very well priced and decent food. There is also a small market there with cheeses and some meat items, including the full line of Jacks Gourmet Sauseges. They are open from 11 to 8 and serve breakfast (coffee and some baked goods), lunch and dinner.
The Ralphs in La Jolla (20 minutes from hotel) is very well stocked with kosher Pas/Cholov Yisroel food; Cheeses, fresh breads, rolls and cakes, sushi, soups, take out and two full isles of kosher crackers, snacks, candies etc. This Kosher Experience is even bigger than the one in LA.

That's my brief trip report, feel free to ask any questions, if I can be of any help.

Did u actually see Seals and sea lions at childrens pool?

Offline blue eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 28, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »
Has anyone  crossed the border to Mexico recently? it seems like an exotic idea but want to hear more details regarding safety and what there is to do..
Any advice on the safari and zoo? is it worth it just for the basic pass ( seems like just about anything there they charge extra...) and where can I buy cheap tickets?

Offline madopo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Depending on the day/ weather. But in general,Yes.

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
starting my SD map, will do this one slowly over the next couple months as I look at things

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z_h80BCOvmO8.kU9aX4T0ci0k

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 04, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
starting my SD map, will do this one slowly over the next couple months as I look at things

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z_h80BCOvmO8.kU9aX4T0ci0k
sorry, realized that I didnt have sharing open for others, now i do.  if you have anything to add please let me know.  This is very much a work in progress.
Thanks!

Offline DoGo

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
Has anyone  crossed the border to Mexico recently? it seems like an exotic idea but want to hear more details regarding safety and what there is to do..
Any advice on the safari and zoo? is it worth it just for the basic pass ( seems like just about anything there they charge extra...) and where can I buy cheap tickets?
takes a long time. did not do it.
craigslist

Offline leis4794

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 04, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »

Sure did.