Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182586 times)

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
I believe you are referring to PASI.
PACP is the carpool plan.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml
Yes. That's what I meant. Will that plants will be available?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline googwallet

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2018, 01:52:11 PM »
Yes. That's what I meant. Will that plants will be available?
I believe so. I don't see any mention of it going away.

Offline Luvisrael

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 24, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »
Renting a car and went thru i ezpass in Pennsylvania, and for some reason it didn't read my tag. Who do I call?

Offline Zalmy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
Renting a car and went thru i ezpass in Pennsylvania, and for some reason it didn't read my tag. Who do I call?
You’re going to get a ticket in the mail and at that point you can contact them and tell them to just put it on your EZ pass and they won’t charge anything

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:29 PM »
You’re going to get a ticket in the mail and at that point you can contact them and tell them to just put it on your EZ pass and they won’t charge anything
are u sure it wont go thru Hertz, and I wont get hefty fees?

Offline Danny52857

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »
hertz will send you a bill for the actual toll cost, in addition to a $5.95 "convenience fee"

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #346 on: December 25, 2018, 12:48:22 AM »
hertz will send you a bill for the actual toll cost, in addition to a $5.95 "convenience fee"
+1
In Israel it’s like 50 shek

You might be able to call EZ pass and have it added to that license plate for that day, I remember doing something like that once. CMIIW
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 25, 2018, 01:32:22 AM »
+1

You might be able to call EZ pass and have it added to that license plate for that day, I remember doing something like that once. CMIIW
Some rentals in Israel don't charge any fees.

In israel you could add your CC to the car, but in the US, it usually won't work on rental.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 26, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
just called, platepass, who handles it told me if i send in ez pass statement showing some usage in rental period, they will waive the fee and just charge for tolls

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #349 on: December 26, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
Last time I rented I couldn't even add the plate to my account as I was already on another account.

Rented a few years back with enterprise and they send me a bill for toll (seemed like one place didn't read my tag) told enterprise I had ezpass and without asking for proof they removed their fee and just billed the toll

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #350 on: December 26, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »
+1

Some rentals in Israel don't charge any fees.

In israel you could add your CC to the car, but in the US, it usually won't work on rental.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
I have an extra tag on my ez-pass account that I would like to return since it's no longer needed. I can't find any info how to go about returning it. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2019, 09:00:44 AM »
I have an extra tag on my ez-pass account that I would like to return since it's no longer needed. I can't find any info how to go about returning it. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.
In case anyone needs this, this is what they responded:
Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #353 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »
Smash it with a 🔨?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 09, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »
E-ZPass Basic Plan
MTA Bridges and Tunnels/New York State Thruway/Port Authority of NY&NJ/New York State Bridge Authority Basic Plan and the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority (Peace Bridge): No minimum use is required. At all Port Authority facilities, E-ZPass discounts are available. At MTA Bridges and Tunnels, E-ZPass discounts are available. At all New York State Thruway and New York State Bridge Authority facilities, E-ZPass discounts apply. This plan may be used wherever you see the E-ZPass sign displayed.
Plan Code: (STANDARD) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

Commuter Plans
Thruway Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge Commuter Plan: Receive a $2.00 discount per trip ($3.00 versus $5.00 cash rate) on the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge. A minimum of 20 trips per month is required. If fewer than 20 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $3.00 for each trip not taken. Plan Code: (MCC) - Required Prepayment ($60.00).

Thruway Grand Island Commuter Plan: Receive a $0.72 discount per trip ($0.28 versus $1.00 cash rate) on the Grand Island Bridges. A minimum of 20 trips per month is required. If fewer than 20 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $0.28 for each trip not taken. If this plan is selected, the $25 required prepayment in Box B of application is waived. Plan Code: (GIC) - Required Prepayment ($5.00).

Thruway New Rochelle Commuter Plan: Receive a $0.65 discount ($1.10 versus $1.75 cash rate) on New Rochelle Barrier. A minimum of 20 trips per month is required. If fewer than 20 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $1.10 for each trip not taken. Plan Code: (NRC) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

Thruway Yonkers Commuter Plan: Receive a $0.70 discount ($0.55 versus $1.25 cash rate) on Yonkers Barrier. A minimum of 35 trips per month is required. If fewer than 35 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $0.55 for each trip not taken. Plan Code: (YKC) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

Thruway Harriman Commuter Plan: Receive a $0.70 discount ($0.55 versus $1.25 cash rate) on Harriman Barrier. A minimum of 35 trips per month is required. If fewer than 35 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $0.55 for each trip not taken. Discount does not apply when traveling north from Harriman onto the ticketed portion of the Thruway. Plan Code: (HAC) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

New York State Bridge Authority Discount Plan: Receive a $0.50 discount ($1.00 versus the $1.50 cash rate) on the Rip Van Winkle, Kingston-Rhinecliff, Mid-Hudson, Newburgh-Beacon, and the Bear Mountain bridges. A minimum of 17 trips per month is required. If fewer than 17 trips are taken per month, you will be charged $1.00 for each trip not taken. This plan is assigned to a specific E-ZPass Tag. Plan Code: (NYSBA) - Required Prepayment ($25.00).

Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority NY/NJ Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI) offers a 58% discount off the cash toll rate. The plan is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.25 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) at the Bayonne Bridge, Goethals Bridge, or Outerbridge Crossing, provided at least three Staten Island-bound trips are made in a single calendar month that are not otherwise discounted by the Carpool or Green Pass Plan. If three trips are not taken, the customer pays the prevailing E-ZPass (peak or off-peak) rate. All E-ZPass tags on the account apply to the three trip minimum requirement. Plan Code: (PASI)

Thruway Annual Permit Plan: An annual fee covers the toll for the first 30 miles or less per trip on the Thruway ticketed system, except when you cross the Castleton-on-Hudson Bridge, where a $0.62 surcharge is applied. Pay the following amount for each tag depending on which month you sign up: Jan. $88; Feb. $81; Mar. $74; Apr. $67; May $60; Jun. $53; Jul. $46; Aug. $39; Sept. $32; Oct. $24; Nov. $16; Dec. $8. This plan is assigned to a specific E-ZPass Tag. The sale of this plan cannot be refunded after 60 days from plan purchase. Plan Code: (NY12)

Port Authority Truck Volume Discount: The Truck Volume Discount program offers an additional 10% discount on E-ZPass off-peak toll rates for E-ZPass customers with NY or NJ commercial accounts who make 100 or more Port Authority New York-bound trips during non-peak hours. Discounts will be credited directly to qualifying accounts each month without a requirement to register for the program.

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge Commercial Rebate Program: As the result of an MTA Rebate Program, commercial vehicles making a minimum of 11 trips across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in a calendar month using the same E-ZPass New York Commercial and Business account will receive rebates reducing their E-ZPass tolls between 15% and 16%. Tolls are collected only in the Staten Island-bound direction in accordance with federal law. No requirement to enroll for the Rebate Program; all New York Customer Service Center Commercial and Business accounts are automatically enrolled. Please note that passenger vehicle trips are not eligible and your account must be in good standing to receive the rebate. Rebates will continue for eligible accounts as long as the rebate program remains in effect. Plan Code: (VNC)

Resident Discount Plans
MTA Bridges and Tunnels Staten Island Residents (SIR)*: As the result of an MTA Rebate Program, residents are charged an effective toll rate of $5.90 (versus the $19.00 Tolls By Mail) at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, where tolls are collected only in the Staten Island-bound direction in accordance with federal law. Residents with one or two trips in a calendar month will receive a $1.36 rebate of the $7.26 SIR toll. Residents with three or more trips in a calendar month will receive a $0.98 rebate of each $6.88 SIR toll. In the event this rebate program ceases, the SIR toll for accounts with one or two trips will be $7.26 and for accounts with more than two trips will be $6.88. Vehicles must be registered to a valid resident address in Staten Island. Please note that vehicles used for commercial purposes are not eligible for residency plans. Residency status is subject to periodic review. Plan Code: (SIR)

MTA Bridges and Tunnels Rockaway/Broad Channel Residents*: Receive a $3.26 discount per trip ($1.49 versus $4.75 Tolls By Mail) on the Marine Parkway and Cross Bay Bridges. The toll on the Cross Bay Bridge is rebated after each trip by the MTA. Vehicles must be registered to a valid resident address in Rockaway/Broad Channel in one of the following zip codes: 11691, 11692, 11693, 11694, 11695, and 11697. Please note that vehicles used for commercial purposes are not eligible for residency plans. Residency status is subject to periodic review. Plan Code: (RR)

Thruway Grand Island Resident*: Receive a $0.91 discount per trip ($0.09 versus the cash $1.00 per trip) on the Grand Island Bridges. Proof of Grand Island residency required. No minimum usage is required. Residency status is subject to periodic review. If this plan is selected, the $25 required prepayment in Box B of application is waived. Plan Code: (GIR) - Required Prepayment ($5.00).

MTA Staten Island Resident Carpool Plan (SICP)*: Receive a $15.60 discount per trip ($3.40 versus $19.00 cash rate) on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge for passenger vehicles with three or more occupants. Customers must have the switchable HOV E-ZPass tag in their vehicle in order to receive the discount. Vehicles must be registered in Staten Island and be listed on your E-ZPass account. Please visit http://web.mta.info/bandt/html/sicarpol.html for more information on requirements and to request a Staten Island Resident (SIR) HOV E-ZPass Tag. Please note that vehicles used for commercial purposes are not eligible for residency plans. Plan Code: (SICP).

* You must provide a copy of your driver's license, utility bill or lease agreement to demonstrate residency AND a copy of your vehicle registration for each E-ZPass Tag Requested. A vehicle registration may be used on only one E-ZPass account. Residency status is subject to periodic review.

