Author Topic: First / Business class with an infant or toddler  (Read 7294 times)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
First / Business class with an infant or toddler
« on: January 20, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »
Have you done it? Have you seen others do it?

Lets hear from all those who were affected when others have done it, and from all the parents who have done it while ignoring all the stares.

We are trying to decide whether to fly economy or business to Israel. My son will be 18 months old at that time I"yh.

We have the miles...convince me one way or another...

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: First / Business class with an infant or toddler
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »
just do it

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:49 AM »
just do it

Definetly do it. I do it about 10 times a year. There are usually at least 1 other baby in Business/First as well. The only bad experience that we had was on Swiss in First , where all of the people gave us serious attitude although the baby didnt make a peep the entire flight. Make sure to ask for an empty seat at check-in for the baby and they will usually (based on availability) try and accommodate you

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
Definetly do it. I do it about 10 times a year. There are usually at least 1 other baby in Business/First as well. The only bad experience that we had was on Swiss in First , where all of the people gave us serious attitude although the baby didnt make a peep the entire flight. Make sure to ask for an empty seat at check-in for the baby and they will usually (based on availability) try and accommodate you

You really think they would give an empty seat to my son over upgrading someone else? Even when my ticket is an award ticket?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:59 AM »
I say go for it as well, but don't forget that you will be paying $$$ for first class taxes for the baby if you don't redeem miles for him.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »
You really think they would give an empty seat to my son over upgrading someone else? Even when my ticket is an award ticket?

If Economy is not overbooked they will not upgrade anybody. If there is a extra business seat empty, they will place you next to it. But they try to do the same if you fly economy and the flight is not full.
I also did it already in Swiss business, flight was full so we had to hold him the entire flight. In business, not so bad.
I do understand people getting upset in First. People pay close to 10000 Dollars to get a good nights sleep and have a small baby next to them? I think its not right for an airline to let little kids in to First. But as long as they let, its not your problem. I personally would never take my baby into first. Since I know people will be pissed, I would be way to nervous the entire flight, making sure he stays quite.

A guy once told me, if your baby cries, walk back to Economy and quite him down over there :-)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
If Economy is not overbooked they will not upgrade anybody. If there is a extra business seat empty, they will place you next to it. But they try to do the same if you fly economy and the flight is not full.
I also did it already in Swiss business, flight was full so we had to hold him the entire flight. In business, not so bad.
I do understand people getting upset in First. People pay close to 10000 Dollars to get a good nights sleep and have a small baby next to them? I think its not right for an airline to let little kids in to First. But as long as they let, its not your problem. I personally would never take my baby into first. Since I know people will be pissed, I would be way to nervous the entire flight, making sure he stays quite.

A guy once told me, if your baby cries, walk back to Economy and quite him down over there :-)

Im nervous he will be restless and want to move around, and i wont be able to hold him the whole time...i dont want to waste all the miles and $$$ for biz tickets if im not going to enjoy. Im thinking i should save the miles for when hes older and can just sit and watch a DVD the whole time. If we do it, it would be business class. But i see business class as the same as first class in the respect that people will be annoyed that they spent so much money on their ticket and are stuck next to a toddler.

I say go for it as well, but don't forget that you will be paying $$$ for first class taxes for the baby if you don't redeem miles for him.

Any clue what those are in biz class? is it even worth it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »
10% of the paid price for the ticket.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
Im nervous he will be restless and want to move around, and i wont be able to hold him the whole time...i dont want to waste all the miles and $$$ for biz tickets if im not going to enjoy. Im thinking i should save the miles for when hes older and can just sit and watch a DVD the whole time. If we do it, it would be business class. But i see business class as the same as first class in the respect that people will be annoyed that they spent so much money on their ticket and are stuck next to a toddler.

Maybe you'll get lucky and First will be empty and you'll have the whole cabin to yourselves.. that was the case on the 3 of my last 4 flights. A baby typically costs $300-$500 R/T in First Class, though there were rumors that CX was raising the fare for an infant considerably

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
If he is 18 month, then its one of the worst time to fly with. If you will not enjoy it in business anyway, why bother spending the money. The seat is wider, but you will be very nervous. Were in Eco u will not care that much. Price in BUsiness depends. Some Frequent flyer programms (miles and more...) you only pay the taxes. Others will charge you 10%, since you are on a miles ticket they will not charge 10% from the miles but 10% of a full fare ticket. Flying business to Israel that can be 500 Dollars plus taxes. Can cost easy 700-800 Dollars. Might be worth flying eco and taking that money to pay for a seat for him! Thats what I did last time. I was chilled, he was.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
Im nervous he will be restless and want to move around, and i wont be able to hold him the whole time...i dont want to waste all the miles and $$$ for biz tickets if im not going to enjoy. Im thinking i should save the miles for when hes older and can just sit and watch a DVD the whole time. If we do it, it would be business class. But i see business class as the same as first class in the respect that people will be annoyed that they spent so much money on their ticket and are stuck next to a tod

You can save the miles for when he's older, IF YOU'RE JUST PLANNING ON HAVING 'ONE' ;)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:11:11 PM »
If he is 18 month, then its one of the worst time to fly with. If you will not enjoy it in business anyway, why bother spending the money. The seat is wider, but you will be very nervous. Were in Eco u will not care that much. Price in Business depends. Some Frequent flyer programms (miles and more...) you only pay the taxes. Others will charge you 10%, since you are on a miles ticket they will not charge 10% from the miles but 10% of a full fare ticket. Flying business to Israel that can be 500 Dollars plus taxes. Can cost easy 700-800 Dollars. Might be worth flying eco and taking that money to pay for a seat for him! Thats what I did last time. I was chilled, he was.

Yeah, im definitely not paying for a seat for him:) I haven't been to Israel in a few years...are most of the flights usually booked solid? It probably depends on the time of year..we are flying out the day after pesach so we may be with all the yeshiva guys/ seminary girls going back which means it may be full.

Maybe you'll get lucky and First will be empty and you'll have the whole cabin to yourselves.. that was the case on the 3 of my last 4 flights. A baby typically costs $300-$500 R/T in First Class, though there were rumors that CX was raising the fare for an infant considerably

That was going to Israel, the first cabin was empty? We are for sure not going first class...either business or economy. I don't think it makes sense to spend the $500 on his ticket and then get stuck in a full business cabin with no empty seats and a cranky 18 month old...I mean hes generally a good kid, but on a long flight like that, i don't think he'll even be able to fall asleep..

Anyone ever travel on such a long flight with a kid that age? We flew domestic with him and put him in a car seat and he fell asleep...how do we get him to fall asleep on such a long flight now that hes older? Any advice?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
You could also request a bassinet in coach or business...but will your kid fit?

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
I WOULD ASK FOR A BASINET SO YOU WILL GET THE FIRST RAW THAT HAS SOME EVEN MORE ROOM BUT I WOULD PUT HIM TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF ME

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »

So i was just looking for info on that ...i guess it depends on the airline...Some say up to 18 months, some say up to 10 months, some limit by weight and some limit by length...

I WOULD PUT HIM TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR IN FRONT OF ME

Easier said than done:)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »
This is pretty long, but seems to have a lot of good info on the topic of flying with children (for those who come across this post) http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

If i wanted to get him a seat in economy, i assume i would be charged the same amount of miles as an adult, right?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
If i wanted to get him a seat in economy, i assume i would be charged the same amount of miles as an adult, right?
Correct, but if you didn't get him a seat you'd only pay coach taxes (approx $100-$200) instead of business taxes (approx $300-$500)

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
I flew with my kid when he was 18 month. It really depends on alot of things. What time is the flight, what kind of sleeper is he... But the day after pessach you very rarely have an empty seat. You will never be able to put a 18 month old in a basinett. He is much to big. Even if he fits, he will be squeezed and will not be comfortable. Most airlines will not let you put the kid on the floor even if its allowed. I had quite a few arguments with the head stewards on planes about it. Even if u r allowed, most will say no and u cant argue. My advice even if it costs a little more, fly economy and with the money you save buy a seat for him. You will all be much happier

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
they only offer bassinets up to 12 months of age

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
So i was just looking for info on that ...i guess it depends on the airline...Some say up to 18 months, some say up to 10 months, some limit by weight and some limit by length...

Easier said than done:)
my wife arrived today to israel on US AIR in B class with our 18 month old, she enjoyd every minute of it