Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 184223 times)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #480 on: August 02, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »
Probably not.

The problem you face is that your account is with the Port Authority, so you will likely only be able to add PANYNJ-issued tags. The tags sold at AAA are either MTA or Thruway ones, which despite being serviced by the same Service Center, so they likely require different accounts. The AAA+new account route is likely the easiest way to assure a NY-issued tag.

The Port Authority charges that stupid $1 monthly fee because they can. The New York agencies are barred by state law from charging this fee, but the Port Authority requires that New Jersey pass a similar law for it to apply to them. And, since NJ started this nonsense long ago and charges its own monthly fee, there is no way that will happen.
well explained, thanks.

Can I walk into AAA and buy one and attach to current account? Then send first one back?
basically make a new account and send your old ones back.

And when you do reorder your new tags do not add any plans until you get your tags.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline smaxber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »
Easiest way to return tag?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 02:37:15 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/close_account_form.shtml

Print the first class return label from PayPal multi-order shipping..

Or this guy for $2.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=28357.msg2426367#msg2426367
I think your guy isn't doing it anymore. I tried him a few weeks ago, and he didn't respond.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
I think your guy isn't doing it anymore. I tried him a few weeks ago, and he didn't respond.
Instantlabel's works. Tell him myi sent you..

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #485 on: September 14, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
I know someone who has been raking up unpaid ezpass bills. He does not understand English well. Is there a service that can help him settle with ezpass?

Or what is the best way to fight to remove all the extra charges?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline Spoon

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 14, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »
I know someone who has been raking up unpaid ezpass bills. He does not understand English well. Is there a service that can help him settle with ezpass?

Or what is the best way to fight to remove all the extra charges?

If you call them they’ll often waive the extra violation fees

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #487 on: September 18, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »
Need some help my 85 year old grandmother got a letter in the mail for an unpaid bill... It prob never scanned through... It's very unlikely that she ever made an online account they have been just taking money from her CC are these years. SO I took her ez pass and it is port authority.... But there is no online site for that and no way for me to register to NY or NJ? I can't get anyone on the phone as well

Offline Yitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 10, 2021, 03:09:41 PM »
I have EZ Passs for years maybe 10 years. Today I got a letter that I have to pay $89.00 for New Yprk State annual permit renewal plan. Anyone heard of this. This is the 1st time I got this.

Offline Onefishtwofish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
Where is the closest place to get a E-ZPass near crown heights?

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2021, 09:58:39 PM »
I have EZ Passs for years maybe 10 years. Today I got a letter that I have to pay $89.00 for New Yprk State annual permit renewal plan. Anyone heard of this. This is the 1st time I got this.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml#:~:text=Thruway%20Annual%20Permit%20Plan%3A
["-"]

Offline st1575

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2021, 10:42:53 PM »
Where is the closest place to get a E-ZPass near crown heights?

Check this list:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml

Offline st1575

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2021, 10:47:40 PM »
But there is no online site for that and no way for me to register to NY or NJ? I can't get anyone on the phone as well

A Port Authority tag is a NY tag, so you want this web site:

https://www.e-zpassny.com/

Click on "My Account" to get started

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 16, 2022, 09:24:23 AM »
1) Just looking at my bill - besides for the $1/month savings - is there any advantage of having a NY ezpass over NJ? From my understanding, you can get the same PASI plan discount on both, but the NJ Turnpike doesn’t give off-peak pricing unless you have NJ ezpass. If you travel the turnpike once a month off-peak you likely already saved more than a buck. Eg. Lakewood to American Dream off-peak you save $3.60 round trip.

2) For EV’s - comparing NY to NJ, seems like only useful NY discounts are $3 off-peak tunnels and 10% off the Thruway. However for NJ the GSP is 10% off for EV’s, while the NJ turnpike gives 10% discount on off-peak pricing, whether it’s peak hours or not. So for American Dream example above - EV with NJ tag saves $4.68 round trip compared to NY tag no matter when it is. Compared to non-EV with NJ tag you save $4.68 during peak hours, or $1.08 off peak.

Could be making some errors but that’s what I’ve found.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:50:55 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #494 on: March 16, 2022, 10:42:36 AM »
I currently have an MA EZPass which was free and has no monthly fees.

But I often fly into EWR and go into NYC.

Is it worth switching to an NJ/NY EZPass and if so which one?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline st1575

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 16, 2022, 01:13:11 PM »
I currently have an MA EZPass which was free and has no monthly fees.

But I often fly into EWR and go into NYC.

Is it worth switching to an NJ/NY EZPass and if so which one?

If you are crossing MTA-controlled NYC bridges and tunnels (Triboro, Henry Hudson, Queens-Midtown, Verrazzano, Whitestone, etc.), having a New York-issued EZPass can provide savings since out-of-state EZPass holders are charged the highest "tolls by mail"/ex-cash rate:

https://new.mta.info/fares-and-tolls/bridges-and-tunnels/tolls-by-vehicle/cars

There are three issuers for the New York service center. The small hiccup on fees is that a Port Authority tag will incur the $1 monthly fee;  the other NY issuers (MTA and Thruway Authority) are forbidden to charge this by NY state law. I have a PANYNJ tag, but I think I am saving much more than $12 a year so the pain of getting a different NY tag is not worth my time. This thread has advice on how to get a tag from a different NY issuer if you care.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #496 on: March 16, 2022, 01:17:44 PM »
Sounds like I want an EZPass from MTA or Thruway Authority.
Pros and cons of each?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline st1575

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 16, 2022, 01:59:38 PM »
Sounds like I want an EZPass from MTA or Thruway Authority.
Pros and cons of each?

As far as I know, there is effectively no difference for you. The NY service center is going to assign you to one of the agencies using whatever esoteric algorithm is in use.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 16, 2022, 05:19:24 PM »
As far as I know, there is effectively no difference for you. The NY service center is going to assign you to one of the agencies using whatever esoteric algorithm is in use.
Where can I order one?

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.