Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1754148 times)

Offline dtrad1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #2440 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
I am early 20s and trying to build my credit in order to get credit cards like AMEX SPG and chase sapphire.  I was a student until now (just graduated and starting work in 1 months), but always reported an inflated income when trying to get cards. When i first tried getting CC i applied to Amex a few times and obviously got denied as I didn't understand how it works.  I then opened a Citi forward card with $2000 line and have been paying it off constantly since.  About a year later (march/april '14) I got approved for discover $2500, capital one $1000 1.5% cash back, and US airways Barclaycard $3800.  I now want to close my citi so as to only have 3 lines, but it has the longest credit history.  Should I leave all open and try to use all for various purchases?  Close citi as it has worst rewards?  Close a different one? 
Which AMEX is easiest to get approved for as I am trying to get foot in the door in order to upgrade to SPG? 
Also tried to get foot in the door with chase freedom and got denied based on too short a credit history...
When applying for cards, what kind of income should I "report", should I say rent or own?  Are higher payments better or worse for an application?
Any help or advice would be amazing! 

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
I am early 20s and trying to build my credit in order to get credit cards like AMEX SPG and chase sapphire.  I was a student until now (just graduated and starting work in 1 months), but always reported an inflated income when trying to get cards. When i first tried getting CC i applied to Amex a few times and obviously got denied as I didn't understand how it works.  I then opened a Citi forward card with $2000 line and have been paying it off constantly since.  About a year later (march/april '14) I got approved for discover $2500, capital one $1000 1.5% cash back, and US airways Barclaycard $3800.  I now want to close my citi so as to only have 3 lines, but it has the longest credit history.  Should I leave all open and try to use all for various purchases?  Close citi as it has worst rewards?  Close a different one? 
Which AMEX is easiest to get approved for as I am trying to get foot in the door in order to upgrade to SPG? 
Also tried to get foot in the door with chase freedom and got denied based on too short a credit history...
When applying for cards, what kind of income should I "report", should I say rent or own?  Are higher payments better or worse for an application?
Better not to close your first card (unless there is an annual fee). If you live at home, you may be able to report your parents income on your credit apps.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #2442 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »

Welcome to the Forums!

Never close your oldest account, so keep your citi card open. Also, you shouldn't rush to close your other three cards as having them open increases your overall credit line, which positively effects your credit score. If you are concerned about the fees, that is a different story.

Report the income you actually make, or else you are committing fraud as you are falsifying legal documents. The one loophole, of course being, that if you still live in your parents house, you can report their income.

I don't understand what you mean when you say, "Are higher payments better or worse for an application?". If you are referring to a higher income, of course it help as it's one of the main determinants if you will be approved for your Credit Card.

With regards to Amex, I don't know the easiest card to approved for.

Hope this helps.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: June 22, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
How can i get around specific websites (more specifically nbc) rules of only letting you view the content while in the united states?  Without paying obviously

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: June 22, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »

How can i get around specific websites (more specifically nbc) rules of only letting you view the content while in the united states?  Without paying obviously
Hola works for Netflix and Hulu, not sure about nbc but worth a try.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: June 22, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
Hola works for Netflix and Hulu, not sure about nbc but worth a try.
thanks alot.  Worked

Offline MC

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: June 22, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline dtrad1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: June 26, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »
Welcome to the Forums!

Never close your oldest account, so keep your citi card open. Also, you shouldn't rush to close your other three cards as having them open increases your overall credit line, which positively effects your credit score. If you are concerned about the fees, that is a different story.

Report the income you actually make, or else you are committing fraud as you are falsifying legal documents. The one loophole, of course being, that if you still live in your parents house, you can report their income.

I don't understand what you mean when you say, "Are higher payments better or worse for an application?". If you are referring to a higher income, of course it help as it's one of the main determinants if you will be approved for your Credit Card.

With regards to Amex, I don't know the easiest card to approved for.

Hope this helps.

I will certainly keep the citi card open then.  Thanks for your help!

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: June 30, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
Are there any restaurants out there that sell Visa/MC/Amex  GCs? (Hamaveen yaveen)

Offline Yitz G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Citi Exec World Elite, SPG, Ink, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, BB, Evolve
« Reply #2449 on: June 30, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »
Is there a thread dedicated specifically to alternate methods of liquidating GC's? Its a big issue on the east coast. Its Virtually impossible to unload to BB in NY/NJ. I say virtually bc i know it can be done here and there if you get lucky but for the most part, its very near impossible. Anyone know of such a thread?
This is my happy place.

Online etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2450 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »
Is there a thread dedicated specifically to alternate methods of liquidating GC's? Its a big issue on the east coast. Its Virtually impossible to unload to BB in NY/NJ. I say virtually bc i know it can be done here and there if you get lucky but for the most part, its very near impossible. Anyone know of such a thread?
"virtually"
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #2451 on: July 01, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »

Try these for starters. Keep your eyes and ears open.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=38310.0
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3524.0
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=35941.0
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=6437.0

^^^

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
Is the sapphire preferred the best card to rent a car with? (In US)
Thanks

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: July 01, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Is the sapphire preferred the best card to rent a car with? (In US)
Thanks
Best to rent with United which offers primary insurance, but only gives 1-1.5miles/$.  When returning the accident free car, best to pay with Sapphire which gives 2.14 pts/$.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
Best to rent with United which offers primary insurance, but only gives 1-1.5miles/$.  When returning the accident free car, best to pay with Sapphire which gives 2.14 pts/$.
Huh? So you pay when you return the car?

Offline Adam101

• View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: July 01, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
Huh? So you pay when you return the car?
when booking through the rental use United card. when you return the car switch the payment to sapphire preferred.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: July 01, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
when booking through the rental use United card. when you return the car switch the payment to sapphire preferred.
I get it - thanks!

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #2457 on: July 04, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
I get it - thanks!
Only if no accidents.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: July 04, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: July 10, 2014, 07:47:23 AM »
is there and Uber for dummies thread?
I just found a new supply of forks!