Vehicle Discount Plans
Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
NOTE: The Carpool Plan is no longer available for use at the Bayonne Bridge with the start of Cashless Tolling on February 20, 2017.
The Port Authority Carpool Plan (PACP) is available to Class 1 and 11 vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Port Authority Carpool Plan toll rate is $6.50 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles), provided that there are three or more people in the vehicle and that the vehicle is not engaged in commerce or business (i.e., making or intended to make a profit, including a passenger vehicle for hire). Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)

Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan***: The Port Authority Green Pass Discount Plan (PAGRN) is available to eligible vehicles with E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $7.00 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) during off-peak hours for vehicles on New York's Clean Pass Program Vehicle Eligibility List that pre-register for the program. Plan Code: (PAGRN)

Thruway Motorcycle Discount Plan***: Proof of motorcycle registration is required to receive special motorcycle tag. Motorcycles will be charged 50% of the cash toll rate. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (MTRC)

Thruway Green Pass Discount Plan***: Receive a special 10% discount on all Thruway facilities for Hybrid vehicles that get at least 45 miles to the gallon and meet specific emissions standards as outlined on the Authority's website www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/greentag.html. Cannot be combined with commuter plans. Plan Code: (GREEN)

Thruway Motor Home Discount Plan***: Proof of motor home registration is required to receive the special motor home discount. Motor homes will receive the passenger vehicle rate based on the number of axles on the motor home. Plan Code: (MHM)

*** Proof of vehicle registration is required to receive the special discount rate.

PAY PER TRIP with Standard Plan
PAY PER TRIP with Standard Plan: This is a "post-paid" plan that enables you to link your E-ZPass account to your bank checking account and pay for all your E-ZPass tolls once per day, direct from your bank account, for the days on which you have E-ZPass toll usage. No money is held as "prepaid balance" like with the other E-ZPass plans, there is no need to provide a credit card number, and your account is not charged until you incur tolls (except in some circumstances on the night you sign up). If you optionally provide a backup credit card payment form you will not be required to maintain a deposit for each tag on your account, and the credit card will also serve as a secondary payment method if the bank account withdrawal fails for some reason. For more information see the PAY PER TRIP FAQ. Plan Code: (PPT)

New customers may use the PAY PER TRIP plan if they select the plan description "PAY PER TRIP with Standard Plan" during signup. Existing E-ZPass customers:

So for the 3 rides per month, if I activate that and then use carpool it will cause the 3 times per month to be voided if I don't have 3 times aside for the trip I said car pool for?
  Wonder what the price for a carpool ride is and a 3 times per month ride costs?

Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
NOTE: The Carpool Plan is no longer available for use at the Bayonne Bridge with the start of Cashless Tolling on February 20, 2017.
The Port Authority Carpool Plan (PACP) is available to Class 1 and 11 vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Port Authority Carpool Plan toll rate is $6.50 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles), provided that there are three or more people in the vehicle and that the vehicle is not engaged in commerce or business (i.e., making or intended to make a profit, including a passenger vehicle for hire). Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)

Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority NY/NJ Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI) offers a 58% discount off the cash toll rate. The plan is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.25 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) at the Bayonne Bridge, Goethals Bridge, or Outerbridge Crossing, provided at least three Staten Island-bound trips are made in a single calendar month that are not otherwise discounted by the Carpool or Green Pass Plan. If three trips are not taken, the customer pays the prevailing E-ZPass (peak or off-peak) rate. All E-ZPass tags on the account apply to the three trip minimum requirement. Plan Code: (PASI)

A $0.25 cent difference..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:56:21 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:17 AM »
Being that the cashless tolls are about to come into effect with the Outer Bridge, those that travel to lakewood often should add the commuter plan.

"The Port Authority NY/NJ Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI) offers a 58% discount off the cash toll rate. The plan is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.25 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) at the Bayonne Bridge, Goethals Bridge, or Outerbridge Crossing, provided at least three Staten Island-bound trips are made in a single calendar month that are not otherwise discounted by the Carpool or Green Pass Plan. If three trips are not taken, the customer pays the prevailing E-ZPass (peak or off-peak) rate. All E-ZPass tags on the account apply to the three trip minimum requirement. Plan Code: (PASI)"

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
Being that the cashless tolls are about to come into effect with the Outer Bridge, those that travel to lakewood often should add the commuter plan.

"The Port Authority NY/NJ Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI) offers a 58% discount off the cash toll rate. The plan is available to vehicles with non-commercial plates and private E-ZPass accounts at E-ZPass New York or New Jersey. Enrollment is required. The Plan toll rate is $6.25 per trip (plus $9.50 for each additional axle beyond two axles) at the Bayonne Bridge, Goethals Bridge, or Outerbridge Crossing, provided at least three Staten Island-bound trips are made in a single calendar month that are not otherwise discounted by the Carpool or Green Pass Plan. If three trips are not taken, the customer pays the prevailing E-ZPass (peak or off-peak) rate. All E-ZPass tags on the account apply to the three trip minimum requirement. Plan Code: (PASI)"
Any reason not to enroll? (E-ZPass noob)

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
Any reason not to enroll? (E-ZPass noob)
Not that I can think of, go online and add that code to your account.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile