Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1768746 times)

Offline intgesh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #1700 on: December 17, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »
I asked this on another thread, but it could be it was off topic there.

This is a combination-lack-of-knowledge question, so may be slightly OT, but not completely. I've had a personal SPG account since May, and want to reset my 12-month clock and close it. (I have SPG Biz, don't worry ;)). I don't want to lose the CL, so I can downgrade to the Blue, or shift to my Delta Gold card. I also bought a GPS on the card,and I want to retain the AmEx extended warranty. Does either option allow me to hold on to the protection? Does the Blue option keep the same account number, and thereby it's the same account?
Thanks.

Offline raphy781

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 18, 2013, 05:12:47 AM »
I asked this on another thread, but it could be it was off topic there.

This is a combination-lack-of-knowledge question, so may be slightly OT, but not completely. I've had a personal SPG account since May, and want to reset my 12-month clock and close it. (I have SPG Biz, don't worry ;)). I don't want to lose the CL, so I can downgrade to the Blue, or shift to my Delta Gold card. I also bought a GPS on the card,and I want to retain the AmEx extended warranty. Does either option allow me to hold on to the protection? Does the Blue option keep the same account number, and thereby it's the same account?
Thanks.
If you still have an account open with Amex, you'll have the extended warranty.
I downgraded to a blue card. Same account but I got a new card number.

Offline intgesh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 18, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
If you still have an account open with Amex, you'll have the extended warranty.
I downgraded to a blue card. Same account but I got a new card number.
Ok thanks. If it's a new number that answers another question I was going to ask- if I have to update automatic payments charged to my SPG. I guess so. And lastly, my statement doesn't close for a few more days, and I don't want to lose the ~2k Starpoints earned this month. Do I need to wait for them to post before downgrading? Or can I downgrade to Blue and they will post anyway?

Offline bahnbino

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 18, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
I have a Chase Freedom and applied for another on Sunday. I got an email that it was pending and called on Wednesday [today] to determine the status/ get reconsidered, but was told that you cannot have 2 Freedom cards and I'd have to pay off and close my existing one to get the new Freedom card. Is that true? What should/can I do other than paying off and closing the existing one?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 18, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
I have a Chase Freedom and applied for another on Sunday. I got an email that it was pending and called on Wednesday [today] to determine the status/ get reconsidered, but was told that you cannot have 2 Freedom cards and I'd have to pay off and close my existing one to get the new Freedom card. Is that true? What should/can I do other than paying off and closing the existing one?
Try and convince them why you need a second card.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline bahnbino

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 18, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
How do I convince them? I just want it for the 0%...thanks.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 18, 2013, 09:07:12 PM »
How do I convince them? I just want it for the 0%...thanks.
HSA

Offline bahnbino

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 18, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
I called again and the 2d rep said I could not get a 2d Chase Freedom card with the sign up incentives under any circumstances, even if I cancelled the Freedom card that I have [despite one being MC and one Visa, b/c it is the same product]! Both reps said that they never pulled my credit on the application b/c you just can't have 2 Freedom cards.

But, then the 2d rep suggested that I could get a 2d Freedom card if I only use it for business expenses, and I was approved after shifting some credit from other Chase cards that I never use.

So, once I start using this "business" card for regular things will they call me on that in any penalty way?

Online Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 18, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »
I called again and the 2d rep said I could not get a 2d Chase Freedom card with the sign up incentives under any circumstances, even if I cancelled the Freedom card that I have [despite one being MC and one Visa, b/c it is the same product]! Both reps said that they never pulled my credit on the application b/c you just can't have 2 Freedom cards.

But, then the 2d rep suggested that I could get a 2d Freedom card if I only use it for business expenses, and I was approved after shifting some credit from other Chase cards that I never use.

So, once I start using this "business" card for regular things will they call me on that in any penalty way?
Are you trying to say that you got a cc without a credit pull! or did 2nd rep pull your credit before approving...

Offline bahnbino

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 18, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
No, I'm assuming they pulled it during the 2d call, but both reps said that initially they just rejected my application w/o pulling my credit b/c you cannot have two Chase Freedom cards [though you can have multiple Sapphire cards b/c they have different kinds; Visa and Mastercard are considered the same acc. to the 2d rep].

