Topic Wiki

A very useful app loungebuddy.com

http://www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/Main_Page

Lounges with Kosher food: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=10590.0
« Last edited by Novo on August 19, 2014, 09:29:58 PM »

Author Topic: Airport Lounges  (Read 600321 times)

Offline yossik

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Airport Lounges
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
What's the best way to get into airport lounges? 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:56:48 PM by Something Fishy »

levi

Re: airport lounges
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
in my opinion i would say the cheapest way is by getting a additional card on the amex platinum

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:16 PM »
in my opinion i would say the cheapest way is by getting a additional card on the amex platinum
Doesnt that card have a high annual fee if you didnt get Dans deal last year?
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

levi

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
Doesnt that card have a high annual fee if you didnt get Dans deal last year?
Yes, thats why i said try getting an additional card meaning like becoming a secondary card holder and you still recieve all the benefite

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:41:36 AM »
I called them up once, and this lady said she'd been working there for 7 years and that there was never a promotion for that card. How often are there promos for that specific card?
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:44 AM »
you dont need any promos  i recommend doing what i did  i signed up for the card (albeit for a 100k mr bonus offer) but maintain the $450 annual fee bec it costs a flat $175 for an additional 3 cardholders so 450 + 175 / 4 = arond 160 per person and found 3 people who i trust not to spend money on the card but only for status purposes willing to spend 160 for a card that gives automatic spg gold, and access to many lounges including aa admirals club (which is 300/year w/o plat card) among other benefits   make sure you call them to make sure the numbers are still right though

levi

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:56:01 AM »
you dont need any promos  i recommend doing what i did  i signed up for the card (albeit for a 100k mr bonus offer) but maintain the $450 annual fee bec it costs a flat $175 for an additional 3 cardholders so 450 + 175 / 4 = arond 160 per person and found 3 people who i trust not to spend money on the card but only for status purposes willing to spend 160 for a card that gives automatic spg gold, and access to many lounges including aa admirals club (which is 300/year w/o plat card) among other benefits   make sure you call them to make sure the numbers are still right though
That is exactly what I ment,  yes the numbers are still right

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
The other option is of course to hang out at the front the the lounge and bum an entry!

I often will guest in total strangers-no skin off my back!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:19:01 PM »
nice, I was thinking of doing it with my bro, we split the cost of the ann fee. I will have to think about it.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
you dont need any promos  i recommend doing what i did  i signed up for the card (albeit for a 100k mr bonus offer) but maintain the $450 annual fee bec it costs a flat $175 for an additional 3 cardholders so 450 + 175 / 4 = arond 160 per person and found 3 people who i trust not to spend money on the card but only for status purposes willing to spend 160 for a card that gives automatic spg gold, and access to many lounges including aa admirals club (which is 300/year w/o plat card) among other benefits   make sure you call them to make sure the numbers are still right though
is there any way to limit spending on the additional cards, and will the platinum card give the additional card holder elite status or is it just the account holder that gets the elite statuses

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
Levi can confirm if this is correct or not but I believe that you can just walk into a lounge and show the card and you'll get in. As far as Elite statuses like SPG Gold etc. I don't know if the additional card holder will get as well.

Being that it's a business account, it should allow you to limit spending on it. But a word of warning: only split it with people you know and trust. When the second year comes around and all you have is an e-mail address for some guy who you split it with, you can end up getting royally screwed. I had a similar situation with a cell phone plan split amongst a bunch of guys. Bad idea.
-Eli

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
if its possible i would limit the additional card holders to zero and it would basically just be a status/pass card i could give or lend out

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:16:39 PM »
is there any way to limit spending on the additional cards, and will the platinum card give the additional card holder elite status or is it just the account holder that gets the elite statuses
-Additional Plat cardholders will get SPG Gold.
-At the lounge they do swipe the card to confirm that it is active.
-You must be flying on the airline whose lounge you wish to enter on the same day.
-You can bring in your spouse and kids or 2 guests.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
will spg gold by itself get you in to any lounge at the airport

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
No.

levi

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
The other option is of course to hang out at the front the the lounge and bum an entry!

I often will guest in total strangers-no skin off my back!

you might find one nice guy here and there to guest you in but most people hate being asked

levi

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
as far as swiping the card they are very strict on that but as far as flying on the airline whose lounge you wish to enter they never asked me once for a boarding pass or any flight info I just give them the card and my ID

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
as far as swiping the card they are very strict on that but as far as flying on the airline whose lounge you wish to enter they never asked me once for a boarding pass or any flight info I just give them the card and my ID
Weird, when I was using my AMEX Plat for Continental President's club access they would always ask for my boarding pass!

levi

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »
Weird, when I was using my AMEX Plat for Continental President's club access they would always ask for my boarding pass!
When I travel with someone that is using his Continental Presidents club membership they always ask him for his boarding pass, But in 8 months of me traveling every week using the Amex Plat they never asked me for my boarding pass

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
When I travel with someone that is using his Continental Presidents club membership they always ask him for his boarding pass, But in 8 months of me traveling every week using the Amex Plat they never asked me for my boarding pass
???
That's totally and completely bizarre, I have never ever been asked for a BP with my PC membership., and was always asked for my BP with the AMEX Plat. 
Why would they ask for a BP with a PC membership if it's not required?