Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1765114 times)

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #7240 on: August 15, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »
Unless there's an additional fee per person, they don't really care except for the fire-hazard issue. Do u need cots or not? If yeah, ask, but either way they don't have to know that u r bringing ur kids in with u, leave them in the car till u finish checking in, walk outside, give ur spouse a roomkey, and then have ur spouse bring them to the room.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: August 15, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
Dont know about that particular hotel, but definitely a big YMMV depending on the hotel. I have had both extremes happen to me.
Did you have a bad experience when you brought kids later, while at checkin they were not there? (As @shulem92 mentioned)
Unless there's an additional fee per person, they don't really care except for the fire-hazard issue. Do u need cots or not? If yeah, ask, but either way they don't have to know that u r bringing ur kids in with u, leave them in the car till u finish checking in, walk outside, give ur spouse a roomkey, and then have ur spouse bring them to the room.
Yes, was thinking of doing that. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they usually look out for that. I will not be requesting extra cots; I will have my kids double up.

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: August 15, 2016, 11:04:35 PM »
Did you have a bad experience when you brought kids later, while at checkin they were not there? (As @shulem92 mentioned)Yes, was thinking of doing that. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they usually look out for that. I will not be requesting extra cots; I will have my kids double up.
YMMV, but the most I've done is 12 bochurim sneaking into 1 king size room (to watch the game )

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #7243 on: August 16, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
YMMV, but most hotels have security cameras in all the halls. So they may know what you are doing.
^^^

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: August 16, 2016, 01:15:11 PM »
YMMV, but most hotels have security cameras in all the halls. So they may know what you are doing.
Well obv don't all go in together...
Legally I don't think they can restrict it, unless they charge per person, or ur over the fire-safety limits. CMIIW please

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
In Europe it's a bigger issue I found because there is some sort of govt fee per person. Only other place I had a real issue was at an ihg all inclusive property

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #7246 on: August 16, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
I don't know if this belongs here but I'll ask anyway. If I book a hotel room and entered into the reservation only 2 adults, how are they about bringing along (my) children to sleep in our room? What if I'm bringing an amount of children that had I entered them into my initial booking they would have made me take an extra room?

To be more specific, I'm asking about the Hyatt Place in Malta - Saratoga.
Don't know if it should be any harder, but have been at holiday inns and holiday inns express and just went to make a booking and then brought my luggage in and then brought the rest of the family in through side doors (which almost every hotel has )or just bring the rest of your kids through the front one or two together! Do you really think they keep track which kids they saw and which not? One of you stay outside and bring each one in if you don't trust them walking through the hotel by them selves! (best way would be through a side door(every hotel should have -especially if it's a normal size hotel!).
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: August 16, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
At least I hope that's not what security is looking out for, for the 1 extra kid you snuck in, let them be busy for the crooks , 2nd of all they won't even realize. they see so many people throughout the day and doubt they can keep track who comes in and who out!
3rd reason not to be worried, do you really think they watch the surveillance the whole time! ? (doubt it)
That reminds me of a time when I was in HIE and my electric door handle (which you place your key card in to go into the room)stopped working so I was semi locked out of my room!(for myself I wasn't locked out but for the HIE CS I was (I had a double room so I could have entered through the other door! But anyways he came to fix my door he first opened the door handle with a long stick which he placed under the door and pulled the handle,and then used a master key card (from some random hotel(i guess to know which is the master card)) and as he was cleaning up he picked up the batteries and his pick set and the rest of his tools and the master key card he left by mistake! I didn't realize it was a master key card since I wasn't watching every second of what he did,but I found it on the floor when I entered my room and took use out of it being able to get toiletries and other stuff without having to wait around for room service 2 hrs later! And was curios to see if it would work for other rooms so went and tried, and worked fine so for that night each of my kids had there own room and told them to tell the Room service people should they come and knock on the locked door that they must have mistakenly wrote the wrong room given and left the one I'm in blank! Back to the point, if the Surveillance cameras or the security was watching none of this would have happened....(ps- was joking about putting  another kid in each room!) 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: August 16, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »
Glad it worked for you!

My point was that if you check in, and then a few minutes later go to your car and come back with your wife and 6 kids, dont assume that they are unaware of what you did. More so when you check into some motel 6.5 at 1:30 in the morning, and you are the only one checking in at that time, and noone else is in the hall.
^^^

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: August 16, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
Glad it worked for you!

My point was that if you check in, and then a few minutes later go to your car and come back with your wife and 6 kids, dont assume that they are unaware of what you did. More so when you check into some motel 6.5 at 1:30 in the morning, and you are the only one checking in at that time, and noone else is in the hall.
It takes someone really stupid to walk into a hotel with 6 kids with only one room booked!(going in 1or 2 at a time is a different story!)

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: August 16, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
It takes someone really stupid to walk into a hotel with 6 kids with only one room booked!(going in 1or 2 at a time is a different story!)
We got all types here!
^^^

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: August 16, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
We got all types here!
With that I do agree(at least we agree on something! ;))

Offline BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: August 16, 2016, 11:11:41 PM »
When do Krisflyer miles expire?

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: August 16, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
When do Krisflyer miles expire?
36 months IIRC

Offline mbasar

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: August 17, 2016, 08:22:05 AM »
I'm having problems attaching a image to my gmail signature, whenever I try to add the URL for the image, it gives me a error that a error had occurred, and it can't find the image, or the image is restricted.
I've followed some instructions on google, still didn't help me.
I'm using Google apps for work for non profit.
Any advice/link is appreciated.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: August 17, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »
Canceling a ticket for BA to renew your miles? Does that work if you would get back the ticket and the miles canceling within 24 hours or do I need to loose 5.60$ to renew my miles?   

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: August 17, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »
I'm having problems attaching a image to my gmail signature, whenever I try to add the URL for the image, it gives me a error that a error had occurred, and it can't find the image, or the image is restricted.
I've followed some instructions on google, still didn't help me.
I'm using Google apps for work for non profit.
Any advice/link is appreciated.
Try posting in in Gmail tips, tricks and questions
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #7257 on: August 17, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »
Try posting in in Gmail tips, tricks and questions
Also post the link to the image you're trying to use
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline solls108

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:24 AM »
Cant find any thread on getting discounted magazines. If there is a known website out there, please advise.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: August 18, 2016, 03:57:53 PM »
Cant find any thread on getting discounted magazines. If there is a known website out there, please advise.
There are deals constantly for free magazines! (Forbes, sports illustrated...) try asking your Question here..http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12138.0