Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1767623 times)

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #2220 on: April 23, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
I'm charging full price for it. If ur interested pm me

OOC what were you planning on using it for?
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline Adam101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

OOC what were you planning on using it for?
not sure. To be out of family members to buy them off me.. Not lechatchila...

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #2222 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Anyone here know the "Israel Aviation Services Law" in depth or know someone who does? United declined a claim under this and would potentially like to fight it, if I have a case.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »
not sure. To be out of family members to buy them off me.. Not lechatchila...

Why don't you just use it in any store?

Offline Adam101

• View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: April 23, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »

Why don't you just use it in any store?
Don't want to. I want to pay off my cc debt ASAP. It's to meet thresholds

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
Don't want to. I want to pay off my cc debt ASAP. It's to meet thresholds
The danger of getting in over your head. Much hatzlacha
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: April 24, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
The danger of getting in over your head. Much hatzlacha
At least it is only 200.

Offline Adam101

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: April 24, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »

At least it is only 200.
ya times 2... :(

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: April 24, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »
Try here for more info:  http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=35941.msg794702#msg794702
It looks like RiteAid does take GCs for MOs.  Walmart certainly does (usually).
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: April 25, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
I have a card that is only a few months old with an upfront AF that I'm really not interested in putting regular spending on. (I'd keep it around if Chase makes it worth my while, but that's not my preferred outcome.) I've spent enough to hit the bonus and I'd rather not pay the AF. I have to cancel (or get a retention bonus) ASAP or I'll lose the ability to refund the AF.

I know that many suggest applying for new cards and then offering to move over the CL on cards that you wouldn't mind closing, effectively killing two birds with one stone. But, at the beginning of the year I was just getting into this, and I was pretty active with opening Chase and AMEX cards (Experian for both) though not much in the past month or two. I'm not sure if they'll approve me at all, on the basis of the number of Chase cards and the number of pulls, let alone the amount of credit. In that case, applying for new cards right now would be a waste of credit pulls, and possibly hurt or delay my chances of applying for new cards with Chase or AMEX for the next little while.

The question is really about how bad wasted pulls are, if that's how they end up.

Is the negative of wasted pulls detrimental enough that I should just call and cancel the AF card, moving the CL to an existing card? Or should I just go ahead and apply for new cards, not worrying about the potential for wasted pulls, and if I end up completely stonewalled after HUCAing, then just go ahead and cancel?

Thanks very much.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: April 25, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
I have a card that is only a few months old with an upfront AF that I'm really not interested in putting regular spending on. (I'd keep it around if Chase makes it worth my while, but that's not my preferred outcome.) I've spent enough to hit the bonus and I'd rather not pay the AF. I have to cancel (or get a retention bonus) ASAP or I'll lose the ability to refund the AF.

I know that many suggest applying for new cards and then offering to move over the CL on cards that you wouldn't mind closing, effectively killing two birds with one stone. But, at the beginning of the year I was just getting into this, and I was pretty active with opening Chase and AMEX cards (Experian for both) though not much in the past month or two. I'm not sure if they'll approve me at all, on the basis of the number of Chase cards and the number of pulls, let alone the amount of credit. In that case, applying for new cards right now would be a waste of credit pulls, and possibly hurt or delay my chances of applying for new cards with Chase or AMEX for the next little while.

The question is really about how bad wasted pulls are, if that's how they end up.

Is the negative of wasted pulls detrimental enough that I should just call and cancel the AF card, moving the CL to an existing card? Or should I just go ahead and apply for new cards, not worrying about the potential for wasted pulls, and if I end up completely stonewalled after HUCAing, then just go ahead and cancel?

Thanks very much.
IMO, if you are not ready for an AOR, or not getting a great signup bonus on the new card, the best course of action would be to transfer the CL.

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:28 AM »
Or just lose the CL.  It sounds like you just got the CL increase a short 45 days or less ago, so it's loss would not be a big rating hit.

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
I actually needed to transfer $2K from another card to get the card approved, but even that "donor" card has only been around for a few months.

To confirm what you are saying, the real benefit of conserving CL is to not reduce long standing credit, particularly by a lot. If a. the CL is relatively low, and a relatively small amount of overall credit, and b. if it is relatively new, then there really isn't that big a downside to just losing the CL entirely if it comes to that?

Offline stevenr9

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 28, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
I am new to this forum and blogs in general. Just trying to learn how to benefit from DDF. Suppose I want to go to LA and want ideas for traveling there- I go to the master LA thread and there is 376 pages- am I supposed to read 376 pages to get caught up and see if my questions or concerns were addressed? Unless you have been following every thread from the beginning or have an abundance of spare time- how are you supposed to learn- feels like I am entering a movie half way through

Offline MC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
Many threads have wikis which help A LOT. And if you have specific things in mind, you can do a search to see if they've been discussed...

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 28, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
I actually needed to transfer $2K from another card to get the card approved, but even that "donor" card has only been around for a few months.

To confirm what you are saying, the real benefit of conserving CL is to not reduce long standing credit, particularly by a lot. If a. the CL is relatively low, and a relatively small amount of overall credit, and b. if it is relatively new, then there really isn't that big a downside to just losing the CL entirely if it comes to that?
correct

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
I am new to this forum and blogs in general. Just trying to learn how to benefit from DDF. Suppose I want to go to LA and want ideas for traveling there- I go to the master LA thread and there is 376 pages- am I supposed to read 376 pages to get caught up and see if my questions or concerns were addressed? Unless you have been following every thread from the beginning or have an abundance of spare time- how are you supposed to learn- feels like I am entering a movie half way through
Good analogy.  When I joined up, I read some threads to learn and and found them also entertaining.
Read in your spare time.  Takes notes if necessary.  Create wikis or update them when you finish the thread to pave the way for those behind you.

Offline HolyHippi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
I've been a AU on a mileageplus explorer mastercard for a year. Several months ago I got a offer for Amex Preimer gold, I think it was prescreened. Does that mean I will still get accepted after that offer expired? Do I still have to apply for store CCs to get better credit before I apply for a real CC? Which card has the best bonus points for a new card ?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 28, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »
I've been a AU on a mileageplus explorer mastercard for a year. Several months ago I got a offer for Amex Preimer gold, I think it was prescreened. Does that mean I will still get accepted after that offer expired? Do I still have to apply for store CCs to get better credit before I apply for a real CC? Which card has the best bonus points for a new card ?
Getting a prescreened offer does not mean you will be approved.
Mileage plus is a chase card.  Your prescreened offer was from Amex.  You must be in the system and have a credit report and score.  Get yourself a free/cheap copy of your score and see what's doing.