Author Topic: Europe trip report pessach 5772  (Read 18948 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Europe trip report pessach 5772
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
Thanks all! Venice was originally on the plan, but it would mean to much travel. We're gonna be Friday in Poland/Hungary area, hence we were considering Krakow or Budapest. Any suggestions on these cities?
Budapest for sure. Krakow has great kosher food but is a bore to walk around compared to Budapest which is magnificent to walk around. The shluchim in Budapest was very helpful I am sure they offer meals. Call them before he may know of cheap apartments in the area to rent IIRC he rented a few himself, they may be full though. There is also a great synogogue across the street from chabad not sure what the deal is with minyanim of shabbos though. (You can walk the Whole krakow in 30 min. Budapest you can probably spend almost 2 days but it's still all walking distance from chabad which is obviously great.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:25:54 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Bp

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 01:37:01 AM »
Budapest.. The Carmel restaurant has great food, don't go to the hanna its old and run down, I stayed at the La meridian its a 10min walk from the jewish ghetto. 

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
You must not have a very high expectation for museum lovers on ddf after all I am only one person...
Yup, I get the impression that 85-90% people on DDF don't care much for museums.
Thanks for the advice on the MET I checked it out last week and had a great time, the armor collection was very cool :). I've been in New York a lot but never did the museums so thanks for getting me started hopefully I'll cover most of them by the end of the summer. :)
Glad to hear! NYC is home to a bunch of great museums. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_and_cultural_institutions_in_New_York_City

Make sure you don't miss
*The Jewish Museum (92nd st in Manhattan)
*Museum of Jewish Heritage - A living Memorial to the Holocaust.
*The Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum
And might as well check out the Brooklyn Museum on Eastern Parkway right near CH. They're open till 9pm on Thursday (I think).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:47:59 PM by Avid Reader »

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
The museum of dutch resistance, can you elaborate a bit more about it? thanks

Offline Chai

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
Im planning a trip from NY to, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, and Switzerland August 12th - Sept 3 A- what is the best Route from NY to the above cities, which first andbwhich last? Any airline specials? Best credit card to use? B- Anyone have an itinerary they can forward me of ideas? Hotels? Kosher Restaurants? Recomendations? C- what's the most beautiful city in Switzerland? D- which cities should we spend shabbos in ( area and hotel) we are 2 girls vacationing. Thanks a million. Feel free to message me! Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Any other must see beautiful and fun cities in the area?
Be nice to me, I'm new to this forum :)
Thanks!! Chai

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:35 AM »
The museum of dutch resistance, can you elaborate a bit more about it? thanks
It's a self guided tour style. Very interesting stuff, mostly trying to show that the dutch were always pro jews and hated nazi's it'd take a good 3 hours to give it justice. A bit dry for my taste though 1 hour was enough for me and I really enjoyed it. Has lots of props, videos, and articles.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 01:58:19 AM »
Im planning a trip from NY to, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, and Switzerland August 12th - Sept 3 A- what is the best Route from NY to the above cities, which first andbwhich last? Any airline specials? Best credit card to use? B- Anyone have an itinerary they can forward me of ideas? Hotels? Kosher Restaurants? Recomendations? C- what's the most beautiful city in Switzerland? D- which cities should we spend shabbos in ( area and hotel) we are 2 girls vacationing. Thanks a million. Feel free to message me! Any and all recommendations are welcome!
Any other must see beautiful and fun cities in the area?
Be nice to me, I'm new to this forum :)
Thanks!! Chai
I'll try to answer some of your questions. (my laptop just broke so I don't have as much patience on mobile) sapphire preferred is the best cc to use. How choroid you skip venice?! It's better than any city in switzerland. Do you drive or only train is an option? PM Whyaich about tickets he should be able to get you the cheapest economy fare. Do you have any airline miles or hotel points?  Art first glance id suggest flying into prague then to vienna down through switzerland to italy and then fly to amsterdam on ryan air or the sort. Fly back to ny from amsterdam. Are those locations a must or you are looking for suggestions of other cities to visit also?

Eta- ignore my last question I reread your post. I assume you read my report. Correct? What did you think of my itinerary?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:01:44 AM by jj1000 »

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »
Very interesting stuff, mostly trying to show that the dutch were always pro jews and hated nazi's

That's why I personally hate the place. It's total BS. It's a museum made by the dutch ppl to make themselves feel better about the holocaust. Dutch ppl were willing to rat out jews to the nazi's for a couple of 'guldens'. A grandfather of a classmate of mine in high-school went trough the war. He was paying ppl to hide under their house. When his money was finished they told him they would tell the nazi's where he was cause he wasn't paying them anymore. I always get extremely frustrated when ppl tell me about the good nature of the dutch ppl during the war. Especially when they use the Anne Frank story to prove their point. Don't ppl know that she and her whole family were murdered (except her father) precisely because they were rat out.

If you want to see a real exhibit about the holocaust in amsterdam go The 'Hollandsche Schouwburg'. Besides being a much better and true museum( surprise: it's made by jews) it's also the place were they rounded up all the amsterdam jews during the war. It has an memorial with ALL the names of ppl deported and murdered from amsterdam. It's a place where I can not but cry when I see names of ppl's parents and grand parents a grew up with.

lhttp://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en

You can buy a combined ticket for the 'Hollandsche schouwburg', jewish museum and the old  Portuguese shul (which wasn't mentioned in the OP trip report but is a must) here:

http://www.hollandscheschouwburg.nl/en/visit/admission

I believe 12 euro for all of them is a good price even though I must be honest and tell you that I don't know their individual prices. Amsterdam is a small community where most ppl know each other on first name basis so I have never actually paid for any of those.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »

If you want to see a real exhibit about the holocaust in amsterdam go The 'Hollandsche Schouwburg'. Besides being a much better and true museum( surprise: it's made by jews) it's also the place were they rounded up all the amsterdam jews during the war. It has an memorial with ALL the names of ppl deported and murdered from amsterdam. It's a place where I can not but cry when I see names of ppl's parents and grand parents a grew up with.

You can buy a combined ticket for the 'Hollandsche schouwburg', jewish museum and the old  Portuguese shul (which wasn't mentioned in the OP trip report but is a must) here:

I believe 12 euro for all of them is a good price even though I must be honest and tell you that I don't know their individual prices. Amsterdam is a small community where most ppl know each other on first name basis so I have never actually paid for any of those.
He mentioned it just want very impressed after seeing the shul in florence. From the op " The old shul is included in the Jood museum ticket so may as well go see it but it’s nothing to special, just old." Also I believe the museum you mentioned is also called the jood museum. Right? It's was nice. The top floor did have a holocaust display forgot to mention that...

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »
That's why I personally hate the place. It's total BS. It's a museum made by the dutch ppl to make themselves feel better about the holocaust. Dutch ppl were willing to rat out jews to the nazi's for a couple of 'guldens'. A grandfather of a classmate of mine in high-school went trough the war. He was paying ppl to hide under their house. When his money was finished they told him they would tell the nazi's where he was cause he wasn't paying them anymore. I always get extremely frustrated when ppl tell me about the good nature of the dutch ppl during the war. Especially when they use the Anne Frank story to prove their point. Don't ppl know that she and her whole family were murdered (except her father) precisely because they were rat out.

exactly what i was thinking.
i actually just read that in amsterdam where they saved ~20% of their jews, theres 2 monuments to the resistance
but in denmark, where they saved 97%, there are none...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
exactly what i was thinking.
i actually just read that in amsterdam where they saved ~20% of their jews, theres 2 monuments to the resistance
but in denmark, where they saved 97%, there are none...
like! Well put.

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 03:58:18 PM »
He mentioned it just want very impressed after seeing the shul in florence. From the op " The old shul is included in the Jood museum ticket so may as well go see it but it’s nothing to special, just old." Also I believe the museum you mentioned is also called the jood museum. Right? It's was nice. The top floor did have a holocaust display forgot to mention that...

Sorry, my bad. When you wrote 'old shul' I assumed you referred to the 'jewish historic museum' which in Amsterdam we call 'the old shul. (Long story. I'm not going to bore you with that) The Portuguese synagogue we call the 'Snoge'. It's still a little unclear to me which shul you referred to since there are a couple of old shul in that area. Some are museums some are not. But I agree that the shul in Florence is absolutely gorgeous.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
I'm going to add pictures for each city, cuz well I'm bored at the moment.

We shall start with Amsterdam:

Maritime Museum

Train station

On a free ferry to the eye museum.

Funny buoys.

If you wondered how  450 year old city looks so new. This guy paints the bricks!

A mall.

Same mall.

Inside the mall.

Mall.

View from mall window.

Line to Anne Frank house.

The shul's treasure room.

Ancient kosher megila

Etc.

Royal Palace

Palace room.

Palace room.

Still in the Palace Moses and the 70 Elders.

House boat.

ETA- Amsterdam to me was like a best of all the cities I visited on my trip and was a great city to end my trip. It has the beautiful canals of Venice, museums that can rival Florence, and classic Dutch architecture dating back to the 1600’s, that does not even come close to the architecture of Prague, but is unique in the sense that you won’t see such beautiful buildings of this style anywhere else. The first thing we did was buy a three day unlimited tram, bus, and subway pass for 16 euro. The transit system is phenomenal in this city. Next we bought the yearly museum pass good for nearly all major museums in the Netherlands for 45 euro, and it lasts an entire year. It was well worth it because we would have spent more than that just our 1st day (most museums are either 14 or 8 euro)! I will list the museums in order of what I liked. The Van Gogh museum has the biggest collection of Van Gough paintings in the world. I am biased towards Van Gogh partially because his bedroom is probably my favorite painting all time. None the less him and his contemporaries made undisputedly some of the most mesmerizing paintings in history. Be sure to see all the floors, I almost skipped the basement exhibit which is one of the most moving art displays I ever walked through, it puts you in a different world of nature, truly amazing. Next is the Rijksmuseum with great paintings of mainly Dutch origin, do not miss the the nacht vatch is the most famous art display in Holland, it features Rembrandts largest and most famous work. The maritime museum is a GREAT museum for kids and adults alike with a pirate ship to walk through, and tons of other exhibits you can easily spend 2 hours here and not get bored. The Royal palace is only open when the queen is not there with foreign dignitaries. Be sure to check that its open before you go. The palace is exactly what you would expect, ornately decorated rooms and hallways. This comes with a free audio tour which is suggested being that there aren’t any signs as to what things are. The museum of resistance is all about the Dutch resisting the Nazis in WWII and about the Jews in WWII. It takes a good hour and half to do, I unfortunately didn’t have that much time but it was very interesting none the less. The Museum Geelvinck is an old Dutch house that is open to the public to walk through. It consists of a coach house and a main house with 6 different exquisite rooms. The thing I like most about this museum is you can sit on most of the furniture and it is just really relaxing to be in. If you need a place to chill for a bit and take in some of the most beautiful granite you’ll see in a house, this is your place. The Jood museum had some interesting artifacts. Especially a very beautiful megilah with illustrations on every column. The old shul is included in the Jood museum ticket so may as well go see it but it’s nothing to special, just old. The Foam museum was interesting and nice to walk through seeing the many different photo journalism displays. Not one of my favorite places though. The van loom museum is nice but a bit to regular type of art for my taste although the house it is in is quite nice to see. The Allard Pierson museum was a bit lame. It had a bunch of old objects from Egypt and Greece which I have seen a thousand different places before. If you are into artifacts from those times you may enjoy it otherwise don’t bother. The hermitage museum was the worst museum we went to on our trip. It was extremely plain mostly portraits and Christian paintings really advise not to bother going there. The Stejdlik museum was closed but they had a temporary space with 3 film exhibitions. No point in going until the full museum reopens. The Anne Frank house has massive lines if you plan on going make a reservation before through heir website. I do not see the big excitement about the house but that’s personal feelings so I won’t get into it. The Diamond museum was a total waste of time. The most fun thing we did our entire trip must have been renting a paddle boat and driving the canals for 2 hours. We were having so much fun discovering birds’ nests with eggs in them and waving to everyone, the people of Amsterdam are so nice. The flower market is nice I bought a beautiful orchid for my host there. The kosher  sandwich store sal-meijer has extremely unique tasting meats being that they are all handmade by the owner. He also has stupendous mustard for the sandwiches and mayo for the fries. I am completely sold on the mayo and fries concept. You must have a few sandwiches from here. The pizza shop Pizza co. had pretty good pizza nothing amazing but nice to have fresh good pizza while traveling, also the fries were good. There is one main kosher grocery store and a kosher bakery, they both sell Sheffa yogurt which is the most amazing yogurt/breakfast food I have ever had! It has fresh fruit in the bottom and delicious yogurt on top. This is an absolute must have! The food I tried at the bakery was pretty awful, although a loaf of bread was cheap and good for sandwiches. I did not go on the tour of the Heineken factory because it was 17 euro and didn’t seem even close to worth that price. Instead I tried a local brew in a bar called IJ brewery it was a very good beer. Also a must have while you’re in Holland is jonge jenever which is just gin, but I have had gin in America and it tastes nothing like this stuff which is delicious.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:01:37 PM by jj1000 »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Lake Como:

Lake Como- Beautiful Lake at the foothills of the Alps. I wish I could have spent more than a few hours here. Seems like a really nice place to spend 3 or 4 days just boating and exploring the lakes and rivers in front of the Alps. Amazing views of the lake, alps, and city of Como from on top of the mountains you can just drive up any of the roads, I think most of them are residential, when the road gets to narrow and steep just walk the rest of the way up as far as the road goes and take in the scenery I did this at sunset and the view was absolutely breathtaking.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:02:08 PM by jj1000 »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
Rome:

Beautiful Tuscan country side.

Random village on the edge of a mountain.

So many dominoes ;)

A pretty great shul, from what I hear.

Random ruins all over the city.

They had a Forum we have a Forum :))

Inside the Coliseum.

See the rainbow?

An old prison maybe?

I made sure everyone knew this was Rashi's opinion and Chabad paskins like the Rambam in this case, an easy explanation is that it was a random lap which there were many of.

The Senate

Rome- Any history buff like me will automatically love Rome there is so much there Jewish history and non-Jewish history it was very neat seeing all these places in person. 1st of all if you go to rome and don’t wait for the guided tour of the synagogue (you can only see it with a tour guide unless during minyanim which I believe are daily) your crazy. It is the most elaborate, ornate and grand synagogue I have ever seen it puts every modern day shul to shame (Others say it looks like a church a don’t like it).The coliseum is very cool to walk in and explore. It is much better from the inside then out. We also went to the arch of Titus which is included in the pass to the coliseum. Of course we saw the menorah (and informed everyone around us that it’s not the real meorah but rather just a lamp . Baghetto Pizza was very good pizza and an even nicer owner he gave us about a dozen pitta breads for our trip back to Poland for practically nothing. In general seeing all the ruins and old bridges etc is very neat. Also we climbed to the top of a mountain across the coliseum and had an amazing view of rome. Parking was very cheap once we found a spot. There are many kosher restaurants all mainly in the Jewish ghetto.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:02:43 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »
Wow! great pics! I guess we are all lucky that:

...well I'm bored at the moment.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »
Florence:

Museum lines.

Random statues all over the city.

hhhmmmm wonder where that came from?

Famous Ponte Vecchio Bridge.

Florence- A beautiful city. Some would call it the art capitol of the world. There is no full time shliach only on Shabbos and tourist season. There is a kosher restaurant called Ruth’s and around the corner a kosher market that sells sandwiches and sometimes pizza (hechsher?). Didn’t eat at either so I can’t report on the food. The 3 most famous museums are the Uffizi, pitti, and achedamia. I was fortunate to get there for culture week when every museum in Italy is free so I am not sure about prices for these museums. Uffizi has more sculptures than I knew existed in the world. There were some notable ones that I am sure everyone knows from gemara and Jewish history so those are cool to see and put a name with a face. The ceiling is stunning too it is an amazing museum although a bit repetitive and long. Don’t get me wrong I would encourage everyone to go there it is really amazing how detailed and realistic these thousands of years old sculptures are. The Pitti is a modern art museum, (do not be confused with the modern art of nowadays when they say modern they mean the time period of the the 1800’s). The art was very nice. The whole museum can probably be done in 30 min. maybe stretched out to an hour in general I always skip portraits because they bore me to death. The museum Achedamia is one of the reasons I went to Florence to see Michelangelo’s famous David. David definitely lived up to expectations it was the most beautiful sculpture I have ever seen in my life and this is after seeing about 500 at the Uffizi. The rest of the city is just plain pretty with a river flowing through the middle random sculptures all over and a ton more museums which I unfortunately did not have time to see… The Ponte Vecchio Bridge is famous nice walk but nothing to special in my opinion, just a ton of expensive jewelry I will never buy. Parking is a bit hard to find but it’s not too expensive once you do. The Portuguese shul is right next to the kosher places and is stunning definitely a must see. The leather market is very neat. There is one vender who is in love with Jews especially if you are wearing a yalmuka. He literally sold me stuff 30 euro cheaper than everyone else even with bargaining. You may need to shmooz with him but it’s worth it. IIRC His name is Marko just ask for him, he is the one that loves Israel. There may be 2 leather markets so make sure you are at the one closest to the Uffizi museum. There is also an antique market but it’s not nearly as large and varied as the one in Warsaw. I wish I had more time for other museums in Florence. I heard there is an amazing museum full of different types of war armors. Next time…

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
Budapest:

Museum.

It's like Pittsburgh only different.

Under construction since 1.

Door knocker.

Cities archives.

Very clean and serene city, Especially on the mountain overlooking the city. Just walking around was like in another universe with all the people so happy and calm. Very beautiful buildings bridges etc.  The chabad has a receptionist whom was very helpful, the shliach was also very kind and got us a 3 course lunch (granted it was pessach not sure if they offer that every day). . Parking is cheap but make sure you feed the meter, they will tow you here as fast as Prague will put a boot on. The old city across the river is so serene I could not get enough of it. Unlike Prague whichwas packed off rushing tourists this was so peaceful and relaxing. I walked along a brick wall that was at the edge of a mountain and just enjoyed the environment. There are many jaw dropping buildings to be seen. Although none of the museums looked to interesting.  There is the largest synagogue in Europe which is across the street from chabad. I would highly recommend Budapest as a one day trip.

Offline Mordy2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
Great TR and awesome pictures! Thank you so much!

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
My trip report for Switzerland and Venice is almost ready. What do you like, pictures? Videos? Short to the point, or long and detailed?