Author Topic: Cars  (Read 25897 times)

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Cars
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 09:35:52 AM »
Not sure where u located, but you can get them on craigslist for cheaper.
Also, once u pass the 200k mark, there's no way to tell how much life u have left. No mechanic can tell u. Depends on how well the car was maintained.
I feel like Craigslist is more scam than real.
Half of the cars (or more) are from dealers who tack on fees - even if you filter out the dealers.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2022, 09:47:07 AM »
Toyota highlander
Why not a RAV4? Highlander has a 3rd row of seats, but you're paying for it.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
I feel like Craigslist is more scam than real.
Half of the cars (or more) are from dealers who tack on fees - even if you filter out the dealers.
You have to use your brain when you search.

There are many terrific deals to be found on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2022, 01:10:42 AM »
You have to use your brain when you search.

There are many terrific deals to be found on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
I got very frustrated trying to weed through the mess a year ago.
Eventually got a car for more than it was worth.

The guy was selling a Mazda 6 bare bones standard transmission 150k for $6200. I offered $5500, he countered with $5000. Yes, you read that correctly lol. I replaced all brakes and rotors + rear calipers myself and then paid a mechanic to replace the clutch. A few other small things, but now it's pretty ok.
I would think that I probably could have paid $4k or close to it for that car - if I knew more about clutches at the time.

What do you consider a good deal in the $5k range?

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
I got very frustrated trying to weed through the mess a year ago.
Eventually got a car for more than it was worth.

The guy was selling a Mazda 6 bare bones standard transmission 150k for $6200. I offered $5500, he countered with $5000. Yes, you read that correctly lol. I replaced all brakes and rotors + rear calipers myself and then paid a mechanic to replace the clutch. A few other small things, but now it's pretty ok.
I would think that I probably could have paid $4k or close to it for that car - if I knew more about clutches at the time.

What do you consider a good deal in the $5k range?
You could have probably got him below 4K.
I'll post links of good deals here.

Decent deals: https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/d/bronx-2005-toyota-camry-se-for-sale/7505466164.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/franklin-square-2007-honda-accord/7505673766.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/d/bronx-2006-honda-civic/7505571593.html

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2022, 11:44:06 PM »

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 01:12:07 AM »
CL is a pain in the back in my limited experience. Admittedly, I don't know cars well - I think to a degree that's a necessity to buy stuff off Craigslist. You have to be able to look at a car, pop a hood, go for a test spin, and feel out the trouble spots. Otherwise, you have to bring car to mechanic you trust to inspect, which is a pain, and many sellers don't like doing.

Ime, is mainly (after you filter by owner only) off the books dealers, scammers, and people trying to sell their car for the top KBB private sale value. The scammers cars generally don't exist. If you browse enough, you get a feel for their listings, and can tell as soon as you open it that it's a scam. They often don't want to speak on phone, have weird stories behind cars, have images that look professional dealer photos or from clearly a different locale than the car is supposedly located in (like palm trees and a gorgeous house for a car in NYC), and just straight up weird prices (like $7,208) and descriptions.

The actual private sellers are pretty annoying and non cooperative. Chances are they've been flooded with a million garbage offers and scam messages too, and are wary. CL is a cesspool. They're cars are often overpriced, arranging a meeting is a pain, the cars won't have license plates and they won't want you to take a test drive or get inspection, and there will be a catch. CL is garbage. Always assume there's a catch. If it's too good to be true, you haven't looked deep enough.

In a way, the shady fake cash only dealers/flippers are the easiest to work with. That being said, there's a reason why they're cash only and operating under fake names on CL. There's no recourse once you buy that car. There will be no real bill of sale, no documentation, no warranty, and no lemon law protection. Chances are the title is still in the name of person they got car from. Make sure to inspect car very carefully, because there's no backsies. These guys know the business, and the cars are priced the way they are for a reason. They bought some junker, did a cheap sloppy job putting lipstick on the pig, and try to pass it off to the next naive buyer. Be aware of this going in. Caveat emptor.

First thing I always did before setting a meeting to see car was ask for VIN to check vehicle history. If they don't provide, I ignore. Chances are car has been in 3 major accidents and has odometer rolled back 100k.

I also confirm that I can bring car to mechanic nearby to inspect. If they don't allow, that's deal breaker red flag in my book.

Wherever I do schedule a meeting, I try to get there early to check out car externally without guy breathing over shoulder and spewing distracting garbage whenever I see area of concern. That's more me by personality - I'm pretty non confrontational. Could be it's not really necessary. I've definitely ghosted meetups after seeing car in person and just walking away.

I've bought a few cars on CL in $1k-$5k range, and while not pretty, they've done fairly well mechanically. I definitely can't complain. That being said, it's a real pain to filter through all the absolute garbage there. Actual deals are rare, though, in my limited experience.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »
CL is a pain in the back in my limited experience. Admittedly, I don't know cars well - I think to a degree that's a necessity to buy stuff off Craigslist. You have to be able to look at a car, pop a hood, go for a test spin, and feel out the trouble spots. Otherwise, you have to bring car to mechanic you trust to inspect, which is a pain, and many sellers don't like doing.

Ime, is mainly (after you filter by owner only) off the books dealers, scammers, and people trying to sell their car for the top KBB private sale value. The scammers cars generally don't exist. If you browse enough, you get a feel for their listings, and can tell as soon as you open it that it's a scam. They often don't want to speak on phone, have weird stories behind cars, have images that look professional dealer photos or from clearly a different locale than the car is supposedly located in (like palm trees and a gorgeous house for a car in NYC), and just straight up weird prices (like $7,208) and descriptions.

The actual private sellers are pretty annoying and non cooperative. Chances are they've been flooded with a million garbage offers and scam messages too, and are wary. CL is a cesspool. They're cars are often overpriced, arranging a meeting is a pain, the cars won't have license plates and they won't want you to take a test drive or get inspection, and there will be a catch. CL is garbage. Always assume there's a catch. If it's too good to be true, you haven't looked deep enough.

In a way, the shady fake cash only dealers/flippers are the easiest to work with. That being said, there's a reason why they're cash only and operating under fake names on CL. There's no recourse once you buy that car. There will be no real bill of sale, no documentation, no warranty, and no lemon law protection. Chances are the title is still in the name of person they got car from. Make sure to inspect car very carefully, because there's no backsies. These guys know the business, and the cars are priced the way they are for a reason. They bought some junker, did a cheap sloppy job putting lipstick on the pig, and try to pass it off to the next naive buyer. Be aware of this going in. Caveat emptor.

First thing I always did before setting a meeting to see car was ask for VIN to check vehicle history. If they don't provide, I ignore. Chances are car has been in 3 major accidents and has odometer rolled back 100k.

I also confirm that I can bring car to mechanic nearby to inspect. If they don't allow, that's deal breaker red flag in my book.

Wherever I do schedule a meeting, I try to get there early to check out car externally without guy breathing over shoulder and spewing distracting garbage whenever I see area of concern. That's more me by personality - I'm pretty non confrontational. Could be it's not really necessary. I've definitely ghosted meetups after seeing car in person and just walking away.

I've bought a few cars on CL in $1k-$5k range, and while not pretty, they've done fairly well mechanically. I definitely can't complain. That being said, it's a real pain to filter through all the absolute garbage there. Actual deals are rare, though, in my limited experience.
Yes it's a pain.
Ask for the VIN. If you don't get it l, go on to the next car.

Personally I've found Facebook Marketplace to be much much better.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 01:12:05 PM »
Always ran into problems with CL. See any good deals on a minivan recently?
Year, make, model, price range?

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2022, 02:45:10 AM »

That's what I ended up doing, although I got it from FB marketplace. Although I overpaid, I have no regrets, because I was desperate and it checked enough boxes. Also, I saved around ~$800 in repairs by doing some work myself.
I went with a code scanner and when I got to the car to take it for a spin, the codes had just been reset (i.e., there were 0 miles driven since last reset) . He said that was because they just replaced the battery. I told the guy that I'm only gonna buy the car if I can drive the car long enough for all the tests to complete. He said ok and I drove it 20-25 miles, checked again and saw no codes. So I bought it.
He actually had me sign the original bill of sale which stated that the car was purchased for $2000.

Even though I don't regret it, I wouldn't buy from a flipper like that again.
If he was selling as a dealer, he would have legally been required to replace the brakes and rotors (although he may have gotten away with the seized calipers). He also would have been required to replace one of the tires and I probably could have twisted his arm into replacing the clutch for me as well after the sale by threatening to report him.

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2022, 02:47:50 AM »
You could have probably got him below 4K.
It's a 2013 and black, so the value is automatically a little higher. I expected that I'd need to replace the clutch soon after buying. I don't think he was desperate enough to sell it for below $4k.

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2022, 10:58:51 AM »
It's a 2013 and black, so the value is automatically a little higher. I expected that I'd need to replace the clutch soon after buying. I don't think he was desperate enough to sell it for below $4k.
So...next car.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2022, 11:26:14 AM »
but the current market has gone completely off the charts.
Can you give a few examples ?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2022, 11:32:58 AM »
Yes it's a pain.
Ask for the VIN. If you don't get it l, go on to the next car.

Personally I've found Facebook Marketplace to be much much better.

FB marketplace is much harder to filter through by location, make, model, mileage, title status, and price, no?
I haven't used it in a while, but I found navigation and listing quality to be lacking compared to FB. (Not saying the actual vehicles or sellers were worse - no idea about that.)

I think the flipper type seller list their stuff on both. (Sellers have told me they find the buyers from FB marketplace to be higher quality than CL too, interestingly enough. CL is the absolute pits of the Internet. If 4chan would have a marketplace, CL would probably still be worse.)

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2022, 11:38:15 AM »
FB marketplace is much harder to filter through by location, make, model, mileage, title status, and price, no?
I haven't used it in a while, but I found navigation and listing quality to be lacking compared to FB. (Not saying the actual vehicles or sellers were worse - no idea about that.)

I think the flipper type seller list their stuff on both. (Sellers have told me they find the buyers from FB marketplace to be higher quality than CL too, interestingly enough. CL is the absolute pits of the Internet. If 4chan would have a marketplace, CL would probably still be worse.)
Very easy to filter on FB marketplace. You just have to know what your doing.

There are so so many cars for sale that if you don't like one, then just move to the next.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2022, 09:16:18 PM »
For a new car bought from a dealer, where can I get the best rate on an auto loan? (not through a credit union due to potential halachic issues - and no Im not looking to start a debate)

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2022, 09:22:27 PM »
For a new car bought from a dealer, where can I get the best rate on an auto loan? (not through a credit union due to potential halachic issues - and no Im not looking to start a debate)
Credit unions have a good rate.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »

Credit unions have a good rate.
see latter part of my question. Yes I'm aware but i will try to avoid CUs. Bank of America is offering 3.79%. I'm wondering if i can beat that anywhere

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile

Offline Spoon

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2022, 11:12:55 PM »

Try PNC