Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182598 times)

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #380 on: June 03, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
Forgot to take EZ Pass on long road trip. Will adding plates to my account do the trick? Or should I play safe and pay cash?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 03, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Forgot to take EZ Pass on long road trip. Will adding plates to my account do the trick? Or should I play safe and pay cash?
Should work.

i once passed a toll booth without an Ez-pass and the car plates was not on my Ez-pass and i got a $50 fine + the amount of the toll in the mail, then i made a dispute on there website stating that i had a Ez-pass at the time i passed the toll booth just not in the car and it went thru.
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #382 on: June 03, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Should work.

i once passed a toll booth without an Ez-pass and the car plates was not on my Ez-pass and i got a $50 fine + the amount of the toll in the mail, then i made a dispute on there website stating that i had a Ez-pass at the time i passed the toll booth just not in the car and it went thru.
If your plate is already registered to your ezpass account I believe you won't get the fine or have to dispute, they will just charge it to your account. If your plate is not yet on your account you'll get a letter and a fine, but if you add it to your account and dispute then you don't have to pay the fine.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #383 on: June 03, 2019, 03:58:08 PM »
If your plate is already registered to your ezpass account I believe you won't get the fine or have to dispute, they will just charge it to your account. If your plate is not yet on your account you'll get a letter and a fine, but if you add it to your account and dispute then you don't have to pay the fine.
correct, as long as your EZ pass has a plate connected to it, meaning the plate or the vehicle you want to use you should be fine.
 You don't have to worry about any fees, everything will be charged as if you had your EZ pass displayed in your car.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline myi

• View Profile
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 18, 2019, 05:36:12 PM »
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 18, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Anyway to have more than 4 tags per account?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »
Anyway to have more than 4 tags per account?
Don't think there's a way other than creating another account which is truly a pain, that means I have two bills each month from E-ZPass.
 I got to call and see what they can do for me.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Pesach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2019, 07:50:53 PM »
someone asked me, if he has already fines for not paying for the the tolls ,and he had  no ez pass at the time he received  his fines, is there any way of getting those fines removed if the debt collector letter already came to his house?

Offline marky

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 31, 2019, 12:20:01 PM »
If I take out a rental from a private company like a jewish place or from a place like hertz, and use my own ezpass, can I add the cars plate number to my account if I should forget to put my tag up? And that way it's billed for the duration of my rental to the Ezpass and not to the rental company and have to have headaches later on?
 Or do most of these rental companies have the plates added to their own ezpass tags? Hence it would not work properly when adding the plate to my ezpass account for the duration of my rental?
I did it with Avis. I added their Licence plate to my EZ pass Accoun tand was charged all of the toll by license Plate (PA Turnpike) to my Ez pass tag. I was even charged one more toll after I had returned my car, when my car was taken out of the rental company's lot, before I had removed the License plate from my account

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 31, 2019, 10:17:06 PM »
I did it with Avis. I added their Licence plate to my EZ pass Accoun tand was charged all of the toll by license Plate (PA Turnpike) to my Ez pass tag. I was even charged one more toll after I had returned my car, when my car was taken out of the rental company's lot, before I had removed the License plate from my account
  Yeh you had to remove the plate right away.

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 10, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »
Need a ez pass ASAP where can I buy 1 without ordering online and have to wait for it to come ...

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 10, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
Need a ez pass ASAP where can I buy 1 without ordering online and have to wait for it to come ...
Toll booth, Rest areas. YMMV

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/general_info.shtml

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2019, 02:48:56 AM »
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/general_info.shtml
I was once on the way out to a road trip and didn't find any locations close to Brooklyn, but I found out that the MTA has a Mobile Van that travels around, and they also sell EZ-Pass. I was able to find one nearby and within no time I was on my way...

Links below:

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mms.htm

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/location_mta.shtml
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline Boruch Parnes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »
How long does it take for ezpass to come after I order it from MTA?

Online Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »
How long does it take for ezpass to come after I order it from MTA?

From what I know. You will not get a mta one. You will get a ny nj one (that charges $1 a month)
Shloffen Shloft Zich