Poll

Diod you purchase stocks?

Yes
12 (16.9%)
No
59 (83.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Are you going to buy stocks in Facebook?  (Read 45859 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Are you going to buy stocks in Facebook?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
anyone want to guess what it closes at on the first day
if it opens at 35 it will close at 119

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
anyone want to guess what it closes at on the first day
if it opens at 35 it will close at 119
really 119?

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
really 119?
\
just a guess
im no expert

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
You should buy it at open. Sell when it spikes and then short it
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:39 AM »
at 99 times earnings...
If that number is correct than wow!!! I would stay far away from such a company.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
Is there a way for a Poshiter Yid like myself to get a few shares of the IPO? Or do you have to be part of one of the massive funds..
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »
I dont fully understand that article.  How can Facebook use that information to create advertising on other sites if their users arent currently logged in to facebook.  On facebook they can use the info from the users input to target ads.  But the article says that they will eventually use their info to have targeted ads on other sites and I dont believe that is likely without creating huge legal and privacy issues (much bigger than their current privacy issues).  Also, google is able to put together an immense amount of info about their users based off of searches and web sites visited thru google. 

Happens all the time, every day. That's what SEO is. Cookies, my friend, cookies.

One huge advantage that google has with its adsense is that when people are using google they are often looking for products and things.  Advertising works because it gives them what they are looking for.  However, when people are on facebook or other similar sites they have less interest in the ads, the ads just get in the way of their "socializing."  Google and its purpose is just inherently built for advertising to work in a way that no other model ever has. 

I hear why you think that facebook has a strong future and I dont disagree with that, but there is no way that google fears facebook.  Now if google was able to find a way for google+ to really take off then facebook would have what to be afraid of (I doubt this will happen).

Google+ is all but damned, try though as Google does. It has a couple of slick features, but until it reaches critical mass, it won't be able to touch Facebook.

I'm not saying I'm jumping into a Facebook investment with both feet, but Facebook is an advertisers dream. And, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Look at the numbers.

Throughout my schooling every professor I had kept on warning us not to buy into a company just because it is the hot thing. If the company can't put forth a concrete plan for future growth then you can bet the stock won't perform nicely. To be frank I have a lot more trust in a company like google where the list of its products and developments are forever expanding. Mr Zuckerberg built himself a nice company but I don't see it to be dynamic at all.
More new users=more money in future advertising? Ok fair enough but how many more users are there going to be in the next 10-20 years? This is without the assumption that Facebook could easily be a thing of the past in 5 years time. As a long term investment I'd be wary.

You're professor was right. But, who is saying you should invest in Facebook because it's "the hot thing?"

Riddle me this: Do you think the company would be valued at just near $100 billion dollars because they do not have a plan for future growth?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yeki89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:33 AM »
they are not a company that needs to perfect a product in order to do well. They just need to continue their product. Their money comes from advertizers, as long as they are around the ads will continue to come. About 7% of the world sees their site daily. The numbers are growing.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Are you going to buy stocks in Facebook?
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 01:12:23 AM »
they are not a company that needs to perfect a product in order to do well. They just need to continue their product. Their money comes from advertizers, as long as they are around the ads will continue to come. About 7% of the world sees their site daily. The numbers are growing.
That's not the way companies work. They need to grow or they won't succeed
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Yeki89

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 01:22:13 AM »
that would be true with a company that needs to sell its product, i.e. Apple, Dell, google, or your local home depot. Facebook sold the product and is reaping its rewards. "Every day that its half million users long on its selling its product".

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:28 AM »
That doesn't mean they will click on the ads and the current revenue they're earning on ad clicks doesn't justify the valuation they are seeking, thus they most definitely will need to grow the numbers substantially...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »

LOL +1
If that number is correct than wow!!! I would stay far away from such a company.

Yup. DotComBubble 2.0 :)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/04/30/heres-why-google-and-facebook-might-completely-disappear-in-the-next-5-years/2/

interesting article

That guy is long YHOO? WTF?

That doesn't mean they will click on the ads and the current revenue they're earning on ad clicks doesn't justify the valuation they are seeking, thus they most definitely will need to grow the numbers substantially...

+1, one must also consider that their ad-quality is cr@p (just log onto FB and see what they're targeting to you). Granted they have a lot of potential, but this IPO price is far from justified IMHO.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
The numbers for Facebook have actually been leveling out when it comes to new subscribers

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
Limited growth potential because everyone is already on Facebook?  That is utterly ridiculous.  This company has unlimited growth potential.  Read what analysts are saying about this company.  They have the potential to create a search engine more powerful than Google.   Consider: Google tailors their searches to your location, your searches, and your email content, and still they run into privacy issues.  Facebook knows EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS!! and the best part is that you offered all this information voluntarily! They will also end up with a mountain of cash from the IPO.  There is talk about them acquiring Bing from Microsoft.  And what about the possibility of the ultimate social media based smart phone?  The future of Facebook is loaded with infinite possibilities. 
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Yeki89

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Limited growth potential because everyone is already on Facebook?  That is utterly ridiculous.  This company has unlimited growth potential.  Read what analysts are saying about this company.  They have the potential to create a search engine more powerful than Google.   Consider: Google tailors their searches to your location, your searches, and your email content, and still they run into privacy issues.  Facebook knows EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS!! and the best part is that you offered all this information voluntarily! They will also end up with a mountain of cash from the IPO.  There is talk about them acquiring Bing from Microsoft.  And what about the possibility of the ultimate social media based smart phone?  The future of Facebook is loaded with infinite possibilities.
im with u

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:54 AM »
This company has unlimited growth potential.

So does Ambit... ::)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »
There is talk about them acquiring Bing from Microsoft.
Short, short, short :D

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
Short, short, short :D
short facebook?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
short facebook?

Yes, Bing is a Google wannabe that's cost MS $billions and still hasn't taken off.