Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182623 times)

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #560 on: July 07, 2022, 01:40:05 AM »
Photo of what?

They just want $$$.

The number of ppl in the car.
If you're in the carpool lane with nobody in the car and you claimed that there were 3ppl, you might be prosecuted for something. (Unless you state that you identify as 3 people - it's CA so it might work.)

Online WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2022, 10:41:45 AM »
The number of ppl in the car.
If you're in the carpool lane with nobody in the car and you claimed that there were 3ppl, you might be prosecuted for something. (Unless you state that you identify as 3 people - it's CA so it might work.)
What if you have tinted windows?

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Online WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »

Offline dealmaster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2022, 12:53:54 PM »
https://pix11.com/news/local-news/staten-island-family-denied-hov-lane-discount-because-of-ez-pass-camera/
Government agency living up to its well deserved reputation of complete incompetence and total apathy. If any gov agency were in the private sector they would have been bankrupt due to lack of customers yesterday. Very sad
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Online WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 07, 2022, 12:59:25 PM »
Government agency living up to its well deserved reputation of complete incompetence and total apathy. If any gov agency were in the private sector they would have been bankrupt due to lack of customers yesterday. Very sad
And we the people fall for this.

Offline WAM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 08, 2022, 08:38:13 AM »
And we the people fall for this.
It's our right

Online WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 19, 2022, 01:57:17 PM »
Car registration is irrelevant. NJ ezpass has a small discount on the turnpike. All NY ezpasses gives a discount on the MTA bridges and tunnels. I assume  you only want one? the Free NY E-ZPass is the way to go (you probably don't use much turnpike to make it worthwhile). You can pick one up physically from an MTA center or get it mailed to Brooklyn - (without adding any plans other than the standard) until after the account opens. Or get it mailed to NJ, but there will be a monthly fee
Link to sign up online?

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 05, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »
https://www.mypaybycar.com/driven-by-ezpass

Pay for gas using EZ Pass. Only in 1 town in Massachusetts for now. Might be interesting if this expands since it should code as travel instead of gas for those cards with higher travel bonus points categories.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »
I had a Brooklyn address and still got the PANJNY version with fees.
Same
So is there any rhyme or reason for who gets PANJNY and who gets MTA when ordering online?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 23, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »
I thought it depends on who you order it from - NY or NJ.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 23, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »
So is there any rhyme or reason for who gets PANJNY and who gets MTA when ordering online?
Beats me, but I haven't had the patience to close my account and do it again.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #572 on: May 23, 2023, 12:04:19 PM »
I thought it depends on who you order it from - NY or NJ.
Everyone in NY gets MTA?
Why did the posters above get PANJNY with a Brooklyn address? Did you guys also have an NJ address on it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 23, 2023, 12:09:54 PM »
Everyone in NY gets MTA?
Why did the posters above get PANJNY with a Brooklyn address? Did you guys also have an NJ address on it?
Not on that account.

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #574 on: May 23, 2023, 12:41:24 PM »
I believe best bet is picking one up from one of the OnTheGo locations.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/locations.shtml

This is the only way to get one without any fees guaranteed. Ask a friend to get one for you.

Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 23, 2023, 03:03:14 PM »
Everyone in NY gets MTA?

Used to be that choosing "pay per trip" (PPT) got you the MTA version, because they were the only ones that offered it. Just checked and seems now all NY EZ passes have the option

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 23, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
Everyone in NY gets MTA?

I could be wrong, bec. I just stay with my NY account - but I think you can order from each of the 2 issuing agencies separately.

https://www.ezpassnj.com

https://www.e-zpassny.com

Online mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 24, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
Everyone in NY gets MTA?

Did the posters above order on

https://www.ezpassnj.com

Or

https://www.e-zpassny.com

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 24, 2023, 03:29:03 PM »
Everyone in NY gets MTA?

get it mailed to Brooklyn - (without adding any plans other than the standard) until after the account opens.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 24, 2023, 03:33:17 PM »
get it mailed to Brooklyn - (without adding any plans other than the standard) until after the account opens.
@yelped @Realshlomo was that the reason you got the PANJNY version?