Author Topic: 27 Hours in Hawaii(HNL), What should I do??  (Read 5741 times)

Offline yhakak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: 27 Hours in Hawaii(HNL), What should I do??
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
I would only recommend it if you are a serious history buff or if you are anyway spending a week on Oahu.

fair enough, but IIRC there's very little to do on Oahu other than go to the beach and stuff like pineapple factories, macadamia nuts, etc...if you have the time to go to Hilo you can see the volcanoes, which is pretty cool...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
I take pride in my short trips around the world. Due to my busy schedule year round that's what I'm limited to. After Pesach I went to San Francisco for 27 hours.

Now I'm giving Hawaii the chance it deserves, getting in Sunday afternoon to HNL and leaving Monday evening.

What should I do, some suggestions , PLEASE!!!!!!!
Unless you spill the beans on what you like doing it'll be hard to come up with suggestions.
And sticking with Oahu won't give you any Hawaiian experience, but going to another island will cut your time down even more.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 12:26:38 PM »
fair enough, but IIRC there's very little to do on Oahu other than go to the beach and stuff like pineapple factories, macadamia nuts, etc...if you have the time to go to Hilo you can see the volcanoes, which is pretty cool...
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6045

The activities on the east side of the Big Island isn't a bad idea for a day, though hardly a lush Hawaiian experience.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dhalpern1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Priority Club Platinum Elite
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »
Unless you spill the beans on what you like doing it'll be hard to come up with suggestions.
And sticking with Oahu won't give you any Hawaiian experience, but going to another island will cut your time down even more.

Ha, when i said this before, I was accused of trolling.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
Ha, when i said this before, I was accused of trolling.
It really depends on what you're into.  Every island will have great beaches, including quiet ones if you know where to look.

-If you want to jetski+kayak+snorkel then just stick with HNL.
-If you want to see your most incredible sunset/sunrise+volcanoes erupting+hike past eruptions+swim in volcanically heated lava pools but do all that in a cooler/rainier climate with little natural beauty stick to ITO.
-If you want to drive/hike among hundreds of waterfalls+whale watch in the winter stick with OGG.
-If you want to see a stunning Hawaii that's less touristy than OGG and has incredible hiking and a pristine quiet beach that goes on for miles stick with LIH.

Haven't made it to Molokai or Lanai, can't comment on those.

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
It really depends on what you're into.  Every island will have great beaches, including quiet ones if you know where to look.

-If you want to jetski+kayak+snorkel then just stick with HNL.
-If you want to see your most incredible sunset/sunrise+volcanoes erupting+hike past eruptions+swim in volcanically heated lava pools but do all that in a cooler/rainier climate with little natural beauty stick to ITO.
-If you want to drive/hike among hundreds of waterfalls+whale watch in the winter stick with OGG.
-If you want to see a stunning Hawaii that's less touristy than OGG and has incredible hiking and a pristine quiet beach that goes on for miles stick with LIH.

Haven't made it to Molokai or Lanai, can't comment on those.

Thanks for the response, I find it very hard to know exactly what to do, until I do it, the one thing is for sure that im not a historian. :)

But because i am limited to only HNL, I'll take your advice and go for the snorkel, jetski,kayak route.
Is there a specific place that you would suggest for these activities?
Also how would you compare the snorkelling in HNL to the scuba diving in Eilat (which i have done last year)?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6045

Snorkeling at Hanauma will be better than Eilat, though it's not as good as on the other islands.

Offline yhakak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
Thanks for the response, I find it very hard to know exactly what to do, until I do it, the one thing is for sure that im not a historian. :)

But because i am limited to only HNL, I'll take your advice and go for the snorkel, jetski,kayak route.
Is there a specific place that you would suggest for these activities?
Also how would you compare the snorkelling in HNL to the scuba diving in Eilat (which i have done last year)?

+1
If history isn't your thing then give Pearl Harbor a pass.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »
+1
If history isn't your thing then give Pearl Harbor a pass.

Than again, Snorkling, scuba, jetski and kayak can be done anywhere while there is only one Pearl Harbor!!!