I'm just concerned if there will be any repercussions once I use it since the purchases will not look like business ones. 

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: December 18, 2013, 11:52:32 PM »
Do I need to worry about buying VRs or GC and paying the card back via BB with Citi bank?

Bump
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: December 19, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
Bump

I pay Citi back with BB.

I do have over 10 Years of history with them, though.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Online Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:48 AM »
I pay Citi back with BB.

I do have over 10 Years of history with them, though.
Me too
Me too (around 10 years)
I pay all cc's including Amex with bb, but I use bb for many other bills and pay cc's from bank accounts as well...

Offline Dave321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: December 26, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
total random question.

I had a continental onepass account with miles in it.

Was that automatically transferred to the milageplus program or did i lose those miles?

TIA

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: December 26, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
I'm a beginner and don't know if I'm posting in the right thread but here goes. I tried a 3bm for chase Ink Plus, Ink Bold and United Biz. I received application pending. I called up 2 days later to check on the status and 2 of the 3 were declined the 3rd was still pending. I was told by the reconsideration department that my business was too new and didn't have enough experience or revenue. Through my research on the forums it seemed that I can put 1 year for length of time and 0$ for revenue. Can someone offer any suggestions...do I have to wait 3 to 6 months and try again...did I do something wrong? Thank you in advance.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: December 26, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
I'm a beginner and don't know if I'm posting in the right thread but here goes. I tried a 3bm for chase Ink Plus, Ink Bold and United Biz. I received application pending. I called up 2 days later to check on the status and 2 of the 3 were declined the 3rd was still pending. I was told by the reconsideration department that my business was too new and didn't have enough experience or revenue. Through my research on the forums it seemed that I can put 1 year for length of time and 0$ for revenue. Can someone offer any suggestions...do I have to wait 3 to 6 months and try again...did I do something wrong? Thank you in advance.
You should call up to recon your card. Speaking with an agent may be better in getting them to approve your cards.

Getting instant approvals are not always so likely, having to HUCA is where you get a lot of your cards.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline SRM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: December 27, 2013, 07:34:15 AM »
You should call up to recon your card. Speaking with an agent may be better in getting them to approve your cards.

Getting instant approvals are not always so likely, having to HUCA is where you get a lot of your cards.

Any suggestions for what I should tell them? I have to stick to the no years of experience and no current revenue...will I get them to reconsider anyway?

Offline jeremy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: December 27, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
Here is my question (and I have seen others ask this):

Dan mentioned to buy $1,500 of Amazon gift cards on the Freedom card to take advantage of the 5X points.  Then he mentioned being able to link the amazon gift cards to your amazon payment account and then sending money (no need to explain this process); however, I can't figure out how to load the amazon gift card funds onto my amazon payment account.

It appears you can load Visa, MC or AMEX gift cards, but not amazon gift cards. Also, it doesn't look like you can purchase Visa, MC or AMEX gift cards on amazon.com.

So how do I get my $1,500 in amazon gift cards out of amazon and back in cash?

Thanks.

Offline itsyehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: December 29, 2013, 02:12:08 AM »
Here is my question (and I have seen others ask this):

Dan mentioned to buy $1,500 of Amazon gift cards on the Freedom card to take advantage of the 5X points.  Then he mentioned being able to link the amazon gift cards to your amazon payment account and then sending money (no need to explain this process); however, I can't figure out how to load the amazon gift card funds onto my amazon payment account.

It appears you can load Visa, MC or AMEX gift cards, but not amazon gift cards. Also, it doesn't look like you can purchase Visa, MC or AMEX gift cards on amazon.com.

So how do I get my $1,500 in amazon gift cards out of amazon and back in cash?

Thanks.

You don't. You use them on Amazon.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline joed25

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
I need help booking a few award flights to Florida with either Avios or Aadvantage miles. I'v never done this before and I dont want to screw up. I'm willing to pay a small fee if someone could walk me through over the phone. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks.