Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182595 times)

Offline Yossi.

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
EZPass Newbie
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
I am thinking about getting an ezpass. Right now I live in Brooklyn but may move to NJ soon. Does it matter if I apply for an ezpass using the NJ website or the NY? Will I get a resident discount in any of them?

On the website it also says:
Port Authority Carpool Plan: Available All Hours
The Port Authority Carpool toll rate is $3.50 and available to all E-ZPass customers who subscribe to the Carpool Plan. The plan requires that there are three or more people in a vehicle with non-commercial plates. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)

Can I add this plan code to my application if I travel with my kids all the time? we will be 4 in the car but I am not sure if that's considered carpooling...

Anything else I should be aware of? Additional discount? Better plan?

Thanks!

Offline momo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »
it is considered carpooling as long as there are 3 people in the car.

Offline beej

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
yes

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

yes

great thanks! any idea on the resident question? difference between applying in NJ or NY?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
I think there's a Wikipedia page comparing all the fees, it may be outdated though.

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »
You would have to have an adress in either or. But I'm pretty sure some of the tolls are cheaper through ny ezpass
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
great thanks! any idea on the resident question? difference between applying in NJ or NY?

I think one of the differences is if you have NJ EZpass you get different toll rates on the GSP during off peak hours.

Another difference is, if you have get a ticket for running an EZpass in NJ, If you have Nj EZpass you can call an automated system and they will just deduct the toll amount from your EZpass account and waive the fine. If you have NY EZpass and get the ticket in NJ, they cant just take out the money.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
You would have to have an adress in either or. But I'm pretty sure some of the tolls are cheaper through ny ezpass

I left this out of my last post

I think NY EZpass is cheaper for the verrazano.

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
I think one of the differences is if you have NJ EZpass you get different toll rates on the GSP during off peak hours.

Another difference is, if you have get a ticket for running an EZpass in NJ, If you have Nj EZpass you can call an automated system and they will just deduct the toll amount from your EZpass account and waive the fine. If you have NY EZpass and get the ticket in NJ, they cant just take out the money.

why would u get a ticket?? if u don't have your ezpass in the car? if you drove too fast at the booth?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
why would u get a ticket?? if u don't have your ezpass in the car? if you drove too fast at the booth?

Both of the above and more.

If/when you run through the ezpass, many times they will just look up the plate number and bill the account that is linked to that plate instead of mailing you a fine.

When you have a rental car they cant do that. 

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
I actually have the EZPass NY cuz of the discounts that the NJ one doesnt offer.
I know for sure that the Verazzano is cheaper with the NY Ezpass

I live in NJ

There is a monthly $1 fee for the NY EZ pass, I am not sure about the NJ one.

Regarding a ticket - I got in the mail from NJ a few cuz my CC that refills my EX Pass # changed, and I went below the a balance so my account was suspended. So I just filled out the paper and wrotemy EZ Pass account #and mailed a check for the toll amount. (I didnt pay the fine amount) I didnt hear anything back.

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
I actually have the EZPass NY cuz of the discounts that the NJ one doesnt offer.
I know for sure that the Verazzano is cheaper with the NY Ezpass

I live in NJ

Regarding a ticket - I got in the mail from NJ a few cuz my CC that refills my EX Pass # changed, and I went below the a balance so my account was suspended. So I just filled out the paper and wrotemy EZ Pass account #and mailed a check for the toll amount. (I didnt pay the fine amount) I didnt hear anything back.

do you know about the GWB, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel and Battery Tunnel if it makes a difference?

Offline deals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
if u have ny ez pass u get cheaper the Verrazano bridge

onceu get your ezpass make sure to call up and confirm that u have carpool program activated

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

I have NY EZ-Pass and this I did not know.

Are you sure about that?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
I have NY EZ-Pass and this I did not know.

Are you sure about that?

Yes. I also have NY EZpass and I get billed a $1 service charge every month.

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
Yes. I also have NY EZpass and I get billed a $1 service charge every month.
I had NJ ezpass and they used to charge me $1. Then I switched to NY and Im pretty sure they dont but I didnt check recently.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
I am definitely not charged the fee. Just checked the last 3 months.

Maybe I got it before the $1 monthly fee was imposed and I got grandfathered into the old policy.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
do you know about the GWB, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel and Battery Tunnel if it makes a difference?
I am not sure about the discount, but if you are registered for carpool then you could get a discount if you are 3 people in the car

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
I am definitely not charged the fee. Just checked the last 3 months.

Maybe I got it before the $1 monthly fee was imposed and I got grandfathered into the old policy.

From NY ezpass T&C
PANYNJ monthly Account service fee   $1.00

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
I am not sure about the discount, but if you are registered for carpool then you could get a discount if you are 3 people in the car

Then if I dont carpool and I dont use the verazano then there is no real point for me to get an ezpass right? Besides not having to stop at the booth...