Topic Wiki

This is the thread where you can ask any random question you have. Feel free to ask even the most basic questions that you otherwise might be embarrassed to ask. This is the thread for beginners, so veterans here will treat you nicely. Ask a beginner's Q in some other threads and no guarantee of that same treatment. ;)
People here want to help, so just have some patience, follow the tips below and hopefully someone will help you when they have a chance.

If you looking for a particular thread you once saw and can't find it, this is not the place to ask. Check out Help Me Find It and ask there.

How to ask a question in this thread:
Click the blue reply button at the top or bottom of the page, type your question, and click post!

Some helpful tips for eliciting answers from other members:
- Keep your question short and precise. No one wants to read a megillah.
- The more questions you ask in one post, the less likely any will be answered. People are willing to answer a question or two, but if you ask all the questions that apply to your particular issue, you're expecting to be spoonfed. Members don't like holding out the spoon, so ask accordingly.

If you Need Help booking Flights?
Need Help Finding a Paid Ticket
Need Help Finding a Award Ticket

« Last edited by DoreshEmes on April 11, 2019, 03:54:27 AM »

Author Topic: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!  (Read 1767857 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Questions and Help for BEGINNERS!
« Reply #2280 on: May 01, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
For the future you can use the  tag like this:
[nobbc][img]http://i.imgur.com/your_file_here[/img][/nobbc]
Thanks...was trying to figure out the right tag.  What language?

Offline rg

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 01, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
need to close my amex card so not to pay anual fee. have left 13000 points
what can i do with them?
have a lot of ur points. can i transfer to united?

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
need to close my amex card so not to pay anual fee. have left 13000 points
what can i do with them?
have a lot of ur points. can i transfer to united?
if you have another MR card so transfer to that, if not transfer them to any airline partner you think is best for you.

Yes you could transfer UR to united.
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline rg

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
if you have another MR card so transfer to that, if not transfer them to any airline partner you think is best for you.

Yes you could transfer UR to united.
thanks for your response but i meant can I transfer mr to united. don't have other ff with other partner

Offline Myccrabbi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 01, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
thanks for your response but i meant can I transfer mr to united. don't have other ff with other partner
iirc you can but it's 2; 1
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 01, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
iirc you can but it's 2; 1
MR does not transfer to UA at all.

You are thinking of SPG.

Offline Adam101

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
Can't get a straight answer. I got 50k UR from my Ink Plus card. I want to transfer them to my SW card toward a companion pass. if i transfer them straight they won't go on a one to one ratio nor will they go towards a CP. . If I go through Hyatt  points I can get 100k UR transferred to 60k SW. The question is do I need a Hyatt card to transfer? and if not how do I do it? do I have to make myself an account on the Hyatt website? Is that good enough?

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
Can't get a straight answer. I got 50k UR from my Ink Plus card. I want to transfer them to my SW card toward a companion pass. if i transfer them straight they won't go on a one to one ratio nor will they go towards a CP. . If I go through Hyatt  points I can get 100k UR transferred to 60k SW. The question is do I need a Hyatt card to transfer? and if not how do I do it? do I have to make myself an account on the Hyatt website? Is that good enough?
UR:SW is definitely 1:1. Call up Hyatt and ask if you need a CC to transfer to SW or can you just have an HGP account?

Offline Excalibur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm trying to take my wife to israel and she just got her first secure cc 3 months ago. Most of the mileage earning is in my hands.

I had amex already (spg/delta/bluesky) failed f/r in september '13 bc of too many AU's. (all miles at 0)

I have United MileagePlus Explorer with 16k left from july '13

WMA barclay opened (and only card from barclay) October (0 miles)

INK Plus opened in June '13 30k

AA citi with 120k (waiting for bonus)

Anual fees are coming up on United and Ink Card. I really only have 1 inquiry (Citi AA) since January, October/November for my apartment lease and amex fiasco was started in September/October so those inquiries are over 6 months old

AA is almost enough miles to go 3 OW economy or 2 in Business. I'll need some more points for the tickets back to the US and for hotel stays in Israel.

I was wondering how to power through the next round of Apps. I don't want to close the Explorer yet, as it is my only consumer credit line and want to have that as a leverage for 3rd app from Chase.

I think I'll probably downgrade the WMA and reapply. The Lufthansa looks like a great idea if I could use those miles for hotels in israel or tickets returning, possibly create a FF# with an Israel address and apply with it for the bonus. Possibly LH to Poland   and United to NY (Phl?). I'd really appreciate some input.

ETA: [Is this the correct thread for this?]

ETA: [Also want to get back into Amex...would it be a bad idea to apply for the everyday card AOR style (fourth application after applying for chase-they would see chase inquiries and chase wouldn't see this one?]
trying my luck here

Offline YosefK

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 04, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
I applied for the sapphire preferred and was rejected because of lack of credit line. I have only one CC from my bank with 1000 dollar credit limit. I have it for 4 years and missed only one payment on time, but i guess that's not enough.

My question is where do I go from here? I guess I have to open some more basic cards before I go for the sapphire, so which should it be? and should it be from chase? any reason to wait after being rejected before applying for the more basic card?

And, after I have another card, how long should I wait before applying again for the Sapphire preferred?

Thanks!

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 04, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »
trying my luck here
You have too much info, scattered in unnecessary places.
So I tried fixing it.  Most of all, the question needs to be crystal clear, so people can focus on where you need help.
So the rewrite:

Excalibur wrote:
I'm trying to take my wife to israel and she just got her first secured cc 3 months ago, so most of the mileage earning is in my hands.
I had amex.  failed f/r in september '13( bc of too many AU's)

I have:
United MileagePlus Explorer (july '13)
INK Plus (June '13)
WMA barclay  (October ’13)
AA citi  (Jan ‘14)

Additional Inquiries: October/November for my apartment

16k united
30k UR

AA is almost enough miles to go 3 OW economy or 2 in Business. I'll need some more points for the tickets back to the US and for hotel stays in Israel.

Q: I was wondering how to power through the next round of Apps. I don't want to close the United Explorer yet, as it is my only consumer credit line and want to have that as a leverage for 3rd app from Chase. But annual fees are coming up on United and Ink Card.

How's this? I was thinking I'll probably downgrade the WMA and reapply. The Lufthansa looks like a great idea if I could use those miles for hotels in israel or tickets returning, possibly create a FF# with an Israel address and apply with it for the bonus.
Possibly LH to Poland   and United to NY (Phl?).
I'd really appreciate some input.

Q: Also want to get back into Amex...would it be a bad idea to apply for the everyday card AOR style (fourth application after applying for chase-they would see chase inquiries and chase wouldn't see this one?]
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:07 PM »
You have too much info, scattered in unnecessary places.
So I tried fixing it.  Most of all, the question needs to be crystal clear, so people can focus on where you need help.
So the rewrite:

Excalibur wrote:
I'm trying to take my wife to israel and she just got her first secured cc 3 months ago, so most of the mileage earning is in my hands.
I had amex.  failed f/r in september '13( bc of too many AU's)

I have:
United MileagePlus Explorer (july '13)
INK Plus (June '13)
WMA barclay  (October ’13)
AA citi  (Jan ‘14)

Additional Inquiries: October/November for my apartment

16k united
30k UR

Q: I was wondering how to power through the next round of Apps. I don't want to close the United Explorer yet, as it is my only consumer credit line and want to have that as a leverage for 3rd app from Chase. But annual fees are coming up on United and Ink Card.

How's this? I was thinking I'll probably downgrade the WMA and reapply. The Lufthansa looks like a great idea if I could use those miles for hotels in israel or tickets returning, possibly create a FF# with an Israel address and apply with it for the bonus.
Possibly LH to Poland   and United to NY (Phl?).
I'd really appreciate some input.

Q: Also want to get back into Amex...would it be a bad idea to apply for the everyday card AOR style (fourth application after applying for chase-they would see chase inquiries and chase wouldn't see this one?]
New ddf service - have ckmk rewrite your questions...$10 per post.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 04, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
New ddf service - have ckmk rewrite your questions...$10 per post.
;D  Halevai!

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:48 AM »
Ka'H, when you have more kids than a minivan will seat, airline travel becomes far and few between.  I, therefore have no clue what options are available to me to help speed up security/passport/customs/etc. for our upcoming trip to E"Y.  Eino yodeah l'shol...

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 05, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
Ka'H, when you have more kids than a minivan will seat, airline travel becomes far and few between.  I, therefore have no clue what options are available to me to help speed up security/passport/customs/etc. for our upcoming trip to E"Y.  Eino yodeah l'shol...
With a large family, I think you just need travel organization tips.  I can't imagine there's a quick way to do it.  One adult holds all the passports and boarding passes.
Put specific older children in charge of specific little ones. Their bags, their shoes, their sippy cup.  Each child has his own knapsack with age appropriate toys, snacks, books, blankie.  An evening flight going- so all the little ones are excited, get on the plane, and fall asleep right after takeoff.

If anyone has a way to speed up security/passport/customs/etc, Please chime in.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:34 AM »
With a large family, I think you just need travel organization tips.  I can't imagine there's a quick way to do it.  One adult holds all the passports and boarding passes.
Put specific older children in charge of specific little ones. Their bags, their shoes, their sippy cup.  Each child has his own knapsack with age appropriate toys, snacks, books, blankie.  An evening flight going- so all the little ones are excited, get on the plane, and fall asleep right after takeoff.

I am a pretty organized person, and we are taking a mother's helper.  My main question is regarding what I should buy/apply for/use what comes free with cc's/etc to speed up/bypass the lines.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 05, 2014, 03:27:17 AM »

Great idea, but besides for our mother's helper, the oldest will be just shy of 9.  :D

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #2297 on: May 05, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Is paying a cellphone bill on an Ink card 5ppd or just buying a cellphone?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »
Is paying a cellphone bill on an Ink card 5ppd or just buying a cellphone?
Paying a bill is also 5.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 05, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
Paying a bill is also 5.

any company? or just the major ones like verizon/sprint, etc? i use page plus- does that count?
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes