Author Topic: Europe trip report pessach 5772  (Read 12336 times)

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Europe trip report pessach 5772
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
We're 6 friends, men only.. going to Europe for a week, we're already set with which cites we're gonna visit. The only part of the trip that's still undecided is where we should spend Shabbos?

Which city would be most interesting to just walk around Shabbos? And of course food is also a very important factor.. Which city has the combination of both?

Thanks in advance!

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
I would do Zurich, but Paris is nice too
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8015
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »
We're 6 friends, men only.. going to Europe for a week, we're already set with which cites we're gonna visit. The only part of the trip that's still undecided is where we should spend Shabbos?

Which city would be most interesting to just walk around Shabbos? And of course food is also a very important factor.. Which city has the combination of both?

Thanks in advance!
Venice hands down. (Unless Paris is an option)
I would do Zurich, but Paris is nice too
Really Zurich over Venice to walk around?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 01:02:41 AM »
Venice without a doubt.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:24 AM »
Thanks all! Venice was originally on the plan, but it would mean to much travel. We're gonna be Friday in Poland/Hungary area, hence we were considering Krakow or Budapest. Any suggestions on these cities?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
Thanks all! Venice was originally on the plan, but it would mean to much travel. We're gonna be Friday in Poland/Hungary area, hence we were considering Krakow or Budapest. Any suggestions on these cities?
Budapest for sure. Krakow has great kosher food but is a bore to walk around compared to Budapest which is magnificent to walk around. The shluchim in Budapest was very helpful I am sure they offer meals. Call them before he may know of cheap apartments in the area to rent IIRC he rented a few himself, they may be full though. There is also a great synogogue across the street from chabad not sure what the deal is with minyanim of shabbos though. (You can walk the Whole krakow in 30 min. Budapest you can probably spend almost 2 days but it's still all walking distance from chabad which is obviously great.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:25:54 AM by jj1000 »

Offline Bp

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:01 AM »
Budapest.. The Carmel restaurant has great food, don't go to the hanna its old and run down, I stayed at the La meridian its a 10min walk from the jewish ghetto. 

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
You must not have a very high expectation for museum lovers on ddf after all I am only one person...
Yup, I get the impression that 85-90% people on DDF don't care much for museums.
Thanks for the advice on the MET I checked it out last week and had a great time, the armor collection was very cool :). I've been in New York a lot but never did the museums so thanks for getting me started hopefully I'll cover most of them by the end of the summer. :)
Glad to hear! NYC is home to a bunch of great museums. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_and_cultural_institutions_in_New_York_City

Make sure you don't miss
*The Jewish Museum (92nd st in Manhattan)
*Museum of Jewish Heritage - A living Memorial to the Holocaust.
*The Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum
And might as well check out the Brooklyn Museum on Eastern Parkway right near CH. They're open till 9pm on Thursday (I think).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:47:59 PM by Avid Reader »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
The museum of dutch resistance, can you elaborate a bit more about it? thanks

Offline Chai

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
Im planning a trip from NY to, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, and Switzerland August 12th - Sept 3 A- what is the best Route from NY to the above cities, which first andbwhich last? Any airline specials? Best credit card to use? B- Anyone have an itinerary they can forward me of ideas? Hotels? Kosher Restaurants? Recomendations? C- what's the most beautiful city in Switzerland? D- which cities should we spend shabbos in ( area and hotel) we are 2 girls vacationing. Thanks a million. Feel free to message me! Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Any other must see beautiful and fun cities in the area?
Be nice to me, I'm new to this forum :)
Thanks!! Chai

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:35 AM »
The museum of dutch resistance, can you elaborate a bit more about it? thanks
It's a self guided tour style. Very interesting stuff, mostly trying to show that the dutch were always pro jews and hated nazi's it'd take a good 3 hours to give it justice. A bit dry for my taste though 1 hour was enough for me and I really enjoyed it. Has lots of props, videos, and articles.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »
Im planning a trip from NY to, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, and Switzerland August 12th - Sept 3 A- what is the best Route from NY to the above cities, which first andbwhich last? Any airline specials? Best credit card to use? B- Anyone have an itinerary they can forward me of ideas? Hotels? Kosher Restaurants? Recomendations? C- what's the most beautiful city in Switzerland? D- which cities should we spend shabbos in ( area and hotel) we are 2 girls vacationing. Thanks a million. Feel free to message me! Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Any other must see beautiful and fun cities in the area?
Be nice to me, I'm new to this forum :)
Thanks!! Chai
I'll try to answer some of your questions. (my laptop just broke so I don't have as much patience on mobile) sapphire preferred is the best cc to use. How choroid you skip venice?! It's better than any city in switzerland. Do you drive or only train is an option? PM Whyaich about tickets he should be able to get you the cheapest economy fare. Do you have any airline miles or hotel points?  Art first glance id suggest flying into prague then to vienna down through switzerland to italy and then fly to amsterdam on ryan air or the sort. Fly back to ny from amsterdam. Are those locations a must or you are looking for suggestions of other cities to visit also?

Eta- ignore my last question I reread your post. I assume you read my report. Correct? What did you think of my itinerary?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:01:44 AM by jj1000 »

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
Very interesting stuff, mostly trying to show that the dutch were always pro jews and hated nazi's

That's why I personally hate the place. It's total BS. It's a museum made by the dutch ppl to make themselves feel better about the holocaust. Dutch ppl were willing to rat out jews to the nazi's for a couple of 'guldens'. A grandfather of a classmate of mine in high-school went trough the war. He was paying ppl to hide under their house. When his money was finished they told him they would tell the nazi's where he was cause he wasn't paying them anymore. I always get extremely frustrated when ppl tell me about the good nature of the dutch ppl during the war. Especially when they use the Anne Frank story to prove their point. Don't ppl know that she and her whole family were murdered (except her father) precisely because they were rat out.

If you want to see a real exhibit about the holocaust in amsterdam go The 'Hollandsche Schouwburg'. Besides being a much better and true museum( surprise: it's made by jews) it's also the place were they rounded up all the amsterdam jews during the war. It has an memorial with ALL the names of ppl deported and murdered from amsterdam. It's a place where I can not but cry when I see names of ppl's parents and grand parents a grew up with.

lhttp://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en

You can buy a combined ticket for the 'Hollandsche schouwburg', jewish museum and the old  Portuguese shul (which wasn't mentioned in the OP trip report but is a must) here:

http://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en/visit/admission

I believe 12 euro for all of them is a good price even though I must be honest and tell you that I don't know their individual prices. Amsterdam is a small community where most ppl know each other on first name basis so I have never actually paid for any of those.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

If you want to see a real exhibit about the holocaust in amsterdam go The 'Hollandsche Schouwburg'. Besides being a much better and true museum( surprise: it's made by jews) it's also the place were they rounded up all the amsterdam jews during the war. It has an memorial with ALL the names of ppl deported and murdered from amsterdam. It's a place where I can not but cry when I see names of ppl's parents and grand parents a grew up with.

You can buy a combined ticket for the 'Hollandsche schouwburg', jewish museum and the old  Portuguese shul (which wasn't mentioned in the OP trip report but is a must) here:

I believe 12 euro for all of them is a good price even though I must be honest and tell you that I don't know their individual prices. Amsterdam is a small community where most ppl know each other on first name basis so I have never actually paid for any of those.
He mentioned it just want very impressed after seeing the shul in florence. From the op " The old shul is included in the Jood museum ticket so may as well go see it but its nothing to special, just old." Also I believe the museum you mentioned is also called the jood museum. Right? It's was nice. The top floor did have a holocaust display forgot to mention that...

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
That's why I personally hate the place. It's total BS. It's a museum made by the dutch ppl to make themselves feel better about the holocaust. Dutch ppl were willing to rat out jews to the nazi's for a couple of 'guldens'. A grandfather of a classmate of mine in high-school went trough the war. He was paying ppl to hide under their house. When his money was finished they told him they would tell the nazi's where he was cause he wasn't paying them anymore. I always get extremely frustrated when ppl tell me about the good nature of the dutch ppl during the war. Especially when they use the Anne Frank story to prove their point. Don't ppl know that she and her whole family were murdered (except her father) precisely because they were rat out.

exactly what i was thinking.
i actually just read that in amsterdam where they saved ~20% of their jews, theres 2 monuments to the resistance
but in denmark, where they saved 97%, there are